Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? (2234 Views)

Inside Real-life Leatherface House Where Victims Are Used For Masks, Belts (Pix) / Netflix Seeks Recruits For Real-life ‘squid Game / BBNaija: Housemates Up For Possible Eviction This Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by DriggityDre: 6:12pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:

People that works with transformers that steps up voltage to 330kV and current of over 6000A dont die in milliseconds. Again, radiations from electronics devices are not that harmful. angry
The energy will be massive, but when fusion reactor start to exist that won't be a problem. angry
First of, those people you speak of, still put on protective equipment. Even if you don't die the 1st time, prolonged exposure to any form of radiation is unsafe. Also, you can't compare a 330KV transformer to a suit of that caliber.
Transformers are like AA batteries when compared. As you said, the only hope to power a suit like Stark's, is with nuclear energy. The radiation resulting from that, will kill you unless you are protected. No contest.
I mean, can you imagine the amount of power flowing through that suit; [img]https://media1./images/94a72f8bc726ab28a0b75dfdc8bf6914/tenor.gif?itemid=14686233[/img]

I said later, there are materials that absorb heat internally. E.g. there is a metal that NASA uses on space shuttle that absorb heat and if you touch the outside you would feel just little amount of heat. Since the heat is internal, it can converted to another form of energy. angry
Easy to say, but not to implement. So far, we haven't been able to deal with this kind of energy. The closest we've gotten is nuclear energy, and we still haven't found a way to convert that to a safer form for the human body.
This metal you speak of, hasn't still been tested in direct contact with human skin. It's on a shuttle. We can only touch it when it has landed.
It might be boiling hot in space, but can cool faster before getting to earth. We haven't even known if it can withstand that amount of energy, or even durability.

Maybe time will tell. The only exoskeletons so far, can only do the simple work humans are known for.
Not all activities, it's still limited sef.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by rahman8(f): 6:37pm On May 17, 2020
Yes... I even have one
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 6:40pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:
yes, another you are agreeing with me,
The exoskeleton is to help support the massive weight of the suit on the user. And control system is to used to make the suit stand upright and control all system seamlessly. Because building a robot that stands on two legs is very hard. angry

But the suit is not heavy, because it is made up of alloys which practically makes it lighter. Alloys like duralumin are very strong, tough and lite...
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 6:44pm On May 17, 2020
DriggityDre:

First of, those people you speak of, still put on protective equipment. Even if you don't die the 1st time, prolonged exposure to any form of radiation is unsafe. Also, you can't compare a 330KV transformer to a suit of that caliber.
Transformers are like AA batteries when compared. As you said, the only hope to power a suit like Stark's, is with nuclear energy. The radiation resulting from that, will kill you unless you are protected. No contest.
I mean, can you imagine the amount of power flowing through that suit; [img]https://media1./images/94a72f8bc726ab28a0b75dfdc8bf6914/tenor.gif?itemid=14686233[/img]

Easy to say, but not to implement. So far, we haven't been able to deal with this kind of energy. The closest we've gotten is nuclear energy, and we still haven't found a way to convert that to a safer form for the human body.
This metal you speak of, hasn't still been tested in direct contact with human skin. It's on a shuttle. We can only touch it when it has landed.
It might be boiling hot in space, but can cool faster before getting to earth. We haven't even known if it can withstand that amount of energy, or even durability.

Maybe time will tell. The only exoskeletons so far, can only do the simple work humans are known for.
I don't think nuclear energy is the option to power a suit like that...
If modern electric cars can be powered by a battery then that suit can certainly be powered by a battery
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by DriggityDre: 7:00pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

If modern electric cars can be powered by a battery then that suit can certainly be powered by a battery
A car is simply a combustion engine with axle and wheels. You can't compare simple technology like a car, to futuristic weapon tech.
They are faaaar apart, in terms of energy, structure and control systems. The latter is far more complex by miles.

The Audi e-tron electric car has the largest battery output so far. It puts out 95 Kwh.
An average step-down transformer beats that, with 264Kwh.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by DriggityDre: 7:09pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

But the suit is not heavy, because it is made up of alloys which practically makes it lighter. Alloys like duralumin are very strong, tough and lite...
Yes, you have a point on alloys; but Iron Man's suit has withstood powerful blows and heavy firepower from villains. From blasts to grenades to super strength.
No known alloy can able to withstand that much.

To create something that strong but light, will pose a major problem.

Even in the movies, his suit is powered by an arc reactor. That is a mini nuclear power plant!
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by DriggityDre: 7:11pm On May 17, 2020
Hulk616, another thing is that the arc reactor is basically a mini nuclear power plant.. on his chest!
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 17, 2020
DriggityDre:

They don't wear protective wear when near a 330kV transformer, they only wear when switching on or off circuit breakers. And prolonged exposure to transformer radiation wont kill you, because the frequency is still 50Hz. angry

Nuclear fusion reactor will be safe because you can control the radiation level and in crisis it implode not explode. angry

the amount of power needed to power the electronics is small and safe. but for the weaponry it is huge, that why the massive chest blast is directly from the main source, which removes the need of huge amount of electricity and radiation travel around his body. angry

Nuclear energy has been successfully convert to electricity which is safer form for human.

It has been tested, the cube made of the metal was heated to very high temperature, and people picked it and held it for minutes.

Iron man suit is also a robot on its own, so the exoskeletons just have to copy the movements of its user.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

Most of iron man suits are heavy (above 80kg)
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 7:48pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:
Most of iron man suits are heavy (above 80kg)
That's the design weight,
His self weight inclusive
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

1. Batteries cannot be used because of space limited and they are too heavy.
2. Batteries are DC, they need to be recharged.
angry
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 7:50pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

That's the design weight,
His self weight inclusive
no, self weight exclusive. His suit weight can break concrete.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 7:54pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:

1. Batteries cannot be used because of space limited and they are too heavy.
2. Batteries are DC, they need to be recharged.
angry
The size of the battery is not an issue, since with micro technology a small size can be achieved.

And are u suggesting using AC?
Certainly AC is a no-go-area
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 7:57pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:
no, self weight exclusive. His suit weight can break concrete.
Breaking concrete is not an indicator of weight but strength, am speaking from a material scientists context
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 17, 2020
DriggityDre:
Hulk616, another thing is that the arc reactor is basically a mini nuclear power plant.. on his chest!
Yes, the mini FUSION reactor, and its possible. because he used palladium which helps to cold the temperature of the reactor.

Also remember that, in a nuclear power plant, the nuclear fission reactor is used to generate heat which is used to boil the water, that produces high pressure streams used to turn/rotate the turbines connected to a generator.

But for iron man, the arc reactor produces electrons running a circular path to produce electromagnetic field which result to electricity. so iron man arc reactor is safer.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

The size of the battery is not an issue, since with micro technology a small size can be achieved.

And are u suggesting using AC?
Certainly AC is a no-go-area
size of battery is a BIG issue. That's why there are researches on going to reduce the size of batteries. Until then, electric commercial airplanes wont exist.

AC is safer, cheaper, low losses than DC.
If AC was natural like DC, solar power will be cheaper.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

Breaking concrete is not an indicator of weight but strength, am speaking from a material scientists context
for you to break something you need force (Force = Mass X Acceleration), and
Weight = Force = Mass X acceleration due to gravity, acceleration due to gravity is constant, so the higher than mass the higher Weight/Force.
So weight can be an indicator of strength
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by DriggityDre: 8:24pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:

They don't wear protective wear when near a 330kV transformer, they only wear when switching on or off circuit breakers.
Correct.

And prolonged exposure to transformer radiation wont kill you, because the frequency is still 50Hz. angry
Yes, I made a mistake on that one. 50HZ isn't enough to kill you, but...
"Most studies that have taken place are addressing magnetic fields which are emitted from power lines, transformers and other sources. Studies have linked the low-frequency radiation with miscarriages, leukemia, skin cancer, multiple sclerosis, etc." Source

Nuclear fusion reactor will be safe because you can control the radiation level and in crisis it implode not explode. angry
I must admit, that's some high level shii right there bruv grin.
It is safer than fission and it doesn't explode. Pull the plug on fusion, and it stops. Pull the plug on fission, and it keeps fissioning.

As long as a nuclear reactor is vacuum sealed, there wouldn't be a problem. If hydrogen comes into contact with it, it would eventually explode like a hydrogen bomb. I agree with your point.

the amount of power needed to power the electronics is small and safe. but for the weaponry it is huge, that why the massive chest blast is directly from the main source, which removes the need of huge amount of electricity and radiation travel around his body. angry
I get your point, but Stark didn't use the chest blast all the time.
If it was the case as you stated, he would be blasting frequently to relieve himself of the power. That is an unstable situation.

I believe perfected nuclear fusion wouldn't be unstable.

Nuclear energy has been successfully convert to electricity which is safer form for human.
Yes, but aside that, nuclear energy (not radiation) has been proven to be safer than working in an office.
"Nuclear energy is as safe or safer than any other form of energy available. In fact, recent studies have shown that it is safer to work in a nuclear power plant than an office."

It's only the radiation aspect that we have to tackle.

It has been tested, the cube made of the metal was heated to very high temperature, and people picked it and held it for minutes.
Wow, that's mad. I'll look at that later.

Iron man suit is also a robot on its own, so the exoskeletons just have to copy the movements of its user.
Agreed.

So far, these are the problems surrounding the further research on nuclear fusion;
Fusion reactors have other serious problems that also afflict today's fission reactors, including neutron radiation damage and radioactive waste, potential tritium release, the burden on coolant resources, outsize operating costs, and increased risks of nuclear weapons proliferation.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 8:32pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:
for you to break something you need force (Force = Mass X Acceleration), and
Weight = Force = Mass X acceleration due to gravity, acceleration due to gravity is constant, so the higher than mass the higher Weight/Force.
So weight can be an indicator of strength
It seems like you didn't get the catch,
I said breaking concrete is not an indicator of weight but strength.
The comparison is not weight to strength but breaking concrete to strength and weight
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 8:35pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:
size of battery is a BIG issue. That's why there are researches on going to reduce the size of batteries. Until then, electric commercial airplanes wont exist.

AC is safer, cheaper, low losses than DC.
If AC was natural like DC, solar power will be cheaper.
AC is safer?
Hope you are not mistaking DC for AC because with my engineering background I can assured you that AC is nothing close to been safe compared to DC
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

AC is safer?
Hope you are not mistaking DC for AC because with my engineering background I can assured you that AC is nothing close to been safe compared to DC
AC is safer, that the whole thing Nikolai Tesla was trying to demonstrate to the world.
And you can hold 10V AC but you cant hold 10V DC
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

The comparison is not weight to strength but breaking concrete to strength and weight
What i m saying is , breaking = force applied and force applied = weight (F) = strength (F)
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by DriggityDre: 8:42pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:
Yes, the mini FUSION reactor, and its possible. because he used palladium which helps to cold the temperature of the reactor.

Also remember that, in a nuclear power plant, the nuclear fission reactor is used to generate heat which is used to boil the water, that produces high pressure streams used to turn/rotate the turbines connected to a generator.

But for iron man, the arc reactor produces electrons running a circular path to produce electromagnetic field which result to electricity. so iron man arc reactor is safer.
Ah, yes. I remember the controversial cold fusion experiments of 1989.

Due to flaws in the experiment, it was eventually stopped. It featured trying to create nuclear fusion at room temp, instead of the usual heat associated with it.
Palladium was one of the main elements used.

If we are speaking in a probable futuristic manner, I agree to this.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by DriggityDre: 8:43pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

Hulk616 is actually right tho.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 17, 2020
DriggityDre:
Correct.
Yes, I made a mistake on that one. 50HZ isn't enough to kill you, but...
True

I must admit, that's some high level shii right there bruv grin.
Yes, when i told you, you did not believe angry

It is safer than fission and it doesn't explode. Pull the plug on fusion, and it stops. Pull the plug on fission, and it keeps fissioning.

As long as a nuclear reactor is vacuum sealed, there wouldn't be a problem. If hydrogen comes into contact with it, it would eventually explode like a hydrogen bomb. I agree with your point.

I get your point, but Stark didn't use the chest blast all the time.
If it was the case as you stated, he would be blasting frequently to relieve himself of the power. That is an unstable situation.

I believe perfected nuclear fusion wouldn't be unstable.

Yes, but aside that, nuclear energy (not radiation) has been proven to be safer than working in an office.

It's only the radiation aspect that we have to tackle.

Wow, that's mad. I'll look at that later.

Agreed.

So far, these are the problems surrounding the further research on nuclear fusion;
Lot of agreed. grin
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 17, 2020
DriggityDre:
Ah, yes. I remember the controversial cold fusion experiments of 1989.

Due to flaws in the experiment, it was eventually stopped. It featured trying to create nuclear fusion at room temp, instead of the usual heat associated with it.
Palladium was one of the main elements used.

If we are speaking in a probable futuristic manner, I agree to this.
But palladium is toxic.
Radiation eating fungus can be used to reduce radiation effect
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 8:48pm On May 17, 2020
DriggityDre:
Hulk616 is actually right tho.
Mathematically right!
If you go with His explanation then you are nullifying the fact that acceleration is more important than weight in Newton's law of motion, specifically in the case of a bullet were the weight is small compare to the acceleration. Hence the impact mind blowing
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

Mathematically right!
If you go with His explanation then you are nullifying the fact that acceleration is more important than weight in Newton's law of motion, specifically in the case of a bullet were the weight is small compare to the acceleration. Hence the impact mind blowing
I m using acceleration due to gravity which is almost constant.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 8:55pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:
What i m saying is , breaking = force applied and force applied = weight (F) = strength (F)
Force is mass times acceleration, but weight is force under the influence of gravitational acceleration...

Strength is independent of weight.
Did you know that weight will never come into play in a vacuum like space with regard to breaking? But strength will
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by Nobody: 8:56pm On May 17, 2020
qwertyboss:

Force is mass times acceleration, but weight is force under the influence of gravitational acceleration...

Strength is independent of weight.
Did you know that weight will never come into play in a vacuum like space with regard to breaking? But strength will
Yes, i agree. But i am talking about the case of iron man suit.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by DriggityDre: 8:58pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:
But palladium is toxic.
Radiation eating fungus can be used to reduce radiation effect
Aye. That is a good green way too. It would be best, if we move in that direction.
Re: Can Iron Man's Suits Be Possible In Real Life? by qwertyboss(m): 9:01pm On May 17, 2020
hulk616:
I m using acceleration due to gravity which is almost constant.
Breaking is a work, hence there is work done. And strength is a measures of resistance or overcoming resistance.

But weight which is an element of gravitation can only act vertically downward and you know quiet well that work done against gravity is infinitesimally zero

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nollywood Movie On A Whole New Level- See Latest Video Clips From America Action / Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? / Funke Akindele Or Saheed Balogun?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.