Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. (79430 Views)

JAMB Twitter Handler's Grammatical Blunder Got People Talking / 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 10:53pm On Apr 30, 2020
Some grammatical mistakes you make and things you say wrong.

Hello, everyone. Before I shoot, I’d like you to read this:

After learning some Spanish and having to correct a lot of English in WhatsApp groups, I’ve discovered that some of us say some things wrong. Some like saying things like “English is not our language”, “Who English epp? (Who does English help?)” “Does it add money to my account?” especially when you correct them. But most of these are said out of ignorance. English is not your language, but why do you use it? English has helped a lot of people, YES! It has. Why else do we use English to teach at school? In fact, more research has been done in English than in any other language, 98% of scientific materials published today are in English, I’m not saying that other languages are inferior, but the truth is that, some people do need to stop being ignorant and face it – English really DOES matter…and YES – it can add money to your account in so many ways; you think about it.

Yeah, I feel like it’s important for me to add this: I’ve come across some Nigerians who speak English as their first tongue; I do as well, so the idea of saying English is not our language doesn’t make any sense at all. I have no problem with anybody speaking any indigenous language.

The English language is not a foreign language to Nigeria, it has mixed with our cultures in a unique way, and therefore has become ours – one of our languages, even though I don’t speak the language of my indigenous tribe, I still have some of their cultural values instilled in me, I cherish and respect them.

Aha! I must not skip this; I've interacted with Brits and Americans on the internet, so I see them make silly mistakes as well, but the ones I've written here are some of the mistakes I see my country people make often. Let’s see some of the grammatical mistakes people make and things they say wrong.

1) The verb – to make;

Of course, you would have definitely seen some people make mistakes with this verb, it’s common to hear people say things like:
“This picture makes me TO remember my past.”
“Eating all the time will make you TO be fat.”
“If you use this medicine, it will make you TO sleep.”
I am sure you’ve already spotted the mistake, right? – Yeah, I made it obvious. The verb – to make doesn’t take “to” after it, so the correct thing to say in each sentence above is: “This picture makes me remember my past.”
“Eating all the time will make you (be) fat” – in this kind of sentence, it’s more common and therefore more natural to skip the verb – “be”.
“If you use this medicine, it will make you sleep.”
The only time it’s fine to use “TO” after the verb – to make is when it is in the passive; for example, “I was made TO kneel down yesterday at school.” NOT I was made kneel down yesterday at school.”

2) The verb – to enable;

This verb requires “to” after it, but it is so amusing that some people would leave out “to” using this verb but would use it with the verb “to make”.
Here is an example: “This software will enable you TO work on your computer efficiently.” NOT “This software will enable you work on your computer efficiently.”

3) The verb – to allow;

This verb also requires “to” after it.
Here is an example: “My parents will not allow me TO go out today.” NOT “My parents will not allow me go out today.”

4) The verb – to reply;

The mistakes made with this verb are pretty common, this verb is intransitive, which means it cannot go with a direct object, therefore, it needs a preposition for it to make sense, and therefore, you reply TO somebody or TO something. NOT reply somebody or something.
“Why didn’t you reply my messages?” is WRONG. The correct thing is: “Why didn’t you reply TO my messages?”

5) The idiom – to be about to do something;

Hahahaha , I remember hearing someone say: “I was just about asking same thing.” Well, the correct thing is: “I was just about TO ask you THE same thing.”

6) The noun – stuff;

Yeah! This particular noun is such a pain in the ass for some people, it is uncountable, so, it cannot take an S after it and an indefinite article can’t be used with it either.
“Please give me five minutes – I want to get my STUFF” NOT “Please give me five minutes – I want to get my stuffs”.
“Where did you get all this stuff?” NOT “Where did you get all these stuffs?”
“Where IS all my stuff?” NOT “Where are all my stuffs?”
“This is good stuff.” NOT “This is a good stuff.”
The only context where stuff can take an S is if it’s used as a verb: “Ade always stuffs himself with so much junk food.”

7) The nouns – slang and jargon;

English is weird, yeah…but it’s not hard. So many people make mistakes with these nouns - These nouns are uncountable – yeah you read it right; UNCOUNTABLE.
I remember reading an article sometime ago, it had: “20 slangs you will hear in Nigeria” as its title: If you’ve been reading this article carefully, you will have known what is wrong with the sentence.
Numbers can’t be used with uncountable nouns, so the correct thing is: “20 SLANG WORDS/EXPRESSIONS/TERMS you will hear in Nigeria”. Or simply put: “Some slang you will hear in Nigeria.” – So you can use “some” with uncountable nouns and countable nouns as well.
“That is internet slang.” NOT “That is an internet slang.”
“Too much slang was used in the movie.” NOT “Too many slangs were used in the movie.”
“His messages were full of jargon.” NOT “His messages were full of jargons.”

8 ) The noun – information;

I don’t need to explain this, just keep it in mind that it is UNCOUNTABLE.
“Thank you for that information.” NOT “Thank you for those informations”
“What a wonderful piece of information!” NOT “What a wonderful information!”
“I want to share some information with you.” NOT “I want to share you an information.”

9) The noun – advice;

This is uncountable as well: make sure you do not mistake it for the verb: advise. The noun is spelt with a C and the verb with an S.
“I need (some) advice from you.” NOT “I need some advices from you.” NOT “I need an advice from you.”

10) All what;

If you’ve been saying this, then you need to STOP saying it! This is WRONG! It should be either: “All (that)” or “All OF what”.
“All (that) I’ve been saying is that….” NOT “All what I’ve been saying is that…”

11) The noun – headache;

Just as people make mistakes with uncountable nouns, they also do the same thing with countable nouns – it’s very common to hear “I am having headache”. This sentence is wrong. It should be: “I have a headache.”

12) The noun – news;

This is an uncountable noun. wink
“This is good news!” NOT “This is a good news!”

13) The expression – in the twinkling of an eye;

I’ve heard and seen people say: “In the twinkle of an eye.” – This is wrong of course: it should be: “In the twinkling of an eye.”

14) The famous – “I don’t get”.

Okay, I don’t want to be too annoying because I KNOW that some will get angry reading this article, but guess what? Learning never ends. We are used to saying this, but you should know that the verb – to get in this case is transitive, so it needs an object to sound okay.
So I recommend that you start saying: “I don’t get IT.”
Saying “I don’t get” has always sounded weird to me, I’ve asked some foreigners just to be sure it's not just me but they said it sounded weird to them as well.

15) The noun – furniture;

I usually see furniture makers put up a sign like “ABC furnitures.”
This doesn’t work in English; it’s an uncountable noun, so you already know the drill.
“They like playing with furniture.” NOT “They like playing with furnitures.”

I am Nigerian, so I speak more Nigerian English, I don’t hate it, I just like when people make good use of it because I know what it feels like when you murder someone's language. When I was in junior secondary school, I remember saying something wrong in Yoruba while I was playing with my friends, you needed to have seen how three of them were throwing corrections at me. (
There are so many people who care about mistakes – especially in English.
These are just a few of the mistakes. I could keep on writing and writing, but I will leave it here.
So, I hope this helps your English if you’ve been saying it wrong.

Ermmmm, one last thing before the final full stop: This is for people who can’t do without starting a sentence with or using “Am”; What exactly is wrong? Please stop making this horrible mistake, if you can’t use the contraction: “I’m…” then use: “I am…”
It’s not hard work. The pronoun I is just one letter.

Thanks for reading.

Veebliz.

379 Likes 56 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by SeverusSnape(m): 11:07pm On Apr 30, 2020
I always mistake 'Advise' and 'Advice'.

Verb and Noun.

Those of you that are fond of using 'Am' instead of 'I'm' or 'I am', Desist from that this corona period.
English no easy sha, Thanks OP.

68 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Plut01: 11:27pm On Apr 30, 2020
That number six has always been my grammatical undoing. Though, my use of pidgin played a part.

9 Likes

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by sholikay(m): 11:30pm On Apr 30, 2020
correct op.. nice one

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by haiti007(m): 11:33pm On Apr 30, 2020
We learn everyday.
Learning stops only in the grave.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by fuwaski(m): 12:05am On May 01, 2020
Rules of Concord

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by mattbass(m): 12:31am On May 01, 2020
SeverusSnape:
I always mistake 'Advise' and 'Advice'.

Verb and Noun.

Those of you that are fond of using 'Am' instead of 'I'm' or 'I am', Desist from that this corona period.
English no easy sha, Thanks OP.

Sorry bro... When do we use "Advise" in a sentence since it is a verb??

5 Likes

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by San2ski(m): 12:54am On May 01, 2020
Kai
Na everything naa . and I come been dey feel like I'm king Kong for grammar sad

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 6:23am On May 01, 2020
mattbass:

Okay, I will explain it to you.

Since Advise is a verb, you will most likely need to use a subject before it.

Check out these examples:

I have advised you too many times.

My mum always advises me whenever I do something wrong.

I would strongly advise against going out on your own.

They advised that he go back to his country.

Now, as a noun:

Dad, I have found two houses, but I'm confused about which one to choose so I need your advice.

They give advice to people who are about to get married.

Take my advice, don't get married.

I need some advice on how to get my head around it.

Both in a sentence:

We were advised to seek legal advice.

Lisa started giving advice after being advised by her friend.

Seun Lalasticlala Mynd44 please.

180 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Sageez(m): 7:22am On May 01, 2020
Akwai da mua! turanchi tor!

4 Likes

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Lovexme(m): 7:31am On May 01, 2020
I've seen my mistakes.

Thanks for this important piece of information. cheesy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by femi4: 7:39am On May 01, 2020
mattbass:

e.g I ll ADVISE you to take the ADVICE

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Gadafii: 9:36am On May 01, 2020
Op you are posting in the rubbish, we have every right to speak how we are comfortable with in as much as we are not cursing or insulting anyone

Shakespeare used a lot of words,sentences,phrases etc that were not grammatically right in his time, now some of those words are in the Dictionaries.

I owe no one Good English,are we understood?

51 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by OYENIYIJK: 9:47am On May 01, 2020
thanks for this
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Raymeskey: 10:38am On May 01, 2020
Good one
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 10:48am On May 01, 2020
Gadafii:
Op you are posting in the rubbish, we have every right to speak how we are comfortable with in as much as we are not cursing or insulting anyone

Shakespeare used a lot of words,sentences,phrases etc that were not grammatically right in his time, now some of those words are in the Dictionaries.

I owe no one Good English,are we understood?

grin grin I knew someone like this would comment. I'm afraid you might need to read everything again. wink Shakespeare spoke older English, there's a huge difference between that and modern English. What you hear nowadays is pretty much modern English, so saying he used incorrect grammar in his time is wrong, get it? The language has evolved over the years but much of its grammar hasn't changed, so what you've stated doesn't make any sense at all.

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by pek(m): 10:53am On May 01, 2020
Bookmarked.

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by StrikeBack(m): 10:56am On May 01, 2020
Okay.

Let me forward this to Buhari

7 Likes

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by AmazingMOG: 10:56am On May 01, 2020
Rubbish.

Someone that can’t speak fluent English is your president why y’all that are English Professors are languishing In poverty

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Nobody: 10:56am On May 01, 2020
Educative

4 Likes

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by mattbass(m): 10:56am On May 01, 2020
Veebliz:

Okay, I will explain it to you.

Since Advise is a verb, you will most likely need to use a pronoun before it.

Check out these examples:

I have advised you too many times.

My mum always advises me whenever I do something wrong.

I would strongly advise against going out on your own.

They advised that he go back to his country.

Now, as a noun:

Dad, I have found two houses, but I'm confused about which one to choose so I need your advice.

They give advice to people who are about to get married.

Take my advice, don't get married.

I need some advice on how to get my head around it.

Both in a sentence:

We were advised to seek legal advice.

Lisa started giving advice after being advised by her friend.

Seun Lalasticlala Mynd44 please.

Thank you so much.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Nobody: 10:56am On May 01, 2020
Noted
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by LordOfTheWeed: 10:57am On May 01, 2020
You're posting in the rubbish, you're posting in the nonsense, you're posting in the thing that does not even have single experience, you're posting in the nonsense!!!! angry

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by DontCough: 10:57am On May 01, 2020
Hey OP! I personally don't fvck with English anymore.
Grammatical errors blah blah blah, how is my grammar going to up my account balance.

English is another man's language, another man's agenda.
I'm presently working on an agenda that'll make the world speak Yoruba. Until the US President speaks Yoruba, let English fuvk off.

Who Grammar Epp Abeg?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by MorataFC: 10:57am On May 01, 2020
Cool
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Offpoint: 10:57am On May 01, 2020
The beauty of this post is.... I'll forget 98% of everything before i leave the post and go back to my normal errors and eat plenty fufu To Make me Sleep Well Well.

Our very own Grammar Nazi don give up on me. If him correct me 1 today, I go make 5 tomorrow. dey guy don comot hand for my matter

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by PrincessB1(f): 10:57am On May 01, 2020
Interesting.

Nice one cool

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Temptee101(m): 10:58am On May 01, 2020
shocked

Absolute gibberish filled with shiit

2 Likes

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by bergs2: 10:58am On May 01, 2020
After all these English, corona virus is still ravaging.
Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by airminem(f): 10:58am On May 01, 2020
Ex president Wife patience Jonathan comes to mind

I hate some nairalanders

Meanwhile order for facemask folks

3 Likes

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by faithfull18(f): 10:58am On May 01, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pictures Of One Of The Schools Tinubu Built In 2001 / 12-Year-Old Whitney Adeniran Dies At Chrisland High School (Photos) / Anita: 'I Was Raped By Emeka Gabriel Oboh Aka Obojingo In UNIZIK'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.