Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon (9174 Views)

Ayan De First-Mr Culture Performs For King Charles III For The 3rd Time / Misuzulu KaZwelithini, Zulu King In First Reed Dance With Virgin Maidens / "I Haven’t Adopted The Title Of An Emir" - Oluwo Of Iwo Oba Abdul-Rasheed Akanbi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by samuk: 12:13am On May 01, 2020
babtoundey:

Africa and the culture of human sacrifice goes handinhand. Even your ancestors were once sacrificed at the alter of ogun to placate and please imported gods.

No, my ancestors were not the ones that were sacrificed, according to Yoruba history and historians, it was my ancestors that used to sacrificed your ancestors, the Ijebus to our gods.

Please read it again below.

Regarding "food", the historian Samuel Johnson made the following claim in his book:

"The origin of the Ijebus has been variously given ; one account makes them spring from the victims offered in sacrifice by the King of Benin to the god of the ocean, hence the term Ijebu from Ije-ibu, i.e., the food of the deep. The Ijebus themselves claim to have descended from Oba-nita, as they say of themselves, "Ogietiele, eru Obanita," i.e., Ogetiele, servants of Obanita. But who was this Oba-nita? Tradition says he also was a victim of sacrifice by the Olowu or King of Owu." - Samuel Johnson, The History of the Yorubas, pp. 18-19

A historian, Tunde Oduwobi, gives an interesting analysis of this ascription of servile origins to the Ijebu in his publication "Early Ìjèbú history: An analysis on demographic evolution and state formation" (2006). Oduwobi also notes in that article and in another article that, of course, the Ijebu had their own completely different traditions about their origins.

1 Like

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Edeyoung: 12:20am On May 01, 2020
TAO11:

Again, "Oba" simply means "King". Not sure how many term this has to be said for you to get it.

So, your statement is as saying that Oranmiyan shouldn't have called the Benin ruler "King"

Does that make sense to you? undecided

For the umpteenth time, "Olu" ( just like "Ooni" ) is a praise title.

And it has a meaning to the following effect:

"The outstanding one", "the exemplary one", "the sovereign", "the lord", etc.

It's simply a praise title.

So, every Kingdom with some Yoruba features in it have this double element.

The word "King" i.e. "Oba" is used for the ruler because he is "King" obviously.

In addition to that, a unique traditional praise title is also used for him.

And for the Binis this traditional praise title is Omo N'Oba N'Edo.

To Summarize:

1. Ife ruler is an "Oba" whose praise title is "Ooni-Ife"

2. Oyo ruler is an "Oba" whose praise title is "Alaafin-Oyo"

3. Benin ruler is an "Oba" whose praise title is "Omo N'Oba N'Edo".

Etc.

This can't be clearer.

Again omo n' oba N'Edo came into the benin name in the early 1900 it was a knew invention it was never once there

So meaning benin didnt have a praise name
The statement omo n'oba N'Edo his a typical benin sentence and not that of Yoruba are you saying oromiyan only gave benin a title and no praise name

Tell me what does the statement omo n'oba N'Edo mean to you
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by TAO11(f): 12:57am On May 01, 2020
Edeyoung:

(1) Ooni is a praise term nice.....
Just the way oba in benin is a praise term

(2) But today when you call the name ooni the first thought will be king of ife mind you literally it is not but systematically it has represented king

(3) Just like the Benin are saying that ogie is king
And oba is a praise word but later represented king of benin

(4) Again if oromiyan had given the name oba to benin then what about the title like oon of ife, Alaafin of oyo and co

(5) Nice answer on number two
, egharevba a benin historian was the first to write on orun oba ado he has no reason to lie i guess......
But according to scholars nothing was found in the numerous site even if they were exhumed for ritual they should have been brought back just like the ife artworks that was constantly exhumed and returned back

(1) If "Oba" is a praise term, then what is "Omo N'Oba"??

Why aren't your rulers (including the reigning one) called "Ogie"??

(2) You're willing to admit that the word "Ooni" doesn't mean "King", but some shreds of bigotry within you wouldn't let you say it without buts or ifs.

Let me demostrate the inconsistency of your argument here as follows:

When you say the phrase "Omo N'Oba", what comes to mind is the "King" of Benin.

So, does this mean that the phrase means "King"

(3) Like I have said, Benin rulers aren't addrssed as "Ogie" Why is this the case?? Aren't they "Kings"??

If "Oba" is truly a praise term, and as "Ogie" means "King", you would have noticed the combination "Oba"/"Ogie" when addressing Benin rulers.

It will go something like: "Oba Benin, Ogie Ewuare2", or "Oba Edo, Ogie Ewuare2".

But that was never the case simply because both "Ogie" and "Oba" serve the same purpose ---they signify the word "King".

This then confirms one of them to be a Yoruba word which simply came at a latter time to replace the other one.

Instead, of seeing the combination "Oba"/"Ogie", what we see instead is the combination "Omo N'Oba"/"Oba".

So, when addressing a Benin monarch, we see an example like: "Omo N'Oba N'Edo, Oba Ewuare2.

Again this confirms that one is a praise term (i.e. "Omo N'Oba" ), and the other is simply the word "King".

This is just as the combination, "Ooni"/"Oba", or "Alaafin"/"Oba", etc. as is seen in the addresses below:

"Ooni Ife, Oba Adeyeye" or "Alaafin Oyo, Oba Adeyemi" respectively.

Again, one is the praise title, the other is simply the word "King".

(4) I have explained this in details above. The Yoruba word "Oba" just like the Edo "Ogie" has the significance of the word "King".

This explains why "Ogie" doesn't feature anywhere in addressing a Benin ruler.

It came to be replaced by a foreign word of the same significance. It could only be replaced by it since "Oba" also means "King" too.

So, praise titles like "Ooni Ife", Alafin Oyo" is similar to the praise title "Omo N'Oba N'Edo", each having the following meanings:

"The one who owns Ife", "the sovereign of the Oyo palace", and "the child who shines for Edo" respectively.

(5) Experts do not take the absence of skulls, etc. to alter anything about the tradition.

I have explained this already that what archaeologists would consider an issue is the absense of burial pits after the site has been excavated.

But lo and behold, circular burial pits were found at the site in the course of the excavation of the site in the 60s.

In fact, the total number of circular burial pits found at the site in the 60s (in the course of excavating the site) is exactly the same number of Obas' heads alluded to by Egharevba in the 40s.

This is the crux that should be focused on, and not some secret ritual that you have at least no comprehensive knowledge about.

You simply would be lying if you claim that you know for sure that such heads must indeed be brought back to the pits.

The heads aren't even bronzes to begin with, so that analogy breaks down.

And some bronze and terracota artefacts were in fact retained in the palace, since time immemorial, after they must have been first exhumed.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by TAO11(f): 1:05am On May 01, 2020
Edeyoung:

Again omo n' oba N'Edo came into the benin name in the early 1900 it was a knew invention it was never once there.

So meaning benin didnt have a praise name
The statement omo n'oba N'Edo his a typical benin sentence and not that of Yoruba are you saying oromiyan only gave benin a title and no praise name

Tell me what does the statement omo n'oba N'Edo mean to you

Your claim that Omo N'Oba N'Edo began to be applied in the 1900s is simply FALSE.

And I think you didn't make this statement as a mistake. You've simply deliberately lied because you've realized the whole point.

"Omo N'Oba N'Edo" --- which I'm sure you also know the meaning --- means "the child who shines for Edo"

It goes back to Eweka1 himself --- The defacto child king.

You shouldn't have lied in the hope to win an argument.

Such behaviour shatters your integrity before me, and denigrates you to the same abyss where samuk et al. belongs.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Edeyoung: 1:08am On May 01, 2020
TAO11:

Your claim that Omo N'Oba N'Edo is applied in the 1900s IS SIMPLY FALSE.

And I think you didn't make this statement as a mistake. You've simply deliberately lied because you've realized the whole point.

"Omo N'Oba N'Edo" --- which I'm sure you also knkw the meaning --- means "the child who shines for Edo"

It goes back to Eweka1 himself --- The defacto child king.

You shouldn't have lied in the hope to win an argument.

Such behaviour shatters your integrity before me, and denigrates you to the same abyss where samuk et al. belongs.

Show me a document in the 1800 at least adressing benin mornach as such

I will reply ur other mentions tomorrow
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by TAO11(f): 1:16am On May 01, 2020
Edeyoung:

Show me a document in the 1800 at least adressing benin mornach as such

I will reply ur other mentions tomorrow

You Binis with ridiculous requests.

Let me turn your own table to you:

Show me a document in the 1800s at least showing that the word "Eto" means "hair".

If you can't produce such written work, then what you claimed earlier that "eto" always means "hair" is a big lie. It only came to be used in the 1900s.

The absurdity of your request must be obvious to you now.

It is an open secret that Omo N'Oba began in reference to Eweka1 --- a de-facto child-king.

I am schocked that you're not ashamed of denying this.

Which Benin ruler became a de-facto child-king in the 1900s to have initiated the praise title "Omo N'Oba"?? grin cheesy

#DeadEnd

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by TAO11(f): 1:52am On May 01, 2020
samuk:

No, my ancestors were not the ones that were sacrificed, according to Yoruba history and historians, it was my ancestors that used to sacrificed your ancestors, the Ijebus to our gods.

Regarding "food", the historian Samuel Johnson made the following claim in his book:

"The origin of the Ijebus has been variously given ; one account makes them spring from the victims offered in sacrifice by the King of Benin to the god of the ocean, hence the term Ijebu from Ije-ibu, i.e., the food of the deep. The Ijebus themselves claim to have descended from Oba-nita, as they say of themselves, "Ogietiele, eru Obanita," i.e., Ogetiele, servants of Obanita. But who was this Oba-nita? Tradition says he also was a victim of sacrifice by the Olowu or King of Owu." - Samuel Johnson, The History of the Yorubas, pp. 18-19

A historian, Tunde Oduwobi, gives an interesting analysis of this ascription of servile origins to the Ijebu in his publication "Early Ìjèbú history: An analysis on demographic evolution and state formation" (2006). Oduwobi also notes in that article and in another article that, of course, the Ijebu had their own completely different traditions about their origins.

No, your ancestors were sacrificed to Yoruba gods by the monarchs of the Ife dynasty in Benin kingdom.

Having said that, the Ijebus never had such traditions of themselves, and even your copy & paste agrees that they never had such traditions of themselves.

The fact that a different sub-group makes a degrading claim about another sub-group doesn't make the claim true.

I think you are descended from the the sexual relationship of a particular Edo woman and an ape.

Is this true? Do you agree to this just because this is what I hold about you? 

Furthermore, the historian, Tunde Oduwobi who is also mentioned in your copy & paste also agrees with me that the "insult" is from outside of the sub-group.

And Reverend Johnson (who is not a historian) was simply collecting different traditions floating around regardless of which subgroup is narrating it, and about which subgroup it is being narrated.

cc: babtoundey

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Edeyoung: 7:34am On May 01, 2020
TAO11:

Show me a document in the 1800s at least showing that the word "Eto" means "hair".

If you can't produce such written work, then what you claimed earlier that "eto" always means "hair" is a big lie. It only came to be used in the 1900s.

It is an open secret that Omo N'Oba began in reference to Eweka1 --- a de-facto child-king.

Which Benin ruler became a de-facto child-king in the 1900s to have initiated the praise title "Omo N'Oba"?? grin cheesy

#DeadEnd
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by samuk: 8:24am On May 01, 2020
TAO11:

No, your ancestors were sacrificed to Yoruba gods by the monarchs of the Ife dynasty in Benin kingdom.

Having said that, the Ijebus never had such traditions of themselves, and even your copy & paste agrees that they never had such traditions of themselves.

The fact that a different sub-group makes a degrading claim about another sub-group doesn't make the claim true.

I think you are descended from the the sexual relationship of a particular Edo woman and an ape.

Is this true? Do you agree to this just because this is what I hold about you? 

Furthermore, the historian, Tunde Oduwobi who is also mentioned in your copy & paste also agrees with me that the "insult" is from outside of the sub-group.

And Reverend Johnson (who is not a historian) was simply collecting different traditions floating around regardless of which subgroup is narrating it, and about which subgroup it is being narrated.

cc: babtoundey

Since you want to continue flogging the issue rather than letting it rest, this is the history of Ijebu as written by Yoruba historians, both agreed on the servile nature of the Ijebus, whether it was the Benin that sacrificed them or Owu, it doesn't really matter. Both Yoruba historians agree that they were slaves, not Ife princes like you would like us believe here on Nairaland.

Both Johnson and Oduwobi agreed that the Ijebus were historically slaves. You now struggle to understand simple English.

Even the Ijebus themselves agree to be descendants of Oba-nita, a sacrificial victim of Owu.

Descendants of Yoruba and Benin sacrificial slaves come here daily to be casting aspersions on the princes and princesses of great Benin hiding under the myths of all Yoruba are princes from Ife.

If you are too blinded by bigotry to see and comprehend what was written, I am sure others will not so be blinded.

It will do you and the Ijebus good to leave this history the way it is because you can't spin it and produce Ife princes out of it. The more you engage on it, the more pages of Ijebu history will be created for those that haven't seen it to see.

Your lying condition is so bad, that you don't realise when you are caught in a trap and tight corner to escape quietly without causing yourself and people more embarrassment.

Let me see how you are going to convince me or any sane person that Ijebu history says they were princes from Ife and not the sacrificial slaves Yoruba history recorded them to have been.

You know that henceforth, your ass is literally my when I catch you writing nonsense about Benin.

1 Like

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Edeyoung: 8:35am On May 01, 2020
TAO11:

#DeadEnd

You're right tho we got all this missed up because of the English interpretation

Omo n oba was the benin original title meaning
A child that shines the Portuguese came and half the name to oba because they couldn't pronounce the full name

A benin man calls the oba by his full name
Omo n'oba (a shinny child)
The Portuguese halfed the title to only the word oba which was transcribe to oba of benin
Removing the word ba out of omo n'ba

This is to say the full original title of the oba in the edo dialect was not oba but omo n'oba
From the full word omo n' ba n'do ukwapolopolo

This is also could be interpreted in two ways

Oba was coined out by the Portuguese out of the original title of omo n' oba,

please note dont interprete omo n oba to a Yoruba sounding meaning as `child of an oba'

What am saying is omo n' oba (a child that shines) the original title got nothing to do with the yorubas

1 Like

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by TAO11(f): 9:30am On May 01, 2020
Edeyoung:

You're right tho we got all this missed up because of the English interpretation

Omo n oba was the benin original title meaning
A child that shines the Portuguese came and half the name to oba because they couldn't pronounce the full name

A benin man calls the oba by his full name
Omo n'oba (a shinny child)
The Portuguese halfed the title to only the word oba which was transcribe to oba of benin
Removing the word ba out of omo n'ba

This is to say the full original title of the oba in the edo dialect was not oba but omo n'oba
From the full word omo n' ba n'do ukwapolopolo

This is also could be interpreted in two ways

Oba was coined out by the Portuguese out of the original title of omo n' oba,

please note dont interprete omo n oba to a Yoruba sounding meaning as `child of an oba'

What am saying is omo n' oba (a child that shines) the original title got nothing to do with the yorubas
You keep dancing around. grin

"Omo N'Oba" is an Edo phrase, and at no point did I mention that it is a Yoruba phrase or that it means "child of an Oba". Stop pretending! grin

You only made that allegation to deceive yourself further. I already stated clearly that "Omo N'Oba" means "The child who shines".

And you knew where exactly I mentioned that because you replied those comments already. Or don't you read what you reply to? See one example: https://www.nairaland.com/5826609/how-come-title-oba-became/3#89046715

Moving on ....

Lol. So, it's the Portuguese that coined "Oba" from "Omo N'Oba"?? grin Latest joke in town! grin

In other words, Benin rulers were never called "Oba" prior to circa.1485. Lol, this is getting more interesting here cheesy

I hope your kinsmen won't hate you for making up all these stuffs just to win an argument.

Now, let me pretend that you have evidence for all these face-saving gymnastics that your'e engaging in (I know you don't though. grin )

The actual difficult dead-end for you remains as follows:

"Omo N'Oba" is clearly the praise title, and you've now admitted that.

However, without any basis you're now asserting that "Oba" too is a praise title (allegedly a shortened form of the actual praise tittle). grin

In other words, you're insisting that the word "Oba" does not mean "King" (from the supposed lenses of the Edo).

Now, the specific dead-end which you will need to overcome, then becomes as follows:

Why are the monarchs of Benin NEVER for once, in the history of Benin Kingdom, regarded or addressed as "King"? Aren't they "King"? cheesy cheesy cheesy

This question comes from the fact that, what we always see in address to rulers of Benin Kingdom is such as may be seen in the following example:

'Omo N'Oba N'Edo', 'Oba' Ewuare1.

No address as "King" is seen here or anywhere else, right?? Why?? grin

This question should naturally force any fair-minded person to come to terms with reality ---that is, to admit the obvious fact that:

"Omo N'Oba" is the praise title (which simply means "the child who shines" ), while "Oba" on the other hand is simply the word "King" as you've been shown from its straightforward etymology in the Yoruba language.

In any case, not only does your made-up excuse have this big flaw (whereby a Benin ruler seem never to be regarded as "King" cheesy ), it also has no basis.

Somewhere within you, you know you're simply engaging in gymnastics. But even the gymnastics comes to a dead-end as I have shown again now.

Come to full terms with reality!

Cheers!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by TAO11(f): 9:36am On May 01, 2020
samuk:

Since you want to continue flogging the issue rather than letting it rest, this is the history of Ijebu as written by Yoruba historians, both agreed on the servile nature of the Ijebus, whether it was the Benin that sacrificed them or Owu, it doesn't really matter. Both Yoruba historians agree that they were slaves, not Ife princes like you would like us believe here on Nairaland.

Both Johnson and Oduwobi agreed that the Ijebus were historically slaves. You now struggle to understand simple English.

Even the Ijebus themselves agree to be descendants of Oba-nita, a sacrificial victim of Owu.

Descendants of Yoruba and Benin sacrificial slaves come here daily to be casting aspersions on the princes and princesses of great Benin hiding under the myths of all Yoruba are princes from Ife.

If you are too blinded by bigotry to see and comprehend what was written, I am sure others will not so be blinded.

It will do you and the Ijebus good to leave this history the way it is because you can't spin it and produce Ife princes out of it. The more you engage on it, the more pages of Ijebu history will be created for those that haven't seen it to see.

Your lying condition is so bad, that you don't realise when you are caught in a trap and tight corner to escape quietly without causing yourself and people more embarrassment.

Let me see how you are going to convince me or any sane person that Ijebu history says they were princes from Ife and not the sacrificial slaves Yoruba history recorded them to have been.

You know that henceforth, your ass is literally my when I catch you writing nonsense about Benin.

Refutation of your bigotry always comes from your own copied & pasted sources. Bigotry and inferiority is a terrible thing though. See the following in bold:

"A historian, Tunde Oduwobi, gives an interesting analysis of this ascription of servile origins to the Ijebu in his publication "Early Ìjèbú history: An analysis on demographic evolution and state formation" (2006). Oduwobi also notes in that article and in another article that, of course, the Ijebu had their own completely different traditions about their origins."

In the light of your self-defeat, show me then how the Ijebu-Yoruba subgroup themselves admit to being descended from a sacrifice victim.

You're actually more ret@rded that I expected. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 5:08pm On May 01, 2020
Afrocentrist, all humans migrated from africa,please recheck your claims,earliest humans were proto-humans and again Caucasoid,mongoloid,negroid are not accurate terms the human race is more diverse than that,and "indus people" are not classified as negroid,and again there is no substantial evidence to prove it,only claims which are till date not credible enough to come to such conclusions,besides even ancient arabs are claimed to come from africa due to geography and cultural links and again there is nothing like "African" horners are also caucasoid too,but in future if more credible evidence come font then maybe we can agree on sub-saharan links of "indus people"
Amujale:

Archeology, anthropology, linguistics, personnel and symbolism.

There are no caucasoid civilisations in the Indus Valley.

The earliest civilisation in those regions migrated from Africa.

As a matter of fact, Africans are indigenous to all the continents; we have the map and we have traced their movement using archaeology, anthropology, symbolism and personnel comparitive studies.

The first caucasoid civilisation was crete.

The Arabs and the Europeans have the same beginnings.

The earliest traceable Arabian civilisation was in mesopotamia.

That are no Arabs in the Indo valley.

The Chinese and Japanese came from the Mongols.

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by OgboAto: 5:21pm On May 01, 2020
samuk:

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 1:01am On May 02, 2020
RamessesIV:
Afrocentrist, all humans migrated from africa,please recheck your claims,earliest humans were proto-humans and again Caucasoid,mongoloid,negroid are not accurate terms the human race is more diverse than that,and "indus people" are not classified as negroid,and again there is no substantial evidence to prove it,only claims which are till date not credible enough to come to such conclusions,besides even ancient arabs are claimed to come from africa due to geography and cultural links and again there is nothing like "African" horners are also caucasoid too,but in future if more credible evidence come font then maybe we can agree on sub-saharan links of "indus people"

Everything truth to someone such as you is viewed through the lens of Eurocentrism.

I suggest you improve your scholarship and reeducate yourself with regards to African history.

What is this notion of Afrocentrism that you bandish about?

Just to be clear, eventhough you may prefer to me Afrocentric as a derogatory connotation, however you need to realise that the true meaning of Afrocentrism is the scholarship, whilst the scholars themselves are better known as Africanist.

Theres no such thing as a 'negroid'.

Where does the term 'Negroid' originate?

There is melanated people and passive melanated people.

Every living person on the planet possesses melanin, however some are active whilst others are passive.

You need to research well rather than follow the malicious narrative of the psedo-science that has been debunked since the late 1900's.

All my teachings are based on scholarship and not merely opinionated.

What is the meaning of the term 'Caucasoid'?

In order for one to ascertain the validity of something its important to perform a thorough perusal.

I dont claim anything that is not subjected to research.

Anything i say or wrtite up about can be researched, does us all a favour and research before you attempt anything.

Heres the deal.

Whatever i have written or shared with the thread that you may find difficult to agree with, research and provide evidence that you think contradicts and we can take it from there.

Where does the term 'Caucasoid' originate from?
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 1:08am On May 02, 2020
Afrocentrism is a scholarly movement that seeks to conduct research and education on global history subjects, from the perspective of historical African peoples and polities. It takes a critical stance on Eurocentric assumptions and myths about world history, in order to pursue methodological studies of the latter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrocentrism
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 1:11am On May 02, 2020
Africanisms refers to characteristics of African culture that can be traced through societal practices and institutions of the African diaspora. Throughout history, the dispersed descendants of African people have retained many forms of their ancestral African culture.

Also, common throughout history is the misunderstanding of these remittances and their meanings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanisms
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 1:12am On May 02, 2020
Pan-Africanism is a worldwide movement that aims to encourage and strengthen bonds of solidarity between all indigenous and diasporan ethnic groups of African ascent.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 1:23am On May 02, 2020
RamessesIV:
Afrocentrist, all humans migrated from africa.

All the evidence suggest that all humans originate from Africa.

If you have any evidence that contradicts this, you can glady provide it here.

Such understanding resides in the 'Out of Africa' theory.

All human kind are traceable to Africa due to the fact that African people are proven to be the oldest people on planet Earth.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 1:27am On May 02, 2020
RamessesIV:
earliest humans were proto-humans

Eventhough that isnt even true, assuming we are to go with the flow and work with such hypothesis, Homo Sapien Sapien is said to exist exclusively in Africa. Check?

Given the lack of conclusive evidence to support the Eurocentric commentary on African history, the safest way to conclude is that the early Africans was no different to the humans of today.

Perhaps, this is where we can allow for 'out of the box' thinking, such as the first Africans, the first humans was created by extra-terrestrials.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 1:36am On May 02, 2020
RamessesIV:
arabs are claimed to come from africa due to geography and cultural links..

The evidence suggest that the current stock of Arabs and Europeans are Caucosoids.

The ancient population of Asia and Europe all originated from Africa.

They was all 'melanated active', in other words, they was blacksic this has been proven without a shadow of a doubt.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 1:48am On May 02, 2020
RamessesIV:
"indus people" are not classified as negroid,and again there is no substantial evidence to prove it,

The only African use for the term 'negroid' is so as to compile certain historical commentary.

We know that is meant to refer to 'melanated active' peoples; they used derogatory terminology so as to attempt to justify there psedu-science. One can overlook the crass terminology and gain the pieces of information.

Indus people was blacksic there is enough evidence to prove that.

Various ethnicities from Africa inhabitted and populated those regions, recent information pinpoints one of these people as the Twa.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 2:00am On May 02, 2020
RamessesIV:
"African" horners are also caucasoid too,but in future if more credible evidence come font then maybe we can agree on sub-saharan links of "indus people"

I guess you ought to research the history of North Africa.

Who are the original 'horners'?

The demographic of that regions has changed hands more than 100 times in the last 2,100 years.

Furthermore, learn to make use of the term 'South of the Sahara', opposed to 'Sub Sahara'.

Know thyselves.

South of the Sahara ✅

Sub Sahara ✖

The communities 'South of the Sahara' arent sub to anyone or anything nevermind the 'Sahara'.

For further discussion, follow the link here:

https://www.nairaland.com/5795996/african-origin-civilisation

1 Like

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 8:17am On May 02, 2020
Afrocentrism is the same with eurocentrism,I deal with generally agreed evidence,not selectively looking for ones that supports my "theory"
Amujale:

Everything truth to someone such as you is viewed through the lens of Eurocentrism.

I suggest you improve your scholarship and reeducate yourself with regards to African history.

Just to be clear, eventhough you may prefer to me Afrocentric as a derogatory connotation, however you need to realise that the true meaning of Afrocentrism is the scholarship, whilst the scholars themselves are better known as Africanist.

Every living person on the planet possesses melanin, however some are active whilst others are passive.

You need to research well rather than follow the malicious narrative of the psedo-science that has been debunked since the late 1900's.

In order for one to ascertain the validity of something its important to perform a thorough perusal.

Anything i say or wrtite up about can be researched, does us all a favour and research before you attempt anything.

Heres the deal.

Whatever i have written or shared with the thread that you may find difficult to agree with, research and provide evidence that you think contradicts and we can take it from there.

1 Like

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 8:19am On May 02, 2020
"Know thyself" afrocentrism

I don't look at history or evidence looking to back claims,anything that doesn't support your views is eurocentric,again genetic and archealogical evidence has proven that the indigenous population are still there
Amujale:

I guess you ought to research the history of North Africa.

Who are the original 'horners'?

The demographic of that regions has changed hands more than 100 times in the last 2,100 years.

Furthermore, learn to make use of the term 'South of the Sahara', opposed to 'Sub Sahara'.

Know thyselves.

South of the Sahara ✅

Sub Sahara ✖

The communities 'South of the Sahara' arent sub to anyone or anything nevermind the 'Sahara'.

For further discussion, follow the link here:

https://www.nairaland.com/5795996/african-origin-civilisation

1 Like

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 8:24am On May 02, 2020
But when psuedo-science said first humans were from africa it wasn't a lie lol ���,negroid is used just as Caucasoid,there is a movement in the scientific community to drop this terms as they are considered inaccurate yet eurocentrics and afrocentrics are still using for political agendas

Indus people was "black" again this has not been proven,genetic testing done in 2017 did not show such evidence,and you mean "black" you refer to the people with "sub-saharan ancestry or the negritos
Amujale:

The only African use for the term 'negroid' is so as to compile certain historical commentary.

We know that is meant to refer to 'melanated active' peoples; they used derogatory terminology so as to attempt to justify there psedu-science. One can overlook the crass terminology and gain the pieces of information.

Indus people was blacksic there is enough evidence to prove that.

Various ethnicities from Africa inhabitted and populated those regions, recent information pinpoints one of these people as the Twa.

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 8:52am On May 02, 2020
Ancient population of asia and europe all originated from africa according to "out of africa migration",they were not modern humans,all humans trace down to africa according to present evidence and are africans

All humans can trace their ancestry back to Africa where the ancestors of anatomically modern humans first diverged from primates

Oga what do you define as "black" how is that any different from "negroid

Caucasoid is acceptable but negroid isn't?? ��

I follow scholarly revised work am not going to disagree with it to follow race pseudoscience,early human were neither negroid,nor Caucasoid these are modern humans who share close genetic relationship and evolved differently in different parts of the world who migrated "from africa",that's why "africans are so genetically diverse" and holds distant dna

Afrocentrism is just like eurocentrism
Amujale:

The evidence suggest that the current stock of Arabs and Europeans are Caucosoids.

The ancient population of Asia and Europe all originated from Africa.

They was all 'melanated active', in other words, they was blacksic this has been proven without a shadow of a doubt.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 9:00am On May 02, 2020
Homo sapiens are one of the earliest humans

"Eurocentric" how is it "eurocentric" Earliest humans were different from all humans,arechealogists have proven these,the ones found in ethiopia and morocco were not modern humans

Don't distort and support evidence for politics

Anyways just like creationists disagree with proof of close ancestry with other primates,and early eurocentrist disagreed with evidence that all human share the same ancestry including "metros" is the just the same say you choose to disprove and approve just to suit yours too

Again I work on revised,peer reviewed finding not eurocentric or afrocentric
Amujale:

Eventhough that isnt even true, assuming we are to go with the flow and work with such hypothesis, Homo Sapien Sapien is said to exist exclusively in Africa. Check?

Given the lack of conclusive evidence to support the Eurocentric commentary on African history, the safest way to conclude is that the early Africans was no different to the humans of today.

Perhaps, this is where we can allow for 'out of the box' thinking, such as the first Africans, the first humans was created by extra-terrestrials.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 9:04am On May 02, 2020
Did I ever say humans didn't come from africa??

All humans in the world came from Africa and migrated out this is what I have been saying,if african are the only "true humans" where did Asians come from,europeans,again ancient humans aren't modern humans

Indus was just as the same time with mesopotamia,again africans refer to diverse people in africa

Amujale:

All the evidence suggest that all humans originate from Africa.

If you have any evidence that contradicts this, you can glady provide it here.

Such understanding resides in the 'Out of Africa' theory.

All human kind are traceable to Africa due to the fact that African people are proven to be the oldest people on planet Earth.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 9:12am On May 02, 2020
Lol lens of eurocentrism says the afrocentrist

I am well versed on scholarly,reviewed,researched works on african history

Why is everything that doesn't support your "black hypothesis",eurocentrist

Lol yeah negroid or caucasoid isn't right let's group humans in melanated and passive melanated people,even athropologist don't use this,are you any better than the racists who did the "negro" "Caucasoid" Classification

I don't need to back up my claims with evidence must of the claims you made here aren't even peer reviewed or correct,as i have said I follow scholarly,proven and well researched claims

I am not new to this whether is eurocentric,afrocentric,creationist,white or black nationalist people tend to use history for their own bias and politics,the era of scientific racism has proven this
Amujale:

Heres the deal.

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 9:15am On May 02, 2020
From the perspective of "African people" one is about white people the other is about black people
Amujale:
Afrocentrism is a scholarly movement that seeks to conduct research and education on global history subjects, from the perspective of historical African peoples and polities. It takes a critical stance on Eurocentric assumptions and myths about world history, in order to pursue methodological studies of the latter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrocentrism
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Opiletool(m): 1:26pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

This only leads credence to Oba Erediawa's claim that the first Ooni was a Benin prince and Benin founded Ife, that's why no any other Yoruba Oba is allowed to be buried in the Ife holy land, except the greatest and the holiest of holy, the Oba of Benin.

This you claimed that it was a lie fabricated by the Yorubas that benin obas' heads were buried in ife. Are you this confused and dumb?

We all know that gregyboy is a joke, now you're tailing him in the foolery with all effort.

Are these the best benin Kingdom (not empire) could offer?

How sad.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Spiritual Usage Of Bitter Kola People Don't Know / Yoruba Grammar / Osun State Best Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.