Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? (32364 Views)

Why Is The Muslim World So Poor? / Akinwumi: Despite Paying High Taxes, Nigerians Still Provide Water, Electricity / Are Nigerians Docile? - Charly Boy Blows Hot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Waterbear(m): 7:49pm On Apr 23, 2020
Cause no one want to learn..
They want fast and free money..
Check out forex traders, all looking for free signals..

When you can learn forex , so you could be trading on your own, join the group on telegram , it's free!!
@forexspies

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by NiCurious: 8:52pm On Apr 23, 2020
Lyoncrescent:
Being poor is multidimensional and not limited to food alone and can be analysed different ways. I want to focus on Security, Health, Education and Food Security.

All these things are elitist. (Elitist only in the sense that they are only offered to the elite.)

If you are a VIP or a multimillionaire, just go and see your DPO and he can give you two police men to be following you around. We see it everywhere. The police is poorly trained and poorly paid and has poor investigation mechanism and structures. First role of government is securing life and property but even that they have failed and we are all victims .

If you are a VIP again , you will have access to the best hospitals and not the government rubbish ones . Even some government hospitals have private wards for VIP and rich patients and those ones are treated so highly that you won't believe that it's the same hospital. In a developed nation , health is key but here even the president runs to London when he has a health crisis. Even the middle class is not spared in the poor nature of the health sector.

Education is a tragedy. No one that has a choice will send their children to a public primary school which is the foundation. In developed nations , public primary education is the rule while private primary education is the exception while in Nigeria it is the other way around . However FG will say the school feeding program that gulps 600 million naira daily has been a success and that primary school education is not under the FG ; in other words we can feed them but we can't equip their classrooms or pay their teachers because it's not our job. And the rot is all the way to tertiary level. With the exception of Lagos Business school, no MBA program in Nigeria meets international standards of any of AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB. It's all poor.

Food security is in shambles. Why is it so expensive to transport food from Kano to Lagos ? No one has been able to answer this question. Why are incentives not given to food production and processing companies so that we all benefit one way or the other ? It's beyond me .

Nigeria is a clueless nation . When they came with surep and you win , I said nothing will change and that it will only set a dangerous precedence. Then they came again with npower , trade moni and cash transfer. Yet another misplaced priority. This schemes are supposed to be the icing on the cake; Additional initiatives to a core initiative. However there is little or no cake. Nigeria is spending more on icing than the main cake . We spend so much on helping the poor with tokenism while neglecting the core of Security,Health, Education and Food Security.

At the end of the day, we are all poor including the elites and the rich. We never know when we will be victims of this poor system. When a wayward and poor policeman may out of frustration kill a family relation, when a niece may be rushed to a teaching hospital with pregnancy complications and the doctor on call will be in his own private hospital , when the children we refused to educate will kidnap us and when lack of standards will result to us consuming poisoned beans in our mansions . In the end , being rich and living in a poor system means we are all poor .

This rot is not limited to the Federal Government. State Governors are even worse and if I use Lagos state as a case study, we won't leave here today. God help Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by colestephan86: 9:24pm On Apr 23, 2020
Omooba77:
By Abimbola Adelakun

https://punchng.com/why-are-nigerians-still-so-poor/
I read the article to the part of food security.
But in my opinion, one of the reasons many Nigerians can't cope with the lockdown or couldn't manage just within few weeks of the lockdown is simply because, a very high number of Nigerians are into daily wages job which they enjoy but has never helped any society grow.
See, there is rice in the market, yam is there, beans, and all others but because many people are transporters, okada riders, Uber drivers who are only interested in daily wages .
And anithing thing I discovered is most Nigerians actually love to buy what they either can't afford , keep up with or what they don't need. Example . The mixture of millet, sughum and other fiber meals for kids have proven to be more nutritious and healthy for babies than sma gold or Nan.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by ZooOga: 10:01pm On Apr 23, 2020
many must learn to put the inner brain to work wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NAN2RRVw9s
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by nadia806: 12:19am On Apr 24, 2020
[url]ibeere.com[/url]
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 12:36am On Apr 24, 2020
Rubbish country. When a president will sanction military personnel to go to polling booth to snatch ballot boxes in an election. INEC officials collude with security agents to write fake results and it will be accepted as legit in a law court and you think such a nation will prosper? Hell no!
PericomaNwankwo:
Poor because the government have refused to do its job.

Poor because the people have a low Human Development Index which is very evident in their choice of leaders, their inability to act like a nation with a common purpose and revolt when needed, but in Nigeria, people are okay with a bad leader because he is from their region.

Poor because even the little effort of the citizens are not compensated from the government due to its inability to put up a "at least basic infrastructure".

Poor because the people are as bad as their leaders. I always maintain that leaders were once part of the people and when the people are good, it becomes easier to elect good leaders because leaders are elected from the populace.

Poor because they have refused to empower its people. If they had given loans to the southerners to do their business and gave them the same benefit they gave others, we won't cry against RUGA because every tribe have what they are known for. In Igbo: " ndi owuna were ihe ha ji biri".
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by PericomaNwankwo: 5:11am On Apr 24, 2020
Subsea:
Rubbish country. When a president will sanction military personnel to go to polling booth to snatch ballot boxes in an election. INEC officials collude with security agents to write fake results and it will be accepted as legit in a law court and you think such a nation will prosper? Hell no!

I swear bro
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by PromixTuhh(m): 6:08am On Apr 24, 2020
Lyoncrescent:
Being poor is multidimensional and not limited to food alone and can be analysed different ways. I want to focus on Security, Health, Education and Food Security.

All these things are elitist.

If you are a VIP or a multimillionaire, just go and see your DPO and he can give you two police men to be following you around. We see it everywhere. The police is poorly trained and poorly paid and has poor investigation mechanism and structures. First role of government is securing life and property but even that they have failed and we are all victims .

If you are a VIP again , you will have access to the best hospitals and not the government rubbish ones . Even some government hospitals have private wards for VIP and rich patients and those ones are treated so highly that you won't believe that it's the same hospital. In a developed nation , health is key but here even the president runs to London when he has a health crisis. Even the middle class is not spared in the poor nature of the health sector.

Education is a tragedy. No one that has a choice will send their children to a public primary school which is the foundation. In developed nations , public primary education is the rule while private primary education is the exception while in Nigeria it is the other way around . However FG will say the school feeding program that gulps 600 million naira daily has been a success and that primary school education is not under the FG ; in other words we can feed them but we can't equip their classrooms or pay their teachers because it's not our job. And the rot is all the way to tertiary level. With the exception of Lagos Business school, no MBA program in Nigeria meets international standards of any of AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB. It's all poor.

Food security is in shambles. Why is it so expensive to transport food from Kano to Lagos ? No one has been able to answer this question. Why are incentives not given to food production and processing companies so that we all benefit one way or the other ? It's beyond me .

Nigeria is a clueless nation . When they came with surep and you win , I said nothing will change and that it will only set a dangerous precedence. Then they came again with npower , trade moni and cash transfer. Yet another misplaced priority. This schemes are supposed to be the icing on the cake; Additional initiatives to a core initiative. However there is little or no cake. Nigeria is spending more on icing than the main cake . We spend so much on helping the poor with tokenism while neglecting the core of Security,Health, Education and Food Security.

At the end of the day, we are all poor including the elites and the rich. We never know when we will be victims of this poor system. When a wayward and poor policeman may out of frustration kill a family relation, when a niece may be rushed to a teaching hospital with pregnancy complications and the doctor on call will be in his own private hospital , when the children we refused to educate will kidnap us and when lack of standards will result to us consuming poisoned beans in our mansions . In the end , being rich and living in a poor system means we are all poor .

This rot is not limited to the Federal Government. State Governors are even worse and if I use Lagos state as a case study, we won't leave here today. God help Nigeria.
Nicely said.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by juman(m): 8:28am On Apr 24, 2020
Buhari oooooooo.
Your government has perform poorly so far.

Nigerians are extremely in poverty.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by juman(m): 8:29am On Apr 24, 2020
Corruption is the biggest obstacle to the development of the country.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by goddy28686: 9:50am On Apr 24, 2020
I am reminded that you cannot sow maize and expect to reap rice. We are reaping the government we sowed. So happy enjoyment.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 12:35pm On Apr 24, 2020
Lyoncrescent:

I wish I can like this post multiple times!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by CookieBrown: 8:24pm On Apr 24, 2020
The same story over and over again, all complaints, no solutions whatsoever. A nation where its citizens constantly keep making wrong decisions and having misplaced priorities. Are Nigerians suppose to be worried about a dead corrupt politician, blaming the government or rather, marching to the streets in "face masks" demanding answers from the government? Everyone talks, talks talks, but no action to back up. How in God's name do Nigerians think the politicians got elected? Who elected them? Who stood by while the nation's resources and finances were being pilfered? Who??

Now a pandemic takes the nation by surprise, everyone is acting surprised like corruption started when COVID-19 popped up. A nations blessed with rain and arable land, constantly waiting for the government to eat. Oil prices are now heading to -$ very soon, so, let's see who's fooling who. Maybe when Nigerians begin eating human flesh, everyone would wake up and take back their country from the hands of these vile repeat elected individuals.

The FG is now taking its responsibilities so seriously for the first time in Nigeria's history because COVID-19 targets middle age and old politicians who also fear death and leaving ill gotten gains behind.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by koolguy88(m): 8:29pm On Apr 24, 2020
uuzba:

Not productive....
But to buy phone, snap picture on Instagram and argue morning till night about Megapixels, we are expert at that one O

We're all saying the same thing. This is not being productive.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by CookieBrown: 8:38pm On Apr 24, 2020
Lyoncrescent:

When the nation completely runs out of food, all currencies will be rendered useless. I mean, how can you buy what you can't see in the first place? Leave a Nigerian without food for 3 days and he'll kill you, literally to get food. Now, imagine if he has access to weapons, not to mention the number of people all marching to tear down the so-called rich man's mansion. Before most flee to neighboring countries for food, most will die on the way, Not to mention time it'll take for OXFAM to come help a starving nation.

Nigerians need to stop thinking about the NOW and focus on the future. This pandemic is a warning and sign of what to expect in the future. Accumulation of wealth, be it cash, material gains or what have you is useless if not put into the nation's benefit.

God will not help Nigeria!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mikano Denies Link With Atiku Abubakar / Prepare Your Will If You Are Coming To Rig Election In Rivers State – Wike Warns / Mohammed Santuraki: Atiku Is A Formidable Opponent, Whether We Admit It Or Not

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.