Stats: 3,152,213 members, 7,815,241 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Famous Books Of African Authors - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Famous Books Of African Authors (26207 Views)

7 Must Read Books By African Authors / Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 / Help For African Authors At No Charge! (2) (3) (4)

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by reniks(f): 12:36pm On Feb 27, 2006
Only Africans can tell d African story as it should.African authors tell of d African story with passion n life dt is so compelling n brilliant
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by reniks(f): 12:37pm On Feb 27, 2006
Only Africans can tell d African story as it should.African authors tell of d African story with passion n life dt is so compelling n brilliant
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by reniks(f): 12:46pm On Feb 27, 2006
As an English Language undergraduate i av read quite a lot of works by African experience.I love Achebe 4 his portrayal of d Nigerian experience n culture.Isidore Okpewho also treats contemporary African but especially Nigerian.I love South Africa's Athol Fugard,he wrote Sizwe Bansi is dead n Boesman n Lena.Kenya's Ngugi wa Thiongo is good 2.4 humour i love Okot p Bitek's Song of Lawino
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Idekeson(m): 5:00pm On Mar 31, 2006
Weep Not Child - Ngugi Wa Thiong'o.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Ndipe(m): 10:58pm On May 10, 2006
Chinua Achebe's Novel, "Things Fall Apart" is perhaps, Africa's most famous novel. Chei, one of my then friends, a Non-Nigerian was asking me why I always bothered reading about other African novels, when infact, Nigerian writers, like Chinua Achebe was the best. He was quite unhappy that he was passed over for the Nobel Prize that went to Soyinka.

However, my favorite African Novel is "So Long a Letter" by Mariama Ba. The literary qualities of that novel is non-pareil, compared to other novels that I have read. Also read Scarlet song by the same author.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by najila: 1:17am On Sep 09, 2006
If you haven't read anything by Ngugi wa Thion'go start soon. , Weep not Child, The River Between etc
You seem to have ignored the African women writers:
I suggest Ama Ata Aidoo - one of her best plays is Anowa
Then Tsitsi Dangarembga and her novel Nervous Conditions
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by profade1(m): 7:48am On Sep 22, 2006
I know it's been mentioned over and over, but Mariama Ba's book ' So long a letter' is exceptional.

Also the landscapes within by Ben Okri.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Ndipe(m): 10:03pm On Sep 22, 2006
Prof. Ade, good you saw it.

Nna, the day I read the novel, "So Long a Letter" for my SSCE, chei, I was very impressed by the grammar. It was quite popular amongst my classmates. That is my favorite novel of all the novels from African writers. I have written a glowing review about the book on amazon.com. No other novel that I know of can match the literary qualities in So Long a Letter".

I also like Isidore Okpewo's novel, "The Victims". Showcases the pitfalls of polygamy. I did not finish Nervous conditions by Dangeremba, because I was ticked off by her blasphemous comment in the novel. People just need to be careful when writing about the Supreme Being.

Just to let you all know that I am also writing a novel.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by mamaput(f): 10:59pm On Sep 22, 2006
There is this book i read in school But i have forgotten the name.
One of the figuers was called Matamba or something like that and something terrible happened to him.
Please what was the name of that book and what was it all about
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by adetunrayo(f): 6:13pm On Sep 25, 2006
I love Elechi Amadi ''concubine''Our African writers are really talented.

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Ndipe(m): 10:43am On Dec 21, 2006
Who has read Karen King Aribisala? She is from Guyana, and I think married to a Nigerian. She lectures at the University of Lagos and has won a prestigious award in Literature. I have not read her, or rather, just browsed through one of her novels. Reason I am inquiring about her, is that there is a girl that I sort of know who told me that she, Karen is her favorite author from Nigeria. She has paid glowing tributes to this woman's literary work, that I am quite curious to know if anybody has.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Phlota(f): 12:42am On Dec 28, 2006
Anowa-Ama Aita Aidoo
Violence- Festus Iyayi
Anthills of the savannah
Wole Soyinka's 'The lion and the jewel et al.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by carmelily: 3:39pm On May 01, 2007
books by Buchi Emecheta smiley
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 01, 2007
yeah she's quite good! i read "Nairapower' (pacesetters series, then) and also 'In The Ditch' which was autobiographical.

'Wizard of the Crow' by James Ngugi is quite hot right now. Its off the hook.

seriously recommended!!
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by SMC(f): 8:06pm On May 01, 2007
Ndipe:

Who has read Karen King Aribisala? She is from Guyana, and I think married to a Nigerian. She lectures at the University of Lagos and has won a prestigious award in Literature. I have not read her, or rather, just browsed through one of her novels. Reason I am inquiring about her, is that there is a girl that I sort of know who told me that she, Karen is her favorite author from Nigeria. She has paid glowing tributes to this woman's literary work, that I am quite curious to know if anybody has.

Orikinla, where are you? Are you not the expert on King Aribisala? Shebi she is the woman you were falling in love with? Abeg answer Ndipe quick quick o!!! tongue
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Ndipe(m): 10:55am On May 02, 2007
The Beggar's strike by Aminata Sow Fall is another popular African book. The writer, Aminata Sow Fall is from Senegal.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Okejazz(m): 6:21pm On May 04, 2007
Eze goes to school,   grin grin grin

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by hype: 1:33pm On May 10, 2007
Have read a lot of wole soyinkas novels and i think they are really nice and have also read Things fall Apart. Has anyone read. THE NEW MAN by femi Ademiluyi, JOYS OF MOTHERHOOD by Buchi Emecheta, THE BEAUTIFULL ONES ARE NOT YET BORN by  Ayi Kwei Armah.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by kaiserdele: 7:26am On Dec 06, 2007
do you know any african novels made into a movie?
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by yimiton(f): 3:54pm On Dec 06, 2007
Chinue Achebe's Things fall apart is still one of the most popular if not outrightly the most popular novel there is.

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Biabeke(f): 11:25pm On Dec 20, 2007
Pocahontas, thank you so much for bringing back my secondary school memories! I read a lot of Pacesetters series novels. The website address is indeed priceless.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Ndipe(m): 4:29am On Dec 21, 2007
Xala by Sembene Ousmane, "The African Child" by Camara Laye have been adapted into movies.

So long a letter, by Mariama Ba has been adapted into either a play or a drama, though in Senegal.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by SMC(f): 7:55pm On Dec 26, 2007
There are loads of good books from Africa.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by mildflower: 3:29pm On Mar 20, 2008
i must really commend african mostly nigerian authors on their work. i read novels alot and i would say im impressed.i want to encourage everyone to cultivate the habit of reading novels mostly african novels,do this and you will never remain the same
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by oloto(m): 4:59pm On Aug 23, 2008
hi soulful, i have also read the concubine. it was one of the best book i have ever read after treasure island and robinson crusoe. have you read those?
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nila07: 5:19am On Aug 26, 2008
@Ndipe, I love Xala. the movie is very nice too.

like many, Things fall apart is one of my all time favourite.
Houseboy by ferdinand Oyono from cameroon is just excellent
one the best books ever written: Ambiguous Adventure by cheikh hamidou kane, senegal
Weep Not Child
The Sun of Independance Ahmadou kourouma, cote d'ivoire

Maryse conde is not from Africa, she is from Guadeloupe, but she is one of the BEST writers in the world. try and read Segu, its an excellent book
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nawah1: 4:47pm On Aug 26, 2008
chinua achebe- things fall apart
chukwemeka ike-potters will
elechi amadi-the concubine
buchi echemeta-2nd class citizen

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by AmakaOne(f): 5:55pm On Aug 29, 2008
I think I have read all of Buchi Emecheta's books.
Destination Biafra
The Joy's of Motherhood
2nd Class Citizen
The slave girl
The Bride Price
Kehinde

I forget the others. She is really good. I think one of them was even made into a TV series by the BBC?

Flora Nwankpa is also very good.

I think I can truly say that each time I have put down those books I have learnt smething either about myself, the human condition Nigerian Societal history in general.

Onuora Nzekwu's Eze goes to school just reminds me of growing up back home smiley aahh memories of Naija

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by tpia: 8:59pm On Apr 13, 2009
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Pepeye(f): 4:59pm On Apr 14, 2009
Read a few of Buchi Emecheta's books but she's good
The Bride Price
The joy's of motherhood
Second class Citizen
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Pepeye(f): 10:10pm On Apr 14, 2009
Other authors

Arrow of God - Chinua Achebe

The Beautiful Ones are not yet born - Ngugi W'thiongo

The African Child Camara Laye.

The Interpreters- Wole Soyinka

Our husband has gone mad again - Ola Rotimi

The Gods are not to blame- Ola Rotimi

The Lion and the Jewel - Wole Soyinka

The Concubine - Elechi Amadi

Bottled Leopard - Chukwuemeka Ike

A man of the people - Chinua Achebe
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 14, 2009
I read the concubine back to back at least 3 times. I almost cried when Ekwueme died . . . after chasing his dream for so long.

Please Don't Scream (PDS) / 7 Must Read Books By African Authors / SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER