Stats: 3,154,695 members, 7,823,956 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida (67998 Views)

My Life As A 29-Year-Old Nigerian In Accra, Ghana / NAF Acquires Super Tucano Aircraft (Photo) / Akwa Ibom Government Acquires Two New Aircraft For Ibom Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by prophetfire: 4:07pm On Apr 21, 2020
oweniwe:
WW2 plane grin
why is our govt always operating in de past? This is a relic being reproduced for us. Can this rubbish survive even a minimal air defense system? I tireoo.
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by Vainglory: 5:24pm On Apr 21, 2020
Can this thing fly from Florida to Nigeria?
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by WaleRock: 6:05pm On Apr 21, 2020
Biodun556:

See role of the two aircraft

Your argument is quite valid, bro.

However,

1. Ground attack seems equivalent to counter-insurgency attack to me

2. What is the history of it's use - both successes and shortcomings

3. Could it be that it's tagged 'counter-insurgency' specifically for commercial purpose, especially if those countries engaged in counter-insurgency campaigns haven't been using it?
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by WaleRock: 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
Biodun556:

See role of the two aircraft

Having gone through it's operational history, I'm convinced it can fly.

Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by Basher8583: 6:32pm On Apr 21, 2020
PHijo:

To start with, who are my people?
To start with, Peter Obi's records are there to show his source of income. He built businesses prior to becoming governor. Those businesses still exist.

On Tinubu we don't have any prove of any legitimate business he was involved in prior to his becoming governor.

Who Peter Obi is, where he comes form, where he studied are not issues of debate, they are out in public space.

To start with, Lagos used to be Nigeria's capital between 1960 and 1991. That a lot of Igbo people are in Lagos has nothing to do with Peter Obi's performance.

Tinubu left over 200 billion Naira debt with barely anything yo show it. Coupled with that, his company takes a cut of tax Naira paid to the government of Lagos.

Peter Obi left Anambra state with dividends yielding investments and over 11 billion Naira in cash. Human capital development index improved under him. Through his investments students from schools in Anambra have able to do well in highly competitive global competitions.

Taking a swipe at Peter Obi, Anambra state or Igbo people in a bid to whitewash Tinubu is just detrimental to you as a Lagosian because you are not getting the value he gave his people from your governors.

All these your talk does not explain why your people the Igbos have abandon the east too become slaves in Lagos. If your Lord and saviour Peter Obi has done well should we not see less migration. Instead it's the opposite. Lol
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by PHijo(m): 7:16pm On Apr 21, 2020
Basher8583:

All these your talk does not explain why your people the Igbos have abandon the east too become slaves in Lagos. If your Lord and saviour Peter Obi has done well should we not see less migration. Instead it's the opposite. Lol

To start with, I am not Igbo! Peter Obi has done well, that is a fact. I wish my home state had such a governor.
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by Basher8583: 8:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
PHijo:

To start with, I am not Igbo! Peter Obi has done well, that is a fact. I wish my home state had such a governor.

Same here. Im from the North and not yoruba but I admire them alot most especially Tinubu. A true leader who nuture other to carry the legacy of true leadership. We have seen those Tinubu has produced eg Fashola, Sanwo-Olu, Senator Gbajabiamila etc.
Since you like him so much.... Please who has Peter Obi nutured?
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by DabuIIIT: 11:51pm On Apr 21, 2020
Miracle1991:
Why are some people always happy when a tragedy befall this country? They were happy that the chief of staff to Mr president is death but they start crying when the government buy fighter aircraft to defend us.
For the past 16yrs they didn't buy one aircraft even when fuel was sold at it highest price, now that Buhari came on board and things begins to change they started campaign of propaganda and hate.

From your own posts over the rumoured death of iPod leader,are you happy or not?

As you do and wish others,so shall heaven do unto you and your generation 10 times.

Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by naptu2: 4:54pm On Apr 22, 2020
I’m sorry, I was meant to tell the story of the Super Tucano, but I was busy with a competition, but I’ll tell the story now.

Now let’s get to the story of the Super Tucano.

Some people have claimed that the Super Tucano is a World War 2 aircraft. This shows that they don’t know what they are talking about. The A29 Super Tucano had its first test flight in 1999 and it was introduced into the Brazilian Air Force in 2003. In fact, it has won a few US Government contracts and it competed against other reputable aircrafts in order to win those contracts.

I suspect that the reason that they wrongly believe that it is a “World War 2 aircraft” is because it is a propeller plane, but many propeller planes are used by air forces around the world today. They are mainly used as either basic training aircraft or for counter-insurgency warfare.

Ground attack propeller planes
During the Vietnam War the US military realised that it needed a good ground attack aircraft that would be able to provide close air support for its troops. The Viet Cong were engaging US forces in guerrilla warfare and air support was vital to US operations.

The US military converted its most famous transport plane, the Hercules C130 into a ground attack plane. They placed cannons and heavy submachine guns in it and it became the AC130 ground attack plane.

I assume that every Nigerian should know the C130 because it is the workhorse of the Nigerian Air Force and it has been used on many very public occasions, for example, it was used to convey President Yar’Adua’s corpse from Abuja to Katsina.

This is a Nigerian Air Force Hercules C130 cargo plane.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/11406355_nigerianairforcec130hhercules_jpegc686a997bbd3765ecef1aefa9bfa2f91

And this is a US Air Force AC130 ground attack plane.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/11406356_ac130_jfif_jpeg47b1f2d026ff2b33e10d56cc49f9b332

A29 Super Tucano

Why did the US military need the AC130 and why does the Nigerian military need the A29 Super Tucano? Well, you’ll find out here.

The United States invaded Afghanistan and Iraq in 2001 and 2003 and they encountered an insurgency and were faced with guerrilla warfare soon afterwards. They faced the same problems that our troops are facing in North-Eastern Nigeria and they needed an aircraft that could solve the problems. What were the problems?

1) They needed an aircraft that could take off from almost anywhere. Jet fighters need a good and long runway, but this means that the aircraft might have to fly a long distance to get to the battlefield. Meanwhile, the troops on the ground don’t have time to wait for an aircraft to fly from far away to provide air support. They need air support now! This is the reason that the Nigerian Army asked the government to provide it with helicopters that would stay with them in the battlefield, rather than having to wait for Air Force aircraft that have to fly from air bases that are far away.

These propeller planes can land and take off from almost anywhere.

2). The fighter jets are too fast and consume too much fuel. This makes it difficult for them to stay at the battlefield for long periods of time. The propeller planes are slower and can take their time to strike at targets on the ground. They also consume less fuel, which means that they can stay over the battlefield for a longer period of time.

3) Attack helicopters are good, but they can’t fly as fast as the propeller planes, neither can they fly as high as the propeller planes.

4) The AC130 is good, but it is a big plane, which makes it easier to target and hit. The US military wanted something smaller.

Competition

The US Military decided to test proposed aircraft via a donation scheme. In 2009 they asked companies to express their interest in providing a light attack aircraft for close air support. The US Government intended to supply 20 of the aircraft to Afghanistan for its counter insurgency operations. Among the aircraft that competed for the contract were:

Embraer A29 Super Tucano: The US Air Force had already leased some Tucanos from Embraer of Brazil and tested them. They also increased the firepower of the aircraft.

Beechcraft Wolverine I earlier told you that propeller planes are used for basic training in all air forces around the world. The primary trainer in the US Military is the Beechcraft Texan. Beechcraft therefore upgraded the Texan into the Wolverine and entered it into the competition.

Textron Airland Scorpion Textron bought over Beechcraft and they hurriedly put together this aircraft in order to enter the competition. But the aircraft, which was made from parts of other aircraft, is a jet, not a propeller plane.

Boeing OV-10X This is Boeing’s light attack aircraft. It is a propeller plane.

A-67 Dragon This is also a light attack propeller plane and it is specifically designed for counter-insurgency operations, but it was still under construction when the competition began.

Air Tractor AT-802U This is a military version of a crop duster (it’s a propeller plane), but it had also not been completed when the competition began.

Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Master This aircraft was made by Alenia, which is an Italian company, but it is a jet plane, rather than a propeller plane.

All the other bids quickly failed apart from the Super Tucano and the Beechcraft Texan. The US Government excluded Beechcraft and awarded the contract to Embraer Super Tucano because of problems with Beechcraft’s bid. The US military had issues with the plane and Beechcraft did not correct the problems to the satisfaction of the government.

Beechcraft sued the government and the contract was initially suspended, but the government won the suit and the contract went ahead in 2011.

US pilots taught the Afghan pilots how to operate the planes and the 20 A29 Super Tucano were delivered to the Afghan Air Force.

Here is a video of a live fire training in the Super Tucano. You can see them firing rockets and machine guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkgeladdlaI

The US Government then decided that it wanted Super Tucanos for its own military and it began another competition. However, President Donald Trump has blamed former Presidents Bush and Obama for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and he has promised to pull out all US troops from those 2 countries, so people started questioning whether the US military needed Super Tucanos since they were leaving Iraq and Afghanistan. The competitors were initially required to provide 20 Super Tucanos, but it was reduced to 5. It is not certain if the request will be fulfilled or if it will be canceled.

However, US Special Forces have put in a request for light attack aircraft like the Super Tucano.

My next post will be about the Nigerian side of the story.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by PHijo(m): 6:55am On Apr 23, 2020
Basher8583:

Same here. Im from the North and not yoruba but I admire them alot most especially Tinubu. A true leader who nuture other to carry the legacy of true leadership. We have seen those Tinubu has produced eg Fashola, Sanwo-Olu, Senator Gbajabiamila etc.
Since you like him so much.... Please who has Peter Obi nutured?

Cronyism does not make anyone a true leader! Tinubu and his cronies are not true leaders.

Peter Obi has never promoted this concept of buying people's conscience with either his private or public funds. The same cannot be said about Tinubu. We all saw the bullion van
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by Basher8583: 11:03am On Apr 23, 2020
PHijo:

Cronyism does not make anyone a true leader! Tinubu and his cronies are not true leaders.

Peter Obi has never promoted this concept of buying people's conscience with either his private or public funds. The same cannot be said about Tinubu. We all saw the bullion van

True leadership is not audio. It through physical results.

You don't need to tell me about Peter obi. I should be able to physically confirm his legacy. People will talk about him like a Northener like me is talking about a Yoruba man like Tinubu. Got that?
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by PHijo(m): 11:24am On Apr 23, 2020
Basher8583:

True leadership is not audio. It through physical results.

You don't need to tell me about Peter obi. I should be able to physically confirm his legacy. People will talk about him like a Northener like me is talking about a Yoruba man like Tinubu. Got that?

...and a non-Igbo like me is talking about Peter Obi?!?

Got that?
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by Basher8583: 4:57pm On Apr 23, 2020
PHijo:

...and a non-Igbo like me is talking about Peter Obi?!?

Got that?

Good for you man. Your problem not mine.
Re: A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida by PHijo(m): 6:30pm On Apr 23, 2020
Basher8583:

Good for you man. Your problem not mine.

So you think it is your Tinubu that should be mine? Abeg make pesin hear word!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

How Did You Obtain Your Permanent Residency In Your Current Country? / Tweaking Your Travel Routes and Time For Cheap Fares/budget travel / Onitsha Fire: Photo Of The Woman That Died With Her Baby