Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures (104407 Views)

Traditional Edo Wedding Or Introduction / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by TheLastNazgul(m): 6:12pm On Nov 27, 2013
lynpetra: Was ologbosere the same person that was betrayed and captured just by shooting on his shadows?
No. That's Asoro.
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 27, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: No. That's Asoro.
tell me about him,if u can please.
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by TheLastNazgul(m): 6:17pm On Nov 27, 2013
azezola: You forgot to add ashewo too, them dey plenty for Italy go add their fotos.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to
speak out and remove all doubt.

6 Likes

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Deiok(m): 6:18pm On Nov 27, 2013
lynpetra: Was ologbosere the same person that was betrayed and captured just by shooting on his shadows?
you question is not that clear.
Ologbosere was one of the persons that tried to stop the british from seeing the Oba, but the acts turns violent, which result into the killing of the british by benin's.
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 27, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to
speak out and remove all doubt.
*faints* grin classic!!
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 27, 2013
Deiok: you question is not that clear.
Ologbosere was one of the persons that tried to stop the british from seeing the Oba, but the acts turns violent, which result into the killing of the british by benin's.

Yea,but there is another Benin warrior I read sometime ago that is impenetrable by bullets....the only way to kill him was to shoot at his shadow....I think he was betrayed...can't remember...
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by TheLastNazgul(m): 6:25pm On Nov 27, 2013
lynpetra: tell me about him,if u can please.
. I really don't know much. Hope this helps
Asoro was swordbearer to the King and a General in the army. Legend has it that he led a charmed life , was 'immortal' as the only way he could be killed was by shooting or harming his shadow. He was also a formidable foe of the British since he 'couldn't' be killed. Long story short, luck ran out on him, as the secret of his immortality was leaked to the British and he was killed soon shortly after.
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 27, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: . I really don't know much. Hope this helps
Asoro was swordbearer to the King and a General in the army. Legend has it that he led a charmed life , was 'immortal' as the only way he could be killed was by shooting or harming his shadow. He was also a formidable foe of the British since he 'couldn't' be killed. Long story short, luck ran out on him, as the secret of his immortality was leaked to the British and he was killed soon shortly after.
Was it the oba dat leaked the secret??Cos I think it was revealed by a power holder

Am trying so very hard to remember his last words..
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 27, 2013
PhysicsHD:

Proud ishan boy like me. I rep teamubiaja. if you have any biological affiliation to ishan just holla

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Ojeremi(m): 6:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
Me too I belong in my little way,

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by ladygogo: 7:01pm On Nov 27, 2013
what a rich culture?!. I love.
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Deiok(m): 7:40pm On Nov 27, 2013
lynpetra:

Yea,but there is another Benin warrior I read sometime ago that is impenetrable by bullets....the only way to kill him was to shoot at his shadow....I think he was betrayed...can't remember...
Yeah that was Asoro. What i read about him in some books, say's that he was indestructible by weapons like, gun, arrow, and cutlass. When the white soldiers saw that he was almost about to destroy them all, they begin to hit him hard with thier guns barrel, untill he was too weak to fight, then they continue to hit him with heavey tools on the head, untill he gave up the ghost. They then Baried him and mark the spot by putting guns on it. But before he was killed, he has already killed scores of the british soldiers
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:00pm On Nov 27, 2013
The Gods Bless THe Oba of Benin.
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by waverly12: 8:57pm On Nov 27, 2013
PhysicsMHD:

From my experience, most Edos don't wear traditional clothes much except for special occasions. That's why I don't have many of the pictures of everyday people you're requesting. If you can find any, feel free to post them. I have a few more I will post but most of them are not everyday people.

Yea, u probabli wuldnt find any...its meant 4 special occassions. Festivals, weddings...
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by MANOSUB(m): 9:25pm On Nov 27, 2013
fehintywealth: Hi, ve join dis orum for a long time bt dis is my 1st time of writing becos, i dont really no how to go abt it..... Pls he do I send in my topics and commments most especially...hw do i view the recent topics........ND PLS WHO KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET SUM1 DAT DRESSES BRIDES'S IN EDO ATTIRE IN LAGOS...THANKS
I would love to give a cotact but i cant give out my details here
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by MANOSUB(m): 9:36pm On Nov 27, 2013
lynpetra:

I think you are talking about ARUAN

1 Like

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by MANOSUB(m): 9:41pm On Nov 27, 2013
Interesting trend indeed. I love the Edos
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by wisdomwiseman(m): 9:57pm On Nov 27, 2013
cheesy cheesy....it makes sense
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 27, 2013
[quote author=MANOSUBI think you are talking about ARUAN[/quote]

Never heard of this one ooo.
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by chiogoezubem(f): 10:41pm On Nov 27, 2013
Wow! Did anybody here read the play OVONRANMWEN NOGBAISI? You know, it's one thing to read a book and it's another thing, a different feeling actually, to know that it actually happened. And with pictures to buttress it... I enjoyed that historical piece

1 Like

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by jbrodaly(m): 11:05pm On Nov 27, 2013
chiogoezubem:
Wow! Did anybody here read the play OVONRANMWEN NOGBAISI? You know, it's one thing to read a book and it's another thing, a different feeling actually, to know that it actually happened. And with pictures to buttress it... I enjoyed that historical piece
By Ola Rotimi,right?I have been looking for that book and all i get is that it is no longer in print!
I heard it is a good boook.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Deiok(m): 11:17pm On Nov 27, 2013
[quote author=lynpetra][/quote]

gringringrin
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by obi123: 11:31pm On Nov 27, 2013
lynpetra: *faints* grin classic!!

as in the isho wole die
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 12:19am On Nov 28, 2013
Deiok:

gringringrin
why yu laffing? smiley
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 28, 2013
obi123:

as in the isho wole die
If na me dem tell that one,I go just carry robe enter bush grin
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by mydi(f): 12:26am On Nov 28, 2013
MANOSUB:
I think you are talking about ARUAN
no its not Aruan its Asoro, Asoro was betrayed by his wife, she told them the secret of his power was his shadow. Aruan was the supposed senior brother of oba eweka, he was born in the morning same day with oba eweka d first but he didn't cry and eweka was born in the evening. The people told the then oba abt d birth of eweka first b4 dat of aruan cos they thought he will die and d oba recognised eweka as the first son. Aruan felt he had been cheated as the heir τ̅☺ the throne. He was a giant though and usually uprooted palm trees τ̅☺ sweep his father compound. He was made the oba of udo( a small town in edo state) but he felt he deserved benin. After the death of their father, they were quarrels btw d brothers on who was τ̅☺ rule benin. A decision was made by the elders that whosoever buried the oba was τ̅☺ be made heir τ̅☺ the throne. On the day of d oba burial, he was placed in a tattered coffin,and another coffin beautifully made was also presented. When the oba procession passed aruan, he choosed the nicely made coffin cos he felt the oba could not be put in d oda one and eweka picked d tattered one, τ̅☺ aruan surprise he was wrong cos his coffin was filled with stones. Out of anger and frustration, he ran and dived into a river in udo and his brother became king. Rumors has it that until a few years back he was heard in the river especially during igue festival period. Hope ℓ̊ could help smiley

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 12:36am On Nov 28, 2013
mydi: no its not Aruan its Asoro, Asoro was betrayed by his wife, she told them the secret of his power was his shadow. Aruan was the supposed senior brother of oba eweka, he was born in the morning same day with oba eweka d first but he didn't cry and eweka was born in the evening. The people told the then oba abt d birth of eweka first b4 dat of aruan cos they thought he will die and d oba recognised eweka as the first son. Aruan felt he had been cheated as the heir τ̅☺ the throne. He was a giant though and usually uprooted palm trees τ̅☺ sweep his father compound. He was made the oba of udo( a small town in edo state) but he felt he deserved benin. After the death of their father, they were quarrels btw d brothers on who was τ̅☺ rule benin. A decision was made by the elders that whosoever buried the oba was τ̅☺ be made heir τ̅☺ the throne. On the day of d oba burial, he was placed in a tattered coffin,and another coffin beautifully made was also presented. When the oba procession passed aruan, he choosed the nicely made coffin cos he felt the oba could not be put in d oda one and eweka picked d tattered one, τ̅☺ aruan surprise he was wrong cos his coffin was filled with stones. Out of anger and frustration, he ran and dived into a river in udo and his brother became king. Rumors has it that until a few years back he was heard in the river especially during igue festival period. Hope ℓ̊ could help smiley
My sister you just opened my memories.Yes that .was exactltu what read!Aruan they say was always heard mostly early in tge morning by those who go to js stream.Heard also that river has swalloweda lot of travellers and buses.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by StellaBella(f): 1:57am On Nov 28, 2013
Interesting thread.

Proudly Benin!
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by maxiflexi(f): 7:20am On Nov 28, 2013
Proudly bini.
I think someone should start a thread on Benin folklore/folklore in general. There are so many stories I heard growing up, true life stories & fiction, I can't remember most of them.
For example Idia, Emotan, Imaguero, Ahruan & Esigie, Ewuare, Ewere etc.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Deiok(m): 7:51am On Nov 28, 2013
maxiflexi: Proudly bini.
I think someone should start a thread on Benin folklore/folklore in general. There are so many stories I heard growing up, true life stories & fiction, I can't remember most of them.
For example Idia, Emotan, Imaguero, Ahruan & Esigie, Ewuare, Ewere etc.
the are all true story, except some with fiction element in it.
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by Deiok(m): 8:02am On Nov 28, 2013
lynpetra: My sister you just opened my memories.Yes that .was exactltu what read!Aruan they say was always heard mostly early in tge morning by those who go to js stream.Heard also that river has swalloweda lot of travellers and buses.
erm miss what tribe are you?
Re: Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures by efe22(m): 8:28am On Nov 28, 2013
Deiok:
the are all true story, except some with fiction element in it.
Yeah that's correct. Let me remember one book... ok Robert Hook there is a topic there titled 'The city of blood' is talking about the Great Benin Kingdom. I stand to be corrected.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Words From The Epie Language Of Yenagoa. / Babalorisa Paulo: Most Sophisticated Babalawo In The World (Photos) / Urhobo Waado.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.