Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,446 members, 7,836,781 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 - Travel (152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (1187940 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (723) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by ayoadefantastic: 7:22pm On Jul 14, 2020
Spot on! I thought it might not necessarily be evaluated like that i.e bsc math therefore msc math is the most suitable. Math is quantitative, economics is too. Physics and Engineering and stuffs like these. I guess they would have that allowances. I say this so that people will not think they must have a program that bears same name or directly related to their previous program before they can study in Canada.

Osemigho:

Admission chances- High, but you have to explain why you changing to economics. Generally most MBA don’t care about your previous program because they need your money and the business field is wide.

Full Funding chances- High for Economics, Little to none for MBA.

Visa chances? You need to read and think about that before you apply to any program. Generally it is better if your proposed program is related to your previous program and experience. I.e. Bsc Math going for Msc Maths. However, if your experience is not Maths related, it can complicate things a little bit. The good thing is that you have about six months to plan it properly and apply to start in September 2021.

All the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Mobi22: 7:38pm On Jul 14, 2020
Jacktours:
awaiting visa approval

When did you submit please?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by owee: 7:38pm On Jul 14, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by lighthousearc: 8:12pm On Jul 14, 2020
eightyeight:
GOOD NEWS

Great news but there's an important note.

"It is important for prospective students to note that commencing their studies online from abroad following approval-in-principle of a study permit application is not a guarantee that they will receive a full approval of their study permit application, or be authorized to pursue their studies in Canada. It is still possible that an applicant could receive a negative final decision on their study permit based on factors such as inadmissibility for criminality or security reasons, and the inability to predict how the COVID-19 situation and any associated travel restrictions will evolve."

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by eightyeight: 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2020
lighthousearc:

"It is important for prospective students to note that commencing their studies online from abroad following approval-in-principle of a study permit application is not a guarantee that they will receive a full approval of their study permit application, or be authorized to pursue their studies in Canada. It is still possible that an applicant could receive a negative final decision on their study permit based on factors such as inadmissibility for criminality or security reasons, and the inability to predict how the COVID-19 situation and any associated travel restrictions will evolve."

Hardly have we seen anyone that has been denied because of admissibility reasons on here. It mostly always eligibility reasons. If you are found eligible then i believe you are 80 % there.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 14, 2020
This new IRCC update sweet my belly die. Congrats to we all fall applicants in advance this is a blessing in disguise it would favour us all

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by justexcellent: 9:47pm On Jul 14, 2020
I have some concerns about this new IRCC update. What if one does not want to take online classes for fall semester and yet he/she wants to apply for the study permit for fall? Will the person be approved after passing the admissibility and eligibility checks? Actually, the question is how will they differentiate or know those who will be taking online classes and those who wouldn't for fall when examining applications? Also, can the student visa be used for the winter semester if travel restrictions are still in place?

Guys, please what do you think? Many thanks!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nwannediutor: 9:48pm On Jul 14, 2020
lighthousearc:

If you don’t have a criminal record or serious medical issue then you don’t have an issue with the admissibility ✌️
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by YemmyPOG: 10:29pm On Jul 14, 2020
I believe not proceeding may now turn out to be red flag for a visa officer in arriving at a decision for our study permit final approval. Because, EXCEPT I am the one interpreting this wrongly, and to be quite honest with ourselves, we can't fault this measures Canada just introduced e.g allowing period of application count for PGWP, (infact kudos to them for their magnanimity), at this point we have no excuse to want to defer admission...
Doing so may contradict our purpose of visit which is supposed to be SOLELY for study.
Note: emphasis on EXCEPT.
I'd really like more input on this new development too by the more experienced people.
justexcellent:
I have some concerns about this new IRCC update. What if one does not want to take online classes for fall semester and yet he/she wants to apply for the study permit for fall? Will the person be approved after passing the admissibility and eligibility checks? Actually, the question is how will they differentiate or know those who will be taking online classes and those who wouldn't for fall when examining applications? Also, can the student visa be used for the winter semester if travel restrictions are still in place?

Guys, please what do you think? Many thanks!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ujeinijobog: 11:01pm On Jul 14, 2020
Hello all,

Please I have some concerns about the latest news of IRCC. It states that more than 50%of the program has to be completed within Canada. The question now is considering the uncertainty of the current situation, what if we have 50% or more of the program online?
For instance, in my case, my school stated that we'll have the fall semester online (but they aren't sure if we'll proceed afterwards). Now the question is what if the fall semester constitute 50%? In that case the eligibility for PGWP will be affected.

Also, I already deferred my admission to fall next year but I don't know if I should retract it. My issue now is if I retract it, will I be able to unilaterally inform the school that I only want to take less than 50% of the entire program online since they aren't even sure whether we will continue online or not?

Still on the uncertainty, I'm worried about what will happen if assuming I get the visa and won't be able to travel. What if Canada opens up and Nigeria doesn't? Or even exclude Nigeria from the list of countries like Europe did? In this case, what if I have to take 50% or more of the program online? This will ultimately affect my eligibility for PGWP.

Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by YemmyPOG: 11:25pm On Jul 14, 2020
Is your tuition fee payable per course or on a flat rate termly basis? Mine is the former, so my plan IF I proceed with this online study is to take things slow n steady by taking just 1 or 2 courses to maintain full time student status, doing so will buy me time to buffer any COVID-19 uncertainty.

quote author=Ujeinijobog post=91722413]Hello all,

Please I have some concerns about the latest news of IRCC. It states that more than 50%of the program has to be completed within Canada. The question now is considering the uncertainty of the current situation, what if we have 50% or more of the program online?
For instance, in my case, my school stated that we'll have the fall semester online (but they aren't sure if we'll proceed afterwards). Now the question is what if the fall semester constitute 50%? In that case the eligibility for PGWP will be affected.

Also, I already deferred my admission to fall next year but I don't know if I should retract it. My issue now is if I retract it, will I be able to unilaterally inform the school that I only want to take less than 50% of the entire program online since they aren't even sure whether we will continue online or not?

Still on the uncertainty, I'm worried about what will happen if assuming I get the visa and won't be able to travel. What if Canada opens up and Nigeria doesn't? Or even exclude Nigeria from the list of countries like Europe did? In this case, what if I have to take 50% or more of the program online? This will ultimately affect my eligibility for PGWP.

Thank you.

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ujeinijobog: 11:43pm On Jul 14, 2020
I have no information regarding that. I also don't think I will be able to leverage on your plan cause I got funding.

YemmyPOG:

Is your tuition fee payable per course or on a flat rate termly basis? Mine is the former, so my plan IF I proceed with this online study is to take things slow n steady by taking just 1 or 2 courses to maintain full time student status, doing so will buy me time to buffer any COVID-19 uncertainty.

quote author=Ujeinijobog post=91722413]Hello all,

Thank you.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by YemmyPOG: 11:50pm On Jul 14, 2020
That's a dicy one then. Maybe you should try and seek clarity on this concern on IRCC Twitter thread u may be lucky to get a reply from them. Goodluck.

quote author=Ujeinijobog post=91723308]I have no information regarding that. I also don't think I will be able to leverage on your plan cause I got funding.

[/quote]
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ujeinijobog: 12:02am On Jul 15, 2020
Alright, thank you.

YemmyPOG:
That's a dicy one then. Maybe you should try and seek clarity on this concern on IRCC Twitter thread u may be lucky to get a reply from them. Goodluck.

quote author=Ujeinijobog post=91723308]I have no information regarding that. I also don't think I will be able to leverage on your plan cause I got funding.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by eben1991: 12:16am On Jul 15, 2020
I graduated with 2.2 (3.34/5) Bsc International Relations and I already concluded my MA in International Relations 3.42/4. I want to ask if my undergraduate grade point won't affect my admission process to Canadian Universities for PhD programmes. Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Eilenora: 1:41am On Jul 15, 2020
Hello All,

So I just submitted my online application and realised I did not include evidence of ownership of business companies for hubby (his side runs basically) which I had made mention of in my SOP. Please what do I do? Do I send an email attaching it or just let it be? Since he is my primary sponsor arent these documents a deal breaker? Kindly advise.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 1:48am On Jul 15, 2020
Eilenora:
Hello All,

So I just submitted my online application and realised I did not include evidence of ownership of business companies for hubby (his side runs basically) which I had made mention of in my SOP. Please what do I do? Do I send an email attaching it or just let it be? Since he is my primary sponsor arent these documents a deal breaker? Kindly advise.
wow! I asked something like this earlier on concerning omitting a document and sending it to them, I got an answer which is
After submitting your application online you can’t add any other document or send to them unless they require it from you they would contact you.
Keep your head high have hope and pray it would end well best regards
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Luckymama: 2:09am On Jul 15, 2020
Eilenora:
Hello All,

Hi. I hope you attached other evidence of his income? If he has a really good job as his main source of income it might not matter. But if the business is the source of a great part of his income then that’s a problem.

I seem to have heard of people attaching additional information by means of a web form or something like that. Maybe you should google that. Because I know for certain that they won’t ask you for any additional documents. They will judge your matter based on what you submitted. So google web form and see if it is applicable in your situation.

Or if you feel really strongly about it and can afford to, you may withdraw the application and re-apply.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Luckymama: 2:16am On Jul 15, 2020
Hi all. Please I urgently need a contact for transcript from OAU. I got provisional admission for my program using a soft copy unofficial transcript (student copy). Since December 2019 I applied through ETX for the official one to be sent to the school. Nothing.

I intend to start the online courses in Sept. But I just received information from my school that registration for courses has opened up but I won’t be allowed to register until they receive official copy from OAU. My contact there has just been posting me. Does anyone have any legit contact that can help?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Kayice001: 2:21am On Jul 15, 2020
Good day bro, i created an account just to get in touch with you after viewing your thread, i recently got an admission and i'm yet to complete filing my documents but from what i see here i think there's more i need than what i've already done, i would appreciate to have a confidential talk with you , please how do i contact you ,thanks
Frankrobbn1:

You've very limited time to file for your VISA application in view of the current processing times which have been increased to 8 weeks now. Since you're waiting for a decison to made on your admission at TRU in the upcoming weeks, your best bet is to defer your acceptance to Winter as this will give you ample time to prepare and package your application tightly.

It will end in praise
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Tarry(m): 2:30am On Jul 15, 2020
silvamania:
Hello

Please I need an answer or an advice to this question that’s bothering me seriously

I have 12M in my personal account . Sponsorship not exactly forthcoming

I am going for a program of 8.2M (MBA).

Should I submit this bank account along side my landed properties , shares and other investments

Or i shouldn’t till I find a sponsor??

Thank you all

Yes submit this bank account along side your landed properties and other assets. You don't need sponsor because you have enough money to cover the tuition and CAD10000 living expenses for one year. Having a sponsor will not really boost your application. What matter is the justification for the program because it is a big financial outlay but you are better off being self sponsor since it is just a year long program unless your sponsor is a close relative like a parent
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Tenianu: 2:33am On Jul 15, 2020
Truly inspiring! Go for it..Never give up!

neverlosehope:
Good day All,

I will like to encourage sometime with a little about my story.
I graduated from a Nigerian university with a second-class lower division degree in STEM at 24 years and finished NYSC at 25 years. Unfortunately, as peculiar with Nigerian environmental, I got my first job at 28 years after 4 years in the wilderness. The delay in getting a job was my mediocre degree (i.e., finishing with 2.2) and lack of working experience at 25 years (how will I get the necessary work experience when I have never been employed).

Fast forward to a decade later, after working for over a decade, got frustrated with Nigeria society placing a limited to what you can achieve, I decide to make a change to my family situation by returning to school in US/Canada. Initially, there were few obstacles, I got admitted into a fully-funded master’s degree program in the US with an average stipend by God’s grace. I left the shore or Nigeria with my entire family and started the program at 40 years. I graduated with a master’s degree with a GPA of 3.56/4.0 at 42 years. Fortunately, I was admitted into a fully-funded Ph.D. program in Canada’s top university with a very generous stipend and started the program at 42 years. I have currently completed the program required coursework with a GPA of 4.0/4.0, passed candidacy exam, five publications, and 3 manuscripts under review in top peer-review journals.

What is my point?
Despite where you might have started from, the environment you live might not be favorable to you, age or family commitments might be barriers. However, do not give up, please hold on to your dream. The grace of God will see you through. If you quit today, you have failed tomorrow.

Please note
My story is not unique; I have seen many tremendous journeys of beautiful people who do not quit/give up and achieved great heights. I am sharing my story to encourage you that no barrier is big or strong enough to stop you from achieving your dream.

I hope to challenge someone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Tarry(m): 2:34am On Jul 15, 2020
silvamania:
Good Evening

I just got admitted into university of New Brunswick MBA programme September 2020

I will need your guidance for my visa applications

Thanks in advance

Congratulation on your admission but did you get this admission without GMAT because you mentioned not having time to sit for GMAT?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by olearypo: 3:12am On Jul 15, 2020
YemmyPOG:

You need to take at least 3 courses per semester to maintain full time status

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by nelmc: 3:33am On Jul 15, 2020
Ujeinijobog:
I have no information regarding that. I also don't think I will be able to leverage on your plan cause I got funding.

Please how did you get funding and to what school.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Naijaforeigner: 4:21am On Jul 15, 2020
jessicajessa:
Hi All,

I haven't been here for a while, but l saw an update which moved me greatly to post, incase anyone has unanswered questions.

Warning this post is gonna be really long but it's worth the read, trust me (just a little way l can help, airing my opinion...l was once in your shoes, so l know how it feels!).

I think now is a great time to study online, if you are thinking of deferring, please do not as now is a chance to have an upper hand! I doubt if a vo can argue about the genuineness of an applicant who has started studying online. This can be escalated if there is a future denial, because l believe the Vos won't want to stir any drama in the air & in my opinion, if they were to refuse an app, after obvious studies has began online, it's really gonna reduce their credibility on refusing an applicant on the ground of not being a genuine student. A student who isn't genuine, won't take the risk but someone who wants to study, have absolute right to study online.

If l were in the concerned individuals shoes, l would act as follows:

1. My app is in progress, oh nothing is gonna change, l would proceed in opening up a webform with a proof of my intention or/and errolment online, to start online studies including attachments of whatever email l got from the school.

Web Form Link: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

2. My app hasn't been submitted category, even better! Put in the above info and your intention in your LOE.

3. I have an admission but haven't started the process, l am thinking of deferring. Please do not defer, l repeat....do not defer! Take advantage of this to improve your chances. I believe the risk is worth it.

4. I have no admission yet, my advise is to start applying to schools who have response rate within a month and start online! It isn't bad shooting your shots (people are still working from home in Canada, so let's hope for the best).

5. For those doubting and scared... please read the link below to see what's going on.

The verdict is that most countries like Canada are passionate about keeping their economy top notch, and international student are a good source of revenue! The online study option was designed to be a win win....just have it in mind that as much as you want to study, they want you to spend your money in their economy & boost it in the long run (there is no secret that international student are a good source of workers & permanent residency holders in future, people who schooled previously in Canada, are given an advantage to increase their chances i.e points towards future P.R & express entry app (talking from experience as l came in through studies too & it's been a bit of smooth sailing, that l literally feel entitled to somethings. Please note that getting into Canada is hard but when you're in, things get easier as long as you are focus & you break no rule).

For more info about online studies or concerns, please read the following:

Most Recent In News to answer questions:
https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/coronavirus-ircc-updates-for-international-students-0614584.html/amp

Previous News: https://www.cicnews.com/2020/05/canada-announces-major-study-and-work-visa-change-for-fall-2020-0514355.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter-20200515#gs.6n6wnx

Apologies for quoting this long post. I remember clearly, this was the lady as at June 07, 2020 who first suggested that people should take advantage of this COVID19 situation. Infact, she mentioned people should not defer but rather submit their applications, pay fees and start online courses.

Reading the news from IRCC, I guess she was super spot on.

Fall students, take advantage of this opportunity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Kayice001: 6:54am On Jul 15, 2020
Good day bro , regarding documents additional documents to submit In my application, I’m 22 years old , Wrote neco last year and have no business of my own ... I’m using my mom as my sponsor , she already paid my complete tuition fee ... so do I need to upload proof of her business and I do also need to provide a letter of explanation and proof of home ties ? Thanks for your assistance

I regret to hear that your study permit application was delayed based on the aforementioned grounds.

Please see comments below concerning some of the flaws in your last application:

Who is your sponsor? Is your sponsor closely related to you. Why are you been sponsored by someone when you laid a claim to have a well to do business in Nigeria which your wife will be monitoring and maintaining its smooth running while you're away for studies.

How old are you that you're still relying on someone for financial support for your studies abroad. Did you extensively and rationally explain how your family (spouse and kids) will be coping in case of any financial constraint that needs to be sorted out while you're away? -----》 This is why the visa officer has concerns about your family ties back home.

The visa officer raised limited employment prospects because you've not sufficiently convince them about your prospect with the Local Government commissions. How much do you earn from this organisation?, is the pay impressive that would compel your return home after studies? -----》 This is why the visa officer has concerns about your employment prospects back home.

You affirmed that you've a running business in Nigeria, did you include pictures of this business or transaction receipts to give an insight about the business. Any proof of business transactions in your bank statement from customers? Or company account?

I think you need to shed more light on the questions i have raised about your profile.

It will end in praise.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Dameelee: 8:51am On Jul 15, 2020
Dameelee:
Good day everybody.
Please I applied for visa in March and got BVL just a few days after but I couldn't do the biometric because of the lockdown and they are yet to reopen.
I had to defer my admission till Jan 2021. My question now is do I have to reapply for visa again or just go on with my pending application? How do I inform the VO that I deferred my admission?
I am seriously confused please.

Please guys I need a response to this, please anyone with information?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by owolabia: 8:54am On Jul 15, 2020
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by NairaLuck: 9:14am On Jul 15, 2020
owolabia:
Good news on How to qualify for first stage approval for international students

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/07/canada-makes-huge-changes-to-help-international-students-0715032.html/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Going with this new rule from IRCC, does it mean those of us already admitted for winter 2021 should pause our SP application? Cause it seems priority is given to Fall '20 backwards.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by wendynuel: 9:38am On Jul 15, 2020
Good morning All,

Just saw revised study visa processing time on IRCC’s website for Nigerian applicants

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Frankrobbn1: 9:45am On Jul 15, 2020
Eilenora:
Hello All,

Please raise a CSE by sending the proof of your husband's ownership of business via
IRCC WEBFORM NAIRAOBI. In the mail, you should explain to the immigration authorities that it was an honest mistake to have omitted the document while uploading your files for submission. Never to worry, the visa officer will update your application appropriately with the new information provided.

It will end in praise

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (723)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.