Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,259 members, 7,829,514 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? (1888 Views)

"My Husband Buys Chicken From Fastfood, Eats Alone, Hides Payment Receipts" / Woman Shares Reason Why Collecting Receipts At Pay Point Is Important (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Mariangeles(f): 7:55pm On May 16, 2020
A305:
I have had mine turned off since I started using WhatsApp in 2016 and each time I reinstall whataspp with the 'receipt indicator' activated; I won't be comfortable chatting with any one.

Call it phony or pride - I still don't care - Not everyone deserves a reply when their question(s)/chat is out of context.

Some mischevious people are so daring chatting on whatsapp what they can't say to you face to face due to inhibition effect, so give me a reason to reply such a fellow, hence, my hidden seen receipt.

It is not by force to have everyone on your contact list cheesy
If someone is being disrespectful, do the needful.
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:49pm On May 16, 2020
Hehehehe!

Everything is turned off! Last seen, read receipts, profile photo not visible to unsaved contacts...

It’s nothing serious, everyone with how they like their privacy.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by VickyRotex(f): 1:20am On May 17, 2020
Hathor5:

I was just curious because when I open WhatsApp to read your message you can see it but I can also read your message on my screen without opening WhatsApp and you won't see it. Either way, I decide when I reply and I reply when I can. If I don't, it is not because I am rude but most probably because I am busy or just tired. Nothing personal.

The fact that we are available 24/7 does not mean that we are obliged to react whenever someone decides to. I think this is disrespectful of other people's personal space and time. I don't expect anyone to dance to my tune, literally.

I was drafting a comment then I saw yours, I don't need to go any further. In bold, You nailed it! cool

I dont even know why this is up for discussion. Everyone is entitled to how they choose to manage their mobile applications, space and time. Doesnt mean they care less about the person reaching out.

Awon uncle Judge ati Aunty Judgena. tongue

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by VickyRotex(f): 1:25am On May 17, 2020
PuZZyNegro:
People have complained bitterly about this read receipt thing. Some say it's inferiority complex and cowardly to turn it off.

I personally turned my own off to keep my sanity in tact. Someone can just mark the message as read without logging in to WhatsApp with the intention of replying later.

You might feel ignored whereas the person didn't have the intention to ignore you. Sometimes, when the person finally replies, you were already fuming and might not reply properly or at all.

My last seen is available simply because I have nothing to hide

In bold exactly. cheesy

My last seen is enabled and read receipt disabled. Which means if you send me a message at 1pm and you see my last seen as 1.30pm, it means I opened WhatsApp but doesnt mean I've been able to read your message or that I can reply you immediately.
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Mofpearl: 1:51am On May 17, 2020
PrimadonnaO:
Hehehehe!

Everything is turned off! Last seen, read receipts, profile photo not visible to unsaved contacts...

It’s nothing serious, everyone with how they like their privacy.
Me too!!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Karleb(m): 3:05am On May 17, 2020
So people are gathered here complaining about how fast/slow other people reply their Whatsapp messages and more... ?!

Wonderment!
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by Hathor5(f): 11:11am On May 17, 2020
VickyRotex:

I was drafting a comment then I saw yours, I don't need to go any further. In bold, You nailed it! cool

I dont even know why this is up for discussion. Everyone is entitled to how they choose to manage their mobile applications, space and time. Doesnt mean they care less about the person reaching out.

Awon uncle Judge ati Aunty Judgena. tongue

I think so too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by zed7: 1:53pm On May 17, 2020
Thank God for block features. I always try to reply to messages. However, if you are a nuisance and decide to spam me or disturb my peace, I block you immediately.

As for read receipt, I turn it off and on at will. If you keep ignoring my messages, then we have nothing in common so I delete you. In life it's not that hard to know who has your time. You don't need a read receipt for that.
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by DonroxyII: 3:50pm On May 20, 2020
helinues:
I don't know if it is just me oo, but I hate it when chatting with someone on WhatsApp and the message is not showing read even after read...

That's sign of inferiority
Since I discovered the read receipt and it's function ... I loved it .. I turned mine off since 2019 .... It keeps me more anonymous and private.

it also works for status ... I can conveniently view people's status without chatting with them ... Cuz Once some people discovered you viewed their status , chatting yaff start....

I'm also happy I wouldn't know whether my message has been read or not .... No probs ... My own people will do the needful.
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by DonroxyII: 3:59pm On May 20, 2020
PuZZyNegro:
People have complained bitterly about this read receipt thing. Some say it's inferiority complex and cowardly to turn it off.

I personally turned my own off to keep my sanity in tact. Someone can just mark the message as read without logging in to WhatsApp with the intention of replying later.

You might feel ignored whereas the person didn't have the intention to ignore you. Sometimes, when the person finally replies, you were already fuming and might not reply properly or at all.

My last seen is available simply because I have nothing to hide
Me I turned everything off including last seen ....read receipt .... I even inquired from WhatsApp how to turned off when "Online" ... dem say That feature is not available ....

I have been at peace ..... no need to apologise for keeping a message waiting ....

On Facebook, people will greet you happy birthday , I was just tired of replying many people .... ... I just deactivated birthday from facebook last year ... no greetings anymore ....

Social media is intoxicating, addictive and too infringing on person's private life and personal space and peace....
Re: What's Your Take About Whatsapp Read Receipts? by yasolan(m): 5:11pm On May 20, 2020
I am more or less not bothered. Just lower your expectations of people.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Plea For Help In The Midst Of Hopelessness. / Mummydearest, Pissed@mum And Raising Kids Abroad / My Mother Taught Me...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.