Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life (52964 Views)

Sergeant-at-arms Blocks Reporters From Covering Senate Plenary / Governor Umahi Bans Use Of Public Schools For Political Rallies / Ebonyi Govt Declares Linus Okorie Wanted Over Statement On FacebooK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by ZAWs: 6:08pm On Apr 22, 2020
Abakaliki – Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State, Wednesday banned the Correspondents of The Sun newspaper, Chijioke Agwu, and the Vanguard Newspaper, Peter Okutu, from entering Government house and Government facilities in the State for life.

Umahi who made the statement in a statewide live broadcast aired in the State’s Television and Radio stations said he was displeased with the leadership of Nigeria Union of Journalists, for failing to discipline their members.

Umahi had last week Saturday ordered the arrest of The Sun Correspondent, Chijioke Agwu, over a report he did on the Lassa Fever outbreak in the state who was later released.

Three days later, Mr. Peter Okutu, was arrested on the orders of Ohaukwu LGA Chairman, Mr. Clement Odah, over a report he did on the alleged military invasion of Umuogodoakpu-Ngbo community in the council area. He has also been released.

Governor Umahi who said the safety of Journalists in the State could no longer be guaranteed by him noted that the people were angry with the Journalists and might begin to unleash mayhem on them if they continue to cause panic in the state.

According to him, if you think you have the pen, we have the koboko.

His words: “I want to say that I am very displeased with the president and leadership of the Nigeria Union of Journalists and I am going to seize their allowances for two months because they have failed to discipline their members.

“Ebonyi State is no longer a dumping ground. Only the other day, Chijioke Agwu (referring to The Sun Correspondent) wrote that Lassa Fever is killing Ebonyi people in droves and few days back, Mr Peter Okutu of Vanguard did his own.

Okutu is fond of degrading Ebonyi State, and I don’t know why my officials have allowed him to continue to do that, because he is not from Ebonyi State. I want to ban him for life with Chijioke Agwu. I don’t want to see them anywhere in any Government facility.

“We are not begging you to give us good report, because the only person that gives good or bad report is God. We are all accountable to him. If you think that Ebonyi State is a dumping ground, try it again.

“If you think you have the pen, we have the koboko. Let’s leave the Court alone. Ebonyi people are very angry with the press and let me warn that I won’t be able to control them or know when they unleash mayhem on you, if you continue to write to create panic in the State.

“I want you to write it that way, that I said, press in Ebonyi is trying to create another COVID that is more dangerous and that is to create panic in our people.

“The other one wrote that cholera has killed 20 people in Ohaukwu. If you try it again, I may not know when Ebonyians may react. This is important for the NUJ to know.

“If you are an Ebonyi man or live in Ebonyi and you don’t feel our pains, it is a shame on you. Maybe, the press people claim they are untouchable. I have reported to the National President of NUJ, I have reported to State leadership of NUJ and I have reported to the public. Now, the dye is cast. May God save us, in the course of time”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/04/umahi-bans-the-sun-vanguard-reporters-from-govt-house/

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by ZAWs: 6:10pm On Apr 22, 2020
According to him, if you think you have the pen, we have the koboko.

Strong one

237 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by densiks: 6:14pm On Apr 22, 2020
This outburst and threat of violence or life ban is a very unnecessary one from the governor.

We are in a democracy and there are legitimate means of bringing errant journalists to book if proven that they reported falsehood.

358 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by tellwisdom: 6:23pm On Apr 22, 2020
Is this news??

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mumu!!!

2terms is all you've got...even after leaving that house, can you boast of eternity

296 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by festacman(m): 6:25pm On Apr 22, 2020
If truly those reports were FALSE but were manufactured and planted to embarrass Ebonyi State government and if several complaints have been made to NUJ leadership to no avail, then the ROGUE journalists should get the hell out Ebonyi with heads bowed in shame. They should go and cover the compounds of their sponsors. #bad eggs

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by Okoroawusa: 6:29pm On Apr 22, 2020
If I am Umahi I go vex pass like this sef. If Ebonyi n Ebonyi people suffer discrimination in the hands of their fellow igbos who see them as uncouth, uncivilized n unread, the press will still demarket them in the eyes of the nation. It's not fair!!

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by Lagosfinder(m): 6:30pm On Apr 22, 2020
When journalist abuse their position
This kind of things happen

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by DanseMacabre(m): 6:45pm On Apr 22, 2020
To be honest this is a rather counterproductive measure.

Why not just ban the individual journalist/s who infringed on whatever anti-free speech laws existing in your state, than banning the whole publication?

9 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by kponkedenge(m): 7:54pm On Apr 22, 2020
Umahi had last week Saturday ordered the arrest of The Sun Correspondent, Chijioke Agwu, over a report he did on the Lassa Fever outbreak in the state who was later released.

Three days later, Mr. Peter Okutu, was arrested on the orders of Ohaukwu LGA Chairman, Mr. Clement Odah, over a report he did on the alleged military invasion of Umuogodoakpu-Ngbo community in the council area. He has also been released.

Governor Umahi who said the safety of Journalists in the State could no longer be guaranteed by him noted that the people were angry with the Journalists and might begin to unleash mayhem on them if they continue to cause panic in the state.

Please oh, when did governors or even presidents have the right to arrest a journalist in a democracy?
And why threatening them with violence because you don't like what they reported about.
Are we really practicing democracy in this country sef?

54 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by LowerPriceData0(m): 7:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
You ban him for life, are you going to be Governor for life? People always forget that nothing is permanent in life. Another Government will allow them when leave.

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
Thats what they get for spreading fake news

10 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by jawalis(m): 7:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
Evil doers.
Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
V
Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by PericomaNwankwo: 7:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
I don't know where this man got his dictatorial trait from....

He's good though

5 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by rhodman: 7:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mumu, you go stay there for life?

undecided

3 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by foolbuster: 7:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mini gods pretending to serve the people.

6 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by tallerSSS: 7:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
That's is if he remains there for life

3 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
This mumu Buhari asslicker!

I'm not surprised, like Buhari like Umahi. Bunch of Tyrants.

Ur cup go full soon, when NUJ descend on you

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by Patrioticman007(m): 7:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
Ipobians newspaper vs Ipobians governor.............. The cartoon below sum it up.
We dey laugh ooooooooooo!!!!.

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by hannysur8(m): 7:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
Shey na military era we Dey ni?

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
What if your tenure as gov expires?
Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by Spuggie: 7:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
Interesting
Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by aaamos(m): 7:57pm On Apr 22, 2020

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by 24kmagic: 7:57pm On Apr 22, 2020
For life abi for the next three years?

Will he be there after May 2023?

Corona virus sef

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi Bans The Sun, Vanguard Reporters From Ebonyi Govt House For Life by TheGiftedOne(m): 7:57pm On Apr 22, 2020
They'll outlive his tenure and return to continue their job.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Large Crowd Welcome Buhari As He Arrive Aso Rock (Photos) / Official Final Results For Oyo State Just Announced / Buhari’s Ministerial List Will Be Released Soon – Garba Shehu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.