Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,945 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS (33577 Views)

DSS Storms Residence Of Taiwo Akerele, Former Obaseki’s Chief Of Staff / Taiwo Akerele Resigns A Governor Obaseki’s Chief Of Staff / "Obaseki And Oshiomhole Working To End Rift" – Taiwo Akerele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by bolaayenimo: 9:46am On Apr 30, 2020
Facts emerged on Wednesday on why Taiwo Akerele, former Chief of Staff to Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State, unceremoniously resigned his position last weekend. Akerele, in his resignation letter dated April 25, had said his decision to resign was based on administrative and governance grounds.

“My decision to exit the government is based on administrative and governance grounds. “I am solidly with His Excellency, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, in his quest to transform Edo State. His mission and vision resonate with mine.

“This is all I have to say. I will like to be given the opportunity to go private as I part ways administratively with the government based on principles. “I thank his Excellency for the opportunity given to me to serve in this capacity and also thanks to His Royal Majesty, Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II, for his immense leadership and support during the period I served in this capacity. May his reign be long and peaceful. Amen,” Akerele wrote in the letter.

While many have been wondering why Akerele decided to part ways with Obaseki, given their perceived closeness, a credible source in Edo Government House informed Daily Independent that the former Chief of Staff was blackmailed into doing so by forces opposed to the governor’s re-election.

According to him, Akerele lost the confidence of the governor and was locked out of the kitchen cabinet when it was discovered that he was allegedly leaking out sensitive documents to members of the Edo Peoples Movement (EPM), a political group in the All Progressives Congress (APC) loyal to Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, the party’s national chairman, who is at loggerheads with the governor.

According to our source, “Taiwo Akerele was the head of World Bank Edo State Office of State Employment and Expenditure for Results (SEEFOR) project under the Adams Oshiomhole administration. “The project involves infrastructure development in rural areas. While overseeing the project, Akerele took liberty for licence and misappropriated funds.

“There were documents showing that he bought a house in California for $1 million and so on. “Unfortunately for him, by the time the conflict between the governor and Oshiomhole started, he actually supported the governor and was fighting on his side, saying the governor deserved a second term.

“Later, the Oshiomhole team roped him in and showed him documents of houses, of how he misappropriated funds, and they threatened to report him to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). “Following the threat, he panicked and capitulated. They then started blackmailing him to reveal government documents to them. “He then became a mole and started working for the Oshiomhole team, revealing sensitive information to them.

“The governor later became worried about how sensitive information and documents were getting to the Oshiomhole camp. “It was later discovered that he was the one behind it. After that, the governor rejigged his kitchen cabinet and Akerele was locked out.

“When that happened, he was unable to get privileged information to send to the Oshiomhole camp. “Having realised that he was no longer useful to them, the Oshiomhole camp asked him to resign or be exposed, and cause a scare that there is disarray in the Obaseki camp.

“Before he even came to submit the letter to the governor, he had already gone to the media, and that was why Crusoe Osagie, the media aide to the governor, issued a statement that the governor was not aware of his resignation.”

Also speaking, Chief Charles Idahosa, a former Commissioner for Information in Edo State, said on Wednesday that Akerele was a betrayer who failed to justify the confidence reposed in him by Governor Obaseki.
Idahosa, a prominent leader of the APC in the state, said he nominated Akerele for the position of Chief of Staff to Governor Obaseki even though he (Akerele) was lobbying him to make him a commissioner in the Obaseki administration.

According to Idahosa, when Akerele approached him that he wanted to resign as Chief of Staff, he asked him if he was being blackmailed into doing so, but he replied that he wasn’t being blackmailed. He added that Akerele’s resignation was of no consequence as he was a political paperweight in the politics of Edo State.

“It might surprise you and a lot of people to know that I was the one that nominated Taiwo Akerele as Chief of Staff to Governor Godwin Obaseki. “He worked with me in Government House when I was political adviser to the governor.

“That was why I liked him because he was very efficient. He was a secretary of a committee that I chaired in Government House. “He was rolling on the ground when I nominated him as Chief of Staff because he was already lobbying me to assist him in becoming a commissioner, only for the governor to come to me and say, ‘Is there anybody you can suggest to me as Chief of Staff ?’ I immediately said Taiwo Akerele, from Akoko-Edo.
“He came to me and said he wanted to resign and I asked him, ‘Are you being blackmailed into resigning?’ He said no, he wasn’t being blackmailed. “As chief of staff, his action is a betrayal to the governor.

“There are so many things that have been unravelled about him that I don’t want to talk about because, like I told you, it is not an issue. “We have seen it before. The sad aspect is that Oshiomhole is allowing little boys to rubbish him.” When contacted, Akerele, who did not deny that he got the appointment through Idahosa, however, said, as a professional, he had resolved not to join issues with anyone. He said he had resigned and moved on with his life.

“In my resignation letter, I clearly stated that I will like to be given the opportunity to go private. “I will not join issues with anyone. I have resigned and since moved on,” he said.”

https://www.independent.ng/how-obasekis-former-chief-of-staff-was-blackmailed-into-resigning-from-office/

1 Like

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by gaby(m): 10:05am On Apr 30, 2020
This version is surely plausible.

It's such a shame how Akerele would allow himself to be pawned cheaply in this roforofo fight due to his greed. It serves him right and it's his own karma.

Dude should have learnt loyalty to boss from Abba Kyari.

Unfortunately for him, he can't run away due to Covid19. If I were Obaseki, I'd have set the EFCC on him.

Oshiomole really needs to quit with his childish politics.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by nairavsdollars(f): 10:36am On Apr 30, 2020
How can you betray a man who trusted you that much to make you a whole Chief of Staff?

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by festacman(m): 10:39am On Apr 30, 2020
Politics is a dog-eat-dog game involving humans. It is like a life in the jungle where everything is possible but nothing is guaranteed. Though it shouldn't be, but it is a game, often, played without much rationality, sympathy or even unalloyed integrity. Politicians are the same.They are basically self-centred.

So, don't believe everything you hear and don't hold brief for any of the politicians. Just watch with keen interest, learn with deep curiosity, analyse with clear head and relish with light heart. But don't get emotionally attached unless you have a stake.

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by tee2faith: 10:49am On Apr 30, 2020
One down. At least we have established that it was not Oshiomole that nominated Taiwo Akerele, the erstwhile Chief of Staff. It was Chief Charles Idahosa that nominated him.
It means that from day 1, Obaseki was not a good administrator or how would you explain the situation whereby a governor was looking and begging around town for a Chief of Staff. Its okay to ask fellow politians to nominate an SA or even commisioner but no serious minded prepared governor ought to be shopping around for a Chief of Staff from day 1. It speaks so much of the preparedeness, administrative capacity and capability of Governor Obaseki.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Racoon(m): 10:55am On Apr 30, 2020
“There were documents showing that he bought a house in California for $1 million and so on. “Unfortunately for him, by the time the conflict between the governor and Oshiomhole started, he actually supported the governor and was fighting on his side, saying the governor deserved a second term.

“Later, the Oshiomhole team roped him in and showed him documents of houses, of how he misappropriated funds, and they threatened to report him to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

“Following the threat, he panicked and capitulated. They then started blackmailing him to reveal government documents to them. “He then became a mole and started working for the Oshiomhole team, revealing sensitive information to them.
See how they fight corruption-by subterfuge, episonage and blackmail? Previous corruption which were well veiled are later opened up and used to cowed the person to submission simply because of political consideration.

Leaking sensitive govt documents is a treasonable offence.So will the DSS EFCC, ICPC, NPF do the needful now? So much for the anti-corruption fight of this govt.

cc: , Seunmsg

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Flyingngel(m): 11:08am On Apr 30, 2020
In Nigeria politics deceit, blackmail, intimidation and outright killing of political opponents is the other of the day.
If the corruption issue abt him is correct and he was in support of Obaseki then he shld have open up completely to the governor, they would have for a way to manage it or disengaged him in a better way. Or look for dirt and throw at either Oshiomole or his errand boys. In Nigeria, all politicians are corrupt so it is easy to find dirt on all of them.
Nigerian politics is survival of the fittest. If you cant survive the heat, get out of the kitchen.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by JAMO84: 11:33am On Apr 30, 2020
This is a load of crap. Obaseki discovered he was leaking information to his enemy, why didn't he sack him immediately? Why did he have to wait until the guy resigned before revealing that he was corrupt?

This bad attempt of damage control is dead on arrival. Obaseki must be treated with the 'Ambodemacine' capsule!!!

I AM DONE TALKING

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by philo04(m): 11:46am On Apr 30, 2020
I knew it.
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Corporate2020: 11:59am On Apr 30, 2020
nairavsdollars:
How can you betray a man who trusted you that much to make you a whole Chief of Staff?

Didn't you read about blackmail in the story.
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Powerintoxicate: 12:00pm On Apr 30, 2020
Can't believe that short man who was fighting for human rights at the time and fought godfathers will himself turn around and become worse

4 Likes

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by nairavsdollars(f): 12:01pm On Apr 30, 2020
Was it the governor that blackmailed him
Corporate2020:

Didn't you read about blackmail in the story.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Racoon(m): 12:04pm On Apr 30, 2020
JAMO84:
This is a load of crap. Obaseki discovered he was leaking information to his enemy, why didn't he sack him immediately? Why did he have to wait until the guy resigned before revealing that he was corrupt?

This bad attempt of damage control is dead on arrival. Obaseki must be treated with the 'Ambodemacine' capsule!!!
Go school you no gree.Your warped mindset will not let you read to understand that the Oshiomole group(though Obaseki too have his own joker to play later) are the ones threatening the poor chap to Perhaps cooperate & cross over to their side using previous well established corrupt act they knew about but failed to report same.

The spirit of blind zombiesm will never allow you lots to know when you've been mummified.So sad.Too bad.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by JAMO84: 12:39pm On Apr 30, 2020
Racoon:
[s][/s] Go school you no gree.Your warped mindset will not let you read to understand that the Oshiomole group(though Obaseki too have his own joker to play later) are the ones threatening the poor chap to Perhaps cooperate & cross over to their side using previous well established corrupt act they knew about but failed to report same.

The spirit of blind zombiesm will never allow you lots to know when you've been mummified.So sad.Too bad.
What is this one saying?

Did the report not allege that the CoS was sidelined after the governor discovered that he was leaking vital documents to the Osho camp?

My question is, if the man was a double agent, and the governor knew it, why didn't he sack him immediately? Why did he have to wait until the Osho camp blackmail him to resign?

It's you that lacks elementary comprehension, you should go back to primary 4. I cannot be communicating with you in your native language before you understand simple sentences!!!

I AN DONE TALKING

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by nairavsdollars(f): 12:42pm On Apr 30, 2020
brilliant analysis
Racoon:
[s][/s] Go school you no gree.Your warped mindset will not let you read to understand that the Oshiomole group(though Obaseki too have his own joker to play later) are the ones threatening the poor chap to Perhaps cooperate & cross over to their side using previous well established corrupt act they knew about but failed to report same.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Racoon(m): 1:32pm On Apr 30, 2020
JAMO84:
What is this one saying? Did the report not allege that the CoS was sidelined after the governor discovered that he was leaking vital documents to the Osho camp?

My question is, if the man was a double agent, and the governor knew it, why didn't he sack him immediately? Why did he have to wait until the Osho camp blackmail him to resign?

It's you that lacks elementary comprehension, you should go back to primary 4. I cannot be communicating with you in your native language before you understand simple sentences!!!
This is the hypocrisy with the APC. The case became public knowledge when the Oshiomole group's act of subterfuge became known to the governor.

Meanwhile, Oshiomole(who himself have been indicted in many corruption but never prosecuted of same) that knew about the alleged corrupt acts by same former COS never reported to the EFCC but waited for opportune time to start using it to blackmail the poor chap.

Same tactics Oshiomole once used for Pastor Ize Iyamu whom after calling him all manner of dirty names is today the crooked Chairman's beloved political bride. Obaseki also didnt get the former COS arrested & prosecuted.That is politicians for you.

APC government is using corruption to fight corruption and illegality to fight legality cum illegality.The more you see the less you understand.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Racoon(m): 1:39pm On Apr 30, 2020
Lalasticlala pls let the world here these political intrigues & shenanigans.

1 Like

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by olaboy33(m): 1:59pm On Apr 30, 2020
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Sultty(m): 2:00pm On Apr 30, 2020
Let's see how this drama go end
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Rexymania(m): 2:01pm On Apr 30, 2020
He's business
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by baristeredme: 2:01pm On Apr 30, 2020
ok
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by okomile(f): 2:02pm On Apr 30, 2020
Politics is a dirty game here in zoogeria

If you can't join their game, O.Y.O is your name

Too bad
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by shiki(m): 2:02pm On Apr 30, 2020
grin
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Freebuzz: 2:03pm On Apr 30, 2020
Lol
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Yenefer(f): 2:04pm On Apr 30, 2020
This one didn't concern me
Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by africanpride1: 2:04pm On Apr 30, 2020
Congratulation Africa!
CoronaVirus cure finally out: https://www.nairaland.com/5826758/madagascar-found-very-effective-cure

2 Likes

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Sholaco: 2:05pm On Apr 30, 2020
Oops abegy! He was blackmailed but the governor did not blackmail him and even persuaded him not to resign but he went ahead to resigned...so wetin be our own with this your blackmailing story

3 Likes

Re: How Taiwo Akerele Was Blackmailed Into Resigning From As Obaseki's COS by Wickedfact: 2:05pm On Apr 30, 2020
There are many moles in Obaseki's cabinet. As some are leaking documents, others are pushing Obaseki to continue fighting Oshiomhole.

In a few months, all of them would combine forces and show Obaseki their true colours.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Judgement: Umahi Makes U-Turn, Tenders Apology To NBA / Emir Of Kano Dr. Aminu Visits Former President Buhari In Daura (Photos) / APGA Disqualifies Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.