Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,402 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? (3949 Views)

What Network Plan Are You Currently Using For Heavy Downloads? / What Phone Are You Currently Using? Pro's & Con's / Internet Plan You Are Currently Using On Your Phone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Dclique(m): 2:05am On Jan 14, 2011
Without requesting For Internet configuration settings, Or any other activity that requires you to provide info about your handset. Can Your service provider tell which kind of handset you are currently using?
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by malikalhaj: 5:23am On Jan 14, 2011
Dclique. . . . I have no idea if they no the kind of handset oooo. . . . But i have an idea Y U R asking. . . . C3
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by aieromon(m): 7:25am On Jan 14, 2011
I don't think they do
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by semid1(m): 8:01am On Jan 14, 2011
Hmm. . .I seriously doubt it but what of those who pushed zain internet settings into their phone from the dmc wap page? undecided

After all, phone no was one of the info required and given for the phone to be activated?
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Mobinga: 8:21am On Jan 14, 2011
yes they can!!! of-course!!
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Dclique(m): 8:30am On Jan 14, 2011
@malikalhaj, i understand where you are going but its not about C3, its something i've had on my mind for a long time, and i decided to ask some of the really smart guys on nairaland.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Woke4all(m): 9:26am On Jan 14, 2011
Sure!

Even some sites detects the model of phone/PC you're browsing with with
kiss
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by semid1(m): 10:32am On Jan 14, 2011
For those saying YES with all certainty. . .pray, tell, how can MTN tell the kinda phone I'm using after all. I activated my internet settings by just sending a SMS to 3888 and I've never supplied them any info as to the kinda phone I'm using.

It's only in certain cases (like that dmc.ng.zain com activation wap page) jare not ALL
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Ibomade1: 10:35am On Jan 14, 2011
Not always.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by semid1(m): 10:49am On Jan 14, 2011
semid+:

Hmm. . .I seriously doubt it but what of those who pushed zain internet settings into their phone from the dmc wap page? undecided

After all, phone no was one of the info required and given for the phone to be activated?

Oops! I meant to say phone type and not phone no
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by aieromon(m): 11:22am On Jan 14, 2011
Woke4all:

Sure!

Even some sites detects the model of phone/PC you're browsing with with
kiss

If they do,how come CC always ask for the type of handset you are using whenever you have internet issues?
They can track your location from the nearest base station feeding signals to your phone but not the model except you give it to them.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Mobinga: 11:34am On Jan 14, 2011
aieromon:

If they do,how come CC always ask for the type of handset you are using whenever you have internet issues?
They can track your location from the nearest base station feeding signals to your phone but not the model except you give it to them.
They do that because you might not necessarily be using your handset to call them.

When you send a message to 3888. It immediately sends back your internet configuration for that particular phone. They can't send a S40 configuration file to a S60.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Dclique(m): 11:44am On Jan 14, 2011
You have a point.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Mobinga: 11:57am On Jan 14, 2011
Thank You. I always do. cool
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by aieromon(m): 12:04pm On Jan 14, 2011
Get my point,the system will recognise the OS of the phone after running compatibility checks but not the exact model.They still need the model details from you.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Dclique(m): 12:26pm On Jan 14, 2011
But if they can, Then why do they always ask for our Phone Make and Model

aieromon:

Get my point,the system will recognise the OS of the phone after running compatibility checks but not the exact model.They still need the model details from you.
You are saying Partial Dectection, We are saying Total OR Non.

Oga Semid abeg put up A Poll
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Dclique(m): 12:30pm On Jan 14, 2011

aieromon:

You are saying Partial Detection* We are saying Total OR Non.

Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by duintes: 12:38pm On Jan 14, 2011
Dclique:

You are saying Partial Detection* We are saying Total OR Non.

Operators are able to tell categorically what phone type and model you are using. But the question here should be at what point do they drill down to the level of knowing your phone type? So the frontline reps may not have the need to see your phone type before attending to you while if you are in for something serious (God forbid), such applications might be called up. Don't forget that each phone has IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity). You see this by dialling *#06# - irrespective of your phone type and network operator. The IMEI is unique to every phone. So this presupposes that each OEM would have a code in the IMEI that would identify them as the manufacturer.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:40pm On Jan 14, 2011
mese gini? poll for what?

they can simple. whether u agree or not.

or rather, let me qualify my statement, they can if ur using a smartphone. everyone of dem has and broadcasts a UA id. if u can hack the internals to get at the UA, u can change it. i can do dat on my samsung, i just dont know the proper c3 UA else i would have changed it to dat and enjoyed the c3 package.

i also asked my MtN pals, he confirmed it. i have called cc b4 and lied abt my fone model number and the chap caught me out.

they ask to verify identity, location etc. u could be a tiff, its standard practice, just as they ask u to bring ur mom bec u wan buy anything from their shops

e.o.d
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by semid1(m): 12:43pm On Jan 14, 2011
A Poll can only be added to any topic in this section by the S-Moderator or the Admin undecided

Remember, posts cannot be modified in this section cry  wink
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by lynxnoon(m): 12:53pm On Jan 14, 2011
simply put:
YES
smiley wink
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Mobinga: 12:59pm On Jan 14, 2011
4llerbuntu:

or rather, let me qualify my statement, they can if your using a smartphone. everyone of dem has and broadcasts a UA id. if u can hack the internals to get at the UA, u can change it. i can do dat on my samsung, i just dont know the proper c3 UA else i would have changed it to dat and enjoyed the c3 package.

i also asked my MtN pals, he confirmed it. i have called cc b4 and lied abt my fone model number and the chap caught me out.

they ask to verify identity, location etc. u could be a tiff, its standard practice, just as they ask u to bring your mom bec u wan buy anything from their shops

e.o.d
lynxnoon:

simply put:
YES
smiley wink

That is all
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Mobinga: 1:03pm On Jan 14, 2011
Of course they have access to the database but it's not what they use.
They can easily look up from their own records what IMEIs have been used
with your SIM card.

Every call you make on a GSM network is logged for time of call, duration of
call, number dialled, SIM number dialled from (this should never change) and
the IMEI of the handset used to make the call. This is how the networks can
tell the IMEI number of a handset you have reported stolen if this was the
handset your SIM was last used in to make a call before it was stolen. The
chances of the networks caring enough to check whether or not you used a
phone that they had provided a 'replacement' for are very slim (providing
this was just a straight forward GOGW handset and not an insurance claim
etc).
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by duintes: 1:55pm On Jan 14, 2011
4llerbuntu:

or rather, let me qualify my statement, they can if your using a smartphone. everyone of dem has and broadcasts a UA id. if u can hack the internals to get at the UA, u can change it. i can do dat on my samsung, i just dont know the proper c3 UA else i would have changed it to dat and enjoyed the c3 package.

4llerbuntu link=topic=585437.msg7531089#msg7531089 date=1295005227:

they ask to verify identity, location etc. u could be a tiff, its standard practice, just as they ask u to bring your mom bec u wan buy anything from their shops

e.o.d

e.o.d

Whether you use a smartphone or not, it is possible to tell, In fact, some applications are able to give you a history of all phones used by a particular number. That is, it gives you the date and time a number used a particular phone. Once you remove that sim (line) and use it on another phone, it captures same.

That is why I strongly advise anyone who cares to listen "Do not use/buy a used phone" - you never can tell what the previous owner did with phone. Also, if you lose your phone, endeavour to report to the Police and get a report - you never can tell who the subsequent user is, in either case, you will be a link in the chain.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Dclique(m): 2:04pm On Jan 14, 2011
That should only concern GSM users abroad not here in 9ja. Who the hell cares about the former owner(s) and what they did with the phone, as long as the thing is working perfectly, its marketable. Thats what an igbo man will tell you. Lol
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by xreal: 2:14pm On Jan 14, 2011
simply YES; they can.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Dclique(m): 2:21pm On Jan 14, 2011
@mobinga, i disagree, When i was registering for my BB service for the 1st time. The zain c.care rep asked for my BB IMEI number, why didn't he just look it up on the system. . .

The level of technology use by Service Providers in the country is Low. Thats what am trying to point out.

I am sure MTN South Africa cc would be able to detect Everytime a SIM is changed and inserted into a new phone.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by duintes: 2:26pm On Jan 14, 2011
Dclique:

That should only concern GSM users abroad not here in 9ja. Who the hell cares about the former owner(s) and what they did with the phone, as long as the thing is working perfectly, its marketable. Thats what an igbo man will tell you. Lol

No sir, even locally. People have been arrested because they shared same phones with kidnappers, armed robbers etc. Hope you get my point. The Police is legally empowered to make such arrests when they are in the course of an investigation, have you been to a Police station in Nigeria before? A word is enough.
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by duintes: 2:31pm On Jan 14, 2011
Dclique:

@mobinga, i disagree, When i was registering for my BB service for the 1st time. The zain c.care rep asked for my BB IMEI number, why didn't he just look it up on the system. . .

The level of technology use by Service Providers in the country is Low. Thats what am trying to point out.

I am sure MTN South Africa cc would be able to detect Everytime a SIM is changed and inserted into a new phone.

When you were registering for the first time, they asked for your IMEI, How else would they have seen your IMEI when you haven't logged on to their network. Assuming they would have to ask RIM for the information, what will they ask for? That one dude came in with a BBxxxx, what is the IMEI, please? Or maybe wave a wand round it and the IMEI would appear? Technology no be magic bruv, The person did not want to invade your privacy that is why they are for it, otherwise, they know how to get it from your phone. Now tell us, after you have logged on to their network, have they asked you for your IMEI again?
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Dclique(m): 2:34pm On Jan 14, 2011
Point of Correction, Same Phones or Same SIM cards
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by duintes: 2:37pm On Jan 14, 2011
@Dclique:
Same phones - not sims (lines).
Re: Can Service Providers Tell The Kind Of Handset You Are 'currently' Using? by Dclique(m): 2:42pm On Jan 14, 2011
Ofcus they wouldn't ask for it again because i have already given it to them and it has been registered on their system.
The arguement here is can they auto detect it?

Take note of this, during Glo BB registration, they wouldn't ask for you for anything. Its just Via a simple Text

(1) (2) (Reply)

Samsung Galaxy J Announced On NTT Docomo: Note 3 Specs In Galaxy S4 Body / Link To Download Wwe2k14.iso For Psp Plss???? / Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.