Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) (108869 Views)

Abuja Hospital In Search Of Relatives Of An Unconscious Accident Patient (Photo) / Area Boys Demand Settlement Before Evacuation Of Suspected COVID-19 Patients / Packaging Food In Polythene Bags Causes Cancer – NAFDAC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 04, 2020
9jaRealist:

If FMC Abeokuta is NOT a designated Covid treatment facility, then it’s not surprising that these nurses would not have standard PPE which is in short supply across the world. However, substituting polythene would be dangerous to the extent that it provides a false sense of bio security.
>
Since the govt has failed to rise to its responsibilities by providing the PPE, the nurses had to improvise. That's how far the frontline workers could go to save lives...they couldn't have just abandoned those patients unattended naw. Had they left the covid-19 patients to die due to lack of PPE? Nigerians would have still attacked them. Rather than reprimand them, I salute their courage... There are a lot going on at various isolation centres which neither NCDC nor the PTF would tell you. Unfortunately we have inept people in government.

Instead of inviting those Chinese drs at such a huge cost, why not use the money to bring in PPE. Are you aware our front line workers wash and reuse PPE? It's that bad. I doubt if the chinese drs' mission was related to covid-19 as the fed govt claimed. Our govt are stupid liars.

1 Like

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Jelzin2412(m): 9:05pm On May 04, 2020
SocialJustice:
I support this development, PPE should be locally produced from polythene.

If you really understand how contagious this virus is and how easily it's transmitted you won't suggest this at all. Seeing them on surgical mask (instead off FFP-3 or N95 masks), without face shield (eyes exposed) and bare skin while attending to a suspected COVID-19 case fill me with rage for Govt mixed with pity for their lives.

With all the PPE we have lost more 100 healthcare workers in the UK (with more than 30% of the HCWs testing positive). Italy has lost more than 200 of it's healthcare workers too.

There's no alternative to appropriate PPE. Govt should do the right thing or have their staff down their tools. I for one would never be close to any patient this period COVID-19 or not without an appropriate PPE. It's an act of wickedness not to provide adequate and appropriate PPE to any frontline personnel.
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by professore(m): 9:07pm On May 04, 2020
If you see a nurse, make sure you treat are well. They are angels among humans.

1 Like

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by SocialJustice: 9:09pm On May 04, 2020
Jelzin2412:

If you really understand how contagious this virus is and how easily it's transmitted you won't suggest this at all. Seeing them on surgical mask (instead off FFP-3 or N95 masks), without face shield (eyes exposed) and bare skin while attending to a suspected COVID-19 case fill me with rage for Govt mixed with pity for their lives.

With all the PPE we have lost more 100 healthcare workers in the UK (with more than 30% of the HCWs testing positive). Italy has lost more than 200 of it's healthcare workers too.

There's no alternative to appropriate PPE. Govt should do the right thing or have their staff down their tools. I for one would never be close to any patient this period COVID-19 or not without an appropriate PPE. It's an act of wickedness not to provide adequate and appropriate PPE to any frontline personnel.
True, I was referring to just the dress though at least.

1 Like

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 9:13pm On May 04, 2020
jeromedee:
They weren’t wearing any PPE underneath, they improvised due to shortage and one of them died of Corona.

RIP...

But PPE is NOT a 100% guarantee against infection...
It thus should be used in combination with other precautionary measures.
>

1 Like

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by kemii4500: 9:13pm On May 04, 2020
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Jelzin2412(m): 9:14pm On May 04, 2020
9jaRealist:
Presumably FMC Abeokuta is not a designated COVID treatment center...
Therefore, it is not surprising they do not have standard PPE gear since most hospitals (anywhere) will not.

Unfortunately, because of the nature of COVID (and particularly in Nigeria)...
Many hospitals/healthcare workers will INADVERTENTLY come into contact with COVID positive persons.

Given that standard PPE has become quite scarce across the world...
Basic protective gear (face masks, gloves) should be standard for all hospitals, which seems the case here.

Meanwhile, the polythene ‘jackets’ are frankly ridiculous...
Might even be considered dangerous, to the extent that it provides a false sense of bio security.

>

I'm afraid but that's not the standard as clearly defined by WHO. B4 suspected COVID-19 surgical or other face mask beside N95 or FFP3 mask has been shown to be useless. If they are tending to an unsuspected case with other medical illness then surgical or other masks will suffice (though still not safe) but in a case of suspected COVID-19 they should be donned on appropriate PPE b4 coming close to such patient; that's the standard...

Now you understand the true meaning of frontline workers cos you can't tell what's to come. It's akin to a soldier in a battle field..
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by mechanics(m): 9:16pm On May 04, 2020
Hmmmmm, what happened to the donations made by corporate organisations and individuals?
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by 2018PROFSUNDAY: 9:18pm On May 04, 2020
To be candid I don't really know what to say. I don't know how much this nurses will collect for this stupidity. Their lives is not so PRECIOUS to them.

1 Like

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 9:18pm On May 04, 2020
fairfora:
Since the govt has failed to rise to its responsibilities by providing the PPE, the nurses had to improvise. That's how far the frontline workers could go to save lives...they couldn't have just abandoned those patients unattended naw. Had they left the covid-19 patients to die due to lack of PPE? Nigerians would have still attacked them. Rather than reprimand them, I salute their courage... There are a lot going on at various isolation centres which neither NCDC nor the PTF would tell you. Unfortunately we have inept people in government.

Instead of inviting those Chinese drs at such a huge cost, why not use the money to bring in PPE. Are you aware our front line workers wash and reuse PPE? It's that bad. I doubt if the chinese drs' mission was related to covid-19 as the fed govt claimed. Our govt are stupid liars.

But nobody is reprimanding them... shocked

Even standard PPE is not a 100% guarantee against infection...
But it is important not to provide a false sense of bio security to folks, which would make an already dangerous situation even moreso.

Courage is admirable, but simply not enough against Covid.
>

1 Like

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Nobody: 9:19pm On May 04, 2020
Kenmatt:
I have always been thinking if these face masks that cover just the mouth and nose can prevent this virus completely
because they know Nigerians can talk to much and our spit no be here, some never brush teeth since morning dey woke up just to come out to do agbero and conductor work for park
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by X0012(m): 9:22pm On May 04, 2020
This shit is getting serious
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Jelzin2412(m): 9:22pm On May 04, 2020
joyfullyjoyous:
Improvisatiom.
Perhaps they are still being sold.
Half bread is better than none.

Anything short of standard PPE is a suicide mission cos even with appropriate PPE HCWs all over the world are still massively infected and many have died and continue dying.

Unfortunately this is not one of those cases when improvisation suffices. It's a clear suicide mission and this is fact.

1 Like

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Jaqenhghar: 9:22pm On May 04, 2020
Giant of afrika
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 9:23pm On May 04, 2020
Jelzin2412:
I'm afraid but that's not the standard as clearly defined by WHO. B4 suspected COVID-19 surgical or other face mask beside N95 or FFP3 mask has been shown to be useless. If they are tending to an unsuspected case with other medical illness then surgical or other masks will suffice (though still not safe) but in a case of suspected COVID-19 they should be donned on appropriate PPE b4 coming close to such patient; that's the standard...

Now you understand the true meaning of frontline workers cos you can't tell what's to come. It's akin to a soldier in a battle field..

What part of my comment that many healthcare workers in Nigeria would INADVERTENTLY come into contact with Covid cases was confusing?
>
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by MansoryMX(m): 9:23pm On May 04, 2020
Officialgarri:
The French doctors suggested that vaccines should be tested in Africa and everyone was hauling insults at them......

Lmfao

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Bonapart(m): 9:25pm On May 04, 2020
Officialgarri:
The French doctors suggested that vaccines should be tested in Africa and everyone was hauling insults at them......
they should start with your father then mother and later all your siblings before your miserable self
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Mizwisdom(f): 9:27pm On May 04, 2020
What is bad about it? even in. America they don't have enough PPEs this is good enough
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Jelzin2412(m): 9:27pm On May 04, 2020
9jaRealist:

What part of my comment that many healthcare workers in Nigeria would INADVERTENTLY come into contact with Covid cases was confusing?
>

Your statement that FMC Abeokuta not being a designated COVID-19 treatment centre might have negated them from being supplied the standard PPE. It's not the standard. Any institution that caters for the health of the masses or that of the elderly or vulnerable population ought to have the full appropriate standard PPE. That's the guideline
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by kemii2827: 9:32pm On May 04, 2020
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by CXLVII: 9:33pm On May 04, 2020
cry cry cry

Nigeria needs to be sold
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Deebwebb: 9:34pm On May 04, 2020
Afonja and almajiris people always embarrassing us,bad bad news from there always...
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 9:35pm On May 04, 2020
Jelzin2412:

Jelzin2412:
Your statement that FMC Abeokuta not being a designated COVID-19 treatment centre might have negated them from being supplied the standard PPE. It's not the standard. Any institution that caters for the health of the masses or that of the elderly or vulnerable population ought to have the full appropriate standard PPE. That's the guideline

Nigeria has designated Covid treatment centers...
Given the worldwide shortage of PPE, Nigeria prioritizes these for those centers (albeit not exclusively).

EVERY SINGLE news conference by Nigerian public health authorities admonishes private and public hospitals NOT to treat suspected Covid patients but to immediately isolate them and contact the NCDC or other appropriate authorities. And yet, many of the Covid deaths in Nigeria have been patients who were initially being treated at private hospitals or clinics, until their symptoms became unmanageable or critical.
>
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by skyfather09(m): 9:37pm On May 04, 2020
Abeg who dey Yankee.. I fit do houseboy work, mortician or even road cleaner... Nigeria do tire me.
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Perfecttouchade: 9:40pm On May 04, 2020
PPE oya grin
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by Perfecttouchade: 9:40pm On May 04, 2020
skyfather09:
Abeg who dey Yankee.. I fit do houseboy work, mortician or even road cleaner... Nigeria do tire me.
abeg make I join u

1 Like

Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 9:41pm On May 04, 2020
Jelzin2412:

And yet even in the US there’s still critical shortages of PPE...
>
Re: Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) by kennyz247(m): 9:44pm On May 04, 2020
Officialgarri:
... vaccines that African will still bend on there kneel to beg for it very soon,and if care is. not taking,it may take 10-20years before they(white) will allow the vaccines to smell African continent..
ignorance and foolishness killing African

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial / Benefits Of African Black Soap / Indonesian Teenager Impaled By Needlefish That Jumped Out Of Water (Graphic Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.