Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,461 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? (5425 Views)

Why This Car Scarce?? / 2004 LS430 Needed / Why Is Registered W202 M/benz C180 - 220 So Scarce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by LordTerix: 2:24pm On May 07, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Not really. The 3UZ is just shite for spirited driving. It's meant to be a smooth engine, and that came at the expense of character. Can't compare it to an LS of the same era.

You just agreed with me then confused me, yourself and everyone else!

Go, re-read my entry and then, clarify your response.
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by LordTerix: 2:28pm On May 07, 2020
Covidhunger20:

Because they decided to call it Sport Coupe, it's very far from a sports car.

Is the soarer a car for the tracks?

On a straight line, you enjoy the push. With bends, that's another ball game.

I never bought any V8 vehicle for speed or ever attached a towbar.

It's a very heavy lump. Would you rather have a sexy leepa or orobo, to fulfil your sexual fantasies?

Choose your poison carefully grin

You sabi your onions wella; I like your analogy grin grin
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by Covidhunger20: 2:32pm On May 07, 2020
LordTerix:

You sabi your onions wella; I like your analogy grin grin

I have owned a GS430 + SC430. Both orobo's that love to assume they are much slimmer.

Fast vehicles, without a shadow of a don't.

If i want a vehicle for racing, i would either buy the Mitsubishi Evolution or Subaru Impreza.

With age, comes wisdom cheesy
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:34pm On May 07, 2020
LordTerix:

You just agreed with me then confused me, yourself and everyone else!

Go, re-read my entry and then, clarify your response.

We're not quite saying the same thing.

1. A V8 isn't really designed for smoothness. An i6 or V12 are, introducing a balance shaft into the equation negatively affects smoothness. There are a number of very smooth V8's, though, and the 3UZ was one of them. Not all V8s are that smooth.
2. You're implying that a V8 has to have a blower or turbo to have character. In your words "While the LS and SC may have failed in the adrenaline inducing moments quad turbo v8s induce". That's not true. There are plenty naturally aspirated V8s that do that. Ford's Coyote and Voodoo, GM's LS, Dodge's Hemis. Even BMW's S65. The 3UZ was just a gutless engine.

Comparing a 3UZ to a Coyote is like comparing a 3MZ to a VQ. Both V6's, but with way different driving dynamics and power delivery.

Or maybe I'm just reading your comment wrong. Always willing to discuss.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by LordTerix: 4:51pm On May 07, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

We're not quite saying the same thing.

1. A V8 isn't really designed for smoothness. An i6 or V12 are, introducing a balance shaft into the equation negatively affects smoothness. There are a number of very smooth V8's, though, and the 3UZ was one of them. Not all V8s are that smooth.
2. You're implying that a V8 has to have a blower or turbo to have character. In your words "While the LS and SC may have failed in the adrenaline inducing moments quad turbo v8s induce". That's not true. There are plenty naturally aspirated V8s that do that. Ford's Coyote and Voodoo, GM's LS, Dodge's Hemis. Even BMW's S65. The 3UZ was just a gutless engine.

Comparing a 3UZ to a Coyote is like comparing a 3MZ to a VQ. Both V6's, but with way different driving dynamics and power delivery.

Or maybe I'm just reading your comment wrong. Always willing to discuss.

1. You don't need a balance shaft in either a v8 or 12. These engines naturally balance themselves and as a rule, are usually smooth and versatile - unless tuned for effect or purpose. This smoothness usually comes as ample, effortless torque at low RPMs - something a tuned v6 or a turbo or super charged i4 can only dream of grin grin

2. No grin The 3UZ is not tuned for racing or spirited driving - at least not in the LS430. A fish should be judged by its ability to navigate the waters and not climb trees. Calling the engine 'gutless' is thus not fair.

I hope I'm understood better now smiley
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by LordTerix: 4:53pm On May 07, 2020
Covidhunger20:

I have owned a GS430 + SC430. Both orobo's that love to assume they are much slimmer.

Fast vehicles, without a shadow of a don't.

If i want a vehicle for racing, i would either buy the Mitsubishi Evolution or Subaru Impreza.

With age, comes wisdom cheesy

I also love this part. It is sad to see many men expect a car to be all even the engineers never envisaged.
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:11pm On May 07, 2020
LordTerix:

1. You don't need a balance shaft in either a v8 or 12. These engines naturally balance themselves and as a rule, are usually smooth and versatile - unless tuned for effect or purpose. This smoothness usually comes as ample, effortless torque at low RPMs - something a tuned v6 or a turbo or super charged i4 can only dream of grin grin

2. No grin The 3UZ is not tuned for racing or spirited driving - at least not in the LS430. A fish should be judged by its ability to navigate the waters and not climb trees. Calling the engine 'gutless' is thus not fair.

I hope I'm understood better now smiley

Oh, you're right. V8s don't need balance shafts. My bad.

But that's not true at all. In fact, the industry has moved towards forced induction because turbos provide way more low-end torque. This is well-known. Instead, a naturally aspirated V8 typically has more of its power at higher rpms, where the FI smaller engine would have run out of power.

I mean, it's all relative at the end of the day. A modern 5L V8 will still have more low-end torque than a 2L turbo does, but that's hardly a fair comparison. A 3.8L turbo v6 will have more low-end torque vs the same 5L V8. Likewise a 2L turbo i4 has more low-end torque than a naturally aspirated 3.5L V6.

What we can agree on is power delivery and ease. V8's are much better there, due to the nature of turbos and boost.

2. Well, the 3UZ was never used in a car where it was tuned for spirited driving. Besides, it's not just about the tune that matters. Cams, firing order, etc are also important in defining an engine's "character", no?

I agree with you that it does a good job of being a smooth engine, though. I just think it's a bit disappointing. That said, it made pretty good hp/displacement for the time. Mercedes' 5.0L M113 was only making similar power at the time.
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by sultaan(m): 10:05pm On May 07, 2020
I hate to digress to other models, but sometime we need to point to the brand thank killing Lexus, what they are doing right and how Lexus is getting paid back.

Mercedes and BMW are tier 1 luxury brands and Lexus beat them in the US market.

Lexus bread and butter is RX, but since it is competing with the X4, X6 with GL, those two have been accepted very well compared with the RX that has not really changed in a while.
When it comes to cars Genesis is doing well and when their SUV range come out things might get worse for Lexus

Watch this YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmKiDTSJesM
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:00pm On May 07, 2020
sultaan:
I hate to digress to other models, but sometime we need to point to the brand thank killing Lexus, what they are doing right and how Lexus is getting paid back.

Mercedes and BMW are tier 1 luxury brands and Lexus beat them in the US market.

Lexus bread and butter is RX, but since it is competing with the X4, X6 with GL, those two have been accepted very well compared with the RX that has not really changed in a while.
When it comes to cars Genesis is doing well and when their SUV range come out things might get worse for Lexus

Watch this YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmKiDTSJesM

In spite of all this, Lexus still outsells them. They're doing perfectly fine, and that won't change anytime soon.

Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by sultaan(m): 1:22am On May 08, 2020
Yes Lexus outsells them with the RX accounting for most of their sales.
Luxury car sales will only get worse which leaves Lexus with the RX as their only profitable model.

The magic number for car sales is $50,000, once the price of a car exceeds that amount the volume drops considerably. The RX is still mostly below that everything else above,that price will mostly sell around 6000 units every year. That is why the SC died off and the LS sells in trickles.
When the shift in consumer purchase trending towards luxurious pick up truck a buyer with $75000 will likely buy a Ram Limited or GMC Denali than a LS Lexus
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:58am On May 08, 2020
sultaan:
Yes Lexus outsells them with the RX accounting for most of their sales.
Luxury car sales will only get worse which leaves Lexus with the RX as their only profitable model.

The magic number for car sales is $50,000, once the price of a car exceeds that amount the volume drops considerably. The RX is still mostly below that everything else above,that price will mostly sell around 6000 units every year. That is why the SC died off and the LS sells in trickles.
Which the shift in consumer purchase trending towards luxurious pick up truck a buyer with $75000 will likely buy a Ram Limited or GMC Denali than a LS Lexus

LS sales are poor because it's the segment with the most picky buyers. The S Class is by far the car with the most heritage, kind of like the 3-series is in entry level luxury segment.

In spite of that, the LS is still doing ok. I can see it overtaking the Panamera next, since the LS should due for a minor facelift then.

LX sales are woeful, though.

Anyway, I still stick to my guns that Lexus is doing fine. They win the ICE mid-size SUV and sedan segments, and are competitive in most others.

Imo, what they actually need to do is bring out a proper 3-series fighter. They're already killing the GS off.

Plus there's always Toyota money to rely on.

Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:36am On May 08, 2020
Conductor261:

Don't mind the Benzedes or nothing fans... especially the Ekiti lecturer ..Lexus has taken over...

I have zero interest in engaging in a Benz vs Lexus argument. You can see we were having a a civil discussion.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by SomoriiN: 11:07am On May 08, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I have zero interest in engaging in a Benz vs Lexus argument. You can see we were having a a civil discussion.
Nice response.
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by SomoriiN: 11:15am On May 08, 2020
ADHD. We are having a civil discuss here.
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by sultaan(m): 6:50am On May 09, 2020
We are talking about Luxurious car and the mindset of the people who buy these cars is not how reliable the car is but the feel and how it project whatever image the owner wants to present to the public in some cases.
A lot of these vehicles are leased and returned.
I will not spend $80,000 on a car and expect it to run for 15 years, if I have money like that I will be changing cars very often.
Toyota still wants you to have the Toyota reliability, so they make it very reliable.

The Problem here is a Toyota being Toyota, never eager to innovate.
Infotainment and electronics is what sells car now and Toyota is behind on this and that is where Tesla is running wild with their over the air updates
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:05am On May 09, 2020
sultaan:
We are talking about Luxurious car and the mindset of the people who buy these cars is not how reliable the car is but the feel and how it project whatever image the owner wants to present to the public in some cases.
A lot of these vehicles are leased and returned.
I will not spend $80,000 on a car and expect it to run for 15 years, if I have money like that I will be changing cars very often.
Toyota still wants you to have the Toyota reliability, so they make it very reliable.

The Problem here is a Toyota being Toyota, never eager to innovate.
Infotainment and electronics is what sells car now and Toyota is behind on this and that is where Tesla is running wild with their over the air updates

Tesla is running wild because they're an electric company. They're in an entire segment of their own. Tesla's infotainment is hardly loved worldwide, believe me. It's divisive at best, with a huge percentage of the crowd hating the no-button approach. Also, Tesla's fit and finish is laughable, not even as good as Genesis, talk less of Lexus or MB. Reports or panel gaps, different paint shades, etc

Tesla sells because.

1. They're electric.
2. They're American. Americans are incredibly patriotic in matters like these.
3. They're the "in thing". The hipster's choice.

I do agree that Lexus' infotainment could be a lot better, though. But like I said, they dominate the ICE mid-size segments. It's always going hard to win versus the Germans in the compact and large segments, because of driving dynamics (compact) and brand cachet (large).
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by sultaan(m): 8:09pm On May 09, 2020
The LS come with 3.5 V6 now but the price for a 8 years old LS is still too high for importers to make a profit because the economic conscious buyer will not be looking at that price range and the luxurious minded buyer will rather buy a G-Wagon.
Our roads basically killed the luxury sedan market

The most absurd thing about Nigerian car buyer is they will pay a lot of money to buy economically cheap cars like Camry in for cylinders because they want to save money on fuel and maintenance, but then go ahead to hire a driver to drive them around. If you talk about the smoothness and power of the LS they will not understand because that have never had the pleasure of opening up a V8 on the highway

1 Like

Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 12:44am On May 10, 2020
sultaan:
The LS come with 3.5 V6 now but the price for a 8 years old LS is still too high for importers to make a profit because the economic conscious buyer will not be looking at that price range and the luxurious minded buyer will rather buy a G-Wagon.
Our roads basically killed the luxury sedan market

The most absurd thing about Nigerian car buyer is they will pay a lot of money to buy economically cheap cars like Camry in for cylinders because they want to save money on fuel and maintenance, but then go ahead to hire a driver to drive them around. If you talk about the smoothness and power of the LS they will not understand because that have never had the pleasure of opening up a V8 on the highway

No, 4.3 V8.....
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by Conductor261: 7:04am On May 10, 2020
Lexusgs430:

No, 4.3 V8.....

He corrected himself on the last few lines
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:14am On May 10, 2020
Lexusgs430:

No, 4.3 V8.....

He's talking about the current LS, which uses a 3.5L twin turbo.
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 7:29am On May 10, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

He's talking about the current LS, which uses a 3.5L twin turbo.

Was having a grandpa moment.........
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 7:30am On May 10, 2020
Conductor261:

He corrected himself on the last few lines

Enough to confuse an elderstates man......
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by EgunMogaji2: 8:02am On May 10, 2020
I haven’t checked this off of my bucket list. Yet, anyways.

There’s a certain A8 on Akala Express that’s a potential candidate.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by Conductor261: 9:01am On May 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
I haven’t checked this off of my bucket list. Yet, anyways.

There’s a certain A8 on Akala Express that’s a potential candidate.

I'll like to see that your famous bucket list

1 Like

Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by EgunMogaji2: 9:47am On May 10, 2020
Conductor261:

I'll like to see that your famous bucket list

Corona pandemic stay at home allowed me to finally learn how to weld.

Welding is now off of the list grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by Conductor261: 9:49am On May 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Corona pandemic stay at home allowed me to finally learn how to weld.

Welding is now off of the list grin

Lols.... Just post the list so we can be ticking it
Re: Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? by EgunMogaji2: 9:55am On May 10, 2020
Conductor261:

Lols.... Just post the list so we can be ticking it

Nope.

Make your own cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) / Advice On Car Purchase At Owode Onirin / Cost Of Private License Plates???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.