Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead (6005 Views)

– Man Who Shot South African Lucky Dube Says He Thought He Was A Nigerian. / Russian Judge Fired For Falling Asleep In Court / Tsunami Alert Issued For 5 More Countries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 10:50pm On Jan 08, 2011
She's a democrat; at a public meeting/appearance in Tuscon Arizona.

AP via Yahoo News:
http://news.yahoo.com/
TUCSON, Ariz. – Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot in the head Saturday when an assailant opened fire outside a grocery store during a meeting with constituents, killing a 9-year-old boy and a federal judge and wounding several others in a rampage that rattled the nation.

Giffords was among at least 10 people wounded, and the hospital said her outlook was "optimistic" and that she was responding to commands from doctors. The hospital said a 9-year-old child was among the killed, and a U.S. Marshal said a federal judge was also fatally shot in the attack.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by tpia1: 12:27am On Jan 09, 2011
lord have mercy shocked
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 1:32am On Jan 09, 2011
Summary:
-She was elected in 2006, so this new session is her 3rd term;
-The re-election was close; a tough race, and she actively moved to the right to appeal to conservatives in order to win;
-Arizona is the state where they passed the restrictive law against immigrants;
-Some are already playing politics, saying it was the anti-liberal and anti-Obama rhetoric and the divisive racially charged politics in Arizona that is the cause, and that this is the culmination;
-The shooter is a 22-year old
-Married to an astronaut, former Naval officer

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us/politics/09giffords.html

And in August 2009, when there were demonstrations against the health care measure across the nation, a protester who showed up to meet Ms. Giffords at a supermarket event similar to Saturday’s was removed by the police when the pistol he had holstered under his armpit fell and bounced on the floor.

During the fall campaign, Sarah Palin, the former Republican vice-presidential candidate, posted a controversial map on her Facebook page depicting spots where Democrats were running for re-election; those Democrats were noted by crosshairs symbols like those seen through the scope of a gun. Ms. Giffords was among those on Ms. Palin’s map, which later removed the crosshairs symbols.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 1:34am On Jan 09, 2011
Tpia,
How you dey? smiley

I'm checking out the coverage so far. Not much being said about the judge, yet.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by tpia1: 1:40am On Jan 09, 2011
^^i dey here dey look some nlers oh.

so far, the incident doesnt seem to have any links to the immigration debate, since the shooter's name isnt foreign.

i stand corrected if wrong?

And in August 2009, when there were demonstrations against the health care measure across the nation, a protester who showed up to meet Ms. Giffords at a supermarket event similar to Saturday’s was removed by the police when the pistol he had holstered under his armpit fell and bounced on the floor.

hmm

it doesnt really mean he intended to use it?

or maybe he did.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by preselect(m): 1:43am On Jan 09, 2011
The congresswoman was in Sarah Palin's crosshairs list of democrats to be 'targeted' after 'reloading', For voting for healthcare reform. Her office was vandalized after the healthcare vote. now that foolish palin has modified her website.

These people just talk nonsense without realizing the consequences, love of guns. Reload. Etc. The poor woman is fighting for her life now. A judge is dead. A 9 year old is dead, six people are dead due to some lunatic.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 1:49am On Jan 09, 2011
I can't hold anyone responsible other than the misguided shooter.

But Tpia, you know American politics, they always want to put their opponents on the defensive right away - they define events before someone else has had a chance to do it. Pre-emptive strikes all the time.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 1:52am On Jan 09, 2011
pres-elect:

These people just talk nonsense without realizing the consequences, love of guns. Reload. Etc. The poor woman is fighting for her life now. A judge is dead. A 9 year old is dead, six people are dead due to some lunatic.

They do love their guns!
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 1:55am On Jan 09, 2011
tpia1:

^^i dey here dey look some nlers oh.

Wetin Nlers dey do?  Make I come see, right. cheesy

edited to add: Oh, I think I see what you were talking about. Eeeewwww. And I used to think Politics section is where all the fighting is!
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by spikedcylinder: 2:08am On Jan 09, 2011
Jared Loughner is in so much trouble right now.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 2:32am On Jan 09, 2011
Press conference going on:

"5 killed on the scene. . . 1 died at the hospital."

Personally, I'm glad that racist publicity seeking Arizano Sheriff (of Maricopa County) Arpaio is no where to be seen.  I hate that guy!!!  He loves the camera so frigging much.

The sheriff giving the press conference is Sheriff Dupnik of Pima County, Arizona.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 2:41am On Jan 09, 2011
Press conference cont.

A bullet in the brain involves very delicate surgery.  Former U.S. Surgeon General serving as Giffords family spokesman doesn't appear too optimistic about prognosis . . . critical condition.

News analyst summarizing: They think shooter may have had help . . .person of interest.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by tpia1: 3:19am On Jan 09, 2011
hmm

In 2008, Giffords introduced legislation that would have increased the cap on the H-1B visa from 65,000 per year to 130,000 per year.[42] If that were not sufficient, according to her legislation, the cap would have been increased to 180,000 per year.[43] The bill would have allowed, at most, 50% of employees at any given company with at least 50 employees to be H-1B guest workers.[44] A large number of H-1B visas are used by outsourcing companies, as five of the top ten users of the visa are regularly outsourcing corporations.[45] Giffords claimed the bill would help high-tech companies in southern Arizona, some of which rely on H1-B employees.[44] Giffords' bill was never voted on by the House of Representatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Giffords#Immigration_and_border_security

surprising, coming from arizona.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by tpia1: 3:39am On Jan 09, 2011
she has a very interesting website:

Extending four immigration provisions

I introduced legislation to extend the following four immigration provisions:

•E-Verify – extends E-Verify for five years (same language as the Congresswoman’s Employee Verification Amendment Act).
•Religious workers – there is a nonimmigrant visa category "R" for individuals seeking to enter the United States to work in a religious capacity on a temporary basis.  The provision was extended last Congress by the Religious Worker Visa Extension Act, which passed by voice vote.  This would extend the provision through September 30, 2014.
•Rural doctors – nonimmigrant visa for international medical graduates to come to the United States under an educational exchange program for up to seven years. This would extend the provision through September. 30, 2014.
•EB-5 Regional Center Pilot Program – sets aside 3,000 visas annually through FY 2014 for visas that allow the applicant to earn permanent residency (green card) via an investment of $1 million (or $500,000 if certain criteria are met — i.e., high unemployment area) and creation of 10 new full time jobs.
•Status: The FY 2010 DHS Appropriations bill extended E-Verify for three years, and these other three programs were extended through FY 2014.

http://giffords.house.gov/legis/immigration.shtml

on the Arizona Boycotts:

http://giffords.house.gov/boycotts.shtml

Following the passage of Arizona’s S.B. 1070, sports teams, musicians, private companies and even government entities have instituted boycotts against our state.  I don’t agree with these boycotts, and I find it especially troubling when the federal government becomes involved in a boycott against our state.  That kind of action only adds to the frustration our community feels over illegal immigration.

I am doing everything I can to send a strong message to those who wish to boycott Arizona—their discontent with S.B. 1070 is misdirected. These boycotts will not affect lawmakers in Phoenix, and they will only hurt hard-working people who are struggling in these tough economic times. I have sent letters to over 42 cities and organizations, including the Major League Baseball Players Association and the cities of El Paso and Austin, urging them to end their boycott of Arizona in protest of S.B. 1070.

My concern is that this boycott will only punish hard working Arizonans and the businesses that employ them. This belief is supported by the U.S. Travel Association, which called for an end to the Arizona boycotts and urged federal policymakers to address immigration on a national level.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 3:57am On Jan 09, 2011
Keith Olberman (MSNBC) can be such a blowhard, I swear. shocked I can take only so much of him. But he is totally in his element, putting the "right-wingers" on the defensive. He just mentioned O'Reilly by name. Crazy Irishman will be out for blood come Monday.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 3:58am On Jan 09, 2011
Teacher, do I have to read all that? tongue

I mean, will it be on the exam? Please make una make am open book O.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by preselect(m): 5:07am On Jan 09, 2011
isale_gan2:

I can't hold anyone responsible other than the misguided shooter.

obviously the shooter is responsible for this mess. That's why he's been arrested. But the toxic vibe that comes from the right cannot be ignored.

Crosshairs(the woman took down the crosshairs from her website today)
reload
2nd ammendment remedies if we can't win by the ballot

remember those statements. You cannot water hatred on hate fertile ground and think there won't ne consequences. Why did palin take out the hit list crosshairs from her website today? Rep gifford's name was there.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 5:39am On Jan 09, 2011
That wasn't a criticism directed at you.  No worries,

Here are some readers comments from a reputable newspaper.  Just goes to show you, during time of crises, no society is immune from overreaction.

In a way, we have all been shot in the head. This country is dying.

We either change this country for the better of all people, or we will have civil war very soon.

Whenever something like this happens, I become concerned about the future of the United States. Are these kinds of of violence isolated incidents perpetuated by some crazy individual? Or are they symptoms of the end of democratic institutions?

Why is there such an alarm of this sort of incident happening in this country?

It's mourning in America.

http://community.nytimes.com/comments/thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/live-blog-representative-giffords-shot/?sort=oldest
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by tpia1: 6:01am On Jan 09, 2011
seriously, it's getting worrying.

people normally have a gloomy outlook even at the best of times, but one has to wonder if the predictions are going to be justified now.

i'm sure the US has pulled through worse but things arent looking good now however.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by montelik(m): 8:22am On Jan 09, 2011
Before anyone does a President Obama (remember Henry Gates in Massachusetts) and comments or condemns before all d facts come in. Why not just let d law enforcement officials do their job and investigate before people start jumping to conclusions. Instead pray for the injured and dead. Hope the congress woman pulls through, being shot in the head at point blank range, its a miracle she still made it.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by tpia1: 8:25am On Jan 09, 2011
Tragedy's impact extends to space

Alan Boyle writes:Today's Arizona shooting is likely to have reverberations that extend beyond Earth, for personal as well as political reasons.

NASA astronaut Mark Kelly is the husband of one of the victims, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., and flew from Houston in the wake of the shooting to be at his wounded wife's side.

Kelly is currently in training to command the shuttle Endeavour's crew on a flight to the International Space Station in April. Endeavour is to bring up a $1.5 billion international physics experiment called the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer, and as of now it would be the final mission of the 30-year space shuttle program. Congress has authorized another shuttle mission this summer on Atlantis, but the funding has not yet been set aside for that flight.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/08/5793827-tragedys-impact-extends-to-space
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by tpia1: 8:27am On Jan 09, 2011
montelik:

Before anyone does a President Obama (remember Henry Gates in Massachusetts) and comments or condemns before all d facts come in. Why not just let d law enforcement officials do their job and investigate before people start jumping to conclusions. Instead pray for injured and dead.

you people should stop stifling free speech.

this is getting creepy.

are you a nigerian?

the suspect has already been named, so what's your point.

if you feel it's dangerous to discuss what happened and/or the history of the people and events concerned, then say so without beating around the bush or sounding fake and sanctimonious.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by tpia1: 8:54am On Jan 09, 2011
House suspends vote on health care repeal

WASHINGTON – The House of Representatives is postponing a vote on repealing the recently enacted health care law because of the shooting spree in Tucson, Ariz. that killed a federal judge and wounded Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said all legislative action "is being postponed so that we can take whatever actions may be necessary in light of today's tragedy."

The House was scheduled to vote Wednesday on repealing the massive health care law. Republicans took control of the House last week after taking away 63 seats from Democrats in midterm elections in which the new law was a key issue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110109/ap_on_re_us/us_shootings_congress_suspended
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by preselect(m): 3:29pm On Jan 09, 2011
I hope Sarah palin is happy now. She has taken out her hit list from her website. "take down the govt",
mind control" I hope the tea party, Glenn beck etc are happy. When democratic congressmen and women, including congresswoman gifford, had thier offices vandalized after the healthcare vote, people raised alarm over the vitriol coming from the right wing nut jobs. Fox waved it aside. Last yr when tea party candidate Sharon angle of Nevada spoke of 2nd ammendment remedies if they can't win by the ballot, the right wing swept it under the carpet.

Today, while all the networks are sorrowfully talking about this tragedy, fox news is making a frantic effort to establish the woman as anti-pelosi blue dog democrat. They are repeating that over and over again and again. They won't mention her office was vandalized by right wing nut jobs last yr or that she was on Sarah Palin's hit list.
Montelik can paint whatever picture he wants but the vitriol from the right is gaining practical ground. But remember, in a country where gins are legal and anger is high, nobody can lay claim to a monopoly of violence.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 3:56pm On Jan 09, 2011
Pres_Elect,
Do you hold the other side responsible for her death then?  What if the boy was just a nutjob?

Sorry, I can't abide the dregs at Fox News.  What are they saying?   That Giffords is a blue-dog democrat?  From what I also read, she did drastically change her liberal-moderate stance on some issues to get re-elected.  And she wasn't above sacrificing Speaker Pelosi in the process.  I've been a huge fan of Nancy Pelosi for ever and a day, so maybe I'm biased.

What's the latest on her condition?  Why in the world did that judge make a detour to the event?  He'd be alive now.  So many questions! 

Sorry for everyone.

P.S. There is no amount of criticism that can be thrown at that hideous Glen Becks that will get my sympathy though. The man is an utter disgrace.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by preselect(m): 5:30pm On Jan 09, 2011
The boy was obviously a nutjob. I don't hold the other side responsible for the killings but let us not pretend that there is no political undertone for this. This is a woman who narrowly defeated a tea party candidate in a district on Sarah Palins crosshairs hit list in a very heated election. The boys Internet postings show that he is a nutjob. When a nutjob talks of govt like govt is an enemy that must be stopped, mind control etc these are tea party Glenn beck talking points.

Remember Timothy mcveigh? He was another nutjob rejected by the green berrets, he took it out on some enemy called govt. Killing people. The vitriol that comes from the right is toxic. I'm not saying Glenn beck sent him to shoot people, but the vitriol the right spews out cannot be ignored.

The police say the judge is a personal friend of the congresswoman and he just came around to say hello. Tough luck.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by montelik(m): 6:24pm On Jan 09, 2011
@ pres. Please before you have to back pedal any further. Stop pointing d finger until d police at least investigate. It really sad that so many peoples reaction to this has been to drag politics and ideology into the matter, before we have even had a chance to investigate. Christ, please just wait until they investigate and conclude, then you can finger point to your hearts content.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by blackmann(m): 6:34pm On Jan 09, 2011
Just finished watching the press briefing. Doctors are optimistic she will make a recovery. From what was said, she was operated on within 38 minutes of being brought in and within one hour of the shooting. Unfortunately the little kid and the judge didn't make it.

Which brings me to the question - do you think we have such facilities back home for such iincidents? I'm not being pessimistic or anything, but if someone is shot in the head back home, do you think there will be such rapid response?
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by montelik(m): 6:56pm On Jan 09, 2011
^^ Sadly no. After all, simple internal bleeding killed DaGrin.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by preselect(m): 7:16pm On Jan 09, 2011
@blackmann,
if you are shot in the head in naija you are dead. Nigerian law states that bf a bullet wound is treated the doctor must get clearance from the police. You tell me how long that will take. For the sake of peace let us not even go into the state of our health facilities.

@montelik,
read my post again. I'm not saying the right wing talk shows sent this nutjob. All I'm saying is what the sheriff of that county had said. He said we (Americans) must do a soul searching with regards to his vitriol I'm talking about. He said it may be free speech but it's not without consequences. He even called arizona the Mecca of this kind of hhate filled political rhetoric.

So I'm just echoing the sheriff. Okay? You guys can bury your heads in the sand and live on denial ( like those who keep claiming that he civil war wasn't about slavery) truth is immutable.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 7:23pm On Jan 09, 2011
FBI Director Mueller is doing his shtick now.

So the dead are:
1) The federal judge, John Roll, the Chief Judge of US District Court in Arizona;
2) The 9-yr-old, Christina Taylor Green;
3) The Congresswoman's aide, 30-yr old Mr. Gabriel Zimmerman;
Who are other 3?

edited: Jan 10:

4) 76-yr old Dorothy Morris, lifelong republican who attended event with her husband who was also shot;
5) 76-yr old Dorwan Stoddard who attended event with his wife who was wounded;
6) 79-yr old widowed great-grandmother, Phyllis Schneck.
Re: Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead by isalegan2: 7:33pm On Jan 09, 2011
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/live-blog-latest-developments-on-arizona-shooting/?hp

Roxanna Green, the mother of the nine-year-old girl who was killed in the Arizona shootings, said she was called by a friend to say that she should get to the hospital quickly on Saturday.

"We just all rushed over there," Ms. Green said on Fox News (see video below). "They told us the bad news, that she had a bullet hole through the chest. They tried to save her but she just couldn't make it. I saw her right after that. I spent a lot of time with her and said goodbye to her."

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers / Whoopi Goldberg Walks Out Crying After Confronting Elon Musk On 'The View’ / Donald Trump Beg Americans To Turn Back To God As He Takes The Lead [pohotos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.