Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call (56623 Views)

Paystack Sacks 33 Employees In Dubai & Europe - CEO / Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video / Adenuga's Globacom Sacks 90 Married Female Staff - LasgidiOnline.com.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by ovieigho(m): 7:28pm On May 14, 2020
gambia:
China and W.H.O are the architect of all these problems.
China and who? are you talking about

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Seun360(m): 7:28pm On May 14, 2020
Last last, Bôlt will acquire them.
Useless coy.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Counselor123: 7:29pm On May 14, 2020
Someone told me that WWIII will be fought without a single bullet but I never knew it will start in 2020.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Osidazz19: 7:30pm On May 14, 2020
I don't think Uber has ever made any profit since it started.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 14, 2020
WaffenSS:

On the contrary, it's great

A taxi company that owns no taxis?

A business that earns millions through just a single app that does nothing but connect drivers with passengers?

That's a disruptive model, and it's even more amazing when you consider that they started when the world was reeling from the 2008 global recession.

It is flawed business model for being built on exploiting their drivers and putting most of their business risks on them. They have to be constantly recruiting drivers now they are laying off those staff doing the recruiting . Uber is finally on its death bed if they fail to recruit enough drivers the whole set will collapse very quickly.

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by yom2(m): 7:32pm On May 14, 2020
davibid:
No be waiting corona dey find

I no know which kind nonsense virus be this way just come dey spoil things for people
is it corona or their reactions
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by InvertedHammer: 7:32pm On May 14, 2020
/
How many days of rehearsal before she perfected the emotional firing act?

Zoom is firing made easy. No more disgruntled employees showing up with firearms.

2020 has ushered in new era of technology.

/
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Samueltimothy11: 7:32pm On May 14, 2020
Please God I am ready now.
Kill us wonce .it is finish
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Unrated900(m): 7:33pm On May 14, 2020
Shares for taxify likes for Uber.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by kemii8303: 7:37pm On May 14, 2020
[color=#] 2481257[/color]
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 14, 2020
bamite:

But when will you ever have sense?
When he stops sucking bress
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by sonnie10: 7:39pm On May 14, 2020
why work for Uber when you can invest in their stock and become part of this strategic repositioning.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by SavageResponse(m): 7:40pm On May 14, 2020
There is no easy way of doing this
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by ThatFairGuy: 7:45pm On May 14, 2020
[s]
imhotep:
When bamite and his APC followers reject sai babarism.
Cc lzaa
[/s] Trash
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by AureliusWolf: 7:48pm On May 14, 2020
GamalNasser:

What do you know about top flight business ..A business model that has not turned a profit in 11 years and is stIll doing high cash burn with Investor money yet you think it's a stable business model?

Uber is very vulnerable :

To unions
To regulators
To any crisis that show up
Vulnerable to local competition
Vulnerable to safety issues

With loss after loss after loss and failed IPO the Uber ride hailing model will soon be a dinosaur is nothing is done to rethink it.

You are a subsidized man who has never done any big business so next time don't come and argue with shark and king disruptor in Africa and very soon the entire world .
grin You're contemptuous and I'm very familiar with your character, but you are no close to the entrepreneurial brilliance and innovation that gave birth to Uber.

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Brunicekid(m): 7:50pm On May 14, 2020
softplace:
I hope airbnb doesn't collapse after this not necessarily because of covid-19 lockdown all over the world but people's reaction to allowing others stay in their house because of the fear of the virus

Meanwhile, Read on how to use email marketing to get clients HERE
I hope so too!!!
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Monday60655(m): 7:51pm On May 14, 2020
3500 gini? Chinekemeeeee!
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Nastofar(f): 7:52pm On May 14, 2020
This shouldn't happen in Naija o
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by GamalNasser: 7:54pm On May 14, 2020
AureliusWolf:

grin You're contemptuous and I'm very familiar with your character, but my point is, you are no close to the entrepreneurial brilliance and innovation that gave birth to Uber.

My business models are all more brilliant than that that brought forward UBER ..In a few years you will hear of Nigerian worth over 30 billion dollars that disrupted every thing from drugs to tech and when that happens know I am the one #certifiedgenius
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by AureliusWolf: 7:54pm On May 14, 2020
Xisnin:

Be respectful grin
Fixed
grin You no well, the guy is just a clown
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by SocialJustice: 7:55pm On May 14, 2020
pablobellins:

yh very smart move. Laid off member can always use their cabbie independently.

U wont believe someone said '' Uber nah job?''
Uber drivers are not Uber workers. Please read again more carefully. No mind that guy asking if Uber na job, that's the type of ignorance you have to deal with here.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:56pm On May 14, 2020
bmdmixer:
put them on pause seek tell them to seek another job, they b recalled when d economy bounce back n people start using cab again, i think this feels much better.

thats exactly what they are doing....sack them now (give them a severance package), and when the economy picks up, they may get their jobs back.....which is better than put them on leave with no pay!
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by kemii5101: 7:58pm On May 14, 2020
[color=#] 4263619[/color]
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by AureliusWolf: 8:00pm On May 14, 2020
GamalNasser:

My business models are all more brilliant than that that brought forward UBER ..In a few years you will hear of Nigerian worth over 30 billion dollars that disrupted every thing from drugs to tech and when that happens know I am the one #certifiedgenius
#certifiedclown grin

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by Tunagee(m): 8:00pm On May 14, 2020
imhotep:

When bamite and his APC followers reject sai babarism.

Cc lzaa

This is UBER international, not Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by pablobellins(m): 8:02pm On May 14, 2020
SocialJustice:
Uber drivers are not Uber workers. Please read again more carefully. No mind that guy asking if Uber na job, that's the type of ignorance you have to deal with here.
thanks; i was also pondering on that too. Cos i feel they need as many drivers as possible
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by akinolu66: 8:04pm On May 14, 2020
This is on called for
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by WaffenSS(m): 8:05pm On May 14, 2020
GenBuhari:
It is flawed business model for being built on exploiting their drivers and putting most of their business risks on them. They have to be constantly recruiting drivers now they are laying off those staff doing the recruiting . Uber is finally on its death bed if they fail to recruit enough drivers the whole set will collapse very quickly.

That volatility is the nature of the gig economy. However I don't fully agree that they exploit their drivers. The drivers want to be treated like employees when they're really partners. They want benefits and want to unionize just like full time employees. That's not how the gig economy works.
Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by WaffenSS(m): 8:09pm On May 14, 2020
GamalNasser:

It's a nice idea but the model is vulnerable and that's why after 11 years they haven't turned a single profit till date

Well I'll concede that's largely true, but since their revenue and market cap grew many times, perhaps they can break even or even turn q profit if they optimize costs.

Also those unionized and government-supported taxi companies really helped in creating apathy and regulations against Uber. Also don't forget they spent a great deal of time with a cantankerous CEO who nearly ruined the company.

Rival Lyft is on course to make profit sometime in 2021

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by SocialJustice: 8:10pm On May 14, 2020
pablobellins:
thanks; i was also pondering on that too. Cos i feel they need as many drivers as possible
I hope you've seen they work in Uber customer care. Uber has a large workforce. Drivers are like associates. Just like property owners are not Airbnb workers.

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by flexyrule(m): 8:11pm On May 14, 2020
pablobellins:

yh very smart move. Laid off member can always use their cabbie independently.

U wont believe someone said '' Uber nah job?''
That fellow made the dumbest comment of the century. He probably still lives with his mum.

1 Like

Re: Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call by backbone503(m): 8:12pm On May 14, 2020
Der own good. They'll file for unemployment and be getting stipends from govt.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS / The Query Letter Given To An Employee Of Toro LGA, Bauchi State / Thread On Volunteering Opportunities In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.