Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,538 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? (1879 Views)

"My Husband Buys Chicken From Fastfood, Eats Alone, Hides Payment Receipts" / Woman Shares Reason Why Collecting Receipts At Pay Point Is Important (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by helinues: 1:53pm On May 16, 2020
I don't know if it is just me oo, but I hate it when chatting with someone on WhatsApp and the message is not showing read even after read...

That's sign of inferiority

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by ibkayee(f): 1:55pm On May 16, 2020
Lol I prefer not to have my read receipts on

Why do you think it's a sign of inferiority?

6 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by DaInferno(m): 1:58pm On May 16, 2020
this might be too much... but as for me, it irritates me! if you don't wanna have coveesations on an app that was meant for that, uninstall na!

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by doitforyou(f): 2:00pm On May 16, 2020
Mine is disabled. Some people can be very annoying and demanding on how quick or fast you should respond to their messages.

12 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by helinues: 2:19pm On May 16, 2020
ibkayee:
Lol I prefer not to have my read receipts on

Why do you think it's a sign of inferiority?

What's the logic behind that?

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Mariangeles(f): 2:35pm On May 16, 2020
I leave mine on.
Those with read receipts off I treat their messages differently from those with theirs on.
Once yours is off, I don't feel obligated to be polite to you.
I hate games. It is childish and rude also.

10 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Mariangeles(f): 2:42pm On May 16, 2020
helinues:
I don't know if it is just me oo, but I hate it when chatting with someone on WhatsApp and the message is not showing read even after read...

I doubt it is coming from a place of inferiority complex, rather it is rude, disrespectful and dishonest and I dare say, attention seeking.
I have no respect for people who leave messages unread for long, or read and not reply.
I cut them off ASAP! Male or female.

5 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by helinues: 2:56pm On May 16, 2020
Mariangeles:

I doubt it is coming from a place of inferiority complex, rather it is rude, disrespectful and dishonest and I dare say, attention seeking.
I have no respect for people who leave messages unread for long, or read and not reply.

Exactly.. I am treating them differently these days.. So annoying
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by ibkayee(f): 2:56pm On May 16, 2020
helinues:

What's the logic behind that?
In the event that I've read something and didn’t instantly respond for whatever reason (reasonable or unreasonable), it's effort to justify it every time.

If they don't know, they can't get upset because of it and I can't feel bad, everyone wins

I'm not saying I'm in the wrong or right, situations will vary. But this method just takes care of everything for me personally

6 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Acidosis(m): 2:59pm On May 16, 2020
ibkayee:

In the event that I've read something and didn’t instantly respond for whatever reason (reasonable or unreasonable), I can't be bothered to justify it every time.

If they don't know, they can't get upset because of it and I can't feel bad, everyone wins

I'm not saying I'm in the wrong or right, situations will vary. This method just takes care of everything for me perosnally

Send me your WhatsApp number tongue
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by ibkayee(f): 2:59pm On May 16, 2020
Acidosis:

Send me your WhatsApp number tongue
Lool sure cheesy
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by RoyalBlak007: 3:07pm On May 16, 2020
I really do not care about it.

REPLY WHENEVER YOU WANT. I do not expect too much from people. cheesy

9 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by helinues: 3:08pm On May 16, 2020
ibkayee:

In the event that I've read something and didn’t instantly respond for whatever reason (reasonable or unreasonable), it's effort to justify it every time.

I'm not saying I'm in the wrong or right, situations will vary. But this method just takes care of everything for me personally

Then one needs to ask, what are those people doing on your list in the first place?

Not directly questioning you, just still not confusing enough...

I always asked friends that have thousands of people on their social media list to ask ordinary N10k help from all of them and see how many will respond.
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by crackland: 3:09pm On May 16, 2020
helinues:

Because you don't like being ignored and you want to know if the person is doing it deliberately, right?

Well I even turned off my Last Seen in addition to Read Receipts because of people like you. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Acidosis(m): 3:11pm On May 16, 2020
ibkayee:

Lool sure cheesy
Alright dear, waiting smiley smiley
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by helinues: 3:13pm On May 16, 2020
crackland:

Because you don't like being ignored and you want to know if the person is doing it deliberately, right?

Well I even turned off my Last Seen in addition to Read Receipts because of people like you. cheesy

Being ignored ? With how many people on my contact list? I doubt if they are up to 20...

What exactly are you afraid of that you can't confront that you need to hide under last seen read receipts...?

5 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by ibkayee(f): 3:17pm On May 16, 2020
helinues:

Then one needs to ask, what are those people doing on your list in the first place?

Not directly questioning you, just still not confusing enough...

I always asked friends that have thousands of people on their social media list to ask ordinary N10k help from all of them and see how many will respond.

It's not always that deep for me, I acknowledge that some people can be rude, but sometimes it could be a case of genuinely being busy and forgetting or needing time to think over the response you're going to send, so to cover all bases I just remove the receipts.

Asking people on your list for 'ordinary' N10k as some kind of experiment seems a bit entitled to me lol, no matter how small it is. You'll probably find that it's actually people with this mindset that push people to disable their receipts in the first place lol

5 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by crackland: 3:34pm On May 16, 2020
helinues:

Being ignored ? With how many people on my contact list? I doubt if they are up to 20...

What exactly are you afraid of that you can't confront that you need to hide under last seen read receipts...?

Well for me, fear has nothing to do with it.. but my TIMING.

I don't like to spend too much time chatting cos I'm more of a Video/Audio calls kinda person and all my closest contacts know this is exactly how I prefer communicating on WhatsApp.

But for those who are not close enough or for those who for some reason are not able to do video/audio calls, I ALWAYS respond to their messages no matter what.
I just simply prefer doing it at my own convenience, and having those settings turned off gives me that privilege.

If you hate it when people on your list do it, you can download a mod version of WhatsApp which allows you to override whatever privacy settings anyone turns on. cheesy
That's what two of my friends (females) did, just to be able to see when I read their messages. I don't understand that kind of obsession to know everything. Lol

6 Likes

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Mariangeles(f): 3:37pm On May 16, 2020
helinues:

Exactly.. I am treating them differently these days.. So annoying

Let's just say, if you're on my contact list, you're important in some way, otherwise I see no point.
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Hathor5(f): 3:39pm On May 16, 2020
Mariangeles:

shocked

How long is long?

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Mariangeles(f): 3:41pm On May 16, 2020
Hathor5:

shocked

How long is long?

I get to decide that. grin
I make only profitable friendship. cool
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Hathor5(f): 3:48pm On May 16, 2020
Mariangeles:

I get decide that. grin
I make profitable friendship. cool

I was just curious because when I open WhatsApp to read your message you can see it but I can also read your message on my screen without opening WhatsApp and you won't see it. Either way, I decide when I reply and I reply when I can. If I don't, it is not because I am rude but most probably because I am busy or just tired. Nothing personal.

The fact that we are available 24/7 does not mean that we are obliged to react whenever someone decides to. I think this is disrespectful of other people's personal space and time. I don't expect anyone to dance to my tune, literally.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Mariangeles(f): 4:00pm On May 16, 2020
Hathor5:

I was just curious because when I open WhatsApp to read your message you can see it but I can also read your message on my screen without opening WhatsApp and you won't see it. Either way, I decide when I reply and I reply when I can. If I don't, it is not because I am rude but most probably because I am busy or just tired. Nothing personal.

The fact that we are available 24/7 does not mean that we are obliged to react whenever someone decides to. I think this is disrespectful of other people's personal space and time. I don't expect anyone to dance to my tune, literally.

That is why I don't chat for chats' sake.
When you see my message(s), know that it is important.
Time is money.
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by helinues: 4:02pm On May 16, 2020
crackland:

Well for me, fear has nothing to do with it.. but my TIMING.

I don't like to spend too much time chatting cos I'm more of a Video/Audio calls kinda person and all my closest contacts know this is exactly how I prefer communicating on WhatsApp.

But for those who are not close enough or for those who for some reason are not able to do video/audio calls, I ALWAYS respond to their messages no matter what.
I just simply prefer doing it at my own convenience, and having those settings turned off gives me that privilege.

If you hate it when people on your list do it, you can download a mod version of WhatsApp which allows you to override whatever privacy settings anyone turns on. cheesy
That's what two of my friends (females) did, just to be able to see when I read their messages. I don't understand that kind of obsession to know everything. Lol

The truth is I hardly initiate a conversation except if I have something reasonable to talk about.. I always give time before adding people to my contact .

I really don't have problem with unsaved numbers but the few one on my list that might probably be asking for favour? It sounds offensive to me.

To me it shouldn't be applied to everybody on the contact list..
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by PuZZyNegro: 5:15pm On May 16, 2020
People have complained bitterly about this read receipt thing. Some say it's inferiority complex and cowardly to turn it off.

I personally turned my own off to keep my sanity in tact. Someone can just mark the message as read without logging in to WhatsApp with the intention of replying later.

You might feel ignored whereas the person didn't have the intention to ignore you. Sometimes, when the person finally replies, you were already fuming and might not reply properly or at all.

My last seen is available simply because I have nothing to hide

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by hardeycute(m): 5:33pm On May 16, 2020
This has always been me too. No expectations, no disappointments and dissatisfactions.
RoyalBlak007:
I do not expect too much from people. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 16, 2020
I always leave mine on. I've never felt the need to hide my read receipts to conceal when I read messages.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by GboyegaD(m): 5:54pm On May 16, 2020
Mine is disabled and I do notsee any issue with it. I have one of my whats app notifications silent because it became a big distraction at the time I was writing my thesis and even now, I think I like it that way. I shouldn't be controlled by a gadget I should have control over.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 16, 2020
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by cutiedave(m): 7:06pm On May 16, 2020
Mine is permanently off...and to be sincere, people like the OP made me disable mine... everything is sha about them.

They expect you to reply asap without considering how busy you are at that moment...

You can get angry with my response time if u don't know when i have read ur message...

Btw, this has greatly saved me from unnecessary explanation and i even have time to think about my response very well...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by crackland: 7:10pm On May 16, 2020
cutiedave:
Mine is permanently off...and to be sincere, itz people like the OP made me disable mine... everything is sha about them.

They expect you to reply asap without considering how busy you are at that moment...

You can get angry with my response time if u don't know when i have read ur message...

Btw, this has greatly saved me from unnecessary explanation and i even have time to think about my response very well...
gringrin
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by A305: 7:34pm On May 16, 2020
I have had mine turned off since I started using WhatsApp in 2016 and each time I reinstall whataspp with the 'receipt indicator' activated; I won't be comfortable chatting with any one.

Call it phony or pride - I still don't care - Not everyone deserves a reply when their question(s)/chat is out of context.

Some mischevious people are so daring chatting on whatsapp what they can't say to you face to face due to inhibition effect, so give me a reason to reply such a fellow, hence, my hidden seen receipt.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Mothers-in-law Always Worry Their Daughters-in-law / How Much Do You Think Your Partner Should Spend On. . . / Is It Ok To Lay Your Baby To Sleep Facing Up?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.