Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO (21815 Views)

Now That COVID-19 Vaccination Has Begun In Nigeria, Would You Get Vaccinated? / COVID-19: Stop Revealing Details Of Drugs Used For Treatment- FG Warns Survivors / Lichtenberg Figure: The scars Left On Lightning Strike Survivors (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by AFONJAPIG(m): 3:34pm On Apr 26, 2020
This useless organization again... They should just shut up their mouths... Always casting fear in our minds

1 Like

Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Fibonacci88: 3:35pm On Apr 26, 2020
Tango123:

Each time you get malaria, u used already developed drugs to treat it

Eqch time somwone gets covid 19, no drug to cure it

Sir, u comparism is not accurate. Comparing apples to avocado pear is not going to be good.

If u want to compare malaria reinfection to covid 19 reinfection, when u get malaria, dont treat it, dont take any anti malaria tablets. Just take only paracetamol and multivitamins.

Or do u not know that there is no drug yet for covid 19. Those who get it are only given pain killers to handle fever, oxygen. No drugs.
I understand ur point, but Malaria is by far a deadlier disease. A strong immune system is the reason why alot of us don't die of malaria and not necessarily the drugs. No matter how healthy u are anytime u do a malaria test 99% of the time it comes out positive. Malaria only breaks ppl down when the count becomes too much and overwhemls the immune system hence the need to take malaria drugs. My opinion is, if ur body can fight off the infection the first time, it shouldn't be a problem the second time except ur imune has been compromised. Covid19 is only scary cos of it's infectious rate and not because of how deadly it is. Imagine the whole world shutting down because of a diseas with less than 2% death rate and 90% recover without visiting an hospital. There is something WHO is not telling us and there is a grand scheme in play. Covid19 is just a means to get there.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Tango123: 3:45pm On Apr 26, 2020
mployer:

If your immune system could heal it the first time, it can heal it again and again.

Don't compare with malaria. We take drugs because immune system can't handle it.

Oga, i didnt compare with malaria. I was telling someone not to compare with malaria

As for ur assertion that if our immune system beats it once it can beat it again, all i have to say is, I wish you are correct. For now, until u give me the evidence, i will err on the side of caution. I will try to protect myself from this virus. Prevention is always better than cure.

There are some proverbs taught me by Chinua Achebe,

You dont use your head to test whether a rock is strong enough

You dont put into your eyes what you put into your ears.
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Tango123: 3:50pm On Apr 26, 2020
Fibonacci88:

I understand ur point, but Malaria is by far a deadlier disease. A strong immune system is the reason why alot of us don't die of malaria and not necessarily the drugs. No matter how healthy u are anytime u do a malaria test 99% of the time it comes out positive. Malaria only breaks ppl down when the count becomes too much and overwhemls the immune system hence the need to take malaria drugs. My opinion is, if ur body can fight off the infection the first time, it shouldn't be a problem the second time except ur imune has been compromised. Covid19 is only scary cos of it's infectious rate and not because of how deadly it is. Imagine the whole world shutting down because of a diseas with less than 2% death rate and 90% recover without visiting an hospital. There is something WHO is not telling us and there is a grand scheme in play. Covid19 is just a means to get there.

On what basis or statistics are you saying malaria is worse. Is it by infection rate, or death rate? Enlighten me please. Where us your evidence

Do you know that based on 3 percent death rate, if this infects every Nigerian, this means 6million Nigerians will die in one year. This is apart from the other illnesses that kill people in Nigeria. My estimate is that the 3 percent mortality is for countries with good healthcare. In Nigeria, due to a number of factors, it is likely to be more than 3 percent

Even at 3 percent, that is 6 million Nigerians.

How many does malaria kill in a year in Nigeria. I will like to know sir

Based on my google search, i saw 300,000 deaths a year from malaria in Nigeria. Sir, that is way below 6 million

What is your opinion sir on the information i just provided you.

Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by linearity: 3:57pm On Apr 26, 2020
GamalNasser:
So how is the Vaccine expected to work when a full infection can't create enough antibodies to stall reinfection so hows a docile vaccine strain of infection expected to guarantee that ?

I think when scientists speak publicly, they are overly cautious with words.

The phrase ‘no evidence’ means a lot. It could mean WHO is still testing...has not start testing...etc. I would have been more worried if WHO said....”there is evidence that you don’t get immunity from an infection’. Which will be totally different from what they stated above.

Agreed, natural immunity are more potent than those acquired through vaccines, but remember that the body got it from doing a ‘life n death’ battle against a live virus and though the body won, but it was truly beaten up in a number of ways and places by the virus.

The body now have the cure by way of immunity, but it is still weak, it needs to replenish lost nutrients. Facing the same opponent within a very short period of time as we are seeing with those who retested positive might not be the best or real world situation with other kind of viruses.

All the cases with reinfections that I have read about, did not show symptoms and they recovered, it means the immunity worked. Agreed it didn’t give the virus a technical knockout at first sight of second reappearance, maybe because it was still weak and was not expecting a rematch this soon, but it did it’s job and retained it’s belt.
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by ManLikeBlaize: 3:58pm On Apr 26, 2020
Hahaha, but there is evidence that it can be transmitted through farts!! Lol, y'all are jokers
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Rotorm: 4:01pm On Apr 26, 2020
Hope this will end soon...
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 26, 2020
W.H.O should shut up
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Tango123: 4:15pm On Apr 26, 2020
linearity:

I think when scientists speak publicly, they are overly cautious with words.

The phrase ‘no evidence’ means a lot. It could mean WHO is still testing...has not start testing...etc. I would have been more worried if WHO said....”there is evidence that you don’t get immunity from an infection’. Which will be totally different from what they stated above.

Agreed, natural immunity are more potent than those acquired through vaccines, but remember that the body got it from doing a ‘life n death’ battle against a live virus and though the body won, but it was truly beaten up in a number of ways and places by the virus.

The body now have the cure by way of immunity, but it is still weak, it needs to replenish lost nutrients. Facing the same opponent within a very short period of time as we are seeing with those who retested positive might not be the best or real world situation with other kind of viruses.

All the cases with reinfections that I have read about, did not show symptoms and they recovered, it means the immunity worked. Agreed it didn’t give the virus a technical knockout at first sight of second reappearance, maybe because it was still weak and was not expecting a rematch this soon, but it did it’s job and retained it’s belt.

Sound reasoning. Welldone sir
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Fibonacci88: 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2020
Tango123:

On what basis or statistics are you saying malaria is worse. Is it by infection rate, or death rate? Enlighten me please. Where us your evidence

Do you know that based on 3 percent death rate, if this infects every Nigerian, this means 6million Nigerians will die in one year. This is apart from the other illnesses that kill people in Nigeria. My estimate is that the 3 percent mortality is for countries with good healthcare. In Nigeria, due to a number of factors, it is likely to be more than 3 percent

Even at 3 percent, that is 6 million Nigerians.

How many does malaria kill in a year in Nigeria. I will like to know sir

Based on my google search, i saw 300,000 deaths a year from malaria in Nigeria. Sir, that is way below 6 million

What is your opinion sir on the information i just provided you.
First of all ur assumption that everyone in Nigeria would be infected is highly flawed. Even 10% of the whole population can't be infected if we do the right thing of maintaining social distance, proper hygiene and wearing face mask we will all be fine and go around with our normal lives.
Covid19 confirmed cases worldwide is 2.92M that is less than 0.04% of the world population with about 204k deaths worldwide.if we extrapolate that to Nigeria, let's even assume 0.5% of our population is infected which I know it's impossible. That will be about 800k confirmed cases. With a death rate of 6% which I will still think it's high we would have about 48000 deaths. Let's assume all this infection took 6months, we would have a total of 96000 deaths yearly far less than malaria. I hope u can see that we are trying to kill an housefly on our scrotum with a sledgehammer. Social distancing and proper hygiene is key and not all these fear mongering. We have a far deadly disease in malaria and hunger with us already.
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by linearity: 4:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
Fibonacci88:

The reality of those 2% death rate is this....

With current Nigeria population of about 200 mil, birth rate of 37 per 1000 and world population of about 7.6 bil.

4 mil Nigerian will die immediately and nothing less that 150,000 each year will be added to mortality rate.

About 152 mil will die world wide immediately and additional million each year.

Agreed, the yearly figures will reduce with the advancement of medicine and vaccines...but the immediate death toll is enough to take drastic action now to flattened the curve.
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Tango123: 4:44pm On Apr 26, 2020
Fibonacci88:

First of all ur assumption that everyone in Nigeria would be infected is highly flawed. Even 10% of the whole population can't be infected if we do the right thing of maintaining social distance, proper hygiene and wearing face mask we will all be fine and go around with our normal lives.
Covid19 confirmed cases worldwide is 2.92M that is less than 0.04% of the world population with about 204k deaths worldwide.if we extrapolate that to Nigeria, let's even assume 0.5% of our population is infected which I know it's impossible. That will be about 800k confirmed cases. With a death rate of 6% which I will still think it's high we would have about 48000 deaths. Let's assume all this infection took 6months, we would have a total of 96000 deaths yearly far less than malaria. I hope u can see that we are trying to kill an housefly on our scrotum with a sledgehammer. Social distancing and proper hygiene is key and not all these fear mongering. We have a far deadly disease in malaria and hunger with us already.

I am really enjoying this exchange with you as i can see you reason quite intelligently. Thank you sir

I hear your argument in this post here, and i think it is quite valid.

But sir, it makes an assumption too. It assumes that Nigerians will use social distancing to the extent used in developed nations. It assumes that our government will do things that will enable and encourage Nigerians to abide by social distancing and proper hygiene, as governments in developed nations have done. It presumes that Nigeria will do wnough testing and tracking and traceing as many developed nations have done. We know our government is failing on all fronts. Kano is an example

All in all, both of us want what is best for Nigeria

The only reason i countered your first post was that I feared it will be read by people who are less intelligent than you, and who will say, yes, malaria is more dangerous. And i dont fear malaria and i don't socially distance because of malaria. So to hell with lockdown.

But i can see you think differently. I hope all who read your post will think like you
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Nairalandmonika: 4:47pm On Apr 26, 2020
tarantino1:

If the antibodies are not enough to prevent reinfection, it means there is still a high chance of being reinfected by the same strain and one idiot here yesterday was taking about herd immunity.

What are the chances that vaccine would even work?
If antibodies can't prevent reinfection how then can a vaccine work, do u even know what a vaccine is.
A vaccine is a weak strain if the virus which when injected into the body, the body response by producing these antibodies to prevent infection from the real virus, WHO at this point seems very confused. Saying antibodies doesn't prevent reinfection is thesame thing as saying a vaccine will not work.

Mind you WHO first claim there was no human to human transmission earlier on at the beginning of the outbreak.

They should just keep quiet and do their research or allow different countries do their own research b4 bringing out such news.
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Nairalandmonika: 4:49pm On Apr 26, 2020
eni4real:
cc: Nairalandmonika
I know how herd immunity work, if u read what I wrote yesterday I said a lot of people will die for herd immunity to happen.
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by tarantino1: 6:25pm On Apr 26, 2020
Nairalandmonika:

If antibodies can't prevent reinfection how then can a vaccine work, do u even know what a vaccine is.
A vaccine is a weak strain if the virus which when injected into the body, the body response by producing these antibodies to prevent infection from the real virus, WHO at this point seems very confused. Saying antibodies doesn't prevent reinfection is thesame thing as saying a vaccine will not work.

Mind you WHO first claim there was no human to human transmission earlier on at the beginning of the outbreak.

They should just keep quiet and do their research or allow different countries do their own research b4 bringing out such news.

I specifically asked a rhetorical question about if the vaccine would work if reinfection is possible and you went on to write a long post explaining same thing
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by emvuatt: 6:32pm On Apr 26, 2020
Let's start celebrating covid-19 is history already
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by tunjijones(m): 7:01pm On Apr 26, 2020
koolpal:
this way he learns and other people to... Not by attacking and leaving him fuming for busting his ego...

This is noted. I really did not mean to trample on his ego.

I hope we defeat the virus. A micro organism wants to take over the world..
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by BigotMan(m): 7:22pm On Apr 26, 2020
GamalNasser:
So how is the Vaccine expected to work when a full infection can't create enough antibodies to stall reinfection so hows a docile vaccine strain of infection expected to guarantee that ?

That is the cruz of the matter...If you could solve that puzzle, you might be nominated for the Nobel Prize.

1 Like

Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Fibonacci88: 7:52pm On Apr 26, 2020
No
Tango123:

I am really enjoying this exchange with you as i can see you reason quite intelligently. Thank you sir

I hear your argument in this post here, and i think it is quite valid.

But sir, it makes an assumption too. It assumes that Nigerians will use social distancing to the extent used in developed nations. It assumes that our government will do things that will enable and encourage Nigerians to abide by social distancing and proper hygiene, as governments in developed nations have done. It presumes that Nigeria will do wnough testing and tracking and traceing as many developed nations have done. We know our government is failing on all fronts. Kano is an example

All in all, both of us want what is best for Nigeria

The only reason i countered your first post was that I feared it will be read by people who are less intelligent than you, and who will say, yes, malaria is more dangerous. And i dont fear malaria and i don't socially distance because of malaria. So to hell with lockdown.

But i can see you think differently. I hope all who read your post will think like you

I get ur point. I am not trying to underestimate the virus. It's very deadly. My point is, we don't try to solve a problem and create a bigger one. If we juxtapose the effect of the Corona virus and it's effect on our economy, we have a bigger problem of a bleeding economy compared to whatever death might be caused by this virus. That's why I made a comparison with malaria. Millions of jobs are already on the line if we continue this way. Puting millions of employable ppl on the street jobless is worse than any virus u can think of. What am emphazing is let's just take this virus at face value. It's deadly we know but we can do our best to supress the number of deaths and reduce it's spread while we wait for a final solution.
Social distancing should not be hard to practice if governors at state level enforces it. The state I am currently it's working and enforced 100%. Shops, restaurant, supermarket etc all have a bowl of running water for everyone to wash and sanitize thier hands b4 entering. We don't need the government this time around they have proven to always fail us. If everyone observe basic hygiene before u know it becomes part of us. Me I can remember when last I shook someone's hands. It's gradually becoming part of me. My challenges is with cities like Lagos. With the hustle and bustle social distance would be difficult. But for every other part of the country, that should be the way to go.
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by LZAA: 7:59pm On Apr 26, 2020
imhotep:

Its like WHO has now joined APC.

cc lzaa itooworwor
grin grin grin
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by MansoryMX(m): 8:08pm On Apr 26, 2020
MISTAICEY02288:
Mtcheeww.. Even WHO is not to be trusted on this Covid-19 issue.. They've been bought themselves. undecided

The whole world is confused. Nobody understands the pattern and true nature of this virus in order for a vaccine to be created and even if this virus is man made, i belive whoever made it must have realize he made a mistake thinking he or she can cash out of if a cure is produce by him or them.

1 Like

Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by MISTAICEY02288(m): 8:09pm On Apr 26, 2020
MansoryMX:

The whole world is confused. Nobody understands the pattern and true nature of this virus in order for a vaccine to be cure and even this virus is man made, i belive whoever made realize he made a mistake thinking he or she can cash out of a cure is produce by him or them.

Hmmm well you're actually right though. May God have mercy and heal our land.
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Cousin9999: 9:06pm On Apr 26, 2020
Irresponsible, unprofessional reporting.
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Tinfoil: 2:57am On Apr 27, 2020
There is no pandemic. Sweden did not lockdown and there were no massive deaths. The modeling software was wrong. Africa should stop copying the us and Europe and open up it economies

1 Like

Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by lovingyouhun: 5:57am On Apr 27, 2020
Bacteriologist:
There has been at least 8 strains of COVID-19 identified so far. What I think the WHO is saying is that if you get infected by one strain of Covid-19 you might become immune to that particular strain but still remain susceptible to other strains after recovering.

Also, antibodies have been found in some recovered patients but they are not enough to prevent reinfection.

This virus is more dangerous than we think folks. We are in for a really long ride.

Good morning, please at what site did you find the news on this picture? I'd like to see, especially if they update daily
Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by Bacteriologist(m): 10:16am On Apr 27, 2020
lovingyouhun:

Good morning, please at what site did you find the news on this picture? I'd like to see, especially if they update daily

Ok it's on Facebook. Just type "Hashem Al-Ghaili" in the search box and follow him.

1 Like

Re: No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO by lovingyouhun: 11:11am On Apr 27, 2020
Bacteriologist:

Ok it's on Facebook. Just type "Hashem Al-Ghaili" in the search box and follow him.

Ok, thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Patients Go Blind After Injection In A Kaduna Hospital / Government Hospital Mistakenly Switches Babies Whose Parents Have Same Surname / How Can I Get Rid Of The Worm In My Throat

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.