Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Famous Books Of African Authors - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Famous Books Of African Authors (26206 Views)

7 Must Read Books By African Authors / Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 / Help For African Authors At No Charge! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Ndipe(m): 12:14am On Apr 15, 2009
@Davidylan, the one that was shocking to me was the death of Emenike. It was totally unbelievable and filled with suspense, because in the previous page or so, he was making progress in his health, then all of a sudden, the author was writing about his grave and the emotional turmoil of his widow, Ihuoma.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by stateboy: 2:22pm On Apr 16, 2009
Hey guys,check this out :joys of motherhood.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Biabeke(f): 7:15am On Jun 03, 2009
Books written by the late author, Kenule Saro-Wiwa are very interesting. All of his books are great. My favorite books are Sozaboy and The Forest of Flowers. If you are outside Nigeria, you can order them from www.Amazon.com.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by hanneloregula: 3:12am On Sep 07, 2009
hi Thanks for the great blog entry!
financement credit personnel | taux demande simulation pret en ligne à la disposition des particuliers un logiciel pour une simulation de prêt personnel en ligne financement credit personnel | taux demande simulation pret en ligne
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by hanneloregula: 4:47am On Sep 07, 2009
hanneloregula:

hi Thanks for the great blog entry!
financement credit personnel | taux demande simulation pret en ligne à la disposition des particuliers un logiciel pour une simulation de prêt personnel en ligne financement credit personnel | taux demande simulation pret en ligne

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by africhika(f): 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2009
quote from stateboy:
« #65 on: April 16, 2009, 02:22 PM »

Hey guys,check this out :joys of motherho

i love that book. anything by buchi emecheta is good.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by africhika(f): 4:50pm On Sep 07, 2009
Half of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is among my top 5 fav. books. it is brilliant and beautifully written. it's about biafra. as an igbo gal, i beseech all africans to read it. it's not just for igbos. this book changed by life. i've always wondered about biafra and this book helped me to reaffirm my identity, not just as an igbo but as a black african female. i LOVE this book. i shed tears reading it. I smiled reading it.

novels, words, literature is supposed to impact your perspective. touch your soul. progress your journey through life. books by african novels surely do that.

1 Like

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by africhika(f): 4:56pm On Sep 07, 2009
Say Your One of Them by Uwem Akpan
A collection of short stories by a Nigerian Jesuit priest.
this book is truly powerful. Akpan illustrates how CHILDREN are the most affected by war and strife. he describes children left behind rwanda's genocide, children separated by the christian/muslim conflicts in ethiopia and nigeria, etc.

Changes by Ama Ata Aidoo
Aidoo is one of the most forward African feminist/womanist. the novel is not a beautiful story but provides fabulous cultural commentary.

Jagua Nana by Cyprian Ekwensi
a novel from the 1970's i think? a story about the modern urbanite African woman. strong social commentary. it's incredible that a man wrote this book.

Do They Hear You When You Cry by Fauziya Kassidja
Kassindja's personal story describes her journey to America to flee from genital circumcision is a tear-jerker. beautiful story. this book makes me happy to be alive.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by OnoEdosio(m): 2:14pm On Sep 10, 2009
U guys hv said it all.The problem is these books are xtremely difficult to get here in Nigeria.Ive practically spent a fortune on foreign authors n wont mind doubling it on the African books but I SIMPLY CANT FIND THEM ANYWHERE!!!!So my ppl make una helep me nah,abeg biko ejo please, Or where can I get them on the net(free oh!u know now, )
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by osakpor: 9:39am On Sep 12, 2009
Hey hot angel,
Talking about African writers,you guys have failed to recognise the great works of the African French expressionist.Try and read Ferdinard Oyono's The Old And The Medal.Sure you will enjoy it!
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by kuraking(m): 1:53am On Sep 13, 2009
The Gods are not to blame, to me is a classic
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nchnnenna: 7:05pm On Sep 29, 2009
Reading through all these posts, it's like I died and went to heaven
I have read most of Soyinka's and Achebe books.
Also some of the new kids on the block, Chimamanda etc
Please keep the titles coming, I am on a mission to donate some African literature books,
to my son's school library here in the Caribbean and it will be much appreciated
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by semid4lyfe(m): 10:29pm On Sep 29, 2009
Its funny but I read Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart when I was like 8/9 yrs Old and I absolutely loved the novel. I still recall how it happened - I was back in my villa for the long summer hols, was feeling bored and then one day, I stole into my popsie's room (which was out of bounds to we kids) and fapped like 5 novels from his bookshelf. The novels were Things Fall Apart, Toads For Supper, No longer at Ease, The Concubine and The Second Chance.This was a period when I was still reading Secret 7, Famous 5, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys etc and all those fairy tale Enid Blyton novels & I found serious literary stuff boring so it's amazing to me that I read those novels then & actually enjoyed them but till today my favourite remains Things Fall Apart. Chinua Achebe packed all the wisdom in this world into that novel. That novel is a CLASSIC and IMO, it's the best novel written by an African.

Abeg, make una no mention pacesetters for here. Those novels are for kids.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nchnnenna: 2:29pm On Sep 30, 2009
anyone read "Infidel" by Somalian Ayaan Hirsi Ali ? it is amazing, beautiful, unput downable.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by adebayo201: 4:58pm On Sep 30, 2009
[center]INFIDEL[/center]
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by africhika(f): 7:33pm On Sep 30, 2009
infidel?
i just looked it up on amazon. never heard of it. is it like a collection of political commentary or is it a narrative?
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nchnnenna: 7:49pm On Sep 30, 2009
"INFIDEL"
it is biography/Narrative, the Author,
Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a somalian refugee in the Netherlands
became a member of paliament.
It is not only a good story but very thoght provoking!

She also penned "The Caged Virgins" which is more like political commentary
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nchnnenna: 8:06pm On Sep 30, 2009
Here is a book that has just hit 84 on the Best seller on amazon
The story is a great story
"THE BOY WHO HARNESSED THE WIND" by a Malawian farm boy who became a scientist teaching himself- William Kamkwamba

It is a book, I think every African should read

1 Like

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nicefella: 2:01pm On Oct 01, 2009
it thrills me to end to observe that they are still bibliophiles to be found in this present day nigeria that is replete with harsh economic policies resulting
from bad and irresponsive government.i
indeed african authors rank among the best renowned writers in the world.when u look at what Ayi Kwei Amah,Chinua Achebe,Ngugi wa thiong O,
Wole Soyinka etc,has done it becomes very difficult to doubt African writers are indeed rich
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by asamuel: 1:36pm On Apr 29, 2010
buy all your books, DVDs, cameras, laptops, toys, music, online.

visit www,kalahari.com.ng today
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by MyneWhite1(f): 4:31pm On Apr 29, 2010
A Heart to Mend by Myne Whitman

Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by rukayat007: 2:51am On Jul 27, 2010
you can also try www.afriquedepot.com
They have a lot of old Nigerian books
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nomoneydow: 5:05pm On Jul 27, 2010
i still think thing fall apart is one of the greatest book ever written
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nomoneydow: 5:14pm On Jul 27, 2010
nchnnenna:

Reading through all these posts, it's like I died and went to heaven
I have read most of Soyinka's and Achebe books.
Also some of the new kids on the block, Chimamanda etc
Please keep the titles coming, I am on a mission to donate some African literature books,
to my son's school library here in the Caribbean and it will be much appreciated

good idea
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by adetunrayo(f): 4:57pm On Jul 29, 2010
Elechi Amadi's concubine brought tears to my eyes back then.

There was this book I read in sec sch, i forgot the author.I dont mind getting the book again, it was titled
'' dizzy angel ''

The list are endless:

The gods are not to blame
Last chance
Harvest of love
Virgin etc
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nomoneydow: 5:15pm On Jul 29, 2010
adetunrayo:

Elechi Amadi's concubine brought tears to my eyes back then.

There was this book I read in sec sch, i forgot the author.I dont mind getting the book again, it was titled
'' dizzy angel ''

The list are endless:

The gods are not to blame
Last chance
Harvest of love
Virgin etc

the author of dizzy angel is is grace usifo ukala i think
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by adetunrayo(f): 3:10pm On Jul 30, 2010
@ nomoneydow

thanks
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by nomoneydow: 6:27pm On Aug 06, 2010
adetunrayo:

@ nomoneydow

thanks

you are welcome my dear
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by Blum: 5:50pm On Sep 30, 2011
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!
I´m a German living in South Spain and I´m dedicating most of my spare time to reading, reading, talking about books, and reading again. After having read maybe a dozen of African novels - amongst them "Things fall apart" and "Anthills in the Savannah" by Chinua Achebe, "Ake" by Sole Woyinka and "Sozaboy" by Ken Saro-Wiwa - I´m now looking for more. And YOUR discussion gave me the feeling of finally having found a solution which is not a European-centered one. I will hold my eyes wide open now looking for
- Chinua Achebe: "Arrow of God",
- Ngugi wa Thiong´o: "Weep not child",
- Peter Abrahams: "Mine Boy",
- Wole Soyinka: "The Lion and the Jewel",
- Mariama Bâ: "So Long a Letter",
- Elechi Amadi: "The Concubine",
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: "Half of a Yellow Sun",
- Chukwuemeka Ike: "Toads for Supper",
- Buchi Emecheta: "The Joys of Motherhood", and
- Ama Ata Aidoo: "Changes".

I think that´s quite a good selection, isn´t it?
Thank you again - SO MUCH!
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by enomakos(m): 5:53pm On Oct 02, 2011
thanks every one

those lists book were some of my best books as a kid
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by omoba4real: 10:57pm On Oct 07, 2011
Check out african books from this blog http://sunshinebookseller..com/ I think they have african authors books at very cheap prices.
Re: Famous Books Of African Authors by MadMax1(f): 4:12pm On Oct 08, 2011
Blum, you might aalso add Achebe's A Man of the People, The Man Died by Soyinka, A Grain of Wheat by Wa Thiongo, Perpetua and the Habit of Unhappiness by Mongo Beti, The Famished Road by Ben Okri, and The Life and Times of Michael K. The last two books are Booker Prize winners. The three countries that issue Africa's best writing are Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa. Look for excellent authors from those countries.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Don't Scream (PDS) / 7 Must Read Books By African Authors / SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.