Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,881 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) (6500 Views)

Russia: Every Thing Russia Touched, Collapsed / Deadly Canadian Sniper "Wali" Reappears, Blasts Russian Propaganda That He Died / Nashville Bombing Suspect Anthony Quinn Warner Died In Explosion, Police Confirm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Explorers(m): 7:04pm On Apr 18, 2020
A First World War soldier's bedroom has lain completely untouched in his former home since he died from injuries 102 years ago.

Dragoons' Second Lieutenant Hubert Rochereau died in an English field ambulance after fighting in the village of Loker, Flanders, on 26 April 1918.

His heartbroken parents, initially unable to locate their son's body, said they would turn his bedroom into a permanent shrine to his memory.

Mr Rochereau was buried in a British cemetery and lay undiscovered by his family until four years after the war ended, in 1922.

He was repatriated to a graveyard at his home village of Bélâbre, 44 miles from Poitiers, south-western France.

His bedroom, where he was also born, remains untouched to this day as a permanent memorial.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Explorers(m): 7:05pm On Apr 18, 2020
When his heartbroken parents bequeathed the house in 1935 they bricked up the entrance to the room and stipulated to the new owner, French General Eugene Bridoux, that no item was to be moved from the room for 500 years.

A pistol, knives and drawing remain on his desk.

The house's owners have said they will not move any items from the room

The pistol and pipe lying on the desk are pictured below.

Pictured below are MR Rochereau's military boots still sitting underneath his bookshelf in his bedroom.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Explorers(m): 7:05pm On Apr 18, 2020
The moth-eaten military jacket he wore is pictured above, still hanging where he left it 102 years ago.

It is unclear whether, if the house is sold again, the items still in the room will be moved.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Froshloaded: 7:05pm On Apr 18, 2020
Ok
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Shellsploit: 7:06pm On Apr 18, 2020
Uncle Explorers on the beat again!

Lalasticlala, leave "Texas chainsaw massacre" movie and come fast!

8 Likes

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by starbuck(f): 7:07pm On Apr 18, 2020
Honestly, they should move on, there's no need still holding on to what's gone cry cry cry...

For 500 hundred years undecided undecided, they should thank their stars that this isn't Africa, the siblings, children, ụmụnna and ụmụada for don share the properties and move on to enjoy their lives

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Plut01: 7:11pm On Apr 18, 2020
Where are the cobwebs?

1 Like

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Explorers(m): 7:14pm On Apr 18, 2020
Plut01:
Where are the cobwebs?

They clean, the entrance was first blocked but later removed buy another buyer.

I think 'touch' here means remove or move. Nothing has been moved. Just like a museum.

6 Likes

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by divinehand2003(m): 7:15pm On Apr 18, 2020
Surely this very room has been properly cleaned for years

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by timibare(m): 7:16pm On Apr 18, 2020
So no cobwebs en dust in that country wow
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Plut01: 7:33pm On Apr 18, 2020
Explorers:

They clean, the entrance was first blocked but later removed buy another buyer.

I think 'touch' here means remove or move. Nothing has been moved. Just like a museum.

'I think!' Not affirmative enough.
Sounds reasonable to some extent though, especially when original writer of the article is not here.

Modified*

The article says the room was completely left untouched.
I'm still thinking of how possible it can be to get rid of dust and cobwebs from such room with everything intact as they were placed/left by the owner.

1 Like

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by CAPSLOCKED: 7:33pm On Apr 18, 2020
EVEN TIDIER THAN MY ROOM RN.. BUT I NO SEND.

24 Likes

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Shaprara: 7:34pm On Apr 18, 2020
Explorers:
A First World War soldier's bedroom has lain completely untouched in his former home since he died from injuries 102 years ago.

Dragoons' Second Lieutenant Hubert Rochereau died in an English field ambulance after fighting in the village of Loker, Flanders, on 26 April 1918.

His heartbroken parents, initially unable to locate their son's body, said they would turn his bedroom into a permanent shrine to his memory.

Mr Rochereau was buried in a British cemetery and lay undiscovered by his family until four years after the war ended, in 1922.

He was repatriated to a graveyard at his home village of Bélâbre, 44 miles from Poitiers, south-western France.

His bedroom, where he was also born, remains untouched to this day as a permanent memorial.

Untouched lol, so he lay him bed before he go fight the war, sweep the room, everything clean and arranged lol
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by chariisGRACE(m): 7:39pm On Apr 18, 2020
All I see is MONEY.
Cool cash if auctioned

4 Likes

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by DanseMacabre(m): 7:39pm On Apr 18, 2020
Shaprara:

Untouched lol, so he lay him bed before he go fight the war, sweep the room, everything clean and arranged lol

Dem tell you say him just wake from sleep run go fight before

4 Likes

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Escalze(m): 8:02pm On Apr 18, 2020
Nice thread
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Nobody: 8:10pm On Apr 18, 2020
All Na still VANITY!!
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Jokerman(m): 8:44pm On Apr 18, 2020
Wow... See people who have value and understand what history means. embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by HITMEUP4ANYBIZ(m): 8:45pm On Apr 18, 2020
any deal ? grin

Interesting, just like I turned my secondary uniform into a memorabilia, all the signatures and dirts are still on the shirt, perfectly hanged in my dad’s room

1 Like

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by chelseamann(m): 8:46pm On Apr 18, 2020
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by INTEGRITYA1(m): 8:49pm On Apr 18, 2020
Nice work from you fellow, keep exploring.
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Omoluabi16(m): 8:52pm On Apr 18, 2020
starbuck:
Honestly, they should move on, there's no need still holding on to what's gone cry cry cry...

For 500 hundred years undecided undecided, they should thank their stars that this isn't Africa, the siblings, children, ụmụnna and ụmụada for don share the properties and move on to enjoy their lives
lol about the umunnas. But this is their way of preserving whatever legacy the lad had. At least we get to see stuff from 100 years ago.

3 Likes

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Aidejay(m): 8:55pm On Apr 18, 2020
No wonder Americans have haunted houses and ghosts terrorising people anyhow, When they won't just fckin let go.
I mean there is a thin line in between obsession and idolisation. Stuff like this end up messing with their psyches and before you know they are dancing thriller.

1 Like

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Ishilove: 8:58pm On Apr 18, 2020
It's time to move on, folks. I will not allow these things remain if I were the house owners. It's creepy and it's like tying the man's spirit to the house. Sheesh
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Makavelli25: 9:23pm On Apr 18, 2020
This is weird and wonderful
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by Asuito7(m): 9:41pm On Apr 18, 2020
Since 1918? I don't believe this. Look at the bed well arrange. Nothing eat it unlike the clothes. Look at how the window is clean in and out, no dust. Even the table.

Someone has been entering that room touching, sweeping, cleaning, reading the books on the shelf and many more since 1918, if not the room wouldn't look like that.

The picture would have been so poignant and striking if the room was left untouched since 1918 that nobody needs to tell you that the room don teeeyyyyyy untouchable.

4 Likes

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by prof800(m): 9:47pm On Apr 18, 2020
Wow! What a relic!
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by elpochas: 9:55pm On Apr 18, 2020
starbuck:

Guy u na savage o.laugh wan kill me o.my people for don sell d land wey d room dey to like 5people.

1 Like

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by TGMISKY(m): 9:59pm On Apr 18, 2020
Wow. That's nice. But after seeing some horror movies (especially Conjuring), I don't think I'd live in such a house

2 Likes

Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by tillaman(m): 10:50pm On Apr 18, 2020
cool
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by austine4real(m): 11:05pm On Apr 18, 2020
Just like a museum

Sparkling clean �
Re: WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) by joshjc(m): 11:16pm On Apr 18, 2020
Hmm,great setting for an haunted movie

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING! Yet Another Murder By Racist Cops In Amerika / Mugabe Calls Top Us Official 'an Idiot' / Japanese Are Getting Surgery To Look Like Donuts (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.