Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,896 members, 7,810,444 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

Crossovers - Igbo & Hellenic Greece - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Crossovers - Igbo & Hellenic Greece (887 Views)

5 Strongest gods In History Of Greece You Should Know (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Crossovers - Igbo & Hellenic Greece by Abovebonny: 12:25pm On May 07, 2020
I've noticed some similarities between pre colonial Igbo society and ancient Greece.

The main resemblance is that of the city state.

As we know ancient Greece was not a unified body, but rather a group of small but influential governments each varying to some degree in culture & tradition.
But united under the Hellenic pantheon (ancient Greek religion).

There are parallels with Igbo variations in cultural & traditional practices but all united under one belief system, Odinani.

Classical Athens was the cultural & religuous centre of Greece.
Much like how Igbo-Ukwu was for the Igbos.

Ephesus was the most important trading port in the Aegean sea .
Onitsha was largest metropolitan trading port on the Niger river.

Sparta was the militaristic society built on warfare & conquest of her neighbours.
like Sparta, Ohofia had a strong warrior tradition renowned throughout Igboland.

Ritual slavery with was common in both ancient Greece & Igboland.

Disclaimer!
I'm by no means suggesting that Igbos & ancient Greeks are related, I just thought it was an interesting comparison to make.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Crossovers - Igbo & Hellenic Greece by jonaifame22(m): 9:22pm On Jan 10, 2023
Igbo kwenu!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tales Of A Lagos Bolt Driver. / The Community That Offers S_x To Visitors And Does Not Bath[b][/b] / Historical Background Of Ojoku In Kwara State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.