Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue (5877 Views)

UK Meeting: Aggrieved PDP Governors Demand Tinubu's Support In Five States / Court Stops FG From Unlawful Deduction Of $418million From States Account / 16 SARS Operatives Indicted For Killings In Five States –presidential Panel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Melezenawii: 6:47pm On May 07, 2020
The Minister of Finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun remarked that 87% of Nigeria’s VAT comes from four states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) while only 13% comes from 32 other states in the federation.

The Minister, while speaking at the parley between the federal government and progressive governors forum (PGF) on Tuesday stated that Lagos has the highest VAT collection, amounting to 55% of Nigeria’s VAT

According to her, FCT has the second place with 20%, while 6 % in Rivers, 5% in Kano and 1% in Kaduna.

As reported by TheCable, she also reiterated the need to increase tax compliance rate in the country which according to her is very low.

https://nairametrics.com/2017/08/02/these-five-states-account-for-87-of-nigerias-vat-revenue/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Simplyleo: 6:49pm On May 07, 2020
Lol.

The report says 5 states account for 87% VAT in Nigeria. The states are Lagos (55%), Rivers and Kano 6% and 5% respectively. FCT came a distant 2nd with 20% while Kaduna was a much more distant 3rd with just 1%. grin grin

Having said that, even a blind, deaf and dumb man knows Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Benue, Niger, Kwara, Cross Rivers and Edo states account for about 10 out of the 13% balance.

Now, let's assume the remaining 23 states contribute equally to the 3% balance, even though we all know Borno is slightly higher than Ebonyi while Osun beats Anambra and imo states combined. But to avoid argument, let's just assume all contribute equally.

Dividing the 3 into 26 places gives 0.12% per state. Multiplying this by 5 equals 0.57%.

So some 5 worthless undeveloped villages contribute just 0.57% VAT to the national purse (far less than what only Kaduna with the least contributes). Ironically, they claim to be the richest in Nigeria. Smh. undecided

No wonder Lagos na obodo oyibo to some people. angry

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Golan007: 6:53pm On May 07, 2020
Wait for it...
grin

Old news though.

1 Like

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by GamalNasser: 6:54pm On May 07, 2020
Stop spewing ignorance..VAT is an end user tax and is actually borne by the last user or consumer of a vatable product or service , so trying to attribute VAT collected at entry point doesnt make sense , for example Lagos being the primary entry point of most goods into Nigeria will erroneously claim to contribute the highest tax but while in reality people in yobe ,zamfara or abakiliki who end up being the last user of an import actually bore part of the VAT charge ..

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 07, 2020
We no go gree!

"This is Ewedu statistics. Anambra, God's paradise must be there. Owerri too and Enugu too is not doing bad. They are trying too"

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Golan007: 6:56pm On May 07, 2020
GamalNasser:
Stop spewing ignorance..V

Present your own statistics.

grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by GamalNasser: 6:59pm On May 07, 2020
Golan007:

Present your own statistics.

grin

You are too dull to process what I am about to write so chill

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Golan007: 7:00pm On May 07, 2020
GamalNasser:
Stop spewing ignorance..VAT is an end user tax and is actually borne by the last user or consumer of a vatable product or service , so trying to attribute VAT collected at entry point doesnt make sense , for example Lagos being the primary entry point of most goods into Nigeria will erroneously claim to contribute the highest tax but while in reality people in yobe ,zamfara or abakiliki who end up being the last user of an import actually bore part of the VAT charge ..

End user or last user, Kano still higher than your state.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by helinues: 7:00pm On May 07, 2020
The Minister of Finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun remarked that 87% of Nigeria’s VAT comes from four states and Federal Capital Territory

Hunger or highness ? @ op

See bigotry in full display, they didn't even read what they are arguing about

Nigeria youths of NO tomorrow

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by jumper524(m): 7:00pm On May 07, 2020
We go soon realise say rivers dey overrated.
Make jungle mature first..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Bialegend(m): 7:01pm On May 07, 2020
Lagos-Ibadan Expressway gutter media propaganda.

9 Likes

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Golan007: 7:01pm On May 07, 2020
GamalNasser:

You are too dull to process what I am about to write so chill

There is nothing for you to write when Kaduna is even higher than wherever it is you are trying to prop up.

4 Likes

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by GamalNasser: 7:02pm On May 07, 2020
Golan007:

End user or last user, Kano still higher than your state.

Gerrout you people think you are doing the SE ko? Kontinu

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Golan007: 7:03pm On May 07, 2020
GamalNasser:

Gerrout you people think you are doing the SE ko? Kontinu

You are the one fixated on this kind of news.

7 Likes

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Melezenawii: 7:03pm On May 07, 2020
GamalNasser:

South East region has lowest population, so they contribute the least in term of consumption.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Golan007: 7:04pm On May 07, 2020
Melezenawii:

South East region has lowest population, so they contribute the least in term of consumption.

That's a valid argument.
Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Ikinternational: 7:04pm On May 07, 2020
You mean the majority of VAT comes from states the FG have spent enormous resources over the years developing their infrastructure?

You don't mean it. I find the results absolutely shocking.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by ificatchmodeh: 7:05pm On May 07, 2020
Some states are developing with a speed of light ..
while some states with chronic hunger, ghost town and cities,with chronic poverty are eating statistics grin

Oya after statistics and GDP ... chronic hunger and chronic poverty remains same. grin

WhAts else?

Hunger kills..

Pray statistics and propaganda continue to rise .. why hunger poverty ghost towns continue to rise equally grin

For those that chose to work and develop shunning statistics and gdp propaganda.. may the continue to build develop without hunger poverty or ghost towns

It’s well with everyone grin

Nigeria! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Golan007: 7:07pm On May 07, 2020
Ikinternational:
You mean the majority of VAT comes from states the FG have spent enormous resources over the years developing their infrastructure?

You don't mean it. I find the results absolutely shocking.

But all SS states receive more than Kaduna.

4 Likes

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by GamalNasser: 7:11pm On May 07, 2020
Melezenawii:

Based on Fulani census which is not credible

3 Likes

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by ificatchmodeh: 7:15pm On May 07, 2020
GamalNasser:

Based on Fulani census which is not credible

Nigerians know the truth..even the world..

Southwest propaganda has been reoiled since Hausa Fulani drove them comot form government

Everything must be done to appease their masters

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by edoairways: 7:23pm On May 07, 2020
GamalNasser:
It doesn't change the fact that Lagos generate more. It still doesn't change the fact that Lagos still have last users of imported items too.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 07, 2020
helinues:

Hunger or highness ? @ op

See bigotry in full display, they didn't even read what they are arguing about

Nigeria youths of NO tomorrow

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:48pm On May 07, 2020
Melezenawii:

The Minister, while speaking at the parley between the federal government and progressive governors forum (PGF) on Tuesday stated that Lagos has the highest VAT collection, amounting to 55% of Nigeria’s VAT

According to her, FCT has the second place with 20%, while 6 % in Rivers, 5% in Kano and 1% in Kaduna.

https://nairametrics.com/2017/08/02/these-five-states-account-for-87-of-nigerias-vat-revenue/
First and foremost Mrs Kemi Adeosun is no longer the finance minister!!!

Secondly, it's normal, it's expected, these places you mentioned are commercial cities!!!

These states are ready made even during the colonial times

They are highly concentrated

The concern should be are they remitting enough

danietohbadt:

Na aboki con dey live for the 5 igbo states?
Is it only the North/South West that's living in these places mentioned

You might equally say that northerners live in the South East but I can assure you that the population cannot be compared!!!

Modified:
Lordave:
Multichoice Nigeria is headquartered in Lagos State. Now when I make a subscription for my DStv I’m always charged 5% VAT.

Given that I don’t reside in Lagos, and I was taxed for the payment I made on my DStv who’s headquartered in Lagos State does my 5% VAT get recorded into VAT collected in my state of residence or in Lagos State where the company I had my transaction with is headquartered in?

Seunmsg, YorubaHero12, Simplyleo.

GamalNasser WiseandTrue
Zombies don't reason properly.

Lack of brain becloud their judgement

No matter the attack, the truth will always remain what it is!!!

How can you compare the former nation's capital (Lagos) to the East that has not experienced such exposure

In terms of revenue generation in any form

Isn't it partial

4 Likes

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by YorubaHero12: 7:53pm On May 07, 2020
GamalNasser:

Although this news is 2017 so it’s old but I have an observation.

What exactly are the Igbos contributing to the National purse? Na then Dey first abuse the Northerners as leeches but yet Kano is contributing more VAT than any SE state.

Agriculture Export too also showed that the SW and the North are the largest earners for foreign trade for Nigeria. Sesame seed and cocoa are the two largest cash crops Nigeria export.

The SS majorly contribute the oil money for all the zones. Infact Ondo produce more oil than Imo and Abia combined. So don’t even mention Oil that can’t fill a cup as their contribution.

What exactly is the contribution of those 5 SE states to the National purse.

13 Likes

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:57pm On May 07, 2020
YorubaHero12:

Although this news is 2017 so it’s old but I have an observation.

What exactly are the Igbos contributing to the National purse? Na then Dey first abuse the Northerners as leeches but yet Kano is contributing more VAT than any SE state.

Agriculture Export too also showed that the SW and the North are the largest earners for foreign trade for Nigeria. Sesame seed and cocoa are the two largest cash crops Nigeria export.

The SS majorly contribute the oil money for all the zones. Infact Ondo produce more oil than Imo and Abia combined. So don’t even mention Oil that can’t fill a cup as their contribution.

What exactly is the contribution of those 5 SE states to the National purse.
Majority of the Igbos\other tribes are living there and they pay their taxes there as well

YorubaHero12:

That’s not my question.

The question is what does the SE region contribute to the National purse?

I think SE are the real parasite in Nigeria and not the North. They contribute nothing which explained why they always link themselves to the SS every time.

Many of these companies are own or managed by the South!!!

An average Igbo man built businesses outside it real domain

Rochas Okorocha for instance has businesses in Imo, and Abuja.

That's how many of them are

They don't just call themselves developer

It's a fact, Go and check

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by ChimaAdeoye: 8:05pm On May 07, 2020
How fraudulently talented Nigerians are in twisting information is spectacular!

if you didn't know how VAT works, you would think these states volunteered their IGR to share with the rest of the country.

In reality, they were only points of entry as seaports or International airports of the federal government. Whereby most of the cleared goods are transported for use in other parts of the country where consumers actually pay the real cost for the good!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by gnykelly(m): 8:08pm On May 07, 2020
stop spewing thrash. VAT is collected at source not the directly by the end user...those companies sells their product in those places not included

2 Likes

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by YorubaHero12: 8:21pm On May 07, 2020
Wiseandtrue:

Majority of the Igbos\other tribes are living there and they pay their taxes there as well

That’s not my question.

The question is what does the SE region contribute to the National purse?

I think SE are the real parasite in Nigeria and not the North. They contribute nothing which explained why they always link themselves to the SS every time.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by MasterKernel: 8:23pm On May 07, 2020
jumper524:
We go soon realise say rivers dey overrated.
Make jungle mature first..

Sorry if I may ask, how much does Lagos generate internal per year? How come anytime crude sales stale, Nigeria economy and Lagos inclusive in red?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: These Five States Account For 87 % Of Nigeria’s VAT Revenue by danietohbadt(m): 8:23pm On May 07, 2020
Wiseandtrue:

Na aboki con dey live for the 5 igbo states?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This FOOLISH Comment Got 1,000 Likes On Nairaland - My Response To Crush It / Senate Starts Debate On Same-sex Marriage Prohibition Bill / Should Nigerian Governors' Forum Be Banned Or Disbanded?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.