Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? (11651 Views)

Do You Have A Dog For Adoption / Inside A Dog Meat Factory: Shocking Photos Reveal How Dogs Are Chained Up(pics) / What Can I Be Feeding My GSD For Proper Growth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Rabbitcartel: 2:12pm On Apr 29, 2020
treasurevee9:

Hope you know the spices used in preparing human food is not good for dogs.

People over exaggerate these things... if I should tell u the history of my family dogs you won't bother reading articles about dogs, to summerise my first petdog stayed with us for 5years before my dad sold her out when we had to relocate in 1995, my dad didn't even know d dos n dont of dogs, I was a kid back then, that dog thrived on leftovers from one of our top hotels cus my mum was a chef there.. a gsd.. d only meds he took was 1tab of ferrus, bco, and multivite (d human pills ooh) my dad would mix it in her food 3ce a week n she never for once fell sick, no b ekuke ooh, better gsd..in 2006 we got another dog but it died a year later because we were nt aware chocolate are poisonous for dogs.. see bros, other than chocolate, onions, n coffee whatelse would u say is bad for dem? A lot of what we humans consume is bad for us.. dogs no get problem at all..

1 Like

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Godfirst01(m): 2:29pm On Apr 29, 2020
Rabbitcartel:
Op.. most of these people saying u can't either spend excessively on their dogs, or they dont even own one.. a fully grown guard dog can live healthy on a 10k-15k budget a month, it's not until u waste money on over priced dog foods.. this is something I've learnt being a livestock producer, it's not about the brand of feed but it's composition, u can get mixed noodles at the rate of 300-350 per kilo 10kilos =3500, budget another 3500 for other foods bcoa you'll need to give him something z differen every now ans then, dats 7k weh go still enter d next month, budjet d remaining 8k for medications which u might not need.. most kennels have their recipes, most vets use crushed noodles, all des foreign foods are being used by pple that own dogs as pets or security, the pple they bought those dogs from make use of local recipie.. I know of a guy with a massive Caucasian, and a rot/gsd mix.. he got them as pup and na leftovers weh he dey feed dem everyday since puppy ooh, leftover from a booker in his street he pays 500naira a week and he gets more than enough food for 3 massive dogs on a daily bases.. ignore what thos pple saying u can't are talking about.. they didnt even ask what u have to budget for d dog dem just dey shout u cant, d major concern is parvovirus, juat save up like 15k for that just incase.. otherwise ur good

I agreed with your suggestion but budgeting 15k for parvo treatment is a big NO. I'm still treating my puppy who had parvo and I have spent over 50,000 now . No standard vet will collect 15k for parvovirus treatment.
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Rabbitcartel: 2:48pm On Apr 29, 2020
Godfirst01:

I agreed with your suggestion but budgeting 15k for parvo treatment is a big NO. I'm still treating my puppy who had parvo and I have spent over 50,000 now . No standard vet will collect 15k for parvovirus treatment.

Either ur vet lives in mango street inside banana island or ur dog na rare breed like husky weh ur vet know say no get choice.. my only parvo experience was in 2017, it was a friend that helped me cure it, d guy I bought d pup from, he wasn't responsible for d virus though as d dog was with me for about a month or 2, we went to d pet shop there in festac n all I spent there didn't amount to 7k, which included buying drugs for my rabbit as well, I left the dog with him n picked her up a week later, a bb.. u can get a low budget gsd puppy for as low as 25k, are u saying parvo treatment will buy 2pups?? I don't know the price of the treatment but I mentioned 15k because that was what a breeder said he was billed by his vet for the treatment this lockdown on a facebook or whatsapp dog group, cant remember d one

1 Like

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Preshivano01(m): 3:16pm On Apr 29, 2020
Godfirst01:

Depends on how much the vet bills you, but 50k? is outrageous to me, the only time i spent up to 10k years back treating my dog for parvo the pup died ,was hurt for days...my gsd got ill of parvo last year almost at the point of dying. i took it upon my self giving her Anti biotics ,Bcomplex injections, and kept her hydrated today she is doing wonderfully well...not advising u giving self medications but all parvo is about is fighting the virus while keeping ur dog hydrated.
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Geepee77(m): 3:50pm On Apr 29, 2020
All the people saying NO, I wonder the type of advise you give, most of them don't even earn 50k a month and they have dogs. OP 75k a month is more than enough to take care of yourself and your dog and even have a girlfriend. Just like someone said here, with 15k monthly your dog will be fine. Just budget 20k monthly, feed your dog on their food and human food. Not all dogs get attacked by Parvo. My advice on Parvo is that make sure all vaccinations are complete before 16 weeks and don't stroll with the dog till 20 weeks and above. Do as your power reach. GSD is superb too for first time owners.

NB: No matter the money spent on dog, you will surely gain it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by BamBamK: 4:43pm On Apr 29, 2020
don't mind this poster biko.... d cost of getting any of the mentioned breeds will cost u at least 2 months of ur salary..

Yenefer:

Golden Retriever, Bichon or boxer
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Gabrokpara001(m): 4:45pm On Apr 29, 2020
Op hit me up on WhatsApp let me give your affordable feeding routine that ll make your dog robust

2 Likes

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Godfirst01(m): 4:49pm On Apr 29, 2020
Rabbitcartel:

Either ur vet lives in mango street inside banana island or ur dog na rare breed like husky weh ur vet know say no get choice.. my only parvo experience was in 2017, it was a friend that helped me cure it, d guy I bought d pup from, he wasn't responsible for d virus though as d dog was with me for about a month or 2, we went to d pet shop there in festac n all I spent there didn't amount to 7k, which included buying drugs for my rabbit as well, I left the dog with him n picked her up a week later, a bb.. u can get a low budget gsd puppy for as low as 25k, are u saying parvo treatment will buy 2pups?? I don't know the price of the treatment but I mentioned 15k because that was what a breeder said he was billed by his vet for the treatment this lockdown on a facebook or whatsapp dog group, cant remember d one

From my experience, the 50k wasnt the charge for treatment from the vet. My dog vet prescribed some drugs which I bought myself about 5k. He treated the dog for about 2 days and there wasnt a significant improvement. A family medical personnel suggested a new vet for treatment who charged 30k which I wasn't bothered cos all I was after was survival not minding the cost . The new vet did a great job and in few days the puppy health improved drastically. Mind you the former vet incurred some expenses for drips and other injections administered for the two days duration which I still have to offset.

No amount is too much to revive a dying dog but 15k charge isn't possible
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Warleyy(m): 6:58pm On Apr 29, 2020
Op I know someone that successfully treated parvo for his dog. Recently at that and he didn't even spend up to 20k he did the treatment himself.
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Eveezy(m): 7:41pm On Apr 29, 2020
Yes! You can buy a very quality dog And still feed it properly with 75k. It all depends on you and how much sacrifice you are willing to make.

You will only spend more during the first few months on vacination, after that I can assure you that if properly managed, you will not spend up to 10k monthly.

Infact you can feed 3 dogs

5 Likes

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by agboedeh: 9:16pm On Apr 29, 2020
Aidejay:
Better find local breed. Use that one learn work first, they will eat everything yam, bread, rice, beans, mango, amala, semovita, garri and palm oil, I've fed one coconut before and it ate it. They can also be trained and disciplined.
mango....lol

2 Likes

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by agboedeh: 9:24pm On Apr 29, 2020
setobaba:
loool! Never will I subject to local breed, they will end up littering everywhere with their pee and shits
Even the gsd u want to buy will even eat its poo. Everything is training. U would be surprised to what a local dog can become. Mine understands basic commands like sit, stay ,eat , come and go.
Go for a gsd. They are lovely dogs. U must be ready to work in order to get the best outcome. U can feed rice with fish, indomie with fish etc. Mine mostly eats Rice and Titus , grounded guinea corn with cray fish and fresh fish, raw chicken mostly on weekends.

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by younghartz(m): 8:39am On Apr 30, 2020
Get a 17kg dry dog food ( it will last you for a month)
Meet the food vendor around your side for left over (give her 500 naira weekly)
Buy their supplements also
Alternate the feeding pattern
Mix the dry food with the left over (op most dog love soup)

Also feed your dog the food which you eat
You ain't running a large kernel yet so it won't cost you much

Deworm your dog monthly and exercise him/her and you'd have a healthy dog.

No go kill yourself because say you dey train dog.

Aidejay:
Better find local breed. Use that one learn work first, they will eat everything yam, bread, rice, beans, mango, amala, semovita, garri and palm oil, I've fed one coconut before and it ate it. They can also be trained and disciplined.
Funny enough my dogs eats all this stuff except mango and beans (probably cus I haven't fed them yet) and they ain't ekuke (I should have used the word local,but all dogs are local breed in their nationality)

1 Like

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by welzyj2(m): 8:53am On Apr 30, 2020
BamBamK:
don't mind this poster biko.... d cost of getting any of the mentioned breeds will cost u at least 2 months of ur salary..

was about saying dat...

OP if you want to spend less go for a lhasa they dont eat as much as gsd and the market for them is still cool
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by setobaba: 10:06am On Apr 30, 2020
agboedeh:
Even the gsd u want to buy will even eat its poo. Everything is training. U would be surprised to what a local dog can become. Mine understands basic commands like sit, stay ,eat , come and go.
Go for a gsd. They are lovely dogs. U must be ready to work in order to get the best outcome. U can feed rice with fish, indomie with fish etc. Mine mostly eats Rice and Titus , grounded guinea corn with cray fish and fresh fish, raw chicken mostly on weekends.
You said raw chicken? Like I have to cook it right ??
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by setobaba: 10:23am On Apr 30, 2020
treasurevee9:

Hope you know the spices used in preparing human food are not good for dogs.
Really ? I don’t know can you explain further on this ??
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by setobaba: 10:27am On Apr 30, 2020
vincentjk:
Don't mind people discouraging you on owning and feeding a dog on a N75k salary lol, most of them don't even own the ekuke they're advising you to get talk more of a gsd lmao

I own(d) good looking boerboels, a gsd and rott and I'm not even rich sef, just go through my thread on dog diary and you'll get to learn how to make cheap affordable dog foods which is for mostly people with more than one dog, you can actually get a bag of dry food which would serve your pup up to a month

We can talk on WhatsApp and I'll put you through, stop listening to what they're saying here
Pls ur WhatsApp contact I really need to get to you cos I’m yet to get the GSD but I want the slant type . I want my dog very big
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by setobaba: 10:41am On Apr 30, 2020
Gabrokpara001:
Op hit me up on WhatsApp let me give your affordable feeding routine that ll make your dog robust
My WhatsApp’s contact 070 33 : 26 : 6193
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by vincentjk(m): 10:49am On Apr 30, 2020
setobaba:

Pls ur WhatsApp contact I really need to get to you cos I’m yet to get the GSD but I want the slant type . I want my dog very big

Okay 0806126698seven
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Dreazy23(m): 10:51am On Apr 30, 2020
Here’s my feeding expenses for 2 dogs(You can slash it by half)
2 bags of optimal puppy dry food for a month- 24k(1 bag will be enough for you)
Monthly deworming plus endo and ecto parasite injections -6k
Meat(weekly) -5k

Expenses include leash, collar, comb etc which solely depends on the quality you’re getting and how long it last for you

Price for vaccination actually depends on your vet
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Eveezy(m): 11:19am On Apr 30, 2020
Dreazy23:
Here’s my feeding expenses for 2 dogs(You can slash it by half)
2 bags of optimal puppy dry food for a month- 24k(1 bag will be enough for you)
Monthly deworming plus endo and ecto parasite injections -6k
Meat(weekly) -5k

Expenses include leash, collar, comb etc which solely depends on the quality you’re getting and how long it last for you

Price for vaccination actually depends on your vet
Where do you buy your optimax puppy food? That’s too expensive.

Optimax puppy food cost 9k per bag.
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by vincentjk(m): 11:23am On Apr 30, 2020
Godfirst01:

When my gsd had parvo in 2017 all the vets around me rejected my dog and assured me it'll die within the next few days. After many month I revisited them again with my gsd and they couldn't believe it, even the ones that said I bought an ekuke mix all ate their words. I did the treatment myself which I spent less than 5k for everything
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by setobaba: 12:15pm On Apr 30, 2020
vincentjk:

When my gsd had parvo in 2017 all the vets around me rejected my dog and assured me it'll die within the next few days. After many month I revisited them again with my gsd and they couldn't believe it, even the ones that said I bought an ekuke mix all ate their words. I did the treatment myself which I spent less than 5k for everything
Share the secrete with us ?
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by younghartz(m): 12:51pm On Apr 30, 2020
Eveezy:

Depending on the kg
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Rabbitcartel: 1:55pm On Apr 30, 2020
Preshivano01:

Depends on how much the vet bills you, but 50k? is outrageous to me, the only time i spent up to 10k years back treating my dog for parvo the pup died ,was hurt for days...my gsd got ill of parvo last year almost at the point of dying. i took it upon my self giving her Anti biotics ,Bcomplex injections, and kept her hydrated today she is doing wonderfully well...not advising u giving self medications but all parvo is about is fighting the virus while keeping ur dog hydrated.
Exactly
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Rabbitcartel: 2:00pm On Apr 30, 2020
vincentjk:

My point..
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Dreazy23(m): 2:13pm On Apr 30, 2020
Eveezy:

10kg and that has been the price, I buy at a plaza in gwarinpa and also in kubwa market

Probably your that’s the price at where you stay
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by cybriz82(m): 3:06pm On Apr 30, 2020
Godfirst01:

You can have a dog with such amount of income. People over hype the cost of maintaining a dog. Though it's sometime very expensive to maintain especially when you experience unforseen medical challenge which might necessity emergency spending. You can opt for home made food to feed your dog and occasional Cann food which are sold in units as well . . People even maintain a family with less of your income and heaven didn't fall.

I don't even know why d op dey listen to them sef...just imagine wetin Dem dey yarn... someone dat earn 30k sef own about 3dogs n he dey feed them well.. German sherpherd n 2boeboel..dude if u know ur way around fish market n fast food outlet or restaurant then u av no p.
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by cybriz82(m): 3:12pm On Apr 30, 2020
Eveezy:
Yes! You can buy a very quality dog And still feed it properly with 75k. It all depends on you and how much sacrifice you are willing to make.

You will only spend more during the first few months on vacination, after that I can assure you that if properly managed, you will not spend up to 10k monthly.

Infact you can feed 3 dogs

Tell him again pls..na those wey never train dog before dey over hype this things . .with that 75k I go train 5dogs..forget about all this canned food .we get our better local canned food,soyabean,corn n stuff.how much b chicken legs n fish head

1 Like

Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by Eveezy(m): 7:44pm On Apr 30, 2020
Dreazy23:

10kg and that has been the price, I buy at a plaza in gwarinpa and also in kubwa market

Probably your that’s the price at where you stay
Ok, probably it’s that’s price in Abuja.

Here in my location in Lagos, I buy 10kg for 9k
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by space9880: 5:34am On May 01, 2020
Yenefer:
the neighbors will going to be nuisance to the dog and he might retaliate.
not true I live in a compound with other people even children but I've had no problems at all.
Re: Can I Be On 75K Salary And Still Own A Dog ?? by space9880: 5:36am On May 01, 2020
Yenefer:

Golden Retriever, Bichon or boxer
golden retriever, boxer, smaller breed?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Diary Of Trigger (my GSD) / Cutting Cost Of Feeding Your Dogs / 5 Months Caucasian And 4 Months Boerboel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.