Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,727 members, 7,955,758 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:28 PM

New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) (933 Views)

Tithe: Akpororo Blasts Daddy Freeze Again. Has This Question For Him / Why Pastors Use Private Jets And A Question For OAP Freeze - By Ife Olaleye / What created God ? A Response To Atheist Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by finalboss(m): 8:16pm On Apr 17, 2020
I’ve often been in situations where a loved one is having a hard time or is suffering terribly. What do you tell them to comfort or encourage them, since it may be silly for us to say that we’re praying for them?
I’ll often say “I’m thinking about you so much today!” or “You are so important to me.” How do we show compassion and support without invoking divine help?

In your opinion, is it ever wise to say something like “You know that I don’t believe in a divine power, but I’ve said a prayer for you, just in case, because I will try anything to help you”??

1 Like

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by Ndukings92(m): 8:27pm On Apr 17, 2020
I feel ur pain,although I can't begin to imagine the grief u are trying to subdue but its all going to be well soon. pls be strong

1 Like

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by babyfaceafrica: 9:10pm On Apr 17, 2020
In your opinion, is it ever wise to say something like “You know that I don’t believe in a divine power, but I’ve said a prayer for you, just in case, because I will try anything to help you”??

If it will make them feel better.. You could say that.. Let people know your stand on religion without been aggressive.. I have seems tons of atheist who will say anything to bring down your religion.. This is unfair!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by CAPSLOCKED: 9:38pm On Apr 17, 2020
A LOT OF PEOPLE MAY HATE ME FOR THIS BUT IT'S THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH, AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PRETEND.
IN CASE THEY DON'T KNOW, I'D REMIND THEM OF HOW THE WORLD WORKS. HOW WE AREN'T SPECIAL, AND ARE ALL JUST SURVIVING BY LUCK.
THESE PROBLEMS ARE ALWAYS A PART OF US AND THE ONLY WAY WE FINALLY ESCAPE THEM IS WHEN WE STOP BREATHING.

DEPENDING ON THEIR SITUATION, I'M GOING TO ASSURE THEM TO HAVE HOPE IN THE CHANCE THAT THINGS "MAY" GET BETTER. WE ALWAYS HOPE FOR GOOD THINGS, BUT WE SHOULD ALWAYS EXPECT THE WORST UNPLEASANT THINGS BECAUSE THAT'S ALWAYS THE END OF ALL OF THESE THINGS WE'RE DOING HERE. NO MATTER WHAT WE DO, WE'RE DESTINED TO LOSE IN THE END.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by emmaodet: 10:11pm On Apr 17, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
A LOT OF PEOPLE MAY HATE ME FOR THIS BUT IT'S THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH, AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PRETEND.
IN CASE THEY DON'T KNOW, I'D REMIND THEM OF HOW THE WORLD WORKS. HOW WE AREN'T SPECIAL, AND ARE ALL JUST SURVIVING BY LUCK.
THESE PROBLEMS ARE ALWAYS A PART OF US AND THE ONLY WAY WE FINALLY ESCAPE THEM IS WHEN WE STOP BREATHING.

DEPENDING ON THEIR SITUATION, I'M GOING TO ASSURE THEM TO HAVE HOPE IN THE CHANCE THAT THINGS "MAY" GET BETTER. WE ALWAYS HOPE FOR GOOD THINGS, BUT WE SHOULD ALWAYS EXPECT THE WORST UNPLEASANT THINGS BECAUSE THAT'S ALWAYS THE END OF ALL OF THESE THINGS WE'RE DOING HERE. NO MATTER WHAT WE DO, WE'RE DESTINED TO LOSE IN THE END.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
At the bolded, very touching.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by MacCantStopMe: 10:23pm On Apr 17, 2020
If somebody is suffering, the best thing to do is-

1. to console them; tell them that you empathise with the hardship they are going through

2. to ask if there is anything you can do to help. Even just making tea for the person can bring a smile

3 Likes

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by finalboss(m): 12:26am On Apr 18, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

Hmm
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by Nobody: 1:34am On Apr 18, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

What is TRUTH, what is absolute TRUTH?
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by Omar09(m): 7:18am On Apr 18, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

I've figured why I follow you. Posts like this to me tbh it's not scary but a guide. It always reminds me that in the end it will look like I was never here (in this world) in the first place. And that whatever I do, I should be able to choose my fights and know what's worth giving up for.

Damn it Caps!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by babyfaceafrica: 7:41am On Apr 18, 2020
greatbygrace:

What is TRUTH, what is absolute TRUTH?
I like this question
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by LordReed(m): 8:41am On Apr 18, 2020
finalboss:
I’ve often been in situations where a loved one is having a hard time or is suffering terribly. What do you tell them to comfort or encourage them, since it may be silly for us to say that we’re praying for them?
I’ll often say “I’m thinking about you so much today!” or “You are so important to me.” How do we show compassion and support without invoking divine help?

Stuff like "I am praying for you" is actually all about emotional support, its not actually about doing something concrete so anything you say that shows the same level of emotional support is fine imo.

I no longer say "I am praying for you", I say things I feel are appropriate for the situation.

1 Like

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by Bojack(m): 9:57am On Apr 18, 2020
Saying things like "it will get better" will do
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by MacCantStopMe: 11:07am On Apr 18, 2020
Bojack:
Saying things like "it will get better" will do

That's lying.

1 Like

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by LordReed(m): 11:31am On Apr 18, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

This is the harsh reality religions attempt to shield us from, with their pretty stories of magic powers of a god or gods who care about what happens to men. Just like adults who realise there is no Father Xmas but still need to provide hope and motivation to the young who still believe, we who see reality for what it is are also in such a position of responsibility. Sometimes you want to scream at them for believing so childishly, other times you allow them dance their childish pantomimes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by LordReed(m): 11:41am On Apr 18, 2020
MacCantStopMe:

That's lying.

Maybe but it is hope giving which is probably all you can do in such situations. The ability to tell imaginative stories is part of the reason we are able to manipulate our environment more successfully than other animal species.
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by MacCantStopMe: 11:43am On Apr 18, 2020
LordReed:

Maybe but it is hope giving which is probably all you can do in such situations. The ability to tell imaginative stories is part of the reason we are able to manipulate our environment more successfully than other animal species.

I vehemently disagree. False hope is dangerous

1 Like

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by LordReed(m): 11:46am On Apr 18, 2020
MacCantStopMe:

It is not false to hope that things will get better nor is it false to express such hope.
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by MacCantStopMe: 11:51am On Apr 18, 2020
LordReed:

It is not false to hope that things will get better nor is it false to express such hope.

My understanding from the op is someone who is suffering terminally. Someone who is going to die. heaven is a way of consoling the person.

Now, you as an atheist who knows heaven is not real, how do you comfort the dying person without false hope? Use false hope and you are no better than the religious charlatan....

1 Like

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by LordReed(m): 11:56am On Apr 18, 2020
MacCantStopMe:

My understanding from the op is someone who is suffering terminally. Someone who is going to die. heaven is a way of consoling the person.

Now, you as an atheist who knows heaven is not real, how do you comfort the dying person without false hope? Use false hope and you are no better than the religious charlatan....

Huh? There is nothing in the OP about terminal illness or death. Maybe read it again. In any case that is a different situation. Everyone knows death has a certain finality to even if they believe in an afterlife, the person will no longer exist in this world. I think assuring the person of your love is the best thing you can do at that point.

1 Like

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by CAPSLOCKED: 11:58am On Apr 18, 2020
LordReed:

This is the harsh reality religions attempt to shield us from, with their pretty stories of magic powers of a god or gods who care about what happens to men. Just like adults who realise there is no Father Xmas but still need to provide hope and motivation to the young who still believe, we who see reality for what it is are also in such a position of responsibility. Sometimes you want to scream at them for believing so childishly, other times you allow them dance their childish pantomimes.

WHEN I TALK LIKE THAT CHRISTIANS CALL ME SATAN'S AGENT, AND REJECT ME IN JESUS NAME. IT'S FUNNY.
THEY'LL KEEP DOING "IT'S NOT MY PORTION" UNTIL IT HAPPENS, THEN THEY SWITCH TO "GOD KNOWS BEST".
THE TRUTH ABOUT LIFE IS THAT THERE'S NO ESCAPING REALITY, AND AT THE END OF THE DAY REAL LIFE TAKES IT'S CAUSE IRRESPECTIVE OF WHATEVER YOU FEEL IN YOUR HEART WHEN YOU PRAY TO WHATEVER YOU BELIEVE. WE'RE NOT SPECIAL. GOOD AND BAD THINGS WILL KEEP HAPPENING..... UNTIL WE DIE.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by MacCantStopMe: 11:59am On Apr 18, 2020
LordReed:

Huh? There is nothing in the OP about terminal illness or death. Maybe read it again. In any case that is a different situation. Everyone knows death has a certain finality to even if they believe in an afterlife, the person will no longer exist in this world. I think assuring the person of your love is the best thing you can do at that point.

I was only getting you to think about a terminal situation
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by CAPSLOCKED: 12:02pm On Apr 18, 2020
MacCantStopMe:

IT IS NOT FALSE HOPE TO SAY THAT THINGS WILL GET BETTER. AFTERALL, THINGS MAY GET BETTER.

HOWEVER, IT IS FALSE HOPE TO BELIEVE THERE'S SOMETHING PROTECTING "YOU" FROM ABOVE AND MAKING REALLY WONDERFUL PLANS JUST FOR "YOU" AND YOUR FAMILY.

1 Like

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by MacCantStopMe: 12:03pm On Apr 18, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

IT IS NOT FALSE HOPE TO SAY THAT THINGS WILL GET BETTER. AFTERALL, THINGS MAY GET BETTER.

HOWEVER, IT IS FALSE HOPE TO BELIEVE THERE'S SOMETHING PROTECTING "YOU" FROM ABOVE AND MAKING REALLY WONDERFUL PLANS JUST FOR "YOU" AND YOUR FAMILY.

I was talking in terms of a terminal illness where it will not get better
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by CAPSLOCKED: 12:08pm On Apr 18, 2020
MacCantStopMe:

I was talking in terms of a terminal illness where it will not get better

STEPHEN HAWKING WAS TOLD HE HAD JUST A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO LIVE. HE WENT ON TO LIVE MORE DECADES.

THINGS "MAY" GET BETTER IN EVERY SITUATION.

2 Likes

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by MacCantStopMe: 12:20pm On Apr 18, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

STEPHEN HAWKING WAS TOLD HE HAD JUST A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO LIVE. HE WENT ON TO LIVE MORE DECADES.

THINGS "MAY" GET BETTER IN EVERY SITUATION.

So you are into miracles and low odds of success/survival?
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by LordReed(m): 12:24pm On Apr 18, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

WHEN I TALK LIKE THAT CHRISTIANS CALL ME SATAN'S AGENT, AND REJECT ME IN JESUS NAME. IT'S FUNNY.
THEY'LL KEEP DOING "IT'S NOT MY PORTION" UNTIL IT HAPPENS, THEN THEY SWITCH TO "GOD KNOWS BEST".
THE TRUTH ABOUT LIFE IS THAT THERE'S NO ESCAPING REALITY, AND AT THE END OF THE DAY REAL LIFE TAKES IT'S CAUSE IRRESPECTIVE OF WHATEVER YOU FEEL IN YOUR HEART WHEN YOU PRAY TO WHATEVER YOU BELIEVE. WE'RE NOT SPECIAL. GOOD AND BAD THINGS WILL KEEP HAPPENING..... UNTIL WE DIE.

Fact. Nothing hits harder than reality. This coronavirus situation ought to highlight that fact to them a little more, even though I know they'll still hide themselves and be claiming Jesus magic.

One thing I like about my current situation is I am not afraid of this fact you outlined GOOD AND BAD THINGS WILL KEEP HAPPENING..... UNTIL WE DIE. Somehow I even find it comforting, the fact that just like the weather change is inevitable. I eat my daily bread with rejoicing, savouring every single bite, even if it is garri without sugar I am drinking and I am content.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by MacCantStopMe: 12:30pm On Apr 18, 2020
LordReed:

Fact. Nothing hits harder than reality. This coronavirus situation ought to highlight that fact to them a little more, even though I know they'll still hide themselves and be claiming Jesus magic.

One thing I like about my current situation is I am not afraid of this fact you outlined GOOD AND BAD THINGS WILL KEEP HAPPENING..... UNTIL WE DIE. Somehow I even find it comforting, the fact that just like the weather change is inevitable. I eat my daily bread with rejoicing, savouring every single bite, even if it is garri without sugar I am drinking and I am content.

You sound like a mad man. I am an atheist myself.

Reality is often depressing and sober. Happiness is fleeting when you know it will all end...
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by CAPSLOCKED: 12:37pm On Apr 18, 2020
LordReed:

FOR REAL. WE'LL JUST KEEP PRETENDING AND FORMING ACTIVITIES LIKE EVERYONE. GO TO SCHOOL BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS GOING. GET A JOB CUS EVERYONE ELSE IS WORKING. YOU KNOW, JUST KEEP BEING BUSY WITH ALL THESE IRRELEVANT THINGS UNTIL THE TIME IS UP.

I ALWAYS TELL PEOPLE THAT WE'RE NOT SPECIAL. WE'RE JUST LIKE RATS AND COCKROACHES EXCEPT THAT WE THINK BETTER AND BUILD STRUCTURES AND MACHINES.

ONCE OUR BODIES HAVE HAD ENOUGH THEY JUST SHUT DOWN, AND THERE'S NO MAGIC ANYWHERE THAT CAN STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING. AND THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE REALITY. WE CAN'T PRAY ALL THESE THINGS AWAY.

AS A CHRISTIAN, THAT YOU'RE NOT IN THAT TERMINAL POINT IS NOT BECAUSE YOU'RE FAVOURED, OR BECAUSE OF YOUR PRAYERS, LIKE YOU'VE CONDITIONED YOURSELF TO BELIEVE. THOSE IN UNPLEASANT SITUATIONS WERE ONCE LIKE YOU, STEADFAST IN THEIR FAITH UNTIL TRAGEDY STRIKES.

GOOD AND BAD WILL KEEP HAPPENING TO US ALL. IT'S LIFE. WE DEAL WITH IT.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by LordReed(m): 12:39pm On Apr 18, 2020
MacCantStopMe:

You sound like a mad man. I am an atheist myself.

Reality is often depressing and sober. Happiness is fleeting when you know it will all end...

LoL! Do I care what I sound like? Not really, I am expressing my feelings. They don't always make sense, that is why you have facts. Facts make sense no matter what you feel. Fact is I know I am going to die someday but right now I don't care. LMFAO!
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by kevoh(m): 12:40pm On Apr 18, 2020
finalboss:

To me, there's a thin line between being a jerk/d*ck/idiot and arguing religious matters for argument sake. There is a time and place for arguing what you believe or lack a belief in.

If someone is terminally ill or just needs comforting, that is not the time for you to be a jerk/idiot, by announcing that you don't believe in X or Y as the person who needs the comforting. You are no different from the religious zealots who do this to non-believers in time of need. There are comforting phrases that you can say that do not necessarily involve your beliefs or lack of.

1 Like

Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 18, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

I'm not condemning your words. But they aren't true. Not even close to maybe...

your words aren't true to me or for me. maybe they are to you, but you can't finalize everything by saying "We're destined to lose in the end".

it's as factitious as much as you atheist say Jesus is fictitious.

I don't know what you know or believe brotherly, but Jesus died and rose up again having gained the victory and conquered darkness that had been upon me and my destiny. Now I'm happy to be in the light and truth because Jesus won in the end and was never destined to lose. I mean, this Great Person that came to Earth as a man and finished it all — my mentor

Who is your mentor? your belief right? That there is no God?

Someone once told me "It is what you believe that works for you"

If you believe what you've said, then I personally don't believe it. I believe in "I am destined to win at the end"

Your last statement was just 'fables of the heart' — I could write a book on it
Re: New Question For You Guys! (atheist Only) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 18, 2020
emmaodet:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm At the bolded, very touching.
Seriously??

(1) (2) (Reply)

All Bro Gbile Akanni Messages Or Sermons Free Downloads / Can I Commit Suicide And Go To Heaven / What Is God's Kingdom?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.