Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,344 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 - Travel (169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (1161296 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (723) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by wendynuel: 10:39am On Jul 24, 2020
Hello,

No, get daily updates on this site

https://www.vfsglobal.com/en/individuals/covid-19-customer-advisories.html

Taisonlee:
Hello nairalanders, have any Canadian biometric centre opened in Nigeria?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by wendynuel: 11:08am On Jul 24, 2020
Hello Brownie,

I think IRCC has modified its operations slightly based on its latest pronouncement on the two stage approval process for study permit. Submitted my application on the 20th of June with upfront medicals. All these while till 5pm yesterday (23/07/2020), eligibility check hadn't commenced but background check was in progress. At about 9.00 pm yesterday, i noticed my medical has been updated to passed and eligibility check commenced. They did not send any mail notification.

Note: Biometrics still outstanding.

***It will be nice to hear from others as well***

Brownie1003:
Hi everyone,

Congrats to those who have been requested to do medicals. Pls, does medical request come after passing eligibility or before. Pls those who saw medical request, have you passed eligibility?

Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Kellymaria: 11:21am On Jul 24, 2020
Hi guys, will be going for my medical at qlife tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me what I need to know? I want to be informed about the process.

Do I need to collect the result before I leave ? Just to have a copy with me.

What other things do I need to be aware off. Please guys
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Iceman2020: 11:26am On Jul 24, 2020
How I wish I have a better word to use than "thank you", I would have used it.
Still Thank you so much Osemigho.
You are one of the very few Nairalanders in Canada that return here and dash people guidance and advices.
Having you here is a blessing. I followed your story when you were once a GA at Unilag before proceeding to graduate studies. I am very glad that you are doing very well.

At the bolded, I would like to officially apply to be one of mentees. Trust me, I won't bother you too much, I only need few information and I will paddle the canoe myself. But if you insist you want to be like those Canadian professors that usually say "I don't have room and fund to accommodate more students... grin " It is highly understandable.

Nevertheless, with the dept of information you have shared, it will go a very long way... This feedback means a lot to me. Whereas, some things keep baffling me a lot about this Canada which of course I won't like to ask openly and it's people like you that can give me the answers.

Osemigho:

Wow, you asked a serious question. I will try to give you pros, cons, and suggestions to not discourage you entirely. My advise is based on my reading and careful observation of PhD graduates in Canada including a former Vanier Scholar.

The good side of phd:
A good PhD profile makes you a global citizen i.e. you can get a research or academic Job anywhere in the world after it. Also there are funding opportunities for it. In fact, I would advise you to never accept a PhD without full funding because I don’t believe the sacrifice, without funding, is worth it. If you like book (research) and you see yourself as a lecturer/prof, you definitely need a PhD and should get one by all means.

The ugly side of a PhD:
There are less research and academic opportunities. In fact, the industry is collapsing and becoming overwhelmed day by day making the competition extremely tough. As a PhD graduate in Canada seeking to stay in Canada, you will likely apply for jobs alongside others in Canada, US, UK, etc. If I will not lie to you, US PhD student are usually better prepared for academic jobs than Canadian students because Canada to Dey carry GPA for head and US emphasize research and teaching experience.

You may not enjoy the result of doing a PhD in Canada if you are unable to secure academic jobs after your PhD. Canadian employers value experience more than education. When you enter Canada, you will see supervisors and managers with two year diploma and many years of experience.

As a fresh masters/PhD graduate, you will hear “you don’t have professional or Canadian experience a lot” from industry people. Some of it is because they are worried you are too educated and may downgrade their knowledge and ability. If your PhD supervisor have industry connection, you might be able to use that to get industry Job. Another option will be to be a global candidate and apply to jobs outside Canada. However, you may not be able to achieve a Canadian citizenship because of this.

Post doctoral positions in Canada is scarce and pay is around $45,000. A Bachelor of engineering or Art graduate with good job will likely earn around $50,000 if not more. I know a Nigerian PR who got a job over 70k without competing his masters in Canada. He got tried of school and decided to get a job. Many PhD graduate entering industry will be lucky if they get 65k after spending 4 years that can reach six years sometimes in school.

So what’s the solution:

Your best option/reward is academia. To enter academia or research industry, your biggest job during school is to build excellent research and teaching profile. Don’t be carried away by the grade competition you may come across in school. You should volunteer, take leadership positions, attend conferences and network there, publish papers, etc. Try to talk to your supervisor and newly appointed prof in your field to know and prepare for academic jobs before you graduate.

Also make sure you apply for PR as soon as possible. If you start your PhD as a PR, you will likely become a citizen before or around the time you graduate based on existing law. With this, you don’t have to stay in Canada but you will still be a Canadian.This is actually possible because I have mentored and mentoring others to do it. I am unable to take additional mentee because of the commitment involved.

To cut the story short, masters is the point of diminishing returns in Canada and most developed country. Except you are convinced that academia is what you want and you are ready to prepare and face the competition ahead of you, a PhD is not worth it. If all you want is better life in Canada as a Canadian and don’t enjoy research, you may want to transfer to a masters program or two year PGD course that interest you after your visa.

When myself and a couple of others from here left for Canada in 2017, we were eager to complete our masters and planned to do a PhD. Today, I can’t remember if any of us still want to do a PhD. Some of us have started working professionally, while others are praying for their miracle.

I’m sorry if my reply sounds gloomy. I have only advised you based on my experience in Canada and your story can definitely be brighter if you are well prepared for it. I hope you find your path no matter the circumstances.

All the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Goldmia: 11:30am On Jul 24, 2020
Please, Is it possible to have your medical test taken at IOM Lagos without booking a date?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 24, 2020
Goldmia:
Please, Is it possible to have your medical test taken at IOM Lagos without booking a date?
NO

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Tinocosta17(m): 11:35am On Jul 24, 2020
NairaLuck:

GBM

Wowo congratulations. The Same program with me.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by UBCcookies: 11:35am On Jul 24, 2020
Please how can I book an appointment for medicals at IOM ikeja, I got a medical request from IRCC.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Goldmia: 11:43am On Jul 24, 2020
Please, can anyone help out with any number that one can use to reach IOM Lagos. in order to book for a medical test. Currently, all the numbers displayed on their page are not reachable and they are yet to reply the email that was sent to them.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by nayo10(m): 11:45am On Jul 24, 2020
Chai, see people just dey get medicals o, God I dey wait my own turn too o

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 24, 2020
nayo10:
Amen cheesy
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by UBCcookies: 11:55am On Jul 24, 2020
Please how did you get the email? Help me with it
Goldmia:
Please, can anyone help out with any number that one can use to reach IOM Lagos. in order to book for a medical test. Currently, all the numbers displayed on their page are not reachable and they are yet to reply the email that was sent to them.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by librangyps(f): 11:56am On Jul 24, 2020
nayo10:

When did you apply?
I applied May 23rd... still waiting o

I suspect that it depends on the visa Officer handling each case and how fast they receive responses from the bodies confirming our documentation, eg banks, work places and scholarship bodies.

So much tension in the air...
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by nayo10(m): 11:58am On Jul 24, 2020
I applied on April 15 o

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by NairaLuck: 12:09pm On Jul 24, 2020
Tinocosta17:

Wowo congratulations. The Same program with me.
Great

Finally, found a course mate.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by fratermathy(m): 12:11pm On Jul 24, 2020
librangyps:

When did you apply?
I applied May 23rd... still waiting o

I suspect that it depends on the visa Officer handling each case and how fast they receive responses from the bodies confirming our documentation, eg banks, work places and scholarship bodies.

So much tension in the air...

I don't think those who applied after May 15th have received medical requests. I could be wrong but I am yet to see any. If there's anyone here, do well to indicate.

Secondly, how sure are you that they mail those bodies you've just mentioned? That would unnecessarily delay the process. I think they'll only mail them if there are noticeable inconsistencies in your application or if they're not sure of the authenticity of your documents. I doubt if it's the norm. However, I could be wrong.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Goldmia: 12:22pm On Jul 24, 2020
[quote author=UBCcookies post=92051445]Please how did you get the email? Help me with it

The Lagos email is iomlagosmedicalbooking@iom.int
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by UBCcookies: 12:26pm On Jul 24, 2020
I applied June 16th and I was sent medical request on Wednesday
fratermathy:

I don't think those who applied after May 15th have received medical requests. I could be wrong but I am yet to see any. If there's anyone here, do well to indicate.

Secondly, how sure are you that they mail those bodies you've just mentioned? That would unnecessarily delay the process. I think they'll only mail them if there are noticeable inconsistencies in your application or if they're not sure of the authenticity of your documents. I doubt if it's the norm. However, I could be wrong.

6 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by cuteesthy(f): 12:27pm On Jul 24, 2020
pls does it mean that people getting updates are only online applicants
hmm, I don comot my mind for fall term.
Paper applicants any update
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by jardel551(m): 12:28pm On Jul 24, 2020
[quote author=justwise post=88883946][/quote]
Hello nairalanders,I’m in need of your advice and God bless you as you do.

I got admission to a college in Ontario and paid first term tuition fee in full. My sister who lives and work is my sponsor,she’s a citizen and work in Uk as a nurse(she’s the one who paid my tuition as well.

The question is she’s my sponsor and I want to use her statement of account As sponsors statements of account but she doesn’t have money in her account at the moment that will stand as a substantial end balance but she have a steady means of income. The question is Can I go ahead in using her statement of account since her income is steady and can finance the cost of living and studying in Canada But at the moment she doesn’t have a substantial end balance. Can her steady income suffice for the end balance, using the adverse effect of covid-19 on her finances as a reason for not having liquid cash in her account.

Thank you all as I will really appreciate all advice
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by librangyps(f): 12:32pm On Jul 24, 2020
fratermathy:

Another moniker in the previous page or so, applied June 10th and already got medical request

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by smsalert1: 12:34pm On Jul 24, 2020
Luckymama:

They do not accept medical report from government hospitals. There are only two hospitals in Nigeria from which CIC accept medical.
The update on your profile is the standard update everyone has when your application is submitted.
Usually the last thing they check is your medical. By the time they are requesting you to go for medical that means they are ready to give you a visa.
So until they have checked everything else and decided to give you a visa they will now send you a letter to go for medicals. Until then your profile will continue to read “you do not need a medical exam.”
thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Goldmia: 12:34pm On Jul 24, 2020
Does anyone knows how good and fast IOM Abuja takes in sending medical test results to IRCC?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by smsalert1: 12:42pm On Jul 24, 2020
Tonyodg:

Okay they are currently checking if you meet the eligibility once you pass that, they would request for your medical
Hope for the best
thanks

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by fratermathy(m): 12:43pm On Jul 24, 2020
UBCcookies:

This is good to know. Can you share your profile?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by femzyacess: 12:44pm On Jul 24, 2020
UBCcookies:
Congrats @ UBCcookies

Please is this your first attempt? if not pls were you able to address all issues?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by jardel551(m): 12:47pm On Jul 24, 2020
[quote author=justwise post=88883946][/quote]

I got admission to a college in Ontario and paid first term tuition fee in full. My sister who lives and work is my sponsor,she’s a citizen and work in Uk as a nurse(she’s the one who paid my tuition as well.

The question is she’s my sponsor and I want to use her statement of account As sponsors statements of account but she doesn’t have money in her account at the moment that will stand as a substantial end balance but she have a steady means of income. The question is Can I go ahead in using her statement of account since her income is steady and can finance the cost of living and studying in Canada But at the moment she doesn’t have a substantial end balance. Can her steady income suffice for the end balance, using the adverse effect of covid-19 on her finances as a reason for not having liquid cash in her account.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by jardel551(m): 1:35pm On Jul 24, 2020

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Brownie1003: 1:40pm On Jul 24, 2020
Okay. I appreciate your response. Thanks

wendynuel:
Hello Brownie,

I think IRCC has modified its operations slightly based on its latest pronouncement on the two stage approval process for study permit.

Note: Biometrics still outstanding.

***It will be nice to hear from others as well***

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by UBCcookies: 1:53pm On Jul 24, 2020
This is my third time, I deferred to this fall and
took time to address the lapses
femzyacess:

Congrats @ UBCcookies

Please is this your first attempt? if not pls were you able to address all issues?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Taisonlee: 2:04pm On Jul 24, 2020
Hello nairalanders, I've been called for biometrics since may 11, yet vfs has been closed till further notice. I heard some people were sent email requesting medicals without being cleared at the biometric centre. How true is that pla
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by femzyacess: 2:09pm On Jul 24, 2020
UBCcookies:
This is my third time, I deferred to this fall and
took time to address the lapses
Amazing.. congrats in advance....

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (723)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.