Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? (4056 Views)

Nigerian Woman Laments The Increasing Cost Of Living In Canada / What Are The Benefits Of Living In Lekki? / Top 10 Nigeria Cities With The Lowest Cost Of Living - Politics Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 24, 2020
There are many Nigerians out there who may have in one way or the other had the chance of living Nigeria but due to some challenges all to no avail. I've once in my life been in that shoe before therefore, I will be starting with my experience and in turn expecting ur different stories so as to aid others to learn one or 2 things from this.

Sometime in 2014 I had the opportunity of living Nigeria abroad to three countries "USA, UK, Cyprus" for studies purpose I was given admission to three University through part funded scholarship with an agency Called "EasyCliq" I took exam with in Abuja. We were over 500 that took the exams then but only 22 of us were lucky to be selected and I happened to be one of the chosen. I was so happy cause I red hard, pray and fast prior to the exams, I met a guy in the agencies office the day I went to pay for the test fee and somehow, we became friends, we sat close to each other on the exam day but unfortunately, his name didn't come out. I did everything possible to pass the exam. u know now nobody like to joke with any opportunity to live Niger lol.. at the end God saw me through I was so happy the day I saw i'm part of the chosen applicants.

Although it was a part scholarship funding of 50% by the agency hence, we were made to carrter of the rest 50% cost and expenses however i was given admission in University of Dallas USA and I needed 2.8M to take care of the rest expenses, University Of Sunderland 2.6M would have make it work while in Cyprus I was admited in Near East University this was the cheapest cause I only needed to spend 900-1M to attend and Girne American University admitted me in Cyprus too but total cost I needed for this was 1.4M approximately because their tuition and dormitory is more expensive than that of Near East university.

However, when I saw the admission I was so happy jubilating and thanking God I'm about to live Nigeria for good as in who no go like live Nigeria na? But as faith will have it, I quickly rush to get my international passport which the agency told us to get cause it's a necessary tool to further start processing our departure arrangement and every other plans ad the case may be all in the name I have a brother abroad who could have helped me out but shock and pains gripped me when he told me he doesn't have money I felt so bad and then, I had little money as below 150k which couldn't have sort things out so I was then soliciting for help from family members to raise 800k to go Near East whete my where Childhood friend also school, he was happy when i told him i wss admited in same university he is, he was already expecting to receive me cause i told him i will be coming OH God! need i mention the guy is a big boy now rich with fleet of cars, investment and a hoouse to his name chai.. Today Steve no even remember say person like me dey exist he just bone me for a reason I don't know. Just the other day I tried charting him up on Instagram but he didn't reply me till date that's over a month now. (Maybe he think i will be askind and disturning him for money) that's the mentality of most of them, and see me wasting here in Nigeria with nothing to show no job, not even 10k in my bank account to boast of hmmmm that's life for you Na so financial challenge hold me back from living Nigeria back then in 2014 o.. Well, the day i later heard that majority over 15 of us that was picked went naso tears drop from my eyes.

Have u ever pass through similar experience or entirely different while trying to live Nigeria? Let's hear your story!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by ignis: 8:05pm On Apr 24, 2020
Several times, but I believe it is part of the cycles of life.

Life is not competition, life is also not a do or die.
Help comes from above and not abroad.
I believe I mustn't travel out of Nigeria to make it in life. Traveling abroad is not success.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Dangrace01: 8:08pm On Apr 24, 2020
Me wey get admission to study in Australia. Money things

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 24, 2020
Yes. I was offered a scholarship to study for my MSc at the University of Central Lancashire but my parents didn't have money to cover the remaining fees..I received an email from the dean of my faculty that I should embrace the opportunity as it comes once in a lifetime. The admission was purely unconditional. I try, try , try, e no work out.

I com veeeeex. I got a job a few months after the opportunity was lost. I com spend all my salary on night browsing in cyber cafe in those days, looking for opportunities to study abroad. In September 2004, my prayer was answered. My interview at the American consulate was like a joke because I wasn't fully prepared for it. A day preceding my interview, my application and supporting documents were drenched by a heavy rain the moment I stepped out of a cyber cafe the rain started. I had to spread them in my room in ibadan until the following morning and I left for Lagos for my appointment very early. I entered obalende CMS straight grin, still not taking it seriously because I didnt have enough time to prepare. I took my passport, loaded my visa fee on a valu card, which was the only means of paying visa fees that time.

The guy didn't even ask for my bank statement and that would have spoilt the show for me because I no get one...I just appeared by faith and that was my very first time of entering that place and any embassy for that matter. I left that place smiling and the rest was history. The destination was buffalo, upstate NY.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 24, 2020
ignis:
Several times
pls let's hear ur story

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by dawnomike(m): 8:18pm On Apr 24, 2020
My uncle travelled to the UK when I was in J.S.S 1, he promised he would one day cone for me. Growing up, it was a dream I looked forward to. I was in 100 level university of Ibadan studying a course I didn't really like... My uncle called my mum from the UK that he wanted me to cone over. Without my knowing, mum said NO! Cos I was already in school doing well and she wouldn't want me to get spoilt in the UK as her only son; So, dad had to succumb. It was after like 6 months I was discussing with dad about my course and it slipped out of his mouth that my uncle called. I never forgave them for years.

That is history now though as I chose to take responsibility for my life and move on with da hustle

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by IfeMiLove: 8:25pm On Apr 24, 2020
dawnomike:
My uncle travelled to the UK when I was in J.S.S 1, he promised he would one day cone for me. Growing up, it was a dream I looked forward to. I was in 100 level university of Ibadan studying a course I didn't really like... My uncle called my mum from the UK that he wanted me to cone over. Without my knowing, mum said NO! Cos I was already in school doing well and she wouldn't want me to get spoilt in the UK as her only son; So, dad had to succumb. It was after like 6 months I was discussing with dad about my course and it slipped out of his mouth that my uncle called. I never forgave them for years.

That is history now though as I chose to take responsibility for my life and move in with da hustle
Mhen,that's sad. Thank God you've moved on.

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Jay5mie: 8:40pm On Apr 24, 2020
My first opportunity is coming this year...I hope it would be the first and last cos its my only hope rn!

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by scrolldown88: 8:41pm On Apr 24, 2020
All this una story sweet die. Keep em coming.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Luckycharis: 9:27pm On Apr 24, 2020
If u have never experienced the pain of dreaming to travel and u got that opportunity and u didn't go..it takes alot to get over that ,Have always said this that is wen you want to travel out of the country then u know people u can call family or friends,cos during that period no one will ever accept he or she has money..but nevertheless keep the dream alive and keep pushing its surely gonna come wen the time is ryt...to me the setback is a force for me to keep trying until it comes...

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Saintsquare(m): 9:37pm On Apr 24, 2020
Even though it's not easy, once you have the dream, make a solid plan and pray to God.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 24, 2020
ignis:
Several times, but I believe it is part of the cycles of life.

Life is not competition, life is also not a do or die.
Help comes from above and not abroad.
I believe I mustn't travel out of Nigeria to make it in life. Traveling abroad is not success.
Be sincere and truthful,from your word I believe you're no more a teen
Ever since you were born and raised up in this Nigeria what are the basic things you've achieve
For me nothing and am close to 30
In foreign countries
You will see people making headway in life at early 20
And have seen people of over 60 here that can't boast of #100,000K in their account
My dear can you now see the difference

12 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 24, 2020
It's was around 2013
I have an elder sister in France that want me to come
But due to family beefing everything just failed
And ever since then she never mentioned it again
Even sometimes around 2018 I told her that am fed up of this Nigeria she just prayed for me consoling me that everything will be alright
Each time I think of it like this tears crywill just roll down from my eye walai typing it now is like a deep wound to me
Now see supposing am there since 2013 things will have turned out more better and okay for me
And since then I promised myself that am gonna fúcking get that money and fúcking Leave this poo-hole

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by TheTraveler: 10:55pm On Apr 24, 2020
wink

10 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Apr 24, 2020
fairfora:
Yes. I was offered a scholarship to study for my MSc at the University of Central Lancashire but my parents didn't have money to cover the remaining fees..I received an email from the dean of my faculty that I should embrace the opportunity as it comes once in a lifetime. The admission was purely unconditional. I try, try , try, e no work out.

I com veeeeex. I got a job a few months after the opportunity was lost. I com spend all my salary on night browsing in cyber cafe in those days, looking for opportunities to study abroad. In September 2004, my prayer was answered. My interview at the American consulate was like a joke because I wasn't fully prepared for it. A day preceding my interview, my application and supporting documents were drenched by a heavy rain the moment I stepped out of a cyber cafe the rain started. I had to spread them in my room in ibadan until the fowllong morning and I left for Lagos for my appointment very early. I entered obalende CMS straight grin, still not taking it seriously because I didnt have enough time to prepare. I took my passport, loaded my visa fee on a valu card, which was the only means of paying visa fees that time.

The guy didn't even ask for my bank statement and that would have spoilt the show for me because I no get one...I just appeared by faith and that was my very first time of entering that place and any embassy for that matter. I left that place smiling and the rest was history. The destination was buffalo, upstate NY.
2004? Bro u don old o. Nice story so are u still in NY?

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 24, 2020
dawnomike:

That is history now though as I chose to take responsibility for my life and move in with da hustle
just imaging this can be really painful. Ur mum f up so bad. All hope is not loss bro keep praying and hoping ine day things would work out. Wish u the best in all ur future endeavors!
Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Apr 24, 2020
AccessME:
2004? Bro u don old o. Nice story so are u still in NY?
grin So you think say na only indomie generation dey nairaland abi ? How old were you in 2004 ? grin I'm in my mid 40s aburo. I came back home to establish company in 2009 but we have manufacturers in 4 states in US and my colleagues and I come for product training annually. I have a property in Toledo Ohio which is like a second home so we always visit too. Cheers

17 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Apr 24, 2020
fairfora:
grin So you think say na only indomie generation dey nairaland abi ? How old were you in 2004 ? grin I'm in my mid 40s aburo. I came back home to establish company in 2009 but we have manufacturers in 4 states in US and my colleagues and I come for product training annually. I have a property in Toledo Ohio which is like a second home so we always visit too. Cheers

hahaa i'm still a tata in ur front be that o well, U are really doing well sir God bless u and ur hustle. Wish u well

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Apr 24, 2020
AccessME:
hahaa i'm still a tata in ur front be that o well, U are really doing well sir God bless u and ur hustle. Wish u well
Amen, God bless you too
Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by dawnomike(m): 7:41am On Apr 25, 2020
AccessME:
just imaging this can be really painful. Ur mum f up so bad. All hope is not loss bro keep praying and hoping ine day things would work out. Wish u the best in all ur future endeavors!
Thanks bro... It was very sad back then no be small grin
Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Lotusflowerbomb: 9:11am On Apr 25, 2020
I haven't had any solid opportunity like others whom their family members have offered to sponsor them. The relatives and friends I have, have refused to sponsor me. Still hoping on finding my own way.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by walkwithgod(m): 8:28pm On Apr 25, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

Be sincere and truthful,from your word I believe you're no more a teen
Ever since you were born and raised up in this Nigeria what are the basic things you've achieve
For me nothing and am close to 30
In foreign countries
You will see people making headway in life at early 20
And have seen people of over 60 here that can't boast of #100,000K in their account
My dear can you know see the difference

Mehn, this is the sad reality of Nigerians.

Nigeria kills dreams, nothing thrives here.

covid-19 + Unemployment + Crime + Over population + Bad economy + No Healthcare = BABA GOD, NA YOUR HAND I DEY.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by quasarJose: 8:40pm On Apr 25, 2020
Petrobowl 2018.

So we were a group of 5 "brainies" from OAU competing for three slots in an international oil and gas competition . My school isn't petroleum affliated to any reasonable extent but pitching some geology Ultras and chemical engineering nerds gave us a good balance.

We eventually qualified for the final berth by placing third in Nigeria. It was a huge moment. Feb 17,2018.

I just finished my undergraduate studies. I was top preparing for world finals called ATCE in Dallas, Texas. It was slated for late September.

The top three schools that qualified gets an all expense paid trip sponsored by the society of petroleum engineers in Nigeria.

Just a few weeks to the event, my team got all papers ready and went straight for the interview at the embassy. Family and friends prayed. I did too. But within 3min the white woman gave a pink form containing a "blog" of reasons why my application was denied. Same for all my folks. My head dropped. I became a stupid non- believer for several weeks lol. My mini-American dream quashed. I just wanted that stamp on my passport.

That's my story. Today, I have moved on and I will soon call again. #USAorburst grin

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by quasarJose: 8:44pm On Apr 25, 2020
fairfora:

Hello boss.
Please kindly consider me if you have a space in your firm. I will give my best to be a useful hand.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 25, 2020
quasarJose:

Hello boss.
Please kindly consider me if you have a space in your firm. I will give my best to be a useful hand.
Are you a biomed engineer?
Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by quasarJose: 12:40am On Apr 26, 2020
fairfora:
Are you a biomed engineer?

No sir. I am a Geologist but I am quite adept to learning. You will really find me useful in other aspects of your business. Can I dm you sir so as not to derail this thread?

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 2:05am On Apr 26, 2020
quasarJose:

No sir. I am a Geologist but I am quite adept to learning. You will really find me useful in other aspects of your business. Can I dm you sir so as not to derail this thread?
send your resume to imperialflavour@aol.com. I'd 4ward it to d team

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by quasarJose: 2:53am On Apr 26, 2020
fairfora:
send your resume to imperialflavour@aol.com. I'd 4ward it to d team

Oh. Thank you very much sir. I will do that right away..

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by morgang(m): 2:58am On Apr 26, 2020
fairfora:

I com veeeeex. I got a job a few months after the opportunity was lost. I com spend all my salary on night browsing in cyber cafe in those days, looking for opportunities to study abroad. In September 2004, my prayer was answered. My interview at the American consulate was like a joke because I wasn't fully prepared for it. A day preceding my interview, my application and supporting documents were drenched by a heavy rain the moment I stepped out of a cyber cafe the rain started. I had to spread them in my room in ibadan until the fowllong morning and I left for Lagos for my appointment very early. I entered obalende CMS straight grin, still not taking it seriously because I didnt have enough time to prepare. I took my passport, loaded my visa fee on a valu card, which was the only means of paying visa fees that time.

I’m in similar situation right now. Got an offer from a University in the US with full tuition waiver and monthly stipends. A statement of account of approximately 2.4m (Less than $7k) is requested as proof to support my living expenses; I’ve asked families to help with their statement of account to that effect but they seem to take the request for granted. Dem just Dey play me like soccer.

I have partially resign to faith but somehow I’m still hopeful. This Pandemic has halted the visa processing so, I’m on the lookout. Hopefully this opportunity won’t elude me sha.

Statement of account come turn war! Chai! Make God no shame person this year grin grin grin

Na Ibadan I Dey too grin (Using your testimony as a point of motivation )

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Obinnau(m): 5:13am On Apr 26, 2020
morgang:

I’m in similar situation right now. Got an offer from a University in the US with full tuition waiver and monthly stipends. A statement of account of approximately 2.4m (Less than $7k) is requested as proof to support my living expenses; I’ve asked families to help with their statement of account to that effect but they seem to take the request for granted. Dem just Dey play me like soccer.

I have partially resign to faith but somehow I’m still hopeful. This Pandemic has halted the visa processing so, I’m on the lookout. Hopefully this opportunity won’t elude me sha.

Statement of account come turn war! Chai! Make God no shame person this year grin grin grin

Na Ibadan I Dey too grin (Using your testimony as a point of motivation )
in the same shoe with you bro. Account balance is war

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 9:43am On Apr 26, 2020
Seun Lalasticlala Ishilove mynd444, this thread a nice and should make front page so others could learn 1 or 2 experience 4rm different views
Re: Have You Ever Had The Opportunity Of Living Nigeria Eventually Didn't Work Out? by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 26, 2020
Jay5mie:
My first opportunity is coming this year...I hope it would be the first and last cos its my only hope rn!
Amen brother! Mine is coming this year too, make Corona just shift go o

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Tinapa Project Is So Stupid. / 13 Richest Countries In The World (with Pictures) / Travel : 10 Of The Most Heavily Guarded Homes In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.