Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data (2807 Views)

Galaxy A20s - Samsung's Response To The Infinix S4 (video) / Chinese People Angrily Destroying Their Iphones In Response To Hauwei Ban By US / Airtel Megapack Problems: Users Are Experiencing This, No Response From Airtel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by akinzgist(m): 4:11pm On May 02, 2020
Here is Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data.

After accusations that Xiaomi collects user data surfaced on 30th April 2020, the Chinese smartphone company has released an official response to address the matter.

See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data
See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data
A cybersecurity researcher, Gabi Cirlig, had made the revelation that Xiaomi harvested people’s data. Cirlig mentioned that Xiaomi collects most of this data when a user uses its default browser.

He even went as far as saying that the company ignored the ‘Incognito Mode’ feature as well. In addition, every website and webpage a Xiaomi use visits are saved. This is regardless of whether the person uses Google or DuckDuckGo.

This could spell doom for the company which has been on a steady rise in the market lately. Usually, hearing ‘data collection’ and ‘China’ in the same sentence is a red flag.

However, to make matters worse, Gabi Craig had added that all data was aggregated and sent to remote servers in Singapore and Russia. This, despite that they are Beijing-registered web domains.

In response, the smartphone maker had said:

“Xiaomi was disappointed to read the recent article from Forbes. We feel they have misunderstood what we communicated regarding our data privacy principles and policy.

“Our user’s privacy and internet security is of top priority at Xiaomi; we are confident that we strictly follow and are fully compliant with local laws and regulations. We have reached out to Forbes to offer clarity on this unfortunate misinterpretation.”

What Xiaomi means by its response to user data collection as explained by CNet is that; it collects aggregated usage statistics on things like responsiveness and performance

https://www.androidpurse.com/see-xiaomis-response-to-accusation-that-it-collects-users-data/

1 Like

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by obojememe: 4:48pm On May 02, 2020
ok....
Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by innobarca(m): 4:51pm On May 02, 2020
A Chinese tech friend of mine told me that last year.
Not only Xiaomi, many others are stealing people's data too.

He also warned me about some browsers on playstore.

4 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by Trades07: 5:17pm On May 02, 2020
Ok.
innobarca:

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 02, 2020
innobarca:

Ecclesiastes 3 :16
And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there.

1 Like

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by innobarca(m): 7:39pm On May 02, 2020
Lamb101:

Ecclesiastes 3 :16
And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there.

and in the place of righteousness, even
there was wickedness.
Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 02, 2020
innobarca:

and in the place of righteousness, even
there was wickedness.
cheesy
God bless you with more and more wisdom
Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 8:36pm On May 02, 2020
I am one of the many people on twitter escalating the discoveries and unravelling of any proven fact stating the obvious concerning xiaomi product and users confidentiality.

Users should always be aware of what they are getting into. Xiaomi lied about their method or what they are using the users data being collected for, they went even further to claim the data is not pinned to a user, as the data collated are anonymously sent, when in fact, it is a cover up scam.

If you check this twitter.com/zesushv handler, you will be amazed at what has been uncovered regarding this disappointing incident that involves xiaomi.
The disturbing reality of this is, xiaomi could and should have accepted their error and swung to action and fix it.

This privacy theft and data siphoning without users permission was traced to the mi browser[mint browser]. A single update or an option to Uninstall the mi browser would settle all this tension and would have preserved xiaomi's integrity of being a privacy cautious company. But no, they tried denying it and went ahead to refute and even involved top security companies who gave them licence just to rubbish a discovery which was in reality, the truth.

Now there is a video on YouTube which gives a detailed exposey on how xiaomi actually does this.

We are waiting for xiaomi's next response, because accepting their mistake now will just be complete fallacy, utter incompetence or a failed attempt after being unable to deceive a universe of intelligent android users.

And people wonder why I choose xiaomi... They are under a lot of watchful eyes by us the fans and their errors don't go unnoticed.
If you want to join the discussion find me on twitter.com/zesushv

7 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by edoairways: 8:47pm On May 02, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:
I am one of the many people on twitter escalating the discoveries and unravelling of any proven fact stating the obvious concerning xiaomi product and users confidentiality.

Users should always be aware of what they are getting into. Xiaomi lied about their method or what they are using the users data being collected for, they went even further to claim the data is not pinned to a user, as the data collated are anonymously sent, when in fact, it is a cover up scam.

If you check this twitter.com/zesushv handler, you will be amazed at what has been uncovered regarding this disappointing incident that involves xiaomi.
The disturbing reality of this is, xiaomi could and should have accepted their error and swung to action and fix it.

This privacy theft and data siphoning without users permission was traced to the mi browser[mint browser]. A single update or an option to Uninstall the mi browser would settle all this tension and would have preserved xiaomi's integrity of being a privacy cautious company. But no, they tried denying it and went ahead to refute and even involved top security companies who gave them licence just to rubbish a discovery which was in reality, the truth.

Now there is a video on YouTube which gives a detailed exposey on how xiaomi actually does this.

We are waiting for xiaomi's next response, because accepting their mistake now will just be complete fallacy, utter incompetence or a failed attempt after being unable to deceive a universe of intelligent android users.

And people wonder why I choose xiaomi... They are under a lot of watchful eyes by us the fans and their errors don't go unnoticed.
If you want to join the discussion find me on twitter.com/zesushv
You are honest. From today I begin to respect you
Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 9:47pm On May 02, 2020
edoairways:

You are honest. From today I begin to respect you
I respect you too sir, a lot. You are one of the few persons if they see the light millions will never walk in darkness.
And yes, I try to be as honest as I possibly can. What I can confidently say is, I am without sentiment or grudge when dealing with issues. So as to avoid ignoring important facts or useful warnings that may become costly in future.

4 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by edoairways: 10:08pm On May 02, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:

I respect you too sir, a lot. You are one of the few persons if they see the light millions will never walk in darkness.
And yes, I try to be as honest as I possibly can. What I can confidently say is, I am without sentiment or grudge when dealing with issues. So as to avoid ignoring important facts or useful warnings that may become costly in future.
Yeah. Continue with the good work.

1 Like

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 10:48pm On May 02, 2020
edoairways:

Yeah. Continue with the good work.
I will be a gross liar if I said I could on my own. Evil only prevail when the do-gooders are few or are silent. This is a long battle for user-friend and buyers protection.
Come stand with me on this journey of exposing and enlightenment.
No company is strong, no company is hell bent. If their buyers know what they want, they will comply.

2 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by musicwriter(m): 10:50pm On May 02, 2020
Beware of anything you're reading here. The West is out to destroy China, and they want the Chinese economy destroyed completely within the next 10 years.

Nobody monitors you more or has the resources to monitor you more than US and European sources. In fact, depending on the opinions you and I share here, US and EU sources could be monitoring you right here on Nairaland. You and I could even already be on ''person of interest'' list, just because of your Nairaland comments.

Know your enemy.

Xiaomi is a Chinese product and its fastly becoming the best selling phone in Africa, India, South America. They make very good phones and going by their momentum, they may as well become the world's best selling phone in near future.

White people cannot take it that you an African or an Asian or someone else be ahead of them. Any day we Africans wake up and begin manufacturing our own stuff, this's what we'll face.

I am going to buy a Xiaomi phone next week.

9 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by KingAzubuike(f): 10:54pm On May 02, 2020
musicwriter:
Beware of anything you're reading here. The West is out to destroy China, and they want the Chinese economy destroyed completely within the next 10 years.

Nobody monitors you more or has the resources to monitor you more than US and European sources. In fact, depending on the opinions you and I share here, US and EU sources could be monitoring you right here on Nairaland. You and I could even already be on ''person of interest'' list, just because of your Nairaland comments.

Know your enemy.

Xiaomi is a Chinese product and its fastly becoming the best selling phone in Africa, India, South America. They make very good phones and going by their momentum, they may as well become the world's best selling phone in near future.

White people cannot take it that you an African or an Asian or someone else be ahead of them. Any day we Africans wake up and begin manufacturing our own stuff, this's what we'll face.

I am going to buy a Xiaomi phone next week.

True , they all complaining about China but most of them have facebook accounts and the likes. There's a reason why China doesn't even trust Facebook. grin. They had to create their own version of Facebook for their citizens.

4 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by musicwriter(m): 11:07pm On May 02, 2020
KingAzubuike:

True , they all complaining about China but most of them have facebook accounts and the likes. There's a reason why China doesn't even trust Facebook. grin. They had to create their own version of Facebook for their citizens.

That's really the crux of the matter. Their grouse is that China is standing on its feet and can manufacture what it needs and, moreover, for the rest of the world. The West can't take that.

3 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 11:10pm On May 02, 2020
musicwriter:
Beware of anything you're reading here.

I have read your writeup.
Let me know where you stand so as to be sure of the purpose of your post.
Was what I wrote concerning users privacy and confidentiality breached through data leaking from the mi browser[mint] by xiaomi a lie?
Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by musicwriter(m): 11:36pm On May 02, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:

Your comprehension of information is highly flawed and your reasoning is caved to a desired outcome before this matter was even considered.

If you had with an intelligent mind and proper understanding read the posts on this thread. You would have seen that the crux or pivotal point of this thread is to bring to the citizens of nairaland The findings and evidence leveled against xiaomi concerning data breach of users privacy and policy.
No one is asking China not to stand on its feet, but the fact that you are willing to sell whatever ounce of respect or privacy there be left in you or your love ones or business associates just to see China stand, speaks volume of how careless and nonchalant you are. In simple words, you lack wisdom.

Your perspective on this topic as a whole is very limited, so you honestly believe its about Xiaomi. Unfortunately, most people will. Sorry, but I know enough to know what it's all about.

Again, nobody monitors you more or has the resources to monitor you more than US and European sources. In fact, depending on the opinions you and I share here, US and EU sources could be monitoring you right here on Nairaland. You and I could even already be on ''person of interest'' list, just because of your Nairaland comments.

Edward Snowden is a former US spy agent who worked at the NSA. He've been spilling the beans since over a decade on how the US hacks and monitor the world. Go to youtube and watch his interviews before you talk about China.

Edward Snowden: How Your Cell Phone Spies on You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFns39RXPrU

4 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 12:22am On May 03, 2020
musicwriter:

Your perspective on this topic as a whole is very limited, so you honestly believe its about Xiaomi.
What are you even saying right now?
"your perspective" you think this an opinionated matter?
An issue of what you prefer or don't?
America and NASA are spying on the world is okay for Xiaomi to spy on its customers too?

The topic and deliberation is about xiaomi and users privacy being compromised to an unknown gain, which is obviously beneficial to xiaomi and whomever/whatever xiaomi chooses to sell these collected data to.

Now if none of this is your concern, but your concern is something that has been said but not being discussed here. Then it's you who has a perspective to this issue.

I am for an average xiaomi user who is unaware of what is being done behind their back. And evidence have been showed and verified with countless proof that these data thievery is being done by xiaomi.
This not US vs Huawei claims were Trump is all talk and no evidence.

This has a trail of evidence piling to the doorstep of xiaomi. If you are genuinely interested in getting informed concerning this matter then head on to twitter where its being verified by sources and individuals of great technological intelligence not some fabricated conspiracy you endow-ing yourself in to pass time. This is really happening.

The screenshot attached below is how every mi user will be feeling right now. Should you not know, this error is also available on the mint browser which can be installed on any phone from Google Playstore. Google is America, and the biggest Tech industry in the world. Since you are so big on imaginatives and ignores reasons and logic. Is Google not aware the mint browser is a potential malware snooping on users even in America?

Why is Google not speaking out seeing xiaomi is Chinese?
Well, feed on that.

1 Like

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by Nobody: 12:51am On May 03, 2020
We overestimate this issue of collecting data. What would xiaomi or any other company do with the data of an average Nigerian?
The data they collect is mainly for tailoring ads to suit the interest of particular people.
Again, every tech company collects data without your permission.
The only thing is, the ones from China and Russia are made to look like the bad guys thanks to Western propaganda.
If you're so conscious about your data, then you can travel back to the stone age.
Peace ✌️

Modified

He's busy insulting anyone that does not subscribe to his views. Many companies violate privacy but you focus on one. Rings a bell.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by Whois(m): 7:50am On May 03, 2020
Blame fb

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 9:22am On May 03, 2020
Whois:
Blame fb
Which one is fb again?
Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 9:36am On May 03, 2020
I feel really disappointed at xiaomi to say the least. With all the evidence and facts pointing to xiaomi collecting users data without users consent via mi browser. Xiaomi's replies to this issue has been "xiaomi does not collect data without users consent"
So xiaomi you show proof of users agreeing to you collecting their search query[[/b]irrespective of your search engine whether na Google or duckduckgo][/b], urls, browsing habits and still collecting these data even if user switch to incognito mode... Xiaomi replies has been "we don't collect data without users consent" or "these top security companies licensed us"

Please note oh, a simple update or user access grant can fix this oh.. But no, xiaomi no gree. Instead them fall hands over the gains they are receiving from these data collection.

Is it that these evidence goes away if xiaomi just says "we don't collect users data without their consent"... Everyone just says "yep, if xiaomi says they don't. They don't"

Abi na this popular saying "love is blind" make ziaomi think a mi user is going to turn a blind eye to something this sensitive?
Who even dey give these companies mind sef... If there no xiaomi another good brand go dey and even still dey. Why take advantage of fans love?
Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by musicwriter(m): 10:31am On May 03, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:

What are you even saying right now?
"your perspective" you think this an opinionated matter?
An issue of what you prefer or don't?
America and NASA are spying on the world is okay for Xiaomi to spy on its customers too?

The topic and deliberation is about xiaomi and users privacy being compromised to an unknown gain, which is obviously beneficial to xiaomi and whomever/whatever xiaomi chooses to sell these collected data to.

Now if none of this is your concern, but your concern is something that has been said but not being discussed here. Then it's you who has a perspective to this issue.

I am for an average xiaomi user who is unaware of what is being done behind their back. And evidence have been showed and verified with countless proof that these data thievery is being done by xiaomi.
This not US vs Huawei claims were Trump is all talk and no evidence.

This has a trail of evidence piling to the doorstep of xiaomi. If you are genuinely interested in getting informed concerning this matter then head on to twitter where its being verified by sources and individuals of great technological intelligence not some fabricated conspiracy you endow-ing yourself in to pass time. This is really happening.

The screenshot attached below is how every mi user will be feeling right now. Should you not know, this error is also available on the mint browser which can be installed on any phone from Google Playstore. Google is America, and the biggest Tech industry in the world. Since you are so big on imaginatives and ignores reasons and logic. Is Google not aware the mint browser is a potential malware snooping on users even in America?

Why is Google not speaking out seeing xiaomi is Chinese?
Well, feed on that.

You're missing the point, brother.

For your information, every communication electronic device you're using is spying on you; including your so called secure one that you're typing with. The Amazon alexa or and eco smart speaker device were also caught red-handed spying on Americans. Smart TV's has been caught videoing rooms in America.

And as I said earlier, listen to Edward Snowden's interviews on Youtube for how the US spy on YOU and the whole world.

When it comes to spying, China and Xiaomi still dey learn work.

Edward Snowden: US Government Can Hack Your iPhone Like A Criminal To Track You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEYJOi2JwiQ

2 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 10:34am On May 03, 2020
musicwriter:

You're missing the point, brother. For your information, every communication electronic device you're using is spying on you; including your so called secured one that you're typing with. The Amazon alexa or and eco smart speaker device were also caught red-handed spying on Americans. Smart TV's has been caught videoing rooms in America.

And as I said earlier, listen to Edward Snowden's interviews on Youtube for how the US spies on YOU and the whole world. When it comes to spying, China and Xiaomi still dey learn work.

Edward Snowden: US Government Can Hack Your iPhone Like A Criminal To Track You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEYJOi2JwiQ

Let me quote your entire words this time.
So is spying on a user a good thing?
Should users just accept the idea that their privacy is no longer of the essence or importance?

1 Like

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by abumeinben(m): 10:43am On May 03, 2020
Forget. All OEMs, software companies collect data. Privacy is now in history books.

1 Like

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by musicwriter(m): 10:52am On May 03, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:

Should users just accept the idea that their privacy is no longer of the essence or importance?

Nobody has said spying is a good thing. But I just wanted to let you know that the major spies are the ones accusing China and Xiaomi of spying. Xiaomi has no more power to spy on you than apple, google, microsoft, facebook or others.

2 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by Hermionegranger(f): 11:00am On May 03, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:

You use Facebook right? About a month ago Facebook pushed an update for their app and included a feature which allows them to collect people's information without their knowledge or consent. Facebook has a record of all the websites their users have visited for the past one month. They also have data on their app usage including data of their banking apps and activities on banking websites. The fact is that tech users should have it at the back of their minds that user privacy is an ILLUSION and that it's INEVITABLE for tech companies and their Governments to monitor them. The only way to avoid being monitored may be to destroy all your devices and use pigeon post(and history shows that even those can be intercepted)

It's quite hypocritical for Forbes to call out Xiaomi and the Chinese without calling out Facebook and especially the CIA both of which are infamous for doing the same thing. If you're serious about your data privacy activism, you shouldn't make it one sided by restricting your fight to Xiaomi, take it to Facebook too. I'll have to warn you though, you're fighting a lost cause.

4 Likes

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 11:48am On May 03, 2020
musicwriter:

Nobody has said spying is a good thing. But I just wanted to let you know that the major spies are the ones accusing China and Xiaomi of spying. Xiaomi has no more power to spy on you than apple, google, microsoft, facebook or others.
No one is accusing xiaomi of spying. Xiaomi is actually spying... Are your fixation only to propagandas and claims?
Look at the facts and evidence levelled against xiaomi. It's not an accusation anymore, it's not an investigation.
Xiaomi was caught compromising users data and are still doing it to everyone browsing with mi browser or mint browser.
This is proven facts not alleged.
What is difficult to get here?
Except you are saying the evidence found was planted, otherwise xiaomi is stealing users data.

Other than Facebook, everyone on your list has only be "alleged" to compromise users data. So if I am wrong, point me to a detailed fact of spying.

And just for informative purpose, Apple has one of the most secured OS, if not the most secured.
Not because they can't be hacked, but unlike xiaomi, if Apple gets a report of a leak or privacy infringement. They act immediately.
I am using an android device/xiaomi in case you are wondering.
Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 12:05pm On May 03, 2020
Hermionegranger:
If you're serious about your data privacy activism, you shouldn't make it one sided by restricting your fight to Xiaomi, take it to Facebook too. I'll have to warn you though, you're fighting a lost cause.
Your claims are relevant and to substantiate my stand even further, I don't have a Facebook app on my device. I can't remember the last time I visited Facebook, but I will log in now as this came into discussion.

Secondly, it's not about being an activist of privacy or fighting a good fight.
This as simple as, xiaomi is doing something wrong and knowing xiaomi and what it stand for, I wasn't expecting this to drag on at the expense of her users and fans trust.

Whether you see it or not, I didn't post this on nairaland. I only commented to clarify that, though acknowledged the importance and quality of xiaomi's product, I am not in support of this behaviour of xiaomi.

Goto my twitter wall its clustered with xiaomi and her products, imagine my pain, when someone you had suggested xiaomi to comes to your inbox to ask "Am I safe while using this phone?".
I don't know the heart or substance you all that have been excusing xiaomi's gross negligence and complete show of unwarranted cunning are made of.

But I am not in support of xiaomi stealing of users private data.
I and every one who cares more for life first, will ensure xiaomi is duly brought to account even if the brand goes under for this.
You can't just cash in on people's trust because you can.

Imagine if everyone was lying to you, and you found out that, that one person you trust all these while may have been the biggest liar.

You all are so comfortable with so many abnormalities and discrepancies, it makes me feel sorry and sympathetic towards your conditions.
No one should be brought this low, most especially not Nigerians. Good people who deserves only the best.

1 Like

Re: See Xiaomi’s Response To Accusation That It Collects Users’ Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 12:07pm On May 03, 2020
abumeinben:
Forget. All OEMs, software companies collect data. Privacy is now in history books.
Other than to publicly state you are embedded with unverified claims and a peddler of rumours. Do you have any evidence of a privacy breached by any company, software or otherwise?
Other than Facebook.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm Confused : Redmi Note8/nokia 5.3 And Umidigi A7 Pro / In Kenya, Airtel Offers 30gb For N1,750.95 / Another Free 600naira Go Claim Your Own Ooo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.