Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,697 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. (79432 Views)

JAMB Twitter Handler's Grammatical Blunder Got People Talking / 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by nairamaniac: 5:56pm On May 01, 2020
airminem:

Soldiers are not animals like you think

They dont need to be animals to beat someone up.

They need to be provoked.

And such acts provokes them.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Alzirida(f): 6:22pm On May 01, 2020
Salmom:

I'm is the contraction of I am. Example; "I am sick" and "I'm sick" are the are the same
When "am" is used to begin a sentence, the sentence must be a question. Example: am I go up?
Am I dead?
Am I?

If the sentence isn't a question then it would be incorrect to begin with "am". Example; am doing great. This is wrong. It should be "I am/I'm doing great".

Thanks sweetheart.

But people are making it look as if I am is wrong.
They keep correcting people on Twitter erroneously
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Olas16198901: 6:22pm On May 01, 2020
Na d tin wey dey tire me b day. Inglish na inglish d tin wey mata pass, na understanding. Understand what the person his saying. D oyinbos we gt d language set dey do mistakes, who con b me wey I never understand my own language finished. Abeg joor go tell bubu

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by tot(f): 6:30pm On May 01, 2020
DontCough:
Hey OP! I personally don't fvck with English anymore.
Grammatical errors blah blah blah, how is my grammar going to up my account balance.

English is another man's language, another man's agenda.
I'm presently working on an agenda that'll make the world speak Yoruba. Until the US President speaks Yoruba, let English fuvk off.

Who Grammar Epp Abeg?

Meanwhile you typed this in English.....the irony.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by tot(f): 6:39pm On May 01, 2020
TuFab:
You said you've interacted with Brits and Americans and noticed their blunders? Like seriously?
Are u sure you're normal at all?
So you want to be more English than a British?
You should be ashamed of yourself that u can't speak ur indigenous language fluently, yet u carry another man's own on ur head.
You reek of inferiority complex.
You need a cure fast!!!

What's the insult for? If you don't understand his reasons for creating the post, it's perfectly fine to ignore. We don't have to turn everything to abuse and insults.

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by seanBOLTY: 6:42pm On May 01, 2020
Herbephe1:
Op
which one is correct:
the "reason" I did it/ the "REASON WHY " I did it
In yoruba;idi ti mofise/idi nkan to sele timofi se[correct]..and nkan ti mofi se/nkan to sele timofi se[correct].lol..i swear down,when it comes to this yoruba really help..and pls when next you want to start with such sentence ,remove 'the' makes it wrong.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by tot(f): 6:43pm On May 01, 2020
Votukpa:

Just thought I should make some corrections.
I didn't do all of it but I'm sure you get the message.

But some of the corrections you made are alternative words or phrases to those he used, doesn't make his incorrect.

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by DontCough: 6:46pm On May 01, 2020
tot:

Meanwhile you typed this in English.....the irony.
grin
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Yang2020: 6:52pm On May 01, 2020
Veebliz:

grin grin I knew someone like this would comment. I'm afraid you might need to read everything again. wink Shakespeare spoke older English, there's a huge difference between that and modern English. What you hear nowadays is pretty much modern English, so saying he used incorrect grammar in his time is wrong, get it? The language has evolved over the years but much of its grammar hasn't changed, so what you've stated doesn't make any sense at all.
Bros no vex oo. The correct English wey we dey claim so, who dey verify am say e correct?. Abi nah God they certify am say he correct? . This peple go just say something nah Adjectival one thing clause verb, we self go say e correct. Just kidding anyway. Weldone

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by tot(f): 6:54pm On May 01, 2020
DontCough:

grin

grin grin next time you must use indigenous Yoruba smiley oh!
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by seanBOLTY: 6:56pm On May 01, 2020
Yang2020:
Bros no vex oo. The correct English wey we dey claim so, who dey verify am say e correct?. Abi nah God they certify am say he correct? . This peple go just say something nah Adjectival one thing clause verb, we self go say e correct. Just kidding anyway. Weldone
lol
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by DontCough: 6:59pm On May 01, 2020
tot:

grin grin next time you must use indigenous Yoruba smiley oh!
hahahaha... funny you

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Salmom: 7:00pm On May 01, 2020
Alzirida:

Thanks sweetheart.

But people are making it look as if I am is wrong.
They keep correcting people on Twitter erroneously
It depends on how you use it. Example; I'm I to go up? This is grammatically incorrect. And I see people make this mistake some of the time.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 7:11pm On May 01, 2020
Olayinka8793:
My biggest grammatical headache in English remains the correct use of the words : "being" and "been".
Still yet t master those two bastards.

What is the difference between "been" and "being"?

Use "been" after the verb "to have" (e.g., has, have, had, having). For example:
I have been to Paris.
The puma has been seen in the city.

Use "being" after the verb "to be" (e.g., am, is, are, was, were). For example:
The greatest benefit is being in Paris.
He was being rude.

Here is the source: https://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/being_been.htm

Click on the link for more information.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 7:13pm On May 01, 2020
lonikit:
"reply" is both transitive and intransive verb. so, u are wrong.

You're mistaken. I'm sorry.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 7:16pm On May 01, 2020
lonikit:

the explanation of "reply" is wrong. "reply" can be used both transitively and intransitively. so, preposition is not needed when it is transitive. it is correct to say: the teacher replied the student.

Oops! You're wrong. I'm sorry.

Here is the correct thing to say:

The teacher replied to the student.

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 7:35pm On May 01, 2020
Kenmatt:
OP, you said you have spoken with so many British and Americans and noticed some errors in grammar they use.

Please, I am interested in knowing some of these English grammatical blunders these British and Americans make.

Do you think every native English speaker is perfect at grammar?

I've interacted with some of them on WhatsApp and Facebook, so I know what I'm talking about.

It wouldn't make sense to always take a screenshot of every grammatical mistake I see. But I've attached a screenshot below, say "hi" when you see it. smiley

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 7:38pm On May 01, 2020
Healthyway15:

Thanks for that piece of information... I would like you to say something concerning what someone with username 'Ionikit' said about 'reply' in page 2.

Done.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 7:52pm On May 01, 2020
adeiza4u:
Thank you for this piece. Though apparently, you wrote this from a prescriptive perspective of Grammar, not descriptive perspective of Grammar. If you apply structural syntax to parsing your submissions in number 1 to 4, you'll realize your observations as regard To infinitive phrase are invalid. To infinitive phrase is one that has many functionalities; it could function as an object to transitive verbs, compliments to intransitive verbs, and adverbial, and even object compliment. Secondly sir, I'll suggest you check the differences between Nigerian English (NE), and Standard British English(SBE)and importantly note their different grammatical nuances. Speaking from a linguistic and syntactical perspective though.

Did you mean something like:

It made it possible for me to do it? If not, I'd like you to give me some examples.

As regards Nigerian standard English and British English, I want you to tell me what the different grammatical nuances are. Both variants definitely have different items of vocabulary, but they have pretty much the same grammar rules.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 7:56pm On May 01, 2020
babseg:

Despite speaking "wrong" English language in Nigeria, some still made their way in to the Oxford English Language in January 2020 tongue

"Ember months" -- used to describe the last months of the year, usually from September to December -- has also been added, while "next tomorrow," meaning the day after tomorrow, also made the cut.

"To rub minds," which means to consult and work together, and "barbing salon" -- a place to get a haircut -- also feature.

grin Yeah! smiley I know about that. These expressions are very cool to me and I use most of them.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 7:57pm On May 01, 2020
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 8:00pm On May 01, 2020
Rebuke:
Veebliz, are yhu saying to say "just an advice" is wrong then?
undecided

Yes, it is.

Say these instead:

Just a piece/word of advice.

Just some advice.

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by gr8tone: 8:00pm On May 01, 2020
I am not confortable with this sentence , "I am having a headache" The use of the article "a" shows that headache is a countable noun. How will it sound if I say I am having headaches? Very weird to me. Though it may be correct, I wouldn't know. Just a local man
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 8:05pm On May 01, 2020
Saynotoapc:
Op is this sentence correct.
These are the good stuffs

Of course not.

This is the good stuff.

It doesn't matter whether you're referring to two or more things, it's always uncountable. If you're uncomfortable with it, then you should consider using more of "thing" - this noun is countable. wink

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 8:12pm On May 01, 2020
Chukwudi4naija:
I hope this 'helps' is wrong. It's rather, I hope this help. See subjunctive mood.

The verb "to hope" is not used with the subjunctive.

I hope this helps ✓

I hope this will help. ✓

Click on this link for more information: https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/51076/hope-this-help-or-hope-this-helps

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 8:17pm On May 01, 2020
Votukpa:

Just thought I should make some corrections.
I didn't do all of it but I'm sure you get the message.

���� grin grin grin grin
Oops! Off target, dude. Sorry.

���
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 8:30pm On May 01, 2020
Sweetcho:
Another is using 'his' indiscriminately regardless of whom you are referring to . The amount of times I have read an article speaking of a female that has been littered with his instead of hers and vice versa

That's why some people now use "singular they". I do use it as well.

Instead of saying: "To each his own." I'd rather say: "To each their own."

Someone left their phone here.

Here's more information: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

1 Like

Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 8:34pm On May 01, 2020
orlymat:
The writer used a lot of "we are used to..." I think this is wrong. Instead use "we do" or "we did,".

Thank u

https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-m_used-be-used-to.htm wink
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 8:42pm On May 01, 2020
mhmsadyq:
the verb - to make
The verb – to allow etc.

whenever "to" comes before a verb in a sentence,
the verbal word goes together with the "to" before it.
Such phrase is known as ADJUNCT in English. So in the sentence
This picture makes me TO remember my past.
the verb is "Make" while "TO remember" is an adjunct.
The sentence is also CORRECT.

Hahaha! It's wrong, dude. Sorry. Look up the meaning of "adjunct" again.

I guess you'd say this sentence is correct: I won't let you to go. grin grin grin
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by LegacyB: 8:51pm On May 01, 2020
Humanoid01:

Read.*
thanks for the typo correction.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Veebliz(m): 8:52pm On May 01, 2020
Herbephe1:
Op
which one is correct:
the "reason" I did it/ the "reason why " I did it

Both are fine, a lot of people think it's important to add "why", but it's not necessary.
Re: Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. by Votukpa(m): 8:55pm On May 01, 2020
tot:

But some of the corrections you made are alternative words or phrases to those he usJed, doesn't make his incorrect.

Indeed.

In those instances, the writer wasn't incorrect in his communication- he got his point across quite satisfactorily. However, his choice of words made his manner of expression superfluous and his write up, unengaging.

The beauty and strength of written english is established by accurate communication, using appropriate diction and phrasing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

12-Year-Old Whitney Adeniran Dies At Chrisland High School (Photos) / Pictures Of One Of The Schools Tinubu Built In 2001 / Anita: 'I Was Raped By Emeka Gabriel Oboh Aka Obojingo In UNIZIK'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.