Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,160 members, 7,825,634 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless (1053 Views)

Covid-19: Microbiology And Biochemistry Lecturers And Students Are Useless / Microbiologists Are Sitting On This Table / Biochemists / Biotechnologists / Microbiologists: Here Is What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sonofelizabeth(m): 2:38am On Apr 23, 2020
I just had to reply to this thread because of the anger I felt after reading what the OP had to say...

https://www.nairaland.com/5810258/covid-19-microbiology-biochemistry-lecturers-students?iorg_service_id_internal=1646953538912597%3BAfpt3gn3piWujwcA

Some of you like our president and his equally ill informed education minister with his e-learning directive (what a joke) will just make very silly statements....

Personal experience...
My area of research is drug discovery and I have been working on therapeutic peptides for quite a while. During my MSc, it took me 2 years to isolate a compound all because there were no laboratories and basic lab equipment to work with. It got so bad that I had to finally send my samples to Brazil to complete the project (the drama I passed through to get my samples there is a story for another day; nobody trusts Nigerians anymore). We had to cut out about 40% of the initial design for lack of research facilities and even at that, our total expenditure exceeded a million naira (luckily, we had a grant).

Discoveries takes time and costs money. Information is power! We don't have proper libraries. Data is super expensive and worst of all, power supply is non existent. I remember working on a very unstable compound and needed uninterrupted power for at least 6 hours...guess what, we had to abandon that experiment after a couple of trials.

I can authoritatively say that not a single University in Nigeria can successfully culture cell lines or possess protein/DNA sequencing equipment or a high resolution microscope like a confocal microscope or even laboratories that can handle biohazardous materials, particles or organisms and someone here is talking about finding a cure to a novel and highly infectious disease. Even if by some miracle we come up with a cure, we don't have the capacity to carry out clinical trials.

I guess some of you think that finding the cure to a disease is as simple as mastercraft cooking up the beats to a Davido's hit song.

Nigerians only value entertainment which explains why Mercy walked away with a 100 million last year for showcasing zero talent and silicone implants. Brands only identify with sectors of public interest.
A country is only as good as its values so leave ASUU and Nigerian scientists out of this as we are all to blame.

Lalasticala, mynd44 Nigerians need to know these facts.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by FromZeroToHero(m): 6:26am On Apr 23, 2020
Fact. It's only in Nigeria that an overall best graduating student will receive 50k and a laptop whereas a winner of BBN will go home with N45m.

1 Like

Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by SearchFirst: 6:43am On Apr 23, 2020
Some one should tell Buhari that after 58 years, he is slow in giving Nigerians uninterrupted power supply.
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by noxy1962(m): 7:52am On Apr 23, 2020
Nigeria is a dream killer. If you doubt this check out what Nigerians are achieving in US and Europe. We all know this.

2 Likes

Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by LordIsaac(m): 8:28am On Apr 23, 2020
This just further confirms that the certificates currently obtained in these courses are useless as they can't be justified. Pure fraud!
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sexylassie2(f): 8:34am On Apr 23, 2020
Another excuse giver.

It seems the traditional medicine maker produce more medicine than our graduates.
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by QuantumR: 8:41am On Apr 23, 2020
Faced similar challenges but mine was on renewable energy field..
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by aminusodiq(m): 9:04am On Apr 23, 2020
Ok... Previous thread justified grin
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by ccffwx: 10:02am On Apr 23, 2020
FromZeroToHero:
Fact. It's only in Nigeria that an overall best graduating student will receive 50k and a laptop whereas a winner of BBN will go home with N45m.

I was an overall best graduating student in 2011. Up till date, I've not received 1 naira. I've been trying to apply for a lecturing position but university politics has always obstructed my path. I also have a Masters to boot.
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by brexit: 10:11am On Apr 23, 2020
You should also blame university authorities, funds are released but most times being looted by universities councils who are greedy politicians collaborating with the VCs who have waited till the opportunity came to amass wealth
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by bularuz(m): 11:10am On Apr 23, 2020
sonofelizabeth:
I just had to reply to this thread because of the anger I felt after reading what the OP had to say...

https://www.nairaland.com/5810258/covid-19-microbiology-biochemistry-lecturers-students?iorg_service_id_internal=1646953538912597%3BAfpt3gn3piWujwcA

Some of you like our president and his equally ill informed education minister with his e-learning directive (what a joke) will just make very silly statements....
Personal experience...
My area of research is drug discovery and I have been working on therapeutic peptides for quite a while. During my MSc, it took me 2 years to isolate a compound all because there were no laboratories and basic lab equipment to work with. It got so bad that I had to finally send my samples to Brazil to complete the project (the drama I passed through to get my samples there is a story for another day; nobody trusts Nigerians anymore). We had to cut out about 40% of the initial design for lack of research facilities and even at that, our total expenditure exceeded a million naira (luckily, we had a grant).
Discoveries takes time and costs money.
Information is power! We don't have proper libraries. Data is super expensive and worst of all, power supply is non existent. I remember working on a very unstable compound and needed uninterrupted power for at least 6 hours...guess what, we had to abandon that experiment after a couple of trials.
I can authoritatively say that not a single University in Nigeria can successfully culture cell lines or possess protein/DNA sequencing equipment or a high resolution microscope like a confocal microscope or even laboratories that can handle biohazardous materials, particles or organisms and someone here is talking about finding a cure to a novel and highly infectious disease. Even if by some miracle we come up with a cure, we don't have the capacity to carry out clinical trials. I guess some of you think that finding the cure to a disease is as simple as mastercraft cooking up the beats to a Davido's hit song.
Nigerians only value entertainment which explains why Mercy walked away with a 100 million last year for showcasing zero talent and silicone implants. Brands only identify with sectors of public interest.
A country is only as good as its values so leave ASUU and Nigerian scientists out of this as we are all to blame.

Lalasticala, mynd44 Nigerians need to know these facts.

Why do you expend your energy responding to such a useless trend
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by bularuz(m): 11:12am On Apr 23, 2020
LordIsaac:
This just further confirms that the certificates currently obtained in these courses are useless as they can't be justified. Pure fraud!
Most certificates from Nigerian universities can't be justified

1 Like

Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 23, 2020
FromZeroToHero:
SIMPLE and CORRECT.
and MTN, GLO, AIRTEL, ARIK, INDOMIE, UAC, HONEYWELL etc will all sponsor the prostitutes.
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sonofelizabeth(m): 11:41am On Apr 23, 2020
sexylassie2:
Another excuse giver.

It seems the traditional medicine maker produce more medicine than our graduates.

...and I hope you patronize them.

Some of you don't seem to recognise that traditional medicine is basically untested plant extracts with unknown shelf life and cytotoxicity.

In 2009, a family friend spent almost a year in the hospital and incurred a bill of close to a million naira because of 50 naira agbo he drank to remedy malaria symptoms.

You can go ahead and buy the covid-19 vaccine that is produced in Kano. I am sure it works!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sonofelizabeth(m): 11:44am On Apr 23, 2020
bularuz:

Why do you expend your energy responding to such a useless trend

Some people need to be educated!

1 Like

Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by Martinez39s(m): 11:50am On Apr 23, 2020
aminusodiq:
grin grin
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sexylassie2(f): 12:03pm On Apr 23, 2020
sonofelizabeth:

...and I hope you patronize them.

Some of you don't seem to recognise that traditional medicine are basically untested plant extracts with unknown shelf life and cytotoxicity.

In 2009, a family friend spent almost a year in the hospital and incurred a bill of close to a million naira because of 50 naira agbo he drank to remedy malaria symptoms.

You can go ahead and buy the covid-19 vaccine that is produced in Kano. I am sure it works!

It is because the universities aren't producing nothing that is why most people run to traditional doctors, the universities havent proven that they can do something.

Universities are suppose to be the center for societal change, inventions, new ideas but ours is a center of ignorance.

Lot of PhDs holders in this country no research of importance.
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sonofelizabeth(m): 12:25pm On Apr 23, 2020
sexylassie2:

It is because the universities aren't producing nothing that is why most people run to traditional doctors, the universities havent proven that they can do something.

Universities are suppose to be the center for societal change, inventions, new ideas but ours is a center of ignorance.

Lot of PhDs holders in this country no research of importance.

Did you read my post at all?

The consumables (i.e. DNA isolation kit, polymerase enzymes, primers etc) required to carryout a SIMPLE molecular test like PCR for say a hundred reactions cost north of a thousand dollars.

We don't produce nothing because cutting edge RESEARCH COSTS MONEY!!!

It took an outbreak for the government to set up molecular testing centres across the country and even at that, 13 centres is not close enough to cater to the demand of 201 million people.

Mind you, all the consumables used in these centres were donated!

1 Like

Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sexylassie2(f): 12:28pm On Apr 23, 2020
sonofelizabeth:

Did you read my post at all?

The consumables (i.e. DNA isolation kit, polymerase enzymes, primers etc) to carryout a simple molecular test like PCR for say a hundred reactions costs north of a thousand dollars.

We don't produce nothing because cutting edge RESEARCH COSTS MONEY!!!

It took an outbreak for the government to set up molecular testing centres across the country and even at that, 13 centres is not close enough to cater to the demand of 201 million people.

Mind you, all the consumables used in these centres were donated!

People started from somewhere with the little resources they have in their hands, those local guys building locally made stuff arent complaining of lack of resources like those that went to universities.
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sonofelizabeth(m): 12:28pm On Apr 23, 2020
aminusodiq:

I am not going to dignify this with a response.
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sonofelizabeth(m): 12:33pm On Apr 23, 2020
sexylassie2:

People started from somewhere with the little resources they have in their hands, those local guys building locally made stuff arent complaining of lack of resources like those that went to universities.

When it comes to drug discovery and vaccine candidates, there are no cutting corners and management of resources. You don't use humans as Guinea pigs. The science has to be exhaustive and specific.

It is either the funds and equipment are available or no research can be done.

2 Likes

Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sexylassie2(f): 12:51pm On Apr 23, 2020
sonofelizabeth:

When it comes to drug discovery and vaccine candidates, there are no cutting corners and management of resources. You don't use humans as Guinea pigs. The science has to be exhaustive and specific.

It is either the funds and equipment are available or no research can be done.

I don't believe that, I watched a documentary on DW about research in the medical field, many didn't even need lot of cash to carry out, rats were used as samples. For instance a research was done to find the effect of fastfood and lack of omega 9 on humans, the volunteers were given fast foods, rats were starved of omega 9, blood samples from humans were taken, for rats they noticed when you starve them of omega 9 they start eating their young ones. This are simple stuff that can be done at home

Problem here is that most are lazy, they believe everything is money.
Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sonofelizabeth(m): 3:27pm On Apr 23, 2020
sexylassie2:

I don't believe that, I watched a documentary on DW about research in the medical field, many didn't even need lot of cash to carry out, rats were used as samples. For instance a research was done to find the effect of fastfood and lack of omega 9 on humans, the volunteers were given fast foods, rats were starved of omega 9, blood samples from humans were taken, for rats they noticed when you starve them of omega 9 they start eating their young ones. This are simple stuff that can be done at home

Problem here is that most are lazy, they believe everything is money.

Is this cutting edge?

We do tonnes of these kind of studies yearly. Journal articles coming out of Africa are basically on studies like this.

Molecular biology and drug discovery is a totally different animal.

2 Likes

Re: Covid-19: Counter Thread To Nigerian Biochemists And Microbiologists Are Useless by sexylassie2(f): 10:10pm On Apr 23, 2020
sonofelizabeth:

Is this cutting edge?

We do tonnes of these kind of studies yearly. Journal articles coming out of Africa are basically on studies like this.

Molecular biology and drug discovery is a totally different animal.

You want cutting edge but can invent equipment for these type of research. Ventilators we can't produce.

India is the one sending drugs to nigeria, many companies there have patent to some drugs against some rare disease and that is India, a developing country like us.

We are excuse givers, we haven't even build the baby steps for research suddenly we want cutting edge.

Even polio, our so called researchers couldn't find the cure, guess what, bill and merida foundation were the ones doing research abroad and sending the vaccines to Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

20 Year Old Ijaw Girl Emerges Overall Best Graduate Student In U.s University / 19-year-old Candidate Who Sued JAMB For N1bn Handed Over To Police / ASUP Suspends Strike, Directs Members To Resume Work Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.