Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,875 members, 7,821,043 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Being Black In Berlin/germany - Travel (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Being Black In Berlin/germany (159875 Views)

Nigerian Man Stranded & Acting Unwell In Berlin. Do You Know Him? / Nigerian Embassy Staff In Berlin Sleeping With Women For Passport Renewal Caught / Deji Yesufu: Coronavirus, Cancelled Flights In Berlin, Nigerian Saves Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (95) (Go Down)

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Daejoyoung: 12:05pm On Jul 12, 2020
themaestro08:

Scaremongers have completely succeed in misleading you with their inaccurate and extreme rhetoric.

Let's be clear here, racism in Germany is not as bad as as this guys exaggerate.
Exactly.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Braket: 12:26pm On Jul 12, 2020
Spanishmilf:
guy. Why u no update your thread. U killed it yourself bro. Come back
Back back back!!!
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Goodman247: 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2020
Danielhouston:
Types of Black people in Germany

1. The “Johnny just come”. These ones just landed in Germany for the first time. In most cases, their first time ever traveling abroad. You will know them by the way they dress and how they take pictures every minute.
The ones from Nigeria, Congo, Ivory Coast, those ones can dress up for Jesus. The Ghanaians usually dress like they just jumped out of 1975 and nobody warned them. But I’ll focus on Nigerian students.

These ones think they’re Wizkid. They wear different shoes every day and their wrist watch must stick out. They must make sure there’s a white person in the background of all their pictures. They don’t want to hang with other Nigerians or be around other Black people.
They only want to make white friends and they can’t wait to get a white girlfriend. Some of them have only one black friend who takes them pictures.

They also speak with fake accent and they’re too ashamed to say they’re from Nigeria. You will see them in every University party and Campus photo, and they’re usually the only Black person in the group photo. They like to dance and show off for their white friends. They see other Nigerians as local people with low IQ, and they’ll almost never go to an African shop to buy anything.

They want to do things their white friends do. Like, go bike riding, travel at the weekend, play ping-pong, pizza night, etc. You know Germans think every black person who dresses well and speaks good English, is from America. These type of Black people always get excited when people mistake them to be Americans.

One day I met a Nigerian guy who had British accent. He almost fooled me. I didn’t even know he was Nigerian until his friends introduced us. Even the way he pronounced his name “Emeka”, with a foreign accent, it sounded so cute.

I thought he was born in the UK, but this guy had never been to the UK. He just arrived from Nigeria with a British accent. He told his friends that Nigerians speak with British accent because we were colonized by the British. They believed him.
At that point I was ready to throw beer on his head.
hahahahaha,na so na, anything that will make whiti accept you is welcomed
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Goodman247: 12:43pm On Jul 12, 2020
Danielhouston:
Then there are the Edo girls from Nigeria. These ones just arrived from Italy and don’t know where they’re going. They are always lost, looking for direction. You will see them at the bus station or train station, asking for directions.

When you see that Edo girl that stops you on the road like, “hello brother, pls how can I go to this place?”, you already know what she came for. In most cases, they’ll tell you their life story. “Somebody put me in the bus and say I should go here, but I don’t know when am I”.
That “somebody” is usually a man and they’ll even call the man so you can talk to him. He bought their ticket and they probably work for him.

The last one I met was in January. She was supposed to go to Hamburg and she got off in Berlin. She didn’t know where to go. I told her she needed another bus to Hamburg and she was in the wrong city. But then, she’d have to buy a ticket. Her “brother” bought the ticket and sent to her. She stressed me out that day.

She eventually asked me if she could follow me home. I replied her in my Chinese accent “no no no no, me no want, me no want”.
hahahahaha
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 12, 2020
Dande55:

Please Daniel, did you get work experience in Nigeria before travelling to Germany? Does having work experience in Nigeria give special leverage when searching for jobs in Germany?

Yes it does. It depends on the job and whether or not you studied in Germany. My only work experience in Nigeria was NYSC and the rest na hustle. The kind of hustle you cannot put on CV.
For my current job, it didn’t matter because I studied in Germany and they only cared about my degree. But when I worked as a student assistant during my studies, my NYSC teaching experience, helped me get the job.

If you studied in Germany, you can get a job even without previous work experience. But it does help if you have work experience in Nigeria or anywhere else. Yes, the employers ask about it. German companies are mostly focused on your degree and knowledge of German language. International companies focus on your degree and previous work experience.

The answer to this is subjective. It was not important for some people when they got their job, and it helped some people when they got their job. But generally, it does help to have previous work experience and/or other professional certificates. People from other countries, usually have lots previous work experience listed on their CV. Especially people in IT and engineering.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Dande55: 2:36pm On Jul 12, 2020
Danielhouston:

Yes it does. It depends on the job and whether or not you studied in Germany. My only work experience in Nigeria was NYSC and the rest na hustle. The kind of hustle you cannot put on CV.
For my current job, it didn’t matter because I studied in Germany and they only cared about my degree. But when I worked as a student assistant during my studies, my NYSC teaching experience, helped me get the job.

If you studied in Germany, you can get a job even without previous work experience. But it does help if you have work experience in Nigeria or anywhere else. Yes, the employers ask about it. German companies are mostly focused on your degree and knowledge of German language. International companies focus on your degree and previous work experience.

The answer to this is subjective. It was not important for some people when they got their job, and it helped some people when they got their job. But generally, it does help to have previous work experience and/or other professional certificates. People from other countries, usually have lots previous work experience listed on their CV. Especially people in IT and engineering.

Wooow!! Very insightful.
Thank you so much
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Haykins2115(m): 2:36pm On Jul 12, 2020
Daejoyoung:

Lecturer in Berlin? it's possible though if you go through the PhD route.
alright thanks
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 12, 2020
SusanDaves069:

Good day Daniel. Thank you for such an amazing thread. Been a fan from day 1.

Please I’d like you to share your personal view on this.

I have B.sc in economics, just concluded my nysc (my ppa was in a secondary school ).
I’m not really good at math and I know you studied economics.
Pls, What economics courses would you suggest I go for, and what are my chances with just my nysc work experience.

It’s been a long time since I studied and I can’t remember the courses. But if you’re not good at maths, then you should look into courses that are more on the social science side, than business. But I really think you cannot avoid maths during your studies. Even if you select courses without maths, there’ll be a compulsory course that involves maths.

6 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by SaintHilary(m): 3:13pm On Jul 12, 2020
Damnnnn!! OP is a real Nigarrr

Unfortunately gotten to the most sad part of every travel thread >> the point you get to the end and have to start waiting for updates from the OP>>

This particular thread to me has just one rival travel thread on Nairaland. we hopeful travelanders will therefore find out with this poll..

Like for..Diary of a Village Boy in America

Share for...Being Black In Germany

T/C >> This poll only applies to those who read both threads. And the Poll Officially Closes 01/01/2021.

13 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by SusanDaves069(f): 3:20pm On Jul 12, 2020
Danielhouston:

It’s been a long time since I studied and I can’t remember the courses. But if you’re not good at maths, then you should look into courses that are more on the social science side, than business. But I really think you cannot avoid maths during your studies. Even if you select courses without maths, there’ll be a compulsory course that involves maths.

Heads-up Susan!!!
Thanks for being very blunt Daniel.
By the way, Don’t stop giving us undiluted info about Germany , we need all the info we can get.
Stay blessed and have a great week.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by lekkan(m): 3:29pm On Jul 12, 2020
grin grin angry grin
You don't need all these( O need gbogbo eleyi na)
KO neccesstry
SaintHilary:

Unfortunately gotten to the most sad part of every travel thread >> "the point you get to the end and have to start waiting for updates from the OP"

This particular thread to me has just one rival travel thread on Nairaland. we therefore will find out with this poll..

T/C >> This poll only applies to those who read both threads. And the Poll Officially Closes 01/01/2021.

4 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by SaintHilary(m): 3:34pm On Jul 12, 2020
lekkan:
grin grin angry grin
You don't need all these( O need gbogbo eleyi na)
KO neccesstry
grin grin grin grin
The thread too sweet jare..We gats carry Our Ronaldo Vs Messi Vibe everywhere we go cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 12, 2020
Sunday rant. The weather has been terrible this year. For the first time since I’ve been living in Germany, I have complaints about the weather.
We’re supposed to be enjoying summer with hot sun, but it is cold. So cold that I had to wear my winter jacket last night. Very strange in July.

Summer in Germany is usually very sunny and vibrant. It is a season everyone loves. People come out of their hole to explore things and have a good time. People are also happier in summer. I always look forward to summer, but this year has been a mess.

The sun in summer is usually very hot. As hot as Nigeria. Last year it was so hot that I felt like I was living in Kano. People buy standing fan in summer, to cope with the heat.
Apartments in Germany don’t come with fan hanging from the ceiling and you cannot break your wall to install anything. Infact, you need permission to break even a small part of any wall. Knocking a small hole in your wall, can cause problems between you and your Landlord, and you risk part of your deposit.

Back to the weather, it is cold now and gets even colder at night. This is very uncommon in the month of July. It usually gets cold from end of September. First it gets hot from May, hotter in July and hottest in August to mid September. Nigerian sun kind of hot. But with fresh air.
Then on the last day of summer (September 22), there’s a heavy rain fall that ushers in the cold. Ruthless cold. The kind of cold that feels like there’s no blood flowing in your body and you can’t feel your fingers.

See next post for Summer in Berlin...

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 12, 2020
Summer in Berlin is like no other. It’s like, all the mad people just got released into the streets and they couldn’t wait to show off. This is when you see the most crazy things and weird fashion. All kinds of hairstyles, including the one standing like a tree.

Germany is not like the USA where guys walk around shirtless and girls wear bra and bikini, like we see in movies. In Germany, people cover up. Girls don’t dress half naked. You could see those things during festivals and events but generally, they are covered up. You could see shirtless guys chilling at the park but most guys are covered up as well.

The common fashion for Berlin men in summer is shorts. Bum shorts, skinny shorts, sports shorts, pampers shorts, you name it. Everybody is showing off their thick, hairy legs with socks and sneakers. Yes, socks is fashion over here. Especially white socks and sneakers.
Girls mostly wear sleeveless shirts and tank tops with jeans and sneakers. Some of them wear flowing gowns that are for summer. If you’re looking to see big booty and boobs, you’re wasting your time.

Summer is also when you smell all kinds of body odor. God help you in the train and bus, when it’s full. I’ve personally held my own campaign to beg people to shower and use deodorant in summer. A lot of them smell fine but some of them smell really bad. So bad that you feel like throwing a bucket of perfume on them.

It is also a season for the hipsters. My God, they come out in numbers during summer. You’ll know them from their fashion. Some with earrings everywhere, including their lips. Some people cut their ears wide open and insert huge earrings there. You’ll be wondering how they sleep with that heavy thing. It looks very inconvenient, just by looking at it and you’re not even the one wearing it. Well, they love it and they sleep well, so they say.

22 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 12, 2020
Summer is also when people eat out and have picnics. Germans eat out, every time for the year but summer is special. The bars are open and busy, people sitting outside, drinking and chatting, some chilling at the park, some on the street, drinking while walking and playing music from speakers.

There’s a Döner place in Berlin called “Mustafa Kebab”. Döner is similar to sharwarma (you can google for pictures). There are lots of Döner shops in Berlin. Infact, Döner is more common than any restaurant or bar. You’ll find a Döner shop at every corner.
This Mustafa is a special kind of Döner. He has done a good job at convincing the people that his Döner is made from heaven. People line up for 2 hours, just to get Mustafa döner. Something you’ll eat and finish in 5 minutes and won’t be satisfied. Yet, people stand in line for hours to buy it. It has become so popular that every tourist coming to Berlin, wants to try it.

The day I ate it, I wanted my money back. I was angry. I could have just gone to another Döner shop and moved on with my life, than standing for 2 hours to buy that nonsense. But you know white people, when they want something, you can’t tell them anything. If they believe in it, they will go for it.
Mustafa has branches around Berlin but people like to go to the one in Mehringdamm. The shop burned down this year and he rebuilt so fast. It is a tourist trap.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Provoker(m): 4:42pm On Jul 12, 2020
Danielhouston:
I see we’re almost at 50,000 views. Who are the people reading this thread? Are they ghosts or something? Are there really 46,000 people viewing the thread? Jehovah
I just have to appreciate this thread, the views are real and most of us ghost so as not to derail the thread. You're doing a fantastic Job Daniel Houston.

10 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 12, 2020
Summer is the best time of the year in Berlin. Lots of music festivals, open air concerts, and carnivals. There is “Carnival of cultures” in Berlin and it usually happens around this time of the year. It is similar to Notting hill carnival in London. Different countries have parades and show off their cultures. It is a huge thing and lasts throughout the weekend.

There is also something called “Stadtfest” in Germany and every city has their own. It is a city festival, where they have musicians and have free open air concerts, food, markets, and other activities. They also have carnival equipment and playgrounds for kids and adults. Toys, games, roller coasters, etc. The day I sat in that roller coaster, all the food I ate since 1989 almost dropped from my mouth.

During these festivals, the police are everywhere and alert. They ensure maximum safety and use great technology. Sometimes you may not have service on your phone. They don’t disturb anybody. They’re just focused on maintaining peace and safety. When the events are over, they can also ask people to leave certain areas.

If you don’t experience Berlin in the summer, you’ve not experienced Berlin. We have a park called “Mauer park” and it is usually full on Sundays. Up to 40,000 people come there to chill and relax. There are markets, live bands, DJs, acrobatics, basket ball, skating, all kinds of things. There’s also a huge karaoke hosted by an Irish guy. This one is very popular. So many people, watching and laughing. Some people come out to sing and we laugh or join in.

It is so entertaining. If you want to sing, you raise your hand and he picks you. Sometimes you see some really annoying singers and some group of girls who always come out to sing “I’m a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world..:.” Then you see some Black people who come out to sing and dance and everyone is screaming.
One thing is for sure, they’ll always sing Beyoncé.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 12, 2020
Then there are the grumpy people. These ones are usually old German women. All they do is complain. Everything annoys them and everybody is too loud for them.

If your dog sh*ts on the ground and you don’t pick the sh*t, get ready to hear their opinion. If you ride your bicycle on the sidewalk, they will tell you how they feel. Even in the hot sun and terrible heat, if you try to open the window in the train or bus for fresh air, you’ll see them shouting as if somebody pulled their wig. They will close the windows in the train and tell you they have fear of whatever...

They also complain about noise at the park. Their house is 2km away but they’ll still complain that the music is disturbing them. They constantly call the police on people at Mauer park, for noise complaints. Instead of them to live in a quiet area where they can have peace of mind, they live right in the middle of fun activities and try to spoil the fun for everybody. The police always caters to them.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by evergreen9: 5:11pm On Jul 12, 2020
Danielhouston:
Then there are the grumpy people. These ones are usually old German women. All they do is complain. Everything annoys them and everybody is too loud for them.

If your dog sh*ts on the ground and you don’t pick the sh*t, get ready to hear their opinion. If you ride your bicycle on the sidewalk, they will tell you how they feel. Even in the hot sun and terrible heat, if you try to open the window in the train or bus for fresh air, you’ll see them shouting as if somebody pulled their wig. They will close the windows in the train and tell you they have fear of whatever...

They also complain about noise at the park. Their house is 2km away but they’ll still complain that the music is disturbing them. They constantly call the police on people at Mauer park, for noise complaints. Instead of them live in a quiet area where they can have peace of mind, they live in right in the middle of fun activities and try to spoil the fun for everybody. The police always caters to them.

Lol so "Karen's" dey for Germany sef.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by James4bright(m): 6:17pm On Jul 12, 2020
Danielhouston:

They also complain about noise at the park. Their house is 2km away but they’ll still complain that the music is disturbing them. They constantly call the police on people at Mauer park, for noise complaints. Instead of them live in a quiet area where they can have peace of mind, they live in right in the middle of ing activities and try to spoil the fun for everybody. The police always caters to them.

Imagine a white old granny wailing at you to close the window of a train, I know this would offend a good number of my Nigerian brothers.

They would probably be like, "She's racist". We blacks always feel attacked at the slightest of a white person's provocation.

And lastly, do white women obsess over riches same way our Nigerian women do? Lol

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 12, 2020
James4bright:

Imagine a white old granny wailing at you to close the window of a train, I know this would offend a good number of my Nigerian brothers.

They would probably be like, "She's racist". We blacks always feel attacked at the slightest of a white person's provocation.

And lastly, do white women obsess over riches same way our Nigerian women do? Lol

The window thing is quite common. It has nothing to do with racism and it’s not an attack. They just tell you to close it or they close it themselves. Sometimes they leave it open. They don’t call police on black people here, like they do in the US. Germans mind their business.

Yes, some white women obsess about riches here. The rich people show off for other rich people. They buy expensive things, live Porsche lifestyles and dine in expensive restaurants. But the show off is for their friends.
Generally, almost everyone is comfortable and the gap between the rich and poor, is not so wide. You won’t know who has so much money and who is poor, because they dress the same. You’ll only know from their lifestyle.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Grateful007: 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2020
Awesome thread
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Bobby95(m): 7:44pm On Jul 12, 2020
If i no open dis thread atleast twice a day, wetin i gain? If i no enta germany, wetin i gain?

5 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2020
Bobby95:
If i no open dis thread atleast twice a day, wetin i gain? If i no enta germany, wetin i gain?

Nothing bro. grin

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Richdee1(m): 11:01pm On Jul 12, 2020
SaintHilary:

Unfortunately gotten to the most sad part of every travel thread >> the point you get to the end and have to start waiting for updates from the OP>>

This particular thread to me has just one rival travel thread on Nairaland. we hopeful travelanders will therefore find out with this poll..

please drop the link to the 1st thread
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by segzyndpep(m): 12:39am On Jul 13, 2020
Danielhouston:

I am an interior designer with good potfolio.
I have been executing project since 2015 and my company
is registered.I want to migrate to Germany via study pathway.
Kindly advice which course i can do for MSC.
NOTE:My first degree is Industrial chemistry but i hate chemistry
Therefore,i can not do anything related to chemistry.
Can i get something under construction or interior design?

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by evergreen9: 7:18pm On Jul 13, 2020
Danielhouston:

The window thing is quite common. It has nothing to do with racism and it’s not an attack. They just tell you to close it or they close it themselves. Sometimes they leave it open. They don’t call police on black people here, like they do in the US. Germans mind their business.

Yes, some white women obsess about riches here. The rich people show off for other rich people. They buy expensive things, live Porsche lifestyles and dine in expensive restaurants. But the show off is for their friends.
Generally, almost everyone is comfortable and the gap between the rich and poor, is not so wide. You won’t know who has so much money and who is poor, because they dress the same. You’ll only know from their lifestyle.

What's housing like in Berlin? Can i send you a pm? want to make some inquiries.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by dualprince0280: 8:49pm On Jul 13, 2020
Good jab,Oga Daniel,can someone combine white collar job with Buz,in Germany?meaning can I b working with a company in field of study and also register my company to transact as a businessman simultaneously? kind regerds
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Daejoyoung: 9:42pm On Jul 13, 2020
segzyndpep:

I am an interior designer with good potfolio.
I have been executing project since 2015 and my company
is registered.I want to migrate to Germany via study pathway.
Kindly advice which course i can do for MSC.
NOTE:My first degree is Industrial chemistry but i hate chemistry
Therefore,i can not do anything related to chemistry.
Can i get something under construction or interior design?

You can search for design courses generally on daad.de. You check for Bachelor's in Design first, because you have a degree not related to Design, and so getting a masters program directly would be difficult, but you can still check for the requirements of various schools ( Masters and Bachelors) on daad.de.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Daejoyoung: 9:42pm On Jul 13, 2020
evergreen9:

What's housing like in Berlin? Can i send you a pm? want to make some inquiries.
Usually very expensive. Berlin, Munich, and Frankfurt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Daejoyoung: 9:46pm On Jul 13, 2020
Great thread. I must add that before travelling to Germany, it would be helpful to study German up to intermediate level ( if you have the time). Also your driving license could be important at some point for jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by segzyndpep(m): 10:49pm On Jul 13, 2020
Daejoyoung:

You can search for design courses generally on daad.de. You check for Bachelor's in Design first, because you have a degree not related to Design, and so getting a masters program directly would be difficult, but you can still check for the requirements of various schools ( Masters and Bachelors) on daad.de.

God bless you,i will do that now.My other concern is:Is it in demand in Germany?can i get job after grad?is it worth it as am already 35years.
Anyone can state there opinion pls

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (95)

Tell Us About The City Where You Live / A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.