Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,910 members, 7,952,664 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:36 PM

Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users (1376 Views)

Does It Mean That Xiaomi Has No Good After Sales Service? / Boomplay Offers Its Users 25 Million MB Free Data For COVID-19 Lockdown / Between Infinix And Xiaomi Phones, Which One Is Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Idiotmod: 11:16am On May 02, 2020
According to a security researcher working with Forbes, Xiaomi has been collecting browsing data from users who are using Xiaomi phones and the built-in browser. And the fun part is that the browser does so even in incognito mode or even when using the privacy-conscious DuckDuckGo web browser.

Gabriel Cirlig, the security researcher, is using a Redmi Note 8 as a daily driver and noticed that the device records pretty much everything he does on the phone and sends the data to servers in Russia and Singapore, although the domains are hosted in Beijing. We are talking screens, websites visited, folders opened, settings he changed, music played on the default app, etc.
The data itself is poorly encrypted using the base64 format, so it was very easy for him to transcribe the data into plain text.

Cirlig went even further and downloaded the ROMs for Xiaomi Mi 10, the Redmi K20 and the Mi Mix 3 and found the very same security vulnerability on all of them. Another security researcher, Andrew Tierney, found the suspicious behavior on the Mi Browser Pro and the Mint Browser too.

Xiaomi has responded to the allegations saying that Forbes findings are misleading and untrue. A spokesperson for the company said that Xiaomi complies with all local laws and regulations on user data privacy and the collected browsing data has been anonymized. As to why Xiaomi is collecting it, it's because the firm is trying to improve the user's browsing experience and it's a standard practice. More importantly, the data can't be traced back to a specific user. However, Gabriel Cirlig sent a video to Xiaomi showing how the browser sends its history to the said servers even in incognito mode.

Source: gsmarena

Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Nobody: 11:31am On May 02, 2020
I happen to use a Xiaomi phone myself, but I know the Chinese are dodgy when it comes to privacy issues. One day, I'll couple my very own encrypted mobile device cos all these tech companies can't be trusted, even the American brands like Apple...

1 Like

Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Nobody: 11:38am On May 02, 2020
Guys between Infinix hot 8 and Redmi 8A which one should I go for

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by BrickDevo: 11:39am On May 02, 2020
As long the reports is Coming from Usa, I won't believe it easily, they have been doing everything possible to bring down anything Chinese

1 Like

Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by sunshineV(f): 12:32pm On May 02, 2020
Na to use chrome straight up
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by VillageBus(m): 12:42pm On May 02, 2020
Every big company they collect those data cus of ads, or u think say na randomly dem dey show those ads.
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Karex81(m): 1:25pm On May 02, 2020
sunshineV:
Na to use chrome straight up
Chrome is worst, use duckduckgo browser.
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by BianoJay(m): 1:30pm On May 02, 2020
Kingscee:

Redmi 8A, of course.
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Karex81(m): 1:31pm On May 02, 2020
I observed this, anytime I use my chrome browser, to browse on any e-commerce site, immediately I leave the app and login into my Facebook I begin to see the site ad. As long as you use the internet, your private data has been compromised. Google knows everything about you, your voice, your address, your dob, your favorite things etc.
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Idiotmod: 1:39pm On May 02, 2020
Karex81:

Chrome is worst, use duckduckgo browser.
Re read this place again

Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by directonpc(m): 1:43pm On May 02, 2020
Fear any software from China
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Karex81(m): 1:43pm On May 02, 2020
Idiotmod:
Re read this place again
ok, no browser perfect but duckduckgo is more secured than chrome for sure.
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Idiotmod: 1:45pm On May 02, 2020
But on a serious note, should somebody that is using freebasic care about privacy

1 Like

Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Bahat: 2:56pm On May 02, 2020
Iamundisputed:
I happen to use a Xiaomi phone myself, but I know the Chinese are dodgy when it comes to privacy issues. One day, I'll couple my very own encrypted mobile device cos all these tech companies can't be trusted, even the American brands like Apple...

They will still contact you for the backdoor or decryption logic which you will gladly Give
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 02, 2020
Bahat:

They will still contact you for the backdoor or decryption logic which you will gladly Give

Well, the aim is to reduce breach of privacy, nothing is 100% secure over the internet, but you can at least reduce intrusion.
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by IdeeEsperanza(m): 3:20pm On May 02, 2020
Why should this be a loud news? Google and Facebook have been collecting our data for decades.
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by FryMosquito: 3:32pm On May 02, 2020
Hope this is not a paid propaganda because of Xiaomi recent successes ...

Anyway, here's Xiaomi notice disputing the allegations

Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by olujosh301(m): 3:49pm On May 02, 2020
Even Google collects users data
Why do you think that if you search for a product on either Jumia/Amazon and co you see ads of them even after leaving the site

All of them collect data including vpns
No one is totally safe
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Bahat: 10:00pm On May 02, 2020
Iamundisputed:

Well, the aim is to reduce breach of privacy, nothing is 100% secure over the internet, but you can at least reduce intrusion.

Oh yeah with security protocols in place there are library to aid data privacy but doing a brand new crypto algorithm will aid learning process and possibly strengthen secret communication channel. I don't know much about cryptography though
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 02, 2020
Bahat:

Oh yeah with security protocols in place there are library to aid data privacy but doing a brand new crypto algorithm will aid learning process and possibly strengthen secret communication channel. I don't know much about cryptography though

Yup... It'd be a nice project and wonderful learning experience.
Re: Report Claims That Xiaomi Phones Collect Browsing Data From Its Users by Playermayweda(m): 10:27pm On May 02, 2020
Kingscee:

Don't even think about hot 8, Redmi for life

(1) (Reply)

Burning Reasons Why You Should Not Buy Iphone SE 2020 / Gadgets For Sale, Check Them Out And Singnify Interest. / Tecno Phones Below ₦30k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.