Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,263 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

The Power of Words - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Power of Words (226 Views)

ONYE DOT: Igbo Business Man Makes Use Of Words By Buhari To Create Wealth / 'India Doesn't Have Toilet': Indians And Africans In War Of Words On Facebook / Yoruba Names That Look Like English Words (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Power of Words by Nobody: 7:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
How do you feel when you hear any of the following words:

Fish brain
Mumu
Worwor
Weyrey (not quite sure of the meaning, but I think it's not good)
Broke
Evening Newspaper
Mad/crazy
Flat.head/ Flat.tino
Afonja
Skull-miner
Coon
Olosho
Ashawo
Pig
Triggered-ape
Brain-washed zombie
Jezebellic demon
Feminist
slowpoke
Stupid
Useless
Fool
Etc.,

I mean, the list is continuous....
Just a few of the negative, villainous, deep-penetrating and hurtful words that I've read here on Nairaland (either through posts, emails or some form of media correspondence) over my almost 3 year membership.
I am guilty of innocently laughing at a few of those words until I really sat down and thought about the meaning and impact of what was being said.
Take for example "fish brain".
I initially thought it was cute because it wasn't a profane word. Then I thought about the insult of calling a woman unintelligent, because fish don't have brains...
Then I was like, "wait a minute".

Insults, destructive criticisms, "curses", sarcasm, "clap-backs", etc. can have devastating consequences on a person's mental health.
We may not see immediate effects, but we can sometimes never know to what extent we have harmed someone.
A person could be on the brink of ending his/her life or permanently harming himself/herself.

We are all guilty of 1 or more of those offenses and if possible need to make amends.

Folks, words are so incredibly, incredibly powerful.
They can uplift.
They can demoralize.

Perhaps, we should exercise serious self-control and stop, think, and invisibly zip our lips.
Cause once it's said, it cannot be taken back.
Very few people can recover from constant, negative, demonic, destructive words daily.
Let's learn to speak positive, encouraging and inspiring words!
You may never know who you are helping!
Be encouraged.

Proverbs 18:21 (KJV)

21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

James 3:9-12 (KJV)

9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.

10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?

12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

1 Like

Re: The Power of Words by James4bright(m): 11:25am On May 03, 2020
This is a good write up though, can I talk to you personally about something?
Re: The Power of Words by Nobody: 2:54am On May 05, 2020
Thank you sir...a work in progress.
Well I'm not chatting privately anymore.
Had to learn the hard way...have to exercise wisdom this time around.
Sorry about that.

(1) (Reply)

Help I Dont Know How To Save Money !!! / If You Need A Mobile App For Your Business Or A Project Hop In. / Law Firm In Lahore | Solve Your Legal Suit With Jamila & Associate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.