Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken (2958 Views)

States Are Preparing To Receive Coronavirus Vaccines As Early As December 11 / Finally Covid-19 Vaccine Has Been Discovered In Paris, France. / Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by ProsperChild: 1:12pm On Apr 18, 2020
First Person to Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine has finally Spoken

The injection, applied to the left shoulder, lasted only a few seconds. But with it came the hopes of a world locked in a battle with coronavirus and no small amount of personal risk.
Jennifer Haller, a 44-year-old mother of two, did not flinch in the corner of the Seattle laboratory as the man in a face mask and blue gloves made the injection.
She had made up her mind long before the morning in March on which she became the first person in any country to receive a possible vaccine for Covid-19, according to US researchers.

Weeks earlier Ms Haller, an operations manager at a tech start-up, had spotted a call-out for participants in the historic trial on Facebook. She decided to opt-in.
“Even at that time we were all feeling so helpless,” she told The Telegraph from her self-isolation in Washington state. “There was nothing I could do to stop this global pandemic. Then I saw this opportunity come up and thought: ‘Well, maybe there is something I can do to contribute.’”

Looking on as things once taken for granted – freedom of movement, the right to work – began to disappear under the shadow of Covid-19, the trial offered something tangible. “It gave me some sense of control,” Ms Haller said. “We’re all so out of control and helpless. This just gave me something that I could hold on to that could be helpful.”

The final yes was not instantaneous, however. As she went through the medical checks needed to get approved for the trial, concerns were raised by her friends and family. Her husband wondered whether it really was safe. The couple had allowed their son to take part in a few medical studies while an infant, but this was different.

The trial, run by Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle, would involve two doses of an experimental vaccine being given 28 days apart, then a year of monitoring.

The vaccine, named mRNA-1273, had been tested on animals and showed promise. This was the first time it would be used on a human.
The trial would not actually involve injecting any part of Covid-19 itself, a point Ms. Haller used to reassure her concerned loved ones. But that did not guarantee a smooth ride.
The 45 pages of disclaimers given beforehand spelled out the uncertainties, not least that participants could be more vulnerable to catching coronavirus afterward. She signed anyway. “There was a tonne of risks involved. But I’m a real positive person and the benefits of this far outweighed any risks in my mind,” she said.

It is hard to over-exaggerate just how much is riding on this trial, and scores of similar ones now taking place

Readers can also get more details here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/13/proud-help-first-person-world-trial-coronavirus-vaccine-describes/

2 Likes

Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by dawnomike(m): 1:56pm On Apr 18, 2020
Thanks Jenny

2 Likes

Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by Amhappy(f): 2:07pm On Apr 18, 2020
Brave woman. Some people must take the risk and bad the lab rats for the good of others. I pray it goes well.

1 Like

Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by Jamesbiodun(m): 3:37pm On Apr 18, 2020
finally we are getting there
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by Commonsense99: 3:42pm On Apr 18, 2020
shocked
While some people are propagating rumours of 5g and other conspiracy theories, a white woman had just volunteered her as an experimental rabbit tomorrow if the vaccine works all, these rumour mongering retards will be the still come back to benefit from thiisas usual.

1 Like

Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 18, 2020
cry

1 Like

Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by lilbarracuda(m): 4:57pm On Apr 18, 2020
Good news!!!!
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by Blossomfirst(f): 5:07pm On Apr 18, 2020
Hmm
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by AgentGoat: 5:18pm On Apr 18, 2020
God's speed

1 Like

Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by PureGoldh(m): 5:20pm On Apr 18, 2020
The woman get strong mind ooh...Wish her more life
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by ELibraryNG: 6:12pm On Apr 18, 2020
ProsperChild:

The 45 pages of disclaimers given beforehand spelled out the uncertainties, not least that participants could be more vulnerable to catching coronavirus afterward.

Readers can also get more details here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/13/proud-help-first-person-world-trial-coronavirus-vaccine-describes/

Someone should please explain this part
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by Meteng: 6:27pm On Apr 18, 2020
I wan see the chip inserted into her skin :
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by TkhGuy(m): 6:51pm On Apr 18, 2020
[quote author
[/quote]

I have this to say, Nigerians, I repeat do not believe any of this stories, to me it's just a story to entice you black to accept being used as lab rat, the western world spread HIV Aid to African through vacin US the same US I am certain they will be using bill GATEs to spread this corona Virus in the name of vacin
. Do not accept any vacin! Do not accept any vacin !

1 Like

Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by paxonel(m): 7:08pm On Apr 18, 2020
She did well.

But what is the article saying in conclusion, did the vaccine cure her, is there hope?

People want to hear that there is now a vaccine for it, that is the hope we want
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by koxyz: 7:18pm On Apr 18, 2020
TkhGuy:
[/quote][quote author=TkhGuy post=88591818]
Then what should we accept
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by megareal: 7:57pm On Apr 18, 2020
Thank you for opting to be the human guinea pig for the betterment of humanity. Here lies the massive difference between a white person and an African.
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by suremanpatriot: 11:52pm On Apr 18, 2020
American people care for their younger generations alot. shocked
Not like evil old african rulers tht destroy their youths
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by seunlayi(m): 3:15am On Apr 19, 2020
suremanpatriot:
American people care for their younger generations alot. shocked
Not like evil old african rulers tht destroy their youths
this difference is the base of all our problems in this part of the world
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by bobkezel(m): 3:51am On Apr 19, 2020
Heads up.
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by ruggedtimi(m): 6:31am On Apr 19, 2020
But this news is about a month old.
Re: The First Person To Receive Coronavirus Trial Vaccine Has Finally Spoken by TheSourcerer: 11:06am On Apr 19, 2020
Commonsense99:
shocked
While some people are propagating rumours of 5g and other conspiracy theories, a white woman had just volunteered her as an experimental rabbit tomorrow if the vaccine works all, these rumour mongering retards will be the still come back to benefit from thiisas usual.
Normal

(1) (Reply)

God Has Done It Im HIV Negative While My Girlfriend Is Posi / Bizarre: Woman Gives Birth To Conjoined Twins With Three Legs In Benue(pic) / Ladies, Say Goodbye To Dark Knuckles With These 3 Items (must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.