Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,265 members, 7,811,751 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition (887 Views)

If I Demand N20bn Every Month, It’s Politics’ – Wike Justifies Fight With Fubara / Rivers Hotel Demolition: Ogoni Women Protest Topless Over Manager's Detention / Hotel Demolition: Sowore Reacts "Wike Is Mad, He’ll Pay For His Sins One Day!" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by EtteP(m): 4:42pm On May 11, 2020
Former President of the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Chief Onueze Okocha (SAN) has defended the actions of Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, including his recent demolition of two hotels in the state, saying the governor acted appropriately.
Okocha advised persons uncomfortable with the Executive Orders which the governor relied on to pull down the two hotels, to approach the courts.

Speaking in Port Harcourt, Okocha lauded the steps taken by the governor to fight coronavirus insisting they were designed to check the spread of the virus.

He said: “I believe strongly that the measures taken by the Rivers State Government, particularly the Governor, Nyesom Wike are well thought out, well advised and I believe that they will to a large extent help us to avoid or at least minimize to the barest level the spread of this coronavirus that they now say causes the illness they called COVID 19.

“And the Executive Orders put in place by the state governor are appropriate. Everybody accepts that they are calculated to secure our safety and to reduce to the barest minimum the spread of this coronavirus. So I don’t believe that anybody has quarreled with any of these orders.

“What I have heard are people flouting those orders and Nigerians sometimes do not understand, some of these measures put in place, some of these regulations, these laws and orders are for there own good, and everybody should do each of their very best to comply with them.”

He said the state’s Quarantine Coronavirus (COVID 19) and other Infectious Diseases Regulations No. 2 of 2020 was in line with Quarantine Act of the Federal Government.

“It’s not everything that is going to be on written law. By the authority of written law, some orders are made, some regulations are put in place and those flow naturally from the provisions of written law.

“This is why the Rivers State Government passed a law recently and we also have the Federal Act, Quarantine Act and many other such regulations that are aimed at dealing with safety and security and then health and wellbeing of the people.
“So, anybody that is arguing that the Executive Orders are unconstitutional should know his options.

“He should seek legal advice and if necessary go and challenge those orders in a court of law, duly constituted.”

On the demolition of Prodest Hotel, Alode, Eleme and Etemeteh Hotel, Onne in Eleme Local Government Area, Okocha justified the actions of the governor.

He said: “I do not blame the governor for his action because I am aware that the regulation was put in place over two weeks ago for hoteliers and those operating drinking parlours and entertainment centres to close down at least temporarily until we get grip on how to deal this coronavirus pandemic.

“Now people have been making all kinds if comments, the press and I have heard some on the airwaves. They do not seem to know the full facts of the matter”

“Yes, there was a regulation put in place long before now regarding the lockdown we have had in Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt City Local Government Areas. I hear that this happened in Eleme Local Government Area.

“Two hotels and they were warned to stop operating. Indeed, a taskforce was sent to remind them about the Executive Order put in place by the governor and they got their thugs and some local boys to beat members of the taskforce, so the Governor left with no other option wielded the big stick.

“So, the governor I think was justified in wielding the big stick on the hoteliers and anybody who feels that he has any reason to dispute should approach the appropriate quarters and let’s us see how far that approach will get him.”

Source: https://thenationonlineng.net/ex-nba-president-defends-wike-justifies-hotel-demolition/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Melezenawii: 4:43pm On May 11, 2020
My Earlier Post:

Was the Executive Order consistent with the Constitution of the Federal Republic Citizen's right to Fair Hearing?

How can you be Legislature, Executive and Judiciary at the same time?

Was there any Court or Mobile Court in which the accused were tried, convicted, sentenced and relevant sanction given by learned magistrate or judge ?

Some of these SANs are out there to support their paymasters

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by gamapoy539: 4:43pm On May 11, 2020
ty
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by festacman(m): 4:44pm On May 11, 2020
I expect nothing less from OCJ Okocha being a close pal of Governor Nyesom Wike. His hands are tied. He has to back a friend especially one that drops largesse at this time of need.

However, this jaundiced opinion of OCJ Okocha and more cronies who will crawl out of their shells to help clean up Wike's mess in days ahead will NEVER justify the lawlessness and recklessness of Wike in demolishing those hotels.

By the way, what if following the consistent antagonism and aggression of Gov. Wike against FG, President Buhari instigates spate of violence in Rivers State and uses it as an excuse to declare state of emergency in the State and appoint a military administrator in place of Gov. Wike in line with his powers in Section 305 of the 1999 Constitution . Won't these lawyers cry tyranny?

2 Likes

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Aufbauh(m): 4:44pm On May 11, 2020
Mr Sycophant, you should have known that not everything permissible by law is beneficial or admissible. This is where justice should have a human face.
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by PassingShot(m): 4:44pm On May 11, 2020
Devil aka Satan has his own supporters and followers.

So, not surprised.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Iyiataata92: 4:46pm On May 11, 2020
This man has simply said what Nairalanders seem to be missing since.
There was a law in place before the action. And the hoteliers were aware of such law. Even the punishment was spelt out. And they were even personally warned but unleashed thugs on the taskforce.

If really this hotelier who closed his shop in Lagos and stayed at home in his Lagos residence but opened his hotel in Porthacourt feels he is a victim of power abuse, the court is there waiting for his file.

Go To Court!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Karlifate: 4:48pm On May 11, 2020
Yes! They disobeyed an executive order BUT you should not become a tyrant because of that.
The buildings were demolished & the thugs/local boys that assaulted the taskforce members were not apprehended... Jokers!

1 Like

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by izzou(m): 4:49pm On May 11, 2020
PassingShot:
Devil aka Satan has his own supporters and followers.

So, not surprised.

Ogaaa

E don tey wey you show up here

Your boy dey hail
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by PassingShot(m): 4:52pm On May 11, 2020
izzou:

Ogaaa

E don tey wey you show up here

Your boy dey hail
My Izon brother, long time indeed. I mostly read comments nowadays and only post occasionally.
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Piggyyeasters(f): 4:55pm On May 11, 2020
If any Northern Governor demolish any building some children of hate from that rejected region will be everywhere shouting Muslims are terrorists
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by GamalNasser: 5:01pm On May 11, 2020
Just look at what a past NBA lawyer is saying abeg ...so Wike can be the accuser , the law and judge in his own case ? In essence this lawyer is saying there is no need for the Judiciary or laws or lawyers ..just because of small contract he is expecting from Wike see how a grown ass man is saying nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Snaagg(m): 5:04pm On May 11, 2020
Fact is: Nigeria is run by Orangutans!

1 Like

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by pennywys(m): 5:04pm On May 11, 2020
cheesy

Okocha is Wike's colleague in tyranny

I believe they must belong to the same accult
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Lubumbashi: 5:09pm On May 11, 2020
Lawyers are feeding fat off democracy.

1 Like

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Iyiataata92: 5:14pm On May 11, 2020
Karlifate:
Yes! They disobeyed an executive order BUT you should not become a tyrant because of that.
The buildings were demolished & the thugs/local boys that assaulted the taskforce members were not apprehended... Jokers!
Government is not run on emotions.
You must follow laid down principles no matter whose ox is gored
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Dreal1247: 5:14pm On May 11, 2020
Believe it or not, Nigerians are very good in breaking of laws. When the lockdown was effected in US, I asked someone if there were police presence to enforce the compliance, she said that the people naturally obey laws. In Nigeria, you need all the security formations, the Executives plus traditional rulers and the Judiciary to enforce it.
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by AgroTrade: 5:18pm On May 11, 2020
Wike over did it this time around.
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Karlifate: 5:19pm On May 11, 2020
Iyiataata92:

Government is not run on emotions.
You must follow laid down principles no matter whose ox is gored
Mr Wike was just being VINDICTIVE to show them that he's still in power.
Why are the thugs & local boys that assaulted the taskforce members still moving about freely, IF he was not being sentimental & partial in his judgement?

1 Like

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by flokii: 5:36pm On May 11, 2020
Onueze Okocha..

Na dem, rebels. Anywhere belle face

I hope GEJ and co in PDP are proud of their actions rigging Wike in. Una never see anything
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by izzou(m): 5:36pm On May 11, 2020
PassingShot:

My Izon brother, long time indeed. I mostly read comments nowadays and only post occasionally.

Na so e suppose be.

The bile here is just outta control grin

Well done, bros

1 Like

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by JubrinElSudan: 5:37pm On May 11, 2020
Immediately I saw ex-NBA presidio, OCJ Okocha came to my mind

1 Like

Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by overall90: 5:48pm On May 11, 2020
Most people criticizing Wike don't even reside in Rivers lol.
they are angry that Rivers state is not recording covid-19 cases in hundreds like other areas.
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by seanfer(m): 6:18pm On May 11, 2020
What do you expect from OCJ Okocha who is number one beneficiary of Governor Wike? This are people advising Wike.
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by ambu2: 8:23am On May 12, 2020
Wike matter don dey die small small.
Re: Ex-NBA President Defends Wike, Justifies Hotel Demolition by Peterobi90: 8:25am On May 12, 2020
Wike did nothing wrong... the executive law was there and the consequences well spelt out..

We wont be saying all these If there happen to be covid cases arising from there..

(1) (Reply)

2023: The World Is Not Waiting For You. Keep Recycling Ancestors / When Over Sabi Ikwerri LGA Chairman, Ishi Samuel Chased People Out From UBA / Photos : Cross River Governor Ayade Cries On TV, Cancels Tax For Businesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.