Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,567 members, 7,861,685 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:07 PM

South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) (5291 Views)

Two Ladies Fighting Publicly, Exchange Blows As Crowd Cheers Them (Photos) / Nigerian Men Scam Foreigner Of €15,000, Victim Travels Down To Arrest Them / Berom People Of Plateau Kill Fulani Cows, Machete Many Of Them (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by toscolee(m): 3:23pm On May 06, 2020
TMKsouth:

Not really, we all get along.

The difference is just that the Cape lifestyle is all about the outdoors - the mountain/beaches/winelands. So they are feeling more cooped up at the moment.

Ok.
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 5:57pm On May 06, 2020
joudini:
I have a question on Cape town which stems from me reading a book many years ago from a South African author, Peter Abraham. The book is called "Mine Boy".

Are/were the majority of residents of Cape town before the 90s non-black? I understand how this may be a sensitive question but I have to ask because it was demonstrated in that book how discrimination existed even between the coloured and blacks.

Does this have a role to play in their supposed uppity compared to, say, Limpopo?

Black people, including the coloureds, are the majority in Cape Town. But the city (and Western Cape province) remains the most unequal in the whole country due to the legacy of apartheid.

The province is the only one not governed by the ANC. So the DA has failed to drastically challenge the legacy of apartheid. People tend to vote along racial lines in the Cape, with the majority of the Coloured people often voting with the Whites.

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by joudini(m): 6:18pm On May 06, 2020
TMKsouth:

Black people, including the coloureds, are the majority in Cape Town. But the city (and Western Cape province) remains the most unequal in the whole country due to the legacy of apartheid.

The province is the only one not governed by the ANC. So the DA has failed to drastically challenge the legacy of apartheid. People tend to vote along racial lines in the Cape, with the majority of the Coloured people often voting with the Whites.

Thus the alienation.
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Shattuck(m): 7:46pm On May 06, 2020
Neef2018:
South Africa is not an African country. Its a white man's colony owned by them, with a black figurehead.
the real south africans are in the ghetto wondering what they will eat
this is not necessary abeg.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Shattuck(m): 7:49pm On May 06, 2020
AudioNews:
Organized country, very clean nd Neat, Exactly lik Europeans,
Unlike de useless country called Nigeria we ar living in,

Ewedu nd Amala hav destroyed dis country by voting a Cabel,
Wickedness
lol no worries bro dry bones shall rise again,one step at a time.
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by toscolee(m): 11:02pm On May 06, 2020
TMKsouth:

How do the various races relate with themselves.
Suspicion?
Respect?
Tolerance?
Bitterness?
Is there inter marriage among them, do they befriend/help each other at school or work?
Which race is most likely to relate with another?

1 Like

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Minxie(f): 2:17am On May 07, 2020
Well, I think right after apartheid ended black and coloured didn't really know that much about each other here in the Western Cape. However, there wasn't animosity. I can tell you now that most coloureds prefer black people to white people. Especially the young ones because now we know more about each other. Yes, the old people have their views. I've heard some racist comments from old people (black, white and coloured) but usually we shut them up and educate them.

Yes there are a lot of cases where people marry and date across races. Even before apartheid ended. The only problem may be a culture clash. White people here are a little too conservative for coloureds. We are more liberal and more accepting and we love change. Sometimes there's a culture clash with black people as well because of roles in the household. But that's solved by the people involved.

I don't think there's animosity. If there is, it's individual based. Also, coloured people are very much pan african especially the young ones. We also tolerate each other because of our differences. When you have such a big pot of people in one area, you have to tolerate the things that you don't understand and you have to learn more about them. I must give thanks to the government though, especially with local programming. It made my people learn so much more about black people and the different cultures. they are no longer living in a bubble.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 3:18am On May 07, 2020
toscolee:

How do the various races relate with themselves.
Suspicion?
Respect?
Tolerance?
Bitterness?
Is there inter marriage among them, do they befriend/help each other at school or work?
Which race is most likely to relate with another?

Minxie above has answered your questions very well. Of course prejudice and mistrust still exist, but those people are in the minority now.

Blacks and coloureds are most likely to befriend and marry each other - especially outside of the Western Cape. But most people are friendly and civil with each other in public places.

Unlike with Nigeria we don't really have a tribal problem in SA. Nigerian tribalism is in a league of its own.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Lionessza6(f): 6:00am On May 07, 2020
grin grin
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by toscolee(m): 9:38am On May 07, 2020
Minxie:
Well, I think right after apartheid ended black and coloured didn't really know that much about each other here in the Western Cape. However, there wasn't animosity. I can tell you now that most coloureds prefer black people to white people. Especially the young ones because now we know more about each other. Yes, the old people have their views. I've heard some racist comments from old people (black, white and coloured) but usually we shut them up and educate them.

Yes there are a lot of cases where people marry and date across races. Even before apartheid ended. The only problem may be a culture clash. White people here are a little too conservative for coloureds. We are more liberal and more accepting and we love change. Sometimes there's a culture clash with black people as well because of roles in the household. But that's solved by the people involved.

I don't think there's animosity. If there is, it's individual based. Also, coloured people are very much pan african especially the young ones. We also tolerate each other because of our differences. When you have such a big pot of people in one area, you have to tolerate the things that you don't understand and you have to learn more about them. I must give thanks to the government though, especially with local programming. It made my people learn so much more about black people and the different cultures. they are no longer living in a bubble.

Thanks.
I have met very few South Africans ( a white man as a boss and a black lady on a visit to Nigeria), they were very humble, both had something in common; a childlike curiosity I found endearing.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by toscolee(m): 9:39am On May 07, 2020
TMKsouth:

Minxie above has answered your questions very well. Of course prejudice and mistrust still exist, but those people are in the minority now.

Blacks and coloureds are most likely to befriend and marry each other - especially outside of the Western Cape. But most people are friendly and civil with each other in public places.

Unlike with Nigeria we don't really have a tribal problem in SA. Nigerian tribalism is in a league of its own.

Thank you.
I'm learning.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by sayisayi(m): 10:07am On May 07, 2020
Shattuck:
this is not necessary abeg.

Truth hurts sha
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by sayisayi(m): 10:12am On May 07, 2020
[quote author=TMKsouth

Unlike with Nigeria we don't really have a tribal problem in SA. Nigerian tribalism is in a league of its own. [/quote]

Spent time in Joburg and Bloem. Issue of shadeism and inequality is rampant in SA. Ppl are scared to go out in some areas after 6pm. The issue of Xenophobia is just as bad as tribalism. Biggest problem both countries face is that despite the money in both countries, the average citizen is illiterate and has a poor thinking capacity.
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Minxie(f): 10:41am On May 07, 2020
there is definitely a problem of illiteracy but it's something we are trying to fix. Unfortunately it takes time. Apartheid left people in shitty circumstances where they couldn't attend school and the schooling they got was very limited. So it's definitely a challenge. We must just keep addressing the problem smiley
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 10:45am On May 07, 2020
[quote author=sayisayi post=89279825][/quote]

The issue of illiteracy is a complex one and I'd like to challenge u on that sweeping statement.

SA's literacy rate is at over 90%. I find most West Africans who experience SA illerates are themselves only mingling around the inner cities (Hillbrow, YEOVILLE, etc) ) and can't often tell the difference between the locals and Mozambicans, Zimbabwe or Lesotho people for instance - who are bountiful in these areas.

Most of our illiteracy can be found among the elderly population who by law were denied quality education by the apartheid governments (Bantu education).
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Minxie(f): 10:54am On May 07, 2020
that's true. most older people could not go to school.

however there is a problem with education even in the young ones today. not everyone who went to school can think outside the box or can make a positive contribution to society. You get those who are just dead set on becoming "stoepsitters". They are young like us. So somewhere there is a problem with education.

But most people are educated or have some form of skill and literacy.
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 11:30am On May 07, 2020
Minxie:

however there is a problem with education even in the young ones today. not everyone who went to school can think outside the box or can make a positive contribution to society

Lol grin grin "stoepsitters"

I guess there's a difference between illiteracy and ignorance. Perhaps that's what the original poster should have said.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by sayisayi(m): 12:46pm On May 08, 2020
[quote author=TMKs

Most of our illiteracy can be found among the elderly population who by law were denied quality education by the apartheid governments (Bantu education).[/quote]...

LOL...X the fire in your belly however from my own experiences in Joburg, Bloem and Durban as well as moving around some rural environments, I beg to differ. The author below also has a concordant view with mine. For me, I am not just thinking of functional literacy, but reasoning and how that leads to critical analysis. You can write the word dictionary and still think like an idiot. Hence, the SA men in hostels who attack immigrants as opposed to their government.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mg.co.za/article/2019-05-10-00-illiteracy-is-part-of-a-ticking-time-bomb/%3famp
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 2:00pm On May 08, 2020
[quote author=sayisayi post=89320468][/quote]

Then don't use the word "illiterates", it doesn't serve your purpose.
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by joudini(m): 4:44pm On May 08, 2020
Another question on Cape Town or West Cape

I have observed on SA twitter when it concerns violence between Coloureds and others that reference is made, typically by the Coloureds, to their history of warfare or resistance.

What is the history about?

Cc: tmksouth, minxie
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 8:36pm On May 08, 2020
joudini:

I have observed on SA twitter when it concerns violence between Coloureds and others that reference is made, typically by the Coloureds, to their history of warfare or resistance.

I'm not sure of this, but perhaps they are referring to gangsterism. Coloured townships are notorious in this regard. The army even had to be brought into the Western Cape last year to deal with the situation way before coronavirus.

Maybe Minxie has a better idea since she's coloured herself.
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Minxie(f): 9:11pm On May 08, 2020
joudini:

Yeah we have a long history of gangsters. You must note that coloureds do these activities amongst themselves. You will very rarely find a coloured gang operating outside of the country or even outside of the flats. Coloureds are also very stubborn and very passionate. Everything is just taken overboard grin I don't really know much about the history of gangs. I grew up in the boland (countryside) even though my family from my grandfather's side was malay. I know he was in a gang though grin Sorry I can't answer your questions much. People have different experiences. those in the flats are different from the "plaasjapies" (small town people).
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 9:42pm On May 08, 2020
Minxie:

Sorry I can't answer your questions much. People have different experiences. those in the flats are different from the "plaasjapies" (small town people).

Perhaps politically, there's also the debate whether coloureds contributed to the fight against apartheid or whether they benefitted from the system as mixed raced people. I know there's often that squabble on twitter. Then coloured people will name the likes of Patricia de Lille, Allen Boosak, district 6 to indicate their participation in the struggle.

Is this the line u were going with - joudini?
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Minxie(f): 9:53pm On May 08, 2020
TMKsouth:

Perhaps politically, there's also the debate whether coloureds contributed to the fight against apartheid or whether they benefitted from the system as mixed raced people. I know there's often that squabble on twitter. Then coloured people will name the likes of Patricia de Lille, Allen Boosak, district 6 to indicate their participation in the struggle.

Is this the line u were going with - joudini?

I think many coloureds feel overlooked when people discuss the liberation struggle. Trust me, they gave the white people hell here. My parents were involved in so many protests and they always tell me the stories. So many people think that coloureds were okay with apartheid but they were really not. they hated it just like the black people did. My grandparents owned a farm which they lost. My Waterboer family were basically turned into maids and farm workers. So they fought back in many ways from defying police to causing unrest wherever possible. Other than language and some food, coloured people really have nothing in common with afrikaners. Don't get me started on the language issue... it makes every coloured angry... There's one thing that we coloureds love about black people though. It's their ability to take immediate action. Coloureds will go through due process and negotiations first and often it doesn't help. So we are grateful for black people who take action faster. We always say how we should be more like black people and stand up for ourselves grin

3 Likes

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 10:05pm On May 08, 2020
Minxie:

So many people think that coloureds were okay with apartheid but they were really not. they hated it just like the black people did. My grandparents owned a farm which they lost. My Waterboer family were basically turned into maids and farm workers. So they fought back in many ways from defying police to causing unrest wherever possible. D

We need to hear more stories like this. How sad bout your grandparents. Very touching.

The stories are out there but not told often enough, just on Freedom Day or Human Rights Day.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Minxie(f): 10:13pm On May 08, 2020
TMKsouth:

We need to hear more stories like this. How sad bout your grandparents. Very touching.

The stories are out there but not told often enough, just on Freedom Day or Human Rights Day.

Yup true dat! We as young people need to hear these things from our parents and grandparents so that we can use it as motivation to become great. I did a little research on my family history and was absolutely amazed by the kind of people that I had in my family. It just inspired me to want to be great like them.

Sharing these stories also helps us relate to each other. I think these races need to get to know each other more. Many people will be surprised by what they have in common in terms of culture especially. It's up to us.
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 10:25pm On May 08, 2020
Minxie:

Sharing these stories also helps us relate to each other. I think these races need to get to know each other more. Many people will be surprised by what they have in common in terms of culture especially. It's up to us.

Indeed. There's nothing stopping us.
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by joudini(m): 3:54am On May 09, 2020
Tmksouth and minxie have been so helpful. Thank you. You see, that's why I dismiss people who sit in Europe/US, who because they graduated from a school of African studies over there immediately confer on themselves "expert on African affairs".

If you don't immerse yourself in a community, how do you understand the nuances? Nuances are affected by politics, economics, socials etc. Academic publications shun these segments, and local commentaries are wary due to fear or respect.

About Coloured gangsterism, didn't SA army kill a gangster some months ago, that had notable people flying in from all over the world for his burial? That's some real shit.

The claims by the coloureds I saw on twitter apparently refer to their history of gangsterism. How they never fold...

3 Likes

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Nobody: 5:42am On May 09, 2020
[quote author=sayisayi post=89279825][/quote]

SA has literacy level of 94%

Nigeria around 60%

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by TMKsouth: 12:26pm On May 09, 2020
joudini:
Tmksouth and minxie have been so helpful. Thank you.

Always glad to assist.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by IronGalaxy: 1:28pm On May 09, 2020
Minxie:

I think many coloureds feel overlooked when people discuss the liberation struggle. Trust me, they gave the white people hell here. My parents were involved in so many protests and they always tell me the stories. So many people think that coloureds were okay with apartheid but they were really not. they hated it just like the black people did. My grandparents owned a farm which they lost. My Waterboer family were basically turned into maids and farm workers. So they fought back in many ways from defying police to causing unrest wherever possible. Other than language and some food, coloured people really have nothing in common with afrikaners. Don't get me started on the language issue... it makes every coloured angry... There's one thing that we coloureds love about black people though. It's their ability to take immediate action. Coloureds will go through due process and negotiations first and often it doesn't help. So we are grateful for black people who take action faster. We always say how we should be more like black people and stand up for ourselves grin
How do you explain the anti-black sentiment so prevalent among coloured folks in cape town then?
Re: South Africa Beach Lovers Protest Lockdown - Police Arrest Them (photos) by Minxie(f): 6:40pm On May 09, 2020
IronGalaxy:
How do you explain the anti-black sentiment so prevalent among coloured folks in cape town then?

I've come to realise that it's not hate or anti-black sentiment. It's just people don't know enough about each other. Trust me, I've received some very hateful comments from black people about my race. and some very ignorant comments as well. I don't take it seriously because I know we only receive negative news about each other so we have that idea of each other. Anyway, just because a few people make some ignorant and racist statements, doesnt mean we are all like that. You yourself know the things people say about coloureds... it's offensive too. Very. But i know it's because nobody really knows much about our culture. There is a BIG culture clash but it doesn't mean we don't like black people. Apartheid made sure to separate the two races and we are now just living with the consequences of it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

American Narrates Kidnap Ordeal In Warri, Niger Delta / Top 10 Most Feared People In The World ( No.5 Will Surprise You) / Check Out The Two Types Of Robbery In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.