Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Do You Speak French Fluently? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Speak French Fluently? (5301 Views)

If You Can Pronounce This Whole Poem, You Speak English Better Than 90% Of Us / Can U Speak French / Learn How To Speak French Within A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by adewaleafolabi(m): 2:55pm On Jun 13, 2007
i live in ilupeju. where are u?
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:09pm On Jun 13, 2007
sorry i don't speak igbo but i have friends that speak igbo they'll help you
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:25pm On Jun 13, 2007
ok you're in luck a friend says it means an old man who isn't straight forward or who knows the truth and doesn't tell it or an old man thas is just plain evil. note i don't speak igbo so don't take any drastic action
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by WesleyanA(f): 3:20am On Jun 16, 2007
Raf!:

@WesleyanA:
I have a CD conataining some of Poetic Lover's songs; I lived in Cameroon for 10 years
How do I get them to you?

Oh thanks a lot for your kindness!!!!

you can upload it to your computer. does your computer play audio cds?
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by drrionelli(m): 8:11pm On Jun 16, 2007
@adewaleafolabi:
I am most appreciative of your assistance!  Thank you!  I really must learn at least some basic aspects of Igbo.  I see it's spoken here, on occasion, and I'd like to better understand the things I read.   cheesy

Do you know of any good "self-teaching" methods?
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by iginla(m): 7:00pm On Jun 17, 2007
Hi Guyz,
I am glad adewaleafolabi made this post,I'm currently studying French language @Alliance Franc.in Ikoyi for almost a month now and I seems to be losing interest because it seems am not catching up as expected.I'll appreciate all forms assistance that you guys can give me.

Thank you
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by nferyn(m): 10:12pm On Jun 17, 2007
As I'm living in a country that is half french speaking and that one of my compatriots has written the best romantic song ever, I gladly post the lyrics here:

Ne Me Quitte Pas - Jacques Brel

Ne me quitte pas
Il faut oublier
Tout peut s'oublier
Qui s'enfuit deja
Oublier le temps
Des malentendus
Et le temps perdu
A savoir comment
Oublier ces heures
Qui tuaient parfois
A coups de pourquoi
Le coeur du bonheur
Ne me quitte pas (4 fois)

Moi je t'offrirai
Des perles de pluie
Venues de pays
Où il ne pleut pas
Je creuserai la terre
Jusqu'apres ma mort
Pour couvrir ton corps
D'or et de lumière
Je ferai un domaine
Où l'amour sera roi
Où l'amour sera loi
Où tu seras reine

Ne me quitte pas
Je t'inventerai
Des mots insensés
Que tu comprendras
Je te parlerai
De ces amants là
Qui ont vu deux fois
Leurs coeurs s'embraser
Je te racont'rai
L'histoire de ce roi
Mort de n'avoir pas
Pu te rencontrer

On a vu souvent
Rejaillir le feu
De l'ancien volcan
Qu'on croyait trop vieux
Il est paraît-il
Des terres brûlées
Donnant plus de blé
Qu'un meilleur avril
Et quand vient le soir
Pour qu'un ciel flamboie
Le rouge et le noir
Ne s'épousent-ils pas

Ne me quitte pas
Je ne vais plus pleurer
Je ne vais plus parler
Je me cacherai là
À te regarder
Danser et sourire
Et à t'écouter
Chanter et puis rire
Laisse-moi devenir
L'ombre de ton ombre
L'ombre de ta main
L'ombre de ton chien
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Tats(m): 1:08am On Jun 18, 2007
Drrionelli, you did a very good job of translating it correctly.

The sentence in French should have read:

Notre amour est  plus profond que  la vie  et  plus   beau      que   l'or  ou l'argent
(Our    love   is      deeper      than  life   &  more beautiful  than  Gold  or  Money)

and not

Ntre amour ests plus profound quue lavie et plus beau que d'or et d'arqent

adewaleafolabi,  Je vous encourage à apprendre le français et l'espagnol. Ils sont des langues très intéressantes! J'apprends l'espagnol moi-même après étude du français. J'ai deja fait le Certificat II, quand j'etais au Nigéria. je parle aussi un peu de la langue portugaise. Il y a un chanteur espagnol qui s'appelle CHAYANNE. Il est un bon chanteur!
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Tats(m): 1:27am On Jun 18, 2007
Iginla, do not loose interest. Try and learn how to conjugate verbs properly and also learn a lot of words and you will see that it is not that difficult. French has rules, so try and learn the rules. Also learn the standard pronunciations like oi pronounced wa, example (Moi - pronounced Mwa, toi), ou pronounced ooh, eau pronounced as oh (eau, beau) and wherever they appear, you will be able to speak them correctly. Make sure you go back and learn the Alphabets pronunciation in the correct way and then all the accents (Grave, aigu and circonflex) on e, c and other alphabets.

Use google language translation capability to translate words that you do not understand in french or translate english to french. It may not give you an entirely correct sentence, but it will point you in the right direction (Go to google home page, then click on language tools). Get a very good French dictionary like Harraps (the Large one) and listen to tapes. Do not be afraid to practice the language and be passionate about it!
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by iginla(m): 5:47am On Jun 18, 2007
Thank you [b]TAT[/b]for those words of encouragement I'll do as you've advised but I can't lay my hands on any tape or CD,can you or any other person help?
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Tats(m): 11:13am On Jun 18, 2007
iginla:

Thank you [b]TAT[/b]for those words of encouragement I'll do as you've advised but I can't lay my hands on any tape or CD,can you or any other person help?

If I remember correctly, the class books sold in Alliance Francaise are usually sold with tapes. if they still sell them, you may want to buy and use for practice.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Mustay(m): 1:23am On Jun 19, 2007
Where can one get TEACHING AUDIOS in Lagos and is there any centre where one can learn in Lagos as per weekends?
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Tats(m): 8:03pm On Jun 19, 2007
You can learn French during the weekends at Alliance Francaise in Yaba or Ikoyi. They would point you to where you can get learning aid from.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Mustay(m): 3:18am On Jun 20, 2007
Yaba- is't the one located where those abc transport guys are located i.e. Jibowu?
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by WesleyanA(f): 9:10am On Jun 20, 2007
those are really nice lyrics @nferyn.
everything just seems to sound so much more romantic in French. i don't know why. lol embarassed

I think i'm getting better because i could read the lyrics without using Google translator much (just about 6-7 difficult words).
i think it's very worth it to learn French. procrastination kills though.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by nferyn(m): 9:45am On Jun 20, 2007
WesleyanA:

those are really nice lyrics @nferyn.
everything just seems to sound so much more romantic in French. i don't know why. lol embarassed

I think i'm getting better because i could read the lyrics without using Google translator much (just about 6-7 difficult words).
i think it's very worth it to learn French. procrastination kills though.
French is a very rich poetic language. Try to read some Baudelaire.

You should hear Brel sing, a tormented soul in love. It always brings tears to my eyes, I just can't help it.
Anyway, if you want the mp3, I can send it to you. Just send me an email and I'll get to it when I'm back home.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by UsherGurl(f): 10:41pm On Jun 20, 2007
Salut!
Bah moi je suis francophone et donc si vous avez besoin d'apprendre la langue ben faites-moi signe! wink wink
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by drrionelli(m): 11:42pm On Jun 20, 2007
@Tats:

Thank you--or should I say, merci   grin--for your very kind words!  It has been such a long time since I was able to speak French with others, as where I live it is not a very common language.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by manulove(f): 11:30am On Jun 21, 2007
Salut, ushergurl. comme ça il y a des francophones sur ce forum? je suis plus que surprise, Dis moi t'es Sénégalaise ou Nigériane?
@tats. Je dois dire que ton français n'est pas mal non plus. Même si il y a encore quelques legers problèmes de formulation wink Mais sinon, bon courage!!

As for me, french is my first language so i actually speak it better than i speak english. I love languages and i'm learning Arabic, German, Yoruba, Spanish and Japanese too!! cool But i just started them this year so,

Make una no mind me oh!! The thin be say, language be the only thing wey fit enter my head, Maths, Physic and other no fit
p.s: I speak pigin english too, grin
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Tats(m): 11:40am On Jun 21, 2007
Mustay:

Yaba- is't the one located where those abc transport guys are located i.e. Jibowu?

Alliance Francaise Yaba is on Herbert Macauly Road. There is actually a language school near ABC in Jibowu and I think it is called Easy School of languages. It could be a good option also. The only difference is that Alliance Francaise is an international institution.

manulove:

@tats. Je dois dire que ton français n'est pas mal non plus. Même si il y a encore quelques legers problèmes de formulation wink Mais sinon, bon courage!!

As for me, french is my first language so i actually speak it better than i speak english. I love languages and i'm learning Arabic, German, Yoruba, Spanish and Japanese too!! cool But i just started them this year so,

Make una no mind me oh!! The thin be say, language be the only thing wey fit enter my head, Maths, Physic and other no fit
p.s: I speak pigin english too, grin
@Manulove, thanks. I am still trying to perfect my French, not easy though if you don't live in a French country. So I intend to continue French studies and make trips. I love languages too and speak a bit of some other European languages, and at least Maths, Physics, e.t.c still find chance enter my head!
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2007
bonsoir tout le mon. je essaie parler francais mais quelque-fois le francais est compliqué. au revoir. merci mes amis
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Mustay(m): 5:31pm On Jun 21, 2007
@ tats can you post more details please?
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Tats(m): 6:49pm On Jun 21, 2007
Mustay:

@ tats can you post more details please?
I would appreciate your letting me know what I should post more details about. Specify them.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by WesleyanA(f): 8:56pm On Jun 21, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

bonsoir tout le mon. je essaie parler francais mais quelque-fois le francais est compliqué. au revoir. merci mes amis

je suis d'accord. lol. le francais est complique.

bon chance. tongue cheesy
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by drrionelli(m): 9:30pm On Jun 21, 2007
Je veux parler Igbo et Yoruba. Est-ce qu'ils sont difficilles?
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Ejirox(m): 9:44pm On Jun 21, 2007
Bonsoir ! good evening, petite , a little French, je parle, i speak, men God have mercy, merci, French is a beautiful language serious,
ma mere elle parles anglais et yoruba
mon pere il parles anglais, et urhobo,
oui,
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Tats(m): 12:46am On Jun 22, 2007
Ejirox:

Bonsoir ! good evening, petite , a little French, je parle, i speak, men God have mercy, merci, French is a beautiful language serious,
ma mere elle parles anglais et yoruba
mon pere il parles anglais, et urhobo,
oui,

lol  smiley. U try well well. Keep it up and you will surely speak it well. Bonne chance.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:02am On Jun 22, 2007
le yoruba est moins compliqué que le francais. mais deux langues est très semblable. sauf pour le genres dans en francais. j'aime le francais beaucoup.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Mustay(m): 8:31am On Jun 22, 2007
O! The school at herbert macaulay. Weekend lessons? Audio? Etc
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Mustay(m): 8:33am On Jun 22, 2007
As per what the school offers.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Tats(m): 1:09am On Jun 23, 2007
Alright. This is the website of the global body http://www.alliancefr.org/sommaire.php3?lang=en . See what they offer. Check for global locations and view the locations in Nigeria. They usually have different classes depending on your level of French knowledge. They also offer weekdays and weekend classes and you could choose a time that fits your schedule. They do have the support of the French Government to encourage the learning of French. I suggest you pop in to one of their offices to learn more.
Re: Do You Speak French Fluently? by Mustay(m): 11:28pm On Jun 23, 2007
Merci

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Christian Pilgrim Commission Possible Exam Questions / Things To Bring Along To Campus As A Fresher / Statement Of Result Or Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.