Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,383 members, 7,815,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call (56624 Views)

Paystack Sacks 33 Employees In Dubai & Europe - CEO / Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video / Adenuga's Globacom Sacks 90 Married Female Staff - LasgidiOnline.com.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by dahnimoh(m): 7:09pm On May 14, 2020
Ok.

When Atiku laid off his staff, people that have not been in business before started throwing tantrums on him.

PEOPLE that have been feeding on govt.

PEOPLE that don't know what it means to manage a profit making organisation.

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by SavageResponse(m): 7:09pm On May 14, 2020
Fvck sh1t!
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by bukatyne(f): 7:09pm On May 14, 2020
So so sad.

God help us.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Xionez(m): 7:10pm On May 14, 2020
Great Depression indeed.
Respect goes out to the companies that didn't layoff a single worker...and still survived the pandemic. They need to be inducted into the Blue Chip league.

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 14, 2020
There is no easy or empathetic way to fire someone. Just as you know death might come at anytime same way you should expect a sack letter with no notice.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by aliyuabbaashiru(m): 7:11pm On May 14, 2020
How so?
GamalNasser:
Ubers business model is too vulnerable
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by kinsogee: 7:11pm On May 14, 2020
corona virus wicked ooo.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by linearity: 7:11pm On May 14, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
I don't know how this uber works, but I know that the cars are mostly owned by the employees right? they should carry their car and enter road and work for theirselves...that app company is a rip off ...

This does not affect drivers, these are Uber employees who work 9-5 at Uber offices.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Acidosis(m): 7:11pm On May 14, 2020
pablobellins:

yh very smart move. Laid off member can always use their cabbie independently.

U wont believe someone said '' Uber nah job?''

Drivers under the Uber platform are not employees. They're referred to as independent contractors. The affected persons are core employees like customer support personnel, not your regular Uber driver.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by ideabuilder: 7:11pm On May 14, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
oga teach me

The ones sacked are the office staff. The drivers you're referring to are not staff, they more less like a partner. They cannot be sacked without the drivers there is no Uber

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by WaffenSS(m): 7:12pm On May 14, 2020
GamalNasser:
Ubers business model is too vulnerable

On the contrary, it's great

A taxi company that owns no taxis?

A business that earns millions through just a single app that does nothing but connect drivers with passengers?

That's a disruptive model, and it's even more amazing when you consider that they started when the world was reeling from the 2008 global recession.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Denique(f): 7:13pm On May 14, 2020
It has to be its administrative staff as drivers pay themselves. So there's no point sacking them.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by flokii: 7:13pm On May 14, 2020
Season of looming job losses.. it's just sad especially for breadwinners and their families
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by kemii2288: 7:13pm On May 14, 2020
[color=#] 3396196[/color]
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by eneyoduke(m): 7:14pm On May 14, 2020
Is okay.........just last week I deleted their apps from my phone as if I knew. grin cool
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by WaffenSS(m): 7:15pm On May 14, 2020
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by WaffenSS(m): 7:15pm On May 14, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Wetin we go call this one now
Lay off or zoom off

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Nobody: 7:16pm On May 14, 2020
Omg

Check my signature to get your high quality home made dog food
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Chirowman(m): 7:17pm On May 14, 2020
this pandemic is affecting all business .especially business that has huge staff ,no worker would want to be owed salaries because they have wants and businesses might pack up paying salaries without profit .to all those been sacked,those finding it difficult to feed God is your strength this shall pass too.depression is high now to those who are in position to help please be your brothers keeper your little aid can go a long way in saving life's .
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 14, 2020
One of the worst year in the history of modern world. SO SO bad news from the beginning of the year, God help us all during this trying time.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Xisnin(m): 7:18pm On May 14, 2020
AureliusWolf:

This self-proclaimed billionaire genius again grin
You are here criticizing a model that pioneered the ridehailing industry, Which business model you get? Honestly, you talk alot of smack and thrash

Be respectful grin
Fixed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by GamalNasser: 7:20pm On May 14, 2020
AureliusWolf:

This self-proclaimed genius again grin
You are here criticizing a model that pioneered the ridehailing industry, Which business model you get? Honestly, you talk alot of smack and thrash

What do you know about top flight business ..A business model that has not turned a profit in 11 years and is stIll doing high cash burn with Investor money yet you think it's a stable business model?

Uber is very vulnerable :

To unions
To regulators
To any crisis that show up
Vulnerable to local competition
Vulnerable to safety issues

With loss after loss after loss and failed IPO the Uber ride hailing model will soon be a dinosaur is nothing is done to rethink it.

You are a subsidized man who has never done any big business so next time don't come and argue with shark and king disruptor in Africa and very soon the entire world .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by GamalNasser: 7:21pm On May 14, 2020
WaffenSS:

On the contrary, it's great

A taxi company that owns no taxis?

A business that earns millions through just a single app that does nothing but connect drivers with passengers?

That's a disruptive model, and it's even more amazing when you consider that they started when the world was reeling from the 2008 global recession.

It's a nice idea but the model is vulnerable and that's why after 11 years they haven't turned a single profit till date

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Cakephp44: 7:23pm On May 14, 2020
Really hard times.. Sobs
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Fabkimzzy1: 7:23pm On May 14, 2020
gambia:
China and W.H.O are the architect of all these problems.

Not Gate again abi? Continue
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by GamalNasser: 7:24pm On May 14, 2020
aliyuabbaashiru:
How so?

An 11 year old company that's has not turned a profit till date , that is vulnerable to regulators ,that is still burning investor funds ...don't you think Uber is vulnerable ?

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by edoairways: 7:24pm On May 14, 2020
DonFreshmoney:
Jobless people. Uber na job
Job is a piece of work, especially a specific task done as part of the routine of one's occupation or for an agreed price. Uber na job heh better pass yahoo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 14, 2020
Another example of why self employment is bae.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Golan007: 7:26pm On May 14, 2020
pablobellins:

yh very smart move. Laid off member can always use their cabbie independently.

U wont believe someone said '' Uber nah job?''

I don't think it's the cab drivers they laid off.

I think it was all the ancillary staff.

I still used uber on Tuesday and before then I had come across this announcement.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Mcslize: 7:26pm On May 14, 2020
Bola146:
Jesus!!! When will all these end

Bola Bola, hope you ain't laid off. If not I won't mind staging a protest for u right away.

Where did I keep that my protest sign board sef?
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by RaptorX: 7:27pm On May 14, 2020
DonFreshmoney:
Jobless people. Uber na job
The people fired are not the drivers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 14, 2020
Bola146:
Jesus!!! When will all these ends

It will end in the second coming of Christ. There will be no weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Have you given your life to Christ? Are you rapturable?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS / The Query Letter Given To An Employee Of Toro LGA, Bauchi State / Thread On Volunteering Opportunities In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.