Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,071 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? (1492 Views)

Ifayemi Elebuibon Hosts Witches And Wizards In Osun / Man Writes Abuja 'Witches And Wizards' A Warning Letter (Photo) / Gathering Of Witches After They Failed To Fly Home In Edo Statewide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 4:14pm On Apr 27, 2020
FESTAC was the major black arts festival held in Lagos Nigeria from 15 January 1977 to 12 February 1977

In 1977 there was a huge festival hosted in Nigeria, this was the Second world Black and African Festival of Arts and Culture (FESTAC). This festival was bigger than the First festival which held in Dakar , Senegal as most of the African countries as at 1977 had gained independence from colonial control.

The month-long event celebrated African culture and showcased to the world African music, fine art, literature, drama, dance and religion. About 16,000 participants, representing 56 African nations and countries of the African Diaspora, performed at the event.

I have heard many people, especially religious folks tagging the African event to occultism and Black Magic. How true is this my fellow Nlanders??

1 Like

Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by Amotolongbo(f): 4:26pm On Apr 27, 2020
It was a festival to celebrate our culture and heritage.

It could also feature the occults and black magic. These are still our heritage. Of course the other continents have their own occults and magic.
Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by Faponmile(m): 4:29pm On Apr 27, 2020
And the Hajj and Jerusalem wey dem dey go every year na wetin? It's high time Africans learn to believe in themselves and stop feeling inferior. We can't contribute anything meaningful to the world because we have neglected our ancestors. Meanwhile we cry to ancestors that are not related to us.
Maths is taught to Germans in their language. Ditto Japanese, Iranians, Indians, Americans, Saudis, Europeans, & etc...
We must wake up.

7 Likes

Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by Amotolongbo(f): 4:30pm On Apr 27, 2020
Faponmile:
And the Hajj and Jerusalem wey dem dey go every year na wetin? It's high time Africans learn to believe in themselves and stop feeling inferior. We can't contribute anything meaningful to the world because we have neglected our ancestors. Meanwhile we cry to ancestors that are not related to us.
Maths is taught to Germans in their language. Ditto Japanese, Iranians, Indians, Americans, Saudis, Europeans, & etc...
We must wake up.
We aren’t so much physically enslaved again, we are willfully mentally enslaved

4 Likes

Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by sapientia(m): 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2020
So African arts and culture is witchcraft?

1 Like

Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2020
Amotolongbo:
It was a festival to celebrate our culture and heritage.

It could also feature the occults and black magic. These are still our heritage. Of course the other continents have their own occults and magic.

Hmmm
I agree with u on this.
Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 27, 2020
I don't how many nairalanders you'll find that have been around since 1977
Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 27, 2020
It's a myth that is usually reflective of the idea that 'we enjoyed before 1977, after things went bad'

If so, it really took some time for things to get bad. The economy was in a good state till the oil price crash of 1982. (Times were especially good in 1979-81.).

The problem with Nigeria was that even then, we weren't a producing economy. We relied on oil and agric exports, and used the revenue to import. Industries were better then, but they were heavily reliant on imported raw materials and crucially they did not export any thing, but produced for the home market.

Meanwhile, agriculture was on the decline...especially with the rise of oil, the fact that agriculture was mostly based on subsistence farmers, not mechanized...and the removal of the old marketing board system, which made things worse.

By the time oil crashed in 1982 October, the long economic night of the 1980's and 90's had begun.

The truth is, Nigeria needs to be an industrial nation, not a resource dependent nation. That's how Japan went from being broke to being powerful, and last i checked, that country has more occultic shrines than Nigeria does.

No food for lazy man, religion or otherwise. Even the bible says 'The slacker craves, yet gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is fully satisfied.' (Proverbs 13 vs 4). We are a nation of leeches. That is why we are always living like poor people....we spend more than we earn , and we don't produce anything.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by illicit(m): 6:01pm On Apr 27, 2020
We always value anything foreign than African

1 Like

Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 6:38pm On Apr 27, 2020
kikero:
It's a myth that is usually reflective of the idea that 'we enjoyed before 1977, after things went bad'

If so, it really took some time for things to get bad. The economy was in a good state till the oil price crash of 1982. (Times were especially good in 1979-81.).

The problem with Nigeria was that even then, we weren't a producing economy. We relied on oil and agric exports, and used the revenue to import. Industries were better then, but they were heavily reliant on imported raw materials and crucially they did not export any thing, but produced for the home market.

Meanwhile, agriculture was on the decline...especially with the rise of oil, the fact that agriculture was mostly based on subsistence farmers, not mechanized...and the removal of the old marketing board system, which made things worse.

By the time oil crashed in 1982 October, the long economic night of the 1980's and 90's had begun.

The truth is, Nigeria needs to be an industrial nation, not a resource dependent nation. That's how Japan went from being broke to being powerful, and last i checked, that country has more occultic shrines than Nigeria does.

No food for lazy man, religion or otherwise. Even the bible says 'The slacker craves, yet gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is fully satisfied.' (Proverbs 13 vs 4). We are a nation of leeches. That is why we are always living like poor people....we spend more than we earn , and we don't produce anything.

Valid points u raised. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by olu77(m): 7:38am On May 01, 2020
Tadeknkeepcalm:
I don't how many nairalanders you'll find that have been around since 1977
You must assumed everyone on Nairaland is a kid like you.
Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by Nobody: 7:42am On May 01, 2020
olu77:
You must assumed everyone on Nairaland is a kid like you.
So when through my entire posts to get one comeback. Oga no vex. I no know say e go pain you like that. Don't waste your data
Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by olu77(m): 7:50am On May 01, 2020
Tadeknkeepcalm:

So when through my entire posts to get one comeback. Oga no vex. I no know say e go pain you like that. Don't waste your data

I don't buy data of 100 naira like you whether I waste it or not I will still pay about 35k for it monthly so it does not matter. I like to get to know why someone I do not know will attack me so yes I went through some of your comments to see who you are.
Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by Nobody: 7:53am On May 01, 2020
olu77:

I don't buy data of 100 naira like you whether I waste it or not I will still pay about 35k for it monthly so it does not matter. I like to get to know why someone I do not know will attack me so yes I went through some of your comments to see who you are.
grin grin ok o. Thanks for letting us know. But what else do you want from sorry now

PS: I didn't attack. You're just so insecure that's why you read it as an attack.
Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by olu77(m): 7:56am On May 01, 2020
Tadeknkeepcalm:

grin grin ok o. Thanks for letting us know. But what else do you want from sorry now

PS: I didn't attack. You're just so insecure that's why you read it as an attack.

Ok. I am insecure, no problem. I am sure you believe you can say who someone is just because you met them on Nairaland.
Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by LordShiva97(m): 12:15am On May 07, 2020
Everything about African traditional religion and worship is regarded as black magic and witchcraft by the misguided adherents of Abrahamic faiths. And anyone who's still stuck to the ways of the old are witches and wizard.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was FESTAC 77 The Gathering Of Witches And Wizards?? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 6:22pm On May 17, 2020
LordShiva97:
Everything about African traditional religion and worship is regarded as black magic and witchcraft by the misguided adherents of Abrahamic faiths. And anyone who's still stuck to the ways of the old are witches and wizard.

You are absolutely right bro.

(1) (Reply)

5 Most Dangerous Pastors In The World And Their Bizarre Miracles / Bishop David Oyedepo Burns In Hell Alongside Prophet TB Joshua And Bishop Benson / There's No Place In The Bible That God Asked You Not To Defend Yourself-Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.