Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Sportsbet Hall, Pipeline Bus Stop, Ikotun: A Conglomeration Of Fools - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Sportsbet Hall, Pipeline Bus Stop, Ikotun: A Conglomeration Of Fools (428 Views)

Nairaland Guys Should Stop Being Fools, Just Look At What You Guys Did / Some Girls Think We Are Fools / American Shenenan Bitches Are Fools On poo(Am not An Attention Seeker) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sportsbet Hall, Pipeline Bus Stop, Ikotun: A Conglomeration Of Fools by GreaterFuture1(m): 11:13pm On May 02, 2020
Throwback to way before the Lockdown.

SPORTSBET HALL, PIPELINE, IKOTUN: A conglomeration of Fools

No Shanty or Shack comes close. Not the Ogogoro Joints, not the Pool House, not even Baba Ijebu's numerous Lotto Huts and Shops. SportsBet Hall at Pipeline building Ikotun beats them all hands down. A Heavyweight Champion in both structure and it's eclectic collection of Ignoramuses. Insecure semi-literates, Half-baked Graduates, Drunks, Philandering married men, Stark illiterates, Local touts, addicted gamblers at rock-bottom, aspiring millionaires... name it, SportsBet has it. 

An employee here has to have a PhD in patience, insight and tolerance, or not. Altercations between employees and customers is not unusual, sometimes even getting physical. A week does not go by without a member of staff engaging in some sort of shouting match with a customer or one of the regulars. Employees have serious scuffles amongst themselves too, and on two occasions that I was present, it was so serious that they had to be separated by others including we the regulars. As for the regulars/customers and visitors, they fight everyday. They fight over seats, over football opinions and all sorts, but the fight frequently over use of the booking computers.

The hall is open 7am - 9pm everyday of the week and most football matches are shown here live. They have nice chairs, standing and ceiling Fans, and at least 10 large Flat screen HD TVs. The hall is fairly large, and is better than most viewing centers around. Since Entry is free (18 yrs and above), it attracts a lot of people, closeby and not too closeby, like myself.

Almost everytime I come here, I see or here something that is not right. There was this particular day I was bombarded with so much ridiculousness, it got me wondering what my people have come to. That was the day Nigeria played against South Africa at the last Africa Nations Cup.

I remember it was a bit stormy that day. I was buying something at the entrance/Security post when the Guard told me told me to always take my cap off anytime it thundered. Why? Because it was God talking. I should show respect for the Almighty, Lightning and Thunder are the Voice of God. "No that is not true" I replied. "It is oh my guy, it is" another man said, calmly nodding his head. I said: 'OK,' left them and went into the hall.

I entered the Hall and sat with some familiar faces. One guy was narrating to the rest of the group the tale of the Nigeria vs India Match. He explained how Nigeria through the blood of Sam Okwaraji, won the match just in the nick of time, 1 goal to a 100 of the Indians. "Lol that's just a funny Fable na bro," I interjected. "No no no no no it happened, it was real," he retorted. I was speechless. I stood up, took my chair, left them and went to sit with another group.

Now these group of men were a very interesting set of people. They were all married and the youngest here would be in his late 30s. They were talking about how Lagos had changed, and how it now has very few good Brothels left unlike it did back in the 90's. "Most of them have shutdown, the few good ones with correct clean girls left are very expensive," one said in a tone of disappointment mixed with nostalgia, the rest of the group murmured in agreement. 

The conversation went on till it somehow veered to them listing top Yoruba actresses in the 'game'. They mentioned their different Prices Ranges, listed some influential men in the country that are their customers, the brand and specific model of Cars some drove and where some of them built their Mansions in Lagos. One man in the Group recanted that one time he was playing the talking drum at a party, and the breasts of popular Yoruba actress/Big Girl was touching his elbow as she sprayed him money. Apparently the 'point' in that flashback was that the actress in question was "high quality", this he had confirmed, and money was obviously not her problem, so any man that wants her must be a really rich man that is ready to spend a lot. I will not forget this day in a long time. 

I've seen and endured a lot here all because of free football. Was it the constant objectification of women at the last Women's World Cup. One time the ball hit the chest of a player, one fool shouted: "Breast cancer oh, beware of breast Cancer oh!". I felt like holding his throat and punching several blows of sense into his head. Someone told me that if at 31 years of age I am not yet married - or at least have a child - I'm wasting my life. There was a time I was told to "Shut up!" while stating facts, not my opinions, not my ideas, Facts. I remember one guy even got beat up for a mere teasing, this I felt happened not necessarily because of the teasing, but because his assaulter (who was also the person being teased) was a much bigger, stronger guy and was not just in a good mood at that moment

Many interesting characters are regulars here. We have the 40 Year Old Social/Political Commentator who would criticize Wole Soyinka, but sympathizes with Naira Marley, Supports Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Kunle Poly, Dino Melaye and is a big follower of Big Brother Naija. We have Gboys (Sakawa) who can not just lay low. The failed footballer who has now turned to another way - The SPORTSBET Way - to make his millions. 

One regular that stands out is a slim, short elderly man with a slight paralysis. When he is not doing SportsBet related stuff, he is either dancing Zanku to the amusement of regulars, talking about his life history and challenges or preaching the word of God to Us. 

As you may expect, People have said a lot of really crazy things here, ludicrously scary things. I sometimes try to correct them or reason with them, but my efforts are usually futile. This are a few of the phrases and Nonsenses I've heard here: "Only Poor men Drive Toyota Cars"; "AC causes Cancer"; "Money is an Evil Spirit"; "Poor people rarely fall Sick"; "Only Rich People get Serious Diseases"; "People who wear tattoos are Irresponsible".

Let me say at this point that SportsBet is not a den of Criminals or anything like that. Many football fans would like the energy here during major Leagues and tournament games. There are a sprinkle of cool guys here and there that drop by occasionally. SportsBet just attracts all manner of people because of its cool ambience, prompt cash out on Bet winnings and free Cable TV.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sportsbet Hall, Pipeline Bus Stop, Ikotun: A Conglomeration Of Fools by jumper524(m): 11:30pm On May 02, 2020
I go comment tomorrow morning after I finish reading the documentary..
Modified.

GreaterFuture1 : my guy you've spoken well there are many ignorant mofos who argue what they don't know and funny enough they have supporters who agree with them.

Well like minds attract, Na free match cos am.
Them full newspaper stand for my area.

Mynd44 this Na FP material..

5 Likes

Re: Sportsbet Hall, Pipeline Bus Stop, Ikotun: A Conglomeration Of Fools by brownemmanuel43(m): 11:43pm On May 02, 2020
Baba u are a good writer, i really enjoyed the article. Pls mention me next u post an article

4 Likes

Re: Sportsbet Hall, Pipeline Bus Stop, Ikotun: A Conglomeration Of Fools by GreaterFuture1(m): 10:57pm On May 03, 2020
jumper524:

Well like minds attract, Na free match cos am.
Them full newspaper stand for my area.

Lol

2 Likes

Re: Sportsbet Hall, Pipeline Bus Stop, Ikotun: A Conglomeration Of Fools by Heroclitus(m): 11:17pm On May 03, 2020
It's same at most football viewing centres too,I've heard so many rubbish that I do feel tempted to go see matches with my handfree...

You hear things like " Past footballers are overrated, I'm not convinced maradona was a better player than isco presently is"
Re: Sportsbet Hall, Pipeline Bus Stop, Ikotun: A Conglomeration Of Fools by Kevsmart88(m): 11:31pm On May 03, 2020
Exciting read...Really enjoyed it cos I can relate to everything you said. I used to manage one and believe me, it was fun all the way esp when the winnings came,how they bug me on phone as if I owe them millions,lol. You didn't add the ones that never have cash to stake but can convince you of the outcome of any stake all in a bid to see you stake for them too, or the ones who have the history of America's origin but have never crossed seme border, lol. What of the next bill gates, Elon musk and dangote who have the blueprint for success but have never made a million themselves, lol... The list is endless, i miss those days, was so much fun.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Can't Old People Operate Smartphones / Legal Help Needed / What Is Happening?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.