Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,403 members, 7,815,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Being Black In Berlin/germany - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Being Black In Berlin/germany (159425 Views)

Nigerian Man Stranded & Acting Unwell In Berlin. Do You Know Him? / Nigerian Embassy Staff In Berlin Sleeping With Women For Passport Renewal Caught / Deji Yesufu: Coronavirus, Cancelled Flights In Berlin, Nigerian Saves Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (95) (Go Down)

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:36pm On May 13, 2020

6 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 13, 2020

4 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 13, 2020
Lastly....

9 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by excanny: 3:43pm On May 13, 2020
Danielhouston:
Berlin in pictures.

This is Zoologischer Garten. It is a popular tourist location in Berlin because of the Berlin Zoo and the shopping street. It is a posh area to live in for working class people but most young people find it boring. It is always busy and has a large bus and train station.

Also there is Kurfürstendamm, a shopping street. That whole area is where you find most fashion companies, shops, event centers and mall. It is an equivalent of Victoria Island in Lagos. I remember a Nigerian musician shot a music video there and I remember seeing Genevieve (the actress) there.

It is one of the destinations for Christmas market and where you’ll find the best Christmas street decoration in Berlin. It is also where the terrorist attack happened in 2016, when an Arab guy drove a truck into a crowd of people at the Christmas market.

Find pictures below

Whao! This was a city the Russians once demolished to rubbles.

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by James4bright(m): 3:46pm On May 13, 2020
fieryy:

Hahaha, it's a pain in the ass sometimes because it's a lot of work, but thank you grin

It's worth it then. Even if I had severe headache, I'd never shave my hair.

As for racism, it doesn't really freak me out, human's are natural assholes. I just don't wanna get shot by a racist, that aspect gives me the creeps.

Just don't allow any white mofo get to you. The black race would always be far better, if only we weren't so poor.

5 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:53pm On May 13, 2020
Can the Admins of this page please do something about not being able to upload phone pictures without getting “file too large” It is honestly irritating. Nothing annoys me like incompetent technology. We’re in 2020 for heaven’s sake

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Ilerioluwa02: 3:56pm On May 13, 2020
Danielhouston:
Can the Admins of this page please do something about not being able to upload phone pictures without getting “file too large” It is honestly irritating. Nothing annoys me like incompetent technology. We’re in 2020 for heaven’s sake

If you're using Samsung, just take the pictures using Bixby Vision.. it'll automatically resize the image without losing too much details.

6 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 13, 2020
PS: I took all these photos with my phone and I own the copyright. Just incase any photo bloggers take the pictures to modify and post on their Instagram page without giving credit.

17 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by UrFears: 4:06pm On May 13, 2020
willy2000:

I won't' want to generalize, but for my field(CS), what I learned in Nigeria was not actually up to par. For example, I took a module called distributed systems, It is assumed that I am proficient in an OOP language, design patterns are also considered foundational prerequisites. If you don't have these, and attend the class, the discussions are always high level, because they do not only talk theoretical aspect but also practical application and implementation of ideas with real-life scenarios.
In Nigeria, data structure, for example, is taught theoretical, you as a student will not build an application to reinforce data structure concepts. You just read, cram, and pass the exams.
True Talk. So I have been checking out MSC courses on some Germany uni websites randomly, trying to compare there course Modules with what am doing here. Good thing is that some terms I see there are familiar to what am studying here, which is quite cool; I'm currently in my finals. So terms like Data structures & Algorithm, computational techniques, system Analysis, Expert System & AI, OOP, etc. I know about them theoretically but not Practically. Also, so far we did programming courses on Visual Basic, C++, C#, Phython, Java and Assembly Language, which I also know theoretically and a bit Practically cheesy.
And as a Good Nigerian Student that I am, it's to buy em' Lecturers assignment manuals, do and pass them back, then buy their textbooks, read from intro to finish and pass their exams grin, no one is going to ask you something that is not from their textbook. (As that's the system of Education in Nigeria angry). Imagine we don't even have a CSC lab, and em' NACOSS students ain't complaining, they are more interested in school politics.

Buh I know those courses are not thought same way in a more developed country like Germany. Meanwhile between MSC in main CS and Msc in Informatics, which is better, in terms of job prospects. I saw the courses on informatics are more mental friendly than main CS grin.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by willy2000(m): 4:21pm On May 13, 2020
UrFears:
True Talk. So I have been checking out MSC courses on some Germany uni websites randomly, trying to compare their course Modules with what am doing here. Good thing is that some terms I see there are familiar to what am studying here, which is quite cool; I'm currently in my finals. So terms like Data structures & Algorithm, computational techniques, system Analysis, Expert System & AI, OOP, etc. I know about them theoretically but not Practically. Also, so far we did programming courses on Visual Basic, C++, C#, Python, Java, and Assembly Language, which I also know theoretically and a bit theoretically cheesy.
Don't just know the theoretical aspect, grind yourself, and learn the practical aspect, build something, no matter how small. Those where the mistake I made in Nigeria.

And as a Good Nigerian Student that I am, it's to buy em' Lecturers assignment manuals, do and pass them back, then buy their textbooks, read from intro to finish and pass their exams grin, no one is going to ask you something that is not from their textbook. (As that's the system of Education in Nigeria angry). Imagine we don't even have a CSC lab, and em' NACOSS students ain't complaining, they are more interested in school politics.

Buh I know those courses are not thought the same way in a more developed country like Germany. M[b]eanwhile between MSC in the main CS and Msc in Informatics, which is better, in terms of job prospects. I saw the courses on informatics are more mental friendly than the main CS[/b] grin.
My advice will be to know your strengths and build on them. Any STEM course is marketable as long as you know what you are doing.

2 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by willy2000(m): 4:25pm On May 13, 2020
Danielhouston:

Didn't you read the part where the owner of this forum was asking if the upload size should be increased? Mehn I am so ashamed.
The thing is, this site is so outdated, and the owner doesn't seem to know the gold mine he has.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by lekkan(m): 4:29pm On May 13, 2020
Hey bro!! Kudos to the good job you're doing here
I applied for MSc Applied Computer Science at Deggendorf Institute of Technology.. Any idea about the school and life generally in Deggendorf? Cos I've not heard anyone talk about the place in the 22 pages of this thread..... You can suggest any school i can apply to for my MSc (IT and Computer science-related course) too as DIT is the only one I've applied to.

PS: Free tuition grin grin grin grin

thanks in anticipation
willy2000:

Don't just know the theoretical aspect, grind yourself, and learn the practical aspect, build something, no matter how small. Those where the mistake I made in Nigeria.

My advice will be to know your strengths and build on them. Any STEM course is marketable as long as you know what you are doing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by willy2000(m): 4:32pm On May 13, 2020
lekkan:
Hey bro!! Kudos to the good job you're doing here
I applied for MSc Applied Computer Science at Deggendorf Institute of Technology.. Any idea about the school and life generally in Deggendorf? Cos I've not heard anyone talk about the place in the 22 pages of this thread..... You can suggest any school i can apply to for my MSc (IT and Computer science-related course) too as DIT is the only one I've applied to.

PS: Free tuition grin grin grin grin

thanks in anticipation

Wrong thread, let us not derail this thread please ohh grin grin

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Mizwisdom(f): 4:42pm On May 13, 2020
olioxx:

��� That's just their mentality bro. "Life is a race" is one of their mantra. "You struggle or you die trying".
That is the spirit brother. You la real nigga. People need to fight against racism, either conscious or subconscious racism.
I appreciate your spirit.
I recommend reading the paper " Dimension of Racism" organized by OHCHR and UNESCO. That paper outlined all the articles of the Durban Conference.

Hehehe why are you calling him a Nigga? don't you know what it means?
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by UrFears: 5:09pm On May 13, 2020
willy2000:

Yea, am working on having a good portfolio.

Thanks alot

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 13, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Hehehe why are you calling him a Nigga? don't you know what it means?

It’s okay. He means it in a friendly way.

4 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by plat0: 6:06pm On May 13, 2020
cryI weep for Nigeria, the landscape is so clean and picturesque.

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Anonime1105(m): 6:09pm On May 13, 2020
Danielhouston:

I will not give all the information because this is a public forum and I want to remain anonymous. But before I left Nigeria, I saved my NYSC money every month and managed. I told my friends I wanted to travel, they laughed at me. But I was determined. I got international passport and just kept it, even though I had no means. Getting that Nigerian passport was my motivation every day.

I used my NYSC money to apply to schools. I applied to 27 schools, got rejected by all of them. My money finished. My friends said I was crazy but I didn’t give up. I used the last money I had to apply to another University but I didn’t give it any hope. I didn’t hear from them.

My spirit just told me to send the school an email about my application. I did and they replied. They said they offered me admission and sent me a letter since 3 months ago. And the school was about to resume. Turns out my letter was in Nipost. Stupid people threw it one corner.
I went to Nipost and begged them to look for it, gave the man money. He eventually found it after 2 weeks. Then it was late. I didn’t have money to travel anyway.

I emailed the school and they agreed to move my admission to the next semester. I was happy. Then I started hustling for money and selling property and praying. One rich Igbo man I used to greet and wash his car sometimes, one day he shook my hand and gave me money. I opened it and it was $600. I thought I was dreaming or he made mistake. But it was true. I knew it was God at work.

I eventually got enough money, went for interview, I didn’t know anything or anybody in Germany. Did all my research online every night. I was buying recharge card just solely for research. I did interview and kept hoping.
I was in Ikeja under bridge eating egg roll and drinking coke, when I got the message from German embassy to come with travel insurance. I knew it was visa. All the while, I didn’t tell anybody. I kept it all to myself.

I went on Facebook and joined apartment groups for people in Germany and found a room with some German guys before I left Nigeria. I went shopping, got my ticket. First time traveling abroad, I was sweating like Jackie. I changed my money at the airport. Before I boarded the plane, I went to toilet to sh*t out everything about Nigeria.

I arrived Dubai and took another flight to Frankfurt. Germany was so cold. I didn’t even know what train looked like or how to read signs. But thanks to my Android phone, google maps and translate showed me everything. I asked some people about the train and went to my city.

I used google maps to locate the flat and rang the bell. Met the German guys and they showed me my room. They said I’ll stay for 3 days then they’ll decide if they like me as a flat mate or not. They later liked me and I lived with them. They helped me with everything about registration, bank account, insurance, transport, they taught me everything. They even drove me to buy things for my room. I met their friends as well.
They took me to the stadium for the first time in my life, being in a stadium watching a match live.

I eventually went to my school and my life started from there. I made lots of mistakes and got lost many times in Germany. I suffered o. People used me and threw me out of their house. Even Nigerians. Even the Nigerian church I was attending, they helped me but they almost destroyed me.
Na here we dey today and the rest is history.

Thanks for this bro
You just fueled my motivation.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by James4bright(m): 6:37pm On May 13, 2020
Danielhouston:
For some reason, my classmates liked me. I don’t know why. I still had my Nigerian madness and rudeness and I was not afraid to call a b!tch out. Now I’m calmer like a German hahaha.

They always wanted me to sit by them. Even when we had to do group projects, they wanted me in their group. I was not even that smart and I mostly didn’t do anything. When I stopped going to class, everyone noticed, including the professors. That was when it hit me that it’s not good to show yourself. It’s always better to stay low-key.

The cafeteria food was white rice, potatoes, French fries, ketchup, macaroni, potato pie, cake, and some other bland nonsense. The big cafeteria is like a buffet. You walk around and take what you want, then you go to the cashier and pay. They weigh the food and charge you accordingly. You’d usually find a lot of people in the big cafeteria, noise making, eating and taking pictures. There also some small coffee and cake shops.

Just like every University, you’ll find people just hanging around doing big boy and feeling fly. The libraries are quiet. You can log into the computer with your student ID and password given to you by the IT department. You can also check your courses online, register for a class and check your result online. If a class has been postponed, it will be shared online, all on the specific website.

This is the best thing I've read. I love your confidence bro.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by lekkan(m): 6:44pm On May 13, 2020
I'm not I just need an insight about the city
You ever heard of that ne before? OP said he hasn't
willy2000:

Wrong thread, let us not derail this thread please ohh grin grin
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by frankmoney(m): 6:51pm On May 13, 2020
See as every where clean .. no littering
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Goodman247: 6:54pm On May 13, 2020
Drenimarcus:

Brother, even though I detest the Nigerian government, you should never use the “colonize” word. It is an insult to those who fought and demanded freedom.
are you really free in this shithole
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by seankafor(m): 7:18pm On May 13, 2020
Goodman247:
oga don't turn this place with your inferior complex comparisons..

Some people still make it and enjoy it in the so called place you call shithole..

If they tell you to pay tax now you go dey whine mouth...

No need for comparison here as our budgets isn't even the same..

3 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Deltayankeeboi: 7:33pm On May 13, 2020
Danielhouston:

I will not give all the information because this is a public forum and I want to remain anonymous. But before I left Nigeria, I saved my NYSC money every month and managed. I told my friends I wanted to travel, they laughed at me. But I was determined. I got international passport and just kept it, even though I had no means. Getting that Nigerian passport was my motivation every day.

I used my NYSC money to apply to schools. I applied to 27 schools, got rejected by all of them. My money finished. My friends said I was crazy but I didn’t give up. I used the last money I had to apply to another University but I didn’t give it any hope. I didn’t hear from them.

My spirit just told me to send the school an email about my application. I did and they replied. They said they offered me admission and sent me a letter since 3 months ago. And the school was about to resume. Turns out my letter was in Nipost. Stupid people threw it one corner.
I went to Nipost and begged them to look for it, gave the man money. He eventually found it after 2 weeks. Then it was late. I didn’t have money to travel anyway.

I emailed the school and they agreed to move my admission to the next semester. I was happy. Then I started hustling for money and selling property and praying. One rich Igbo man I used to greet and wash his car sometimes, one day he shook my hand and gave me money. I opened it and it was $600. I thought I was dreaming or he made mistake. But it was true. I knew it was God at work.

I eventually got enough money, went for interview, I didn’t know anything or anybody in Germany. Did all my research online every night. I was buying recharge card just solely for research. I did interview and kept hoping.
I was in Ikeja under bridge eating egg roll and drinking coke, when I got the message from German embassy to come with travel insurance. I knew it was visa. All the while, I didn’t tell anybody. I kept it all to myself.

I went on Facebook and joined apartment groups for people in Germany and found a room with some German guys before I left Nigeria. I went shopping, got my ticket. First time traveling abroad, I was sweating like Jackie. I changed my money at the airport. Before I boarded the plane, I went to toilet to sh*t out everything about Nigeria.

I arrived Dubai and took another flight to Frankfurt. Germany was so cold. I didn’t even know what train looked like or how to read signs. But thanks to my Android phone, google maps and translate showed me everything. I asked some people about the train and went to my city.

I used google maps to locate the flat and rang the bell. Met the German guys and they showed me my room. They said I’ll stay for 3 days then they’ll decide if they like me as a flat mate or not. They later liked me and I lived with them. They helped me with everything about registration, bank account, insurance, transport, they taught me everything. They even drove me to buy things for my room. I met their friends as well.
They took me to the stadium for the first time in my life, being in a stadium watching a match live.

I eventually went to my school and my life started from there. I made lots of mistakes and got lost many times in Germany. I suffered o. People used me and threw me out of their house. Even Nigerians. Even the Nigerian church I was attending, they helped me but they almost destroyed me.
Na here we dey today and the rest is history.
I didn't start reading from page one, I just want to know if you went there for your Masters?
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by sexylassie2(f): 7:34pm On May 13, 2020
Danielhouston:

it is not about incompetency or admin problem, it takes cash to increase bandwidth on web hosting.

you buy bandwidth by gb, apart from the big web companies, many websites do not allow users to upload files that are large.

3 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Deltayankeeboi: 7:35pm On May 13, 2020
frankmoney:
See as every where clean .. no littering

Swear to God. The environment is so cool.

No single earth or mud on the road.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Drenimarcus(m): 7:45pm On May 13, 2020
Goodman247:

Me no deh shithole.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 13, 2020
Deltayankeeboi:
I didn't start reading from page one, I just want to know if you went there for your Masters?

Yeah for masters
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Deltayankeeboi: 8:25pm On May 13, 2020
Danielhouston:

Yeah for masters
Congrats.
You are already on the great path to success.
I envy you positively.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Firefox01: 8:26pm On May 13, 2020
Drenimarcus:

Me no deh shithole.
I'm eagerly awaiting your thread bro. Give us something as sweet as Lionlee and Blowjobs thread. wink

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 13, 2020
Deltayankeeboi:

Congrats.

You are already on the great path to success.

I envy you positively.

Thank you. I hope people get inspired and know that they can achieve anything they want, no matter who you are and what you have right now. It is possible.

I was bullied all my life by family and friends, dem beat me tire, they even called me a snail because I was so slow. But my behavior was a result of the bullying and abuse. My parents said I would never amount to nothing. I’ve seen hunger, I’ve cried. There were days I would wake up and wish I had died in my sleep.

It took me 2 years of planning to leave Nigeria. I saved every naira, got information, and never gave up. I got rejected by 27 schools and never stopped trying. I didn’t even know anybody in Europe but I knew I would survive.

I was 26yrs when I left Naija. Now I’m 32+ and I’m a man of my own. I pay my bills, travel the world and can do anything I want. All the people that bullied me, now they look up to me. Nothing happens in my family unless I give my opinion. That “snail” has become a leader, by God’s grace. So I hope people reading this can know that they can do it. Whether abroad or in Nigeria.

Instead of spending time on Linda Ikeji blog arguing and cursing Bobrisky, use that data and time to research how you can achieve things. I will do my best to share all the information I can with you guys. Thank you and stay positive.

113 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by justwise(m): 9:03pm On May 13, 2020
Danielhouston:

maximum size: 4MB for pictures, i actually thought that your pictures are big enough.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (95)

Tell Us About The City Where You Live / A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.