Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,744 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Being Black In Berlin/germany - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Being Black In Berlin/germany (159414 Views)

Nigerian Man Stranded & Acting Unwell In Berlin. Do You Know Him? / Nigerian Embassy Staff In Berlin Sleeping With Women For Passport Renewal Caught / Deji Yesufu: Coronavirus, Cancelled Flights In Berlin, Nigerian Saves Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (95) (Go Down)

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 10:46am On May 14, 2020
darfay:

Is east Germany still lagging behind the west and are east Germans poorer. Do they still share sentiments among themselves Even minor one if at all
Plus I hear Turkish and Polish population in Germany are ridiculously high

East is not necessarily poorer than the West but most companies and industries are in the West, South and Northern Germany. Which means you’ll likely get better jobs in those areas. And the East is also mostly cheaper to live in for that same reason and being that it’s not a tourist/foreigners hotspot. But I won’t classify them as “poor”

They are also not lagging behind. They have as much information, infrastructure and benefits as every part of Germany. Also, just because it is “East” does not mean everyone there is racist or still carries the burden of Hitler. Some people live there by choice, some were born there and never moved.

About sentiments, all parts of Germany hold sentiments against each other. People in the South don’t like Berlin or Berliners and vice versa. People in the West think they’re better Germans, South think they are richer and others are inferior. East Germans blame everyone for their problems.
The reason the skin heads are in the East is because of the lack of immigration in that area. They believe it’s the only place they can be as German as possible, without interference from foreigners.

Funny enough, when you meet a German from the East, they’re usually very likable and more interested in foreigners than other Germans. You’re more likely to have a solid relationship or even marriage with an East German.
Part of that is because they lost everything in the war and they learned to live with nothing. It makes them feel inferior and not boastful like other Germans. They are also easy to control.

Yeah Turkish population is part of Germany. They helped rebuild Germany after the war and they stayed back. Polish too and many Germans have Polish origins.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 11:06am On May 14, 2020
GreatSage:
Danielhouston, I sincerely appreciate ur work on this thread. God bless u.
Concerning ur story of "getting rejected by 27 schools" u applied to, can you pls shed some light on why u were rejected?

I graduated with a GPA of 3.47 and some Universities didn’t think it was good enough for the courses I was applying for. I think most of the rejection was because I was applying to even courses that were not related to my degree and some of them were very competitive.
I can’t really say why I was rejected because they didn’t tell me why. They just denied me. I can’t remember all the details. I was desperate.
I’m thankful that I was not admitted to a stupid racist city, with how desperate I was, I could have accepted anything. God sure saved the best for me.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Deltayankeeboi: 11:18am On May 14, 2020

19 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Acuna91: 11:44am On May 14, 2020
Danielhouston:

The reason the skin heads are in the East is because of the lack of immigration in that area. They believe it’s the only place they can be as German as possible, without interference from foreigners.

Is Berlin not part of East Germany?

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 12:02pm On May 14, 2020
Acuna91:

Is Berlin not part of East Germany?

Berlin is not really classified as East Germany because of its history and the Berlin Wall which separated it. That’s why we have East and West Berlin. East Berlin would be classified as East Germany because it was part of the GDR. The west, not. Hence why the skin heads are in East Berlin.

Also the population plays a role in that. Imagine Lagos for example. People often forget Lagos is a Yoruba state because of how inclusive it is. You won’t compare it to Osun State or Ogun state.

12 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 14, 2020
Deltayankeeboi:
I just feel very bad each day waking up in Nigeria.

Things are really messed up here.

Nothing really motivates me anymore.

10 million to start a business, I will rather use that cash to travel out legally.

If I had the ideas I have now two years ago. I would not be in Nigeria today.

Now I understand what people actually mean by "the earlier the better" and "had I known"

God help me achieve this dream again. cry

Let me sound like my American friends: Let it all out baby, let it out. Speak on it. It’s gon be alright

15 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by omobamatrix: 12:53pm On May 14, 2020
Hello @Danielhouston good to know you are doing well amidst the pandemic! I want to know how you guys are graded over there and how can your final grade affect your job search?

3 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by GreatSage: 12:53pm On May 14, 2020
Danielhouston:

I graduated with a GPA of 3.47 and some Universities didn’t think it was good enough for the courses I was applying for. I think most of the rejection was because I was applying to even courses that were not related to my degree and some of them were very competitive.
I can’t really say why I was rejected because they didn’t tell me why. They just denied me. I can’t remember all the details. I was desperate.
I’m thankful that I was not admitted to a stupid racist city, with how desperate I was, I could have accepted anything. God sure saved the best for me.
Thanks so much for ur open-mindedness.

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by magnificinth: 2:03pm On May 14, 2020
Thanks for this. I have been looking for this

amikable97:

Hello,
All questions concerning studying in Germany and the cost has been answered here https://www.nairaland.com/5621308/part-8 and in previous parts
Let's try to maintain this thread for questions concerning living and surviving in Berlin/Germany
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by willy2000(m): 2:37pm On May 14, 2020
omobamatrix:
Hello @Danielhouston good to know you are doing well amidst the pandemic! I want to know how you guys are graded over there and how can your final grade affect your job search?
Grades are quite high here.

(1.0) – outstanding (A+) >= 95%
(1.3) – very good (A) 94-91%
(1.7 to 2.3) – good, seen as a relatively good result (A- to B) 81-90%
(2.7 to 3.3) – satisfactory (B- to C) 66-80%
(3.7 to 4.0) – sufficient (D) 50-65%
(5.0) – fail, no certificate issued (F) 0-49%

The above is what is obtainable in Bavaria. I don't know if other cities use the same grading system.

I doubt if your final grade affects your job search, I did not present my certificate during my job search. What prospective employers look at is your CV, but there is an exception to this. If you are applying to big companies, they usually indicate what they want on the job advert.
Your grades become important if you are moving from BSc. -> MSc. or MSc. -> Ph.D.

6 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by amikable97: 2:45pm On May 14, 2020
lekkan:
I'm not I just need an insight about the city
You ever heard of that ne before? OP said he hasn't

Ask the question here https://www.nairaland.com/1349729/nigerian-students-germany..how-survive that's the appropriate thread some people have also answered some questions regarding that
You can also check this thread https://www.nairaland.com/5818148/life-munich-germany
The OP is schooling in Deggendorf

3 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by gjugcvbnu(f): 3:37pm On May 14, 2020
odinga1of:

Madam go to the German students thread with your questions.
Guy are you blind...cos i mentioned Daniel not Odin whatever...why do you guys love disgracing yourself up and down...smh
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by lekkan(m): 4:41pm On May 14, 2020
Thanks so much
amikable97:

Ask the question here https://www.nairaland.com/1349729/nigerian-students-germany..how-survive that's the appropriate thread some people have also answered some questions regarding that
You can also check this thread https://www.nairaland.com/5818148/life-munich-germany
The OP is schooling in Deggendorf
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 14, 2020
Topics we will talk about next week, by the grace of God:

Asylum in Germany (how to apply, what to expect, life as a refugee, and life after).

Types of Black people in Germany (the good, the bad, the weird and the ugly).

Working in Germany (life as a worker, what to expect, your colleagues, and being black)

How to make and save money as a student in Germany (I know a lot of you will stay awake for this one).

Common crimes that have landed black people in prison in Germany (and how to avoid them)

More pictures....

Other topics as I think of them....

PS: there are many things I want to say but I can’t, for the sake of the authorities spying on this thread. Make we no open our nyash for oyibo to know as we dey move.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 14, 2020
Are there people who have successfully traveled out of Nigeria with the information they gathered from Nairaland? There’s a lot helpful information on this forum, so I’m curious

Did they return to Nairaland after they traveled out?

5 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Anonime1105(m): 5:22pm On May 14, 2020
olioxx:

That is the spirit. I keep telling folks that if peradventure you find yourself learning / studying a STEM course DONT and I repeat DONT based only on theory, but imbue yourself doing practicals. You learn better that way.
When you do something you learn best, because in future you remember that you did that thing, and you might even remember how you did.
Many of my Programmer friends on GitHub and BitBucket are self taught, and these guys are churning out amazing codes.
It is good to have general knowledge, but it BEST to specialize your knowledge, because when you specialize your knowledge, you know what tools, programming language(s), software frameworks to use.
Another thing I recommend is to participate in Open Source(GitHub / BitBucket), write a blog on your skills, attend conferences, participate in hackathons, if possible take algorithmic contests.
You get jobs easily, and it also helps with your portfolio.

This is the bomb

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by UrRealG: 5:23pm On May 14, 2020
Danielhouston:
Are there people who have successfully traveled out of Nigeria with the information they gathered from Nairaland? There’s a lot helpful information on this forum, so I’m curious

Yes so many. Here on travel section

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Acuna91: 5:27pm On May 14, 2020
Danielhouston:

Asylum in Germany (how to apply, what to expect, life as a refugee, and life after).

Working in Germany (life as a worker, what to expect, your colleagues, and being black)

How to make and save money as a student in Germany (I know a lot of you will stay awake for this one).

Common crimes that have landed black people in prison in Germany (and how to avoid them)

More pictures....

PS: there are many things I want to say but I can’t, for the sake of the authorities spying on this thread. Make we no open our nyash for oyibo to know as we dey move.
God bless man. This will be definitely an interesting topic, I can't wait.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by heniford2: 6:54pm On May 14, 2020
Danielhouston:

More pictures....

was about to say the same thing oh Asin limit some stuff oh as dem done ban Ghana make them no ban Nigeria too for Asylum Abeg oh oyibo too dey google too

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 14, 2020
heniford2:
was about to say the same thing oh Asin limit some stuff oh as dem done ban Ghana make them no ban Nigeria too for Asylum Abeg oh oyibo too dey google too

Lol. That is the purpose of human rights. They cannot make laws or ban people because of an online gossip. Whatever they read here is useless to them, except I’m teaching people how to commit crimes. There are so many blogs online with even more information than I’m sharing with you guys. Yet we still dey travel.
Besides, Nigerians have very little chance of getting Asylum anyway.

3 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by error4040: 7:19pm On May 14, 2020
Danielhouston:

Majority of them start with lots of Energy just like you but end up abandoning it and never heard from Again

Starting from:
Franknetter(USA)
Blowjobs(USA)
Touchifoto(russia)
Ibrahimovic3(Finland)
FA13(China)
Ukmigrańt(uk)

Them plenty!!!!
We just hope say you sef no go vanish undecided

20 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (95)

Tell Us About The City Where You Live / A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.