Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State (6776 Views)

Peter Obi's Petition Is Apc Nightmare- Lawyer Gives Detailed Analysis / 2019 Presidential Election - Prediction And Analysis Of Possible Outcome / I Give It To Davido And The People Of The State Of Osun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 16, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Trash
Igbankes
Are igbos
Some now resort to name change due to marginalization by edo government
Once an igbanke with an igbo name you can’t be employe by the state government
That’s fact
Go and check
you clearly saw eze/enogie on the Wikipedia. What's enogie in igbo language?
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by EsomahJD: 7:49pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:
;Di now understand why Yoruba people always deal with you people then you come around and be crying victim.

This mumu think opening small kiosk means development, SMH. Your kind needs action hand
That guy is not igho, I think he wants to derail this thread.

1 Like

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by MuchAdo: 7:53pm On May 16, 2020
Chemist009:
It's unfortunate and not too good that many Nigerians, albeit educated are grossly ignorant of
Nigeria's ethnic makeup, but come online and spew their ignorance. Many people outside the south south thinks Edo people are either Yoruba or Igbo ..... So, here is a breakdown of the people that make up the entity called Edo State:

Edo South

1 - Oredo Local Government:
Oredo local government is the urban area that makes up the Benin city centre. It is one of the 3 local governments that make up the main city and is the heart of the Benin Kingdom. It's the most populated local government in Edo and is home to the Government house, National Museum, Stadium and a host of others.

2 - Egor Local Government:
It's the smallest local government in Edo in terms of size, but the third most populated and one of the 3 local governments that make up the main Benin city. It's home to the University of Benin and like Oredo, is owned by the Bini people.

3 - Ikpoba Okha Local Government:
It's the second most populated local government in Edo state and is the third of the 3 local governments in the main city.

4 - Orhiomwhon Local Government:
Predominantly inhabited by the Bini people, with a sizeable portion inhabited by the Igbanke people. It's the largest local government in Edo state in terms of size.

5 - Ovia North East Local Government:
Indigenous to the Bini people, and a cluster of ijaw and Yoruba speaking communities at the border with Ondo state. A portion of the local government is now part of the Benin city suburban.

6 - Ovia South West Local Government:
Predominantly Bini, with a cluster of Ijaws.

7- Uhunmwonde Local Government:
The last of the 7 local governments of Edo state and is completely indigenous to the Bini people.

Edo North

1 - Akoko Edo local government:
It's the largest and most populated local government in Edo North and it's indigent to a cluster of communities who speak different dialects. The two main languages spoken in this local government are Etuno- an Igala like dialect spoken by the Igarra people and Okpameri- an edoid language spoken by several communities in the local government. 1 or 2 communities at the border with Ondo speak Yoruba, hence the misconception that there are indigent indigenous yorubas in Edo.

2 - Etsako West Local Government:
One of the 4 local governments that speak the Etsako language... It's home to Auchi, the second largest city in Edo and it's indigent to the Etsako people.

3 - Etsako East Local Government:
Inhabited by the Etsako people, it covers the Northern and North Eastern flank of Etsako land.

4 - Etsako Central Local Government:
Also indigent to the Etsako people

5 - Owan East Local Government:
Dominated by Owan people in Edo state.... While a portion of the local government speak the Etsako language

6 - Owan West Local Government:
It's the least populated local government in Edo North and it's indigent to the Owan people.

Edo Central

1- Igueben Local Government:
One of the 5 local governments occupied by the Esan people of Edo state.

2 - Esan Central Local Government:
Indigent to the Esan people....

3 - Esan West Local Government:
Home to the state owned Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma and is indigent to the Esan people.

4 - Esan North East Local Government:
Home to the bustling town of Uromi and also indigenous to the Esan people.

5 - Esan South East Local Government:
The biggest and most populated of the 5 local governments that constitute Edo Central- Esan land.

Synopsis

Bini, Esan, Etsako, Owan and Akoko Edo people collectively make up 99% of Edo's indigenous population. Igbankes and Ijaws make up the other one percent. This is just a summarised breakdown, a more in-depth breakdown will come later in the series. Break down is as follows:
Bini: about 51%
Esan: 18%
Etsako: 15%
Owan: 8%
Akoko Edo: 7%
Others: 1%

@bolded
There indeed are indigenous Yorubas from Edo state. They used to have an association, in fact.... smiley

2 Likes

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Sunshineg5(m): 7:56pm On May 16, 2020
EsomahJD:

But ooni and this guy in this video are yorubas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X5MoM73agU
Oni specifically referenced the bini kingdom which is highly contentious because of the link created by Oranmiyan who was the first oba of bini, First Alafin of Oyo and Sixth Oni of ife.

He never referenced the whole of Edo land

More importantly, no Yoruba of repute supported his claims.

1 Like

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Nigeriabiafra80: 8:05pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:
you clearly saw eze/enogie on the Wikipedia. What's enogie in igbo language?
What is eze in benin language

2 Likes

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Chemist009(m): 8:21pm On May 16, 2020
MuchAdo:

@bolded
There indeed are indigenous Yorubas from Edo state. They used to have an association, in fact.... smiley
They are no indigenous yorubas in Edo Oga

1 Like

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 16, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:

What is eze in benin language
read the article I post and you'll see igbanke people all have different migration stories most claim Edo shd and the other minority claim igbo origin.

That's why they have both Igbo and Edo name for God.

That's why they've Edo and Igbo dressing

That's why some bear igbo names and some bear Edo names.

That's why they've both igbo and Edo names for king's.

You'll be surprised to know ogbemudia is half igbanke, even governor obaseki has igbanke blood.

You need to come to Edo state in order to understand how things goes here
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by austinauto(m): 8:29pm On May 16, 2020
Area4Area:
Don't even know why I so like Edo people,
they don't make noise,
can be stubborn in a funny way
and are very funny people too,
Maybe my childhood because[b] I grew up amongst them in Ikeja[/b] in those days and my university days too.

Bini, Esan, Akoko Edo guys who bear Yoruba names but don't understand a word of it, these Auchi and Agenebode guys too, some are even Muslims but very liberal.

I miss you guys too much, back in the days sha.

I guess within Balogun/Allen
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Chemist009(m): 8:29pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:
read the article I post and you'll see igbanke people all have different migration stories most claim Edo shd and the other minority claim igbo origin.

You'll be surprised to know ogbemudia is half igbanke, even governor obaseki has igbanke blood.

All the people from Igbanke I know admit they are Edos, not Igbos
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Malawian(m): 8:30pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:
read the articles I posted. Some bear igbos names and some hear Edo names.

But the truth is igbanke is 80% Edo.

By truthful does than emeka friend of yours accept he's Igbo?
Igbanke is 100% Igbo. If you have never been there yourself, stop commenting. They are probably the very reason Ishans see Uromi people as half igbo. Even in that Edo state, there is still another community that is kind of Igbo, but up till now, i am yet to see a discourse on them. The very community after Agbor inside edo state is known as egan or so. We had a tenant who was from there and it was during his late father's funeral i realized he might be igboid. His late fathers name is obeyeokwu. I cant say what the name means, but it sure sounds Igbo to me.
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Malawian(m): 8:40pm On May 16, 2020
Area4Area:
Don't even know why I so like Edo people,
Maybe my childhood because I grew up amongst them in Ikeja in those days and my university days too.

I miss you guys too much, back in the days sha.
The penny drops cheesy
Bro, dem don repair our village road o, by the special grace of God. I dey show this xmas.

Anyi ga enwe na nke Madam Tallest.
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Dedetwo(m): 8:44pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:
There's no ijaw or Yoruba in Edo state but foreigners.

Most of the igbankes in Edo South bear Benin names and share same greetings, food and culture

Who are the igbankes?
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Chemist009(m): 8:53pm On May 16, 2020
Dedetwo:

Who are the igbankes?
Naturalised Edos
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Area4Area: 8:55pm On May 16, 2020
austinauto:

I guess within Balogun/Allen
No, Shanu street and Awolowo road, then Ipodo area too.
We had so many Edo guys there and I just love their free carefree attitude plus their pidgin.

Even here in Onitsha, I've made some my friends, dem can funny you one kind one kind.
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Area4Area: 8:56pm On May 16, 2020
Malawian:

The penny drops cheesy
Bro, dem don repair our village road o, by the special grace of God. I dey show this xmas.

Anyi ga enwe na nke Madam Tallest.
Kids everywhere

1 Like

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Bendeco2020: 8:57pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:

I have been observing u here with ur ignorance... So don't u know that Igbo extend to Edo state.... Communities with Igbo culture and language is what? Igbo have much influence in south south as a whole ..... That's the fact
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Bendeco2020: 9:01pm On May 16, 2020
Chemist009:

All the people from Igbanke I know admit they are Edos, not Igbos
Is Edo a tribe or state?
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Chemist009(m): 9:30pm On May 16, 2020
Bendeco2020:

Is Edo a tribe or state?
Refers to a collection of related tribes that makes up the entity

1 Like

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by rummmy: 9:41pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:
There's no ijaw or Yoruba in Edo state but foreigners.

Most of the igbankes in Edo South bear Benin names and share same greetings, food and culture
you consume so much igbooo

2 Likes

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Nobody: 9:46pm On May 16, 2020
Malawian:

Igbanke is 100% Igbo. If you have never been there yourself, stop commenting. They are probably the very reason Ishans see Uromi people as half igbo. Even in that Edo state, there is still another community that is kind of Igbo, but up till now, i am yet to see a discourse on them. The very community after Agbor inside edo state is known as egan or so. We had a tenant who was from there and it was during his late father's funeral i realized he might be igboid. His late fathers name is obeyeokwu. I cant say what the name means, but it sure sounds Igbo to me.
ishan see uromi as half igbo? Guy shut up and get out of this thread.

You ipob really overestimate your worthless selves

1 Like

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 16, 2020
Bendeco2020:

I have been observing u here with ur ignorance... So don't u know that Igbo extend to Edo state.... Communities with Igbo culture and language is what? Igbo have much influence in south south as a whole ..... That's the fact
I guess there's also edo people in anambra. Since some claim they migrated from here and have some facts to back it up
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Chemist009(m): 9:51pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:
I guess there's also edo people in anambra. Since some claim they migrated from here and have some facts to back it up
Correct! I no know wetin dem see for Edo state wey dem want grab.... Edos and ibos or Yorubas aren't related. Simple

1 Like

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by MuchAdo: 10:12pm On May 16, 2020
Chemist009:

They There are no indigenous yorubas in Edo Oga

What do you call the Yorubas from Edo state Visitors Strangers

Don't even try to claim them!

Even Usen in the heart of Benin is Yoruba... cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Dedetwo(m): 10:12pm On May 16, 2020
Chemist009:

Naturalised Edos

When did Edo become a nation?

1 Like

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Nigeriabiafra80: 10:25pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:

Trash just like saying igbo in anambra is anambra
Igbankes are igbo
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Chemist009(m): 10:30pm On May 16, 2020
Dedetwo:

When did Edo become a nation?
If you don't understand, chilax
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Nobody: 11:30pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:
ishan see uromi as half igbo? Guy shut up and get out of this thread.

You ipob really overestimate your worthless selves
I also laughed when i saw that his comment filled with ignorance
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by pazienza(m): 11:32pm On May 16, 2020
Igbanke is not Igbo . They only become Igbo when Ika accept they are Igbo wholly. Which hasn't happened yet.

Igbanke are Ika, their language is Ika, but you know that fission reactions can be endless, because what's good for the goose is also good for the gander.
Just as Ika rejected Igbo tag, many Igbanke people are rejecting Ika tag today. They are now claiming that Igbanke is now a distinct language and ethnic group from Ika.

Now, Igbanke like all Igboid groups in SS might be claiming to have migrated from Bini, but the language is clearly an Igbo dialect . An Igbanke person who came to Onitsha for the first time will be able to fully understand Igbo people there without an interpreter, but no Igbanke man can ever understand Bini, Esan or any Edoid language without learning it from beginning like any non Edo person.
Makes you wonder how a supposedly Bini descendants who still live with Edos cannot understand Edo language, but speak an Igboid language and understand Igbo language spoken in far away Anambra.
If I say now that Bini oral stories of Igboids in SS(Rivers, Delta, Igbanke) are distorted and fabricated stories handed down from one generation to another, they say I am a trouble shooting Igbo man.
But then agaIn, history I always maintain is a science, science conform to logic and rationality. When a history is incongruous with rationality, it becomes obvious that a distortion happened somewhere.
I belong to Igbanke forums, and each time they bring up this Bini story and I hit them with jaw breaking questions, they resort to insults and personal attacks.
Only few of them agree with me that something is wrong with their oral history, and many of them are Igbankes that have spent considerable amount of time in the SE or currently lives in the SE. I suspect living here and seeing similarities between Igbo and their faraway Igbanke got those ones into deep retrospective thinking.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by pazienza(m): 11:34pm On May 16, 2020
Igbanke sentences.

1. I did not hear. A nun nim
2. I told you. Men gwa i.
3. I didn't say so. E ku nim rira
4. I told you to go. N si i jen men.
5. You called me. Yu kpom.
6. You were there. I ri ebe ehu
7. You said that I ate it. I si ni men ri e.
8. She called him. Ya kpo a
9. He is a good person. O wu ezi ihian
10. She told me to go. O sim jen men
11. It is not true. E le ezi oku
12. He came to school. O bia ulo ekukwo
13. I did not eat food. E ri nim nnin
14. I go to work. M jen orun
15. She stop. O wuzo
16. Come. Bia
17. My mother. Nnem
18. Give me yam. Ye m gi
19. You ate my food. Yu ri nnin m
20. Agree Kweri
21. Who is here Onye ri eben
22. I am going. N lako alako
23. Amend. Donzi
24. Arise. Lihi oto
25. Assist Ye eka/Y'eka
26. Father Nedi
27. Mother. Nne
28. Children. Nmu
29. Elderly man. Diokpa
30. Welcome. A lua
31. Beat. Gbu
32. Become. Henrin/Honrin
33. Begin. Bidon
34. Bend. Hie/ hiemen
35. Bite. Ta (erun)
36. Blow fire. Fu okun
37. Break. Kpagi/Tikpo
38. Bring. Wehe
39. Build house. Tun ulo
40. Burn fire. Dun okun/ren okun
41. Choose. Hanrin
42. Catch. Nwun don/ kwondon
43. What do you think. Ke iro / kiro
44. Not as you think. E le ki ro
45. I did it. Meh me
46. Man. Okenye
47. Outside. Obodo/I wea esi
48. Motorcycle. Ono di ali gbo oso
49. Radio. E kpeti ta lo Ku
50. Spirit. Nmo
51. Spoil. Wiwi
52. Steal. Zu/zuru
53. Mad. Era
54. Swear. Kwun/cun
55. Curse. Iyi
56. Sweep. Za
57. Sweep out. Zapu
58. Take. Weri
59. Teach. Kuzi
60. Teacher. Onye nkuzi
61. Mold. E pete
62. Tear. Dowa/tika
63. Good. Orika-nma/mma
64. Rich. Odafi/ogaranyia
65. Trouble. Eku ray ku
66. King. Obi/Eze
67. Age mate. Otum
68. I forgot. Azom
69. Tell. Gwa
70. High/up. Elu.
71. Sit down Nodi ali.
72. Stand. li hii/ wuzo
73. Look here. le ebeni
74. Cook. shime
75. Don't fight. alu le ogwun
76. Share it. ke a
77. Bury. lii
78. Play. Egu
79. Dance for me. Tenim egu
80. Church. Okah
81. Market. Afia
82. Knife. Ebe ke
83. Cutlass. Opia
84. Shoe. Akpu uku
85. Plate. Afere
86. I'm coming. N'la la
87. Don't beat him. Egbu le ilii
88. Remember. yhan han
89. Run. Kpa osuo
90. It's big. O hii ogbe
91. Money. Egho
92. My friend. O whum
93. Road. Ozor
94. Farm. Ugbo/Ofia
95. Sleep. Ran hin
96. Person. Ihian
97. Thing. Ihien
98. Give it to me. Ye mhe/wea ye mhe
99. Do it well. Meme ohun ma
100. Leaders. Ndi okiki
101. Door . Ekwe

1 Like

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by pazienza(m): 11:35pm On May 16, 2020
Animals in Igbanke language

1: Mbekù.... Tortoise
2: Ele....Deer
3: Anù....Meat
4: Ewù....Goat
5: Anù Ewù....Goat Meat
6: Ngwugù....pepper Soup
7: Agwó....Snake
8: Eletù....Rabbit
9: Aturùn....Sheep
10: Ebùlù....Ram
11: Ñkpīn....He Goat
12: Odegbe....She Goat
13: Egi....Snail
14: Ize.... Cray Fish
15: Azùn Ndùn.... Fresh Fish
16: Azùn: Fish

2 Likes

Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by Bendeco2020: 11:39pm On May 16, 2020
Igbosmoker:
Am even from that Onitsha u're referring to... We migrated from current day delta (Anioma) not Benin... I don't even know how u compare foolishly..... Do we speak or answer any Benin name here in anambra or delta unlike community with Igbo language and names in ur so called edo?
Re: A Detailed Analysis Of The People Of Edo State by pazienza(m): 11:41pm On May 16, 2020
No Bini or Edo man would be able to understand Igbanke language written or spoken.

But any Igbo man who has good grasp of variety of Igbo dialects spoken in Anambra, Imo, Enugu, Abia and Ebonyi, like myself, should understand 95percent of written Igbanke, because its virtually Igbo with predilection for "ri" in place of "di" just as seen in Owerri dialect, and always replacing "a" with "e" as seen in Nkanu( Enugu dialects), eg eka for hand, instead of aka" as is obtainable in standard academic Igbo(Igbo Izugbe).
Having said this. Understanding spoken Igbanke is a big challenge for any Igbo man, because the people intonation is something you are never prepared for. Its like hearing Izzi or Ikwo for first-time, there is,no way you would understand that. But if you stay with them a bit, and listen closely, you start finding out its same words you know but spoken with bizzare intonation and even altered sentence structure at times.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot / APC Presidential Campain At Calaba: Buhari Fell Down While Climbing The Stage! / Niger Deltans Beware : Divide And Rule Politics - Momentoftruth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.