Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Polygamy: The Debate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Polygamy: The Debate? (4757 Views)

Why Is Buhari Absent From The Debate? / VIDEO Of The Debate Between APC & PDP Youths On Channels / Apc Killed The Debate On Channels T.v Ur Views Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polygamy: The Debate? by ilawyer: 11:01am On Jan 15, 2011
Under civil law, Nigeria recognizes polygamous unions.

The northern states of Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Niger, Sokoto, Yobe, and Zamfara recognize polygamous marriages as equivalent to monogamous marriages, as all twelve are governed by Sharia Law, which allows for a man to take more than one wife as long as he treats them equally. Zamfara State was the first to legislate polygamy, which occurred on January 7, 2000. Gombe State has been the most recent state to provide for civil polygamy, legalizing it on December 14, 2001. As the southern region of Nigeria is composed of mostly Christians, polygamous marriages have not been legally introduced at this time.

Despite such, attempts to introduce Sharia (thereby legalizing polygamy) have been made in Oyo State, Kwara State, Lagos State a various others, yet all unsuccessful. However, polygamous unions are recognized by customary law in Nigeria, alledgely providing a handful of benefits for those in polygamous unions ranging from inheritance rights to child custody.
As of 2009, there has yet to be any debate of introducing a measure that would allow for civil polygamous marriages to be recognized within the entire country of Nigeria, letting the legislation play out on a state-by-state basis rather than introducing a nationwide measure.

What do you think? Should Nigeria as a whole legalize polygamy? and have you had any experiences with regards to this issue?
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Becomrichn: 11:17am On Jan 15, 2011
Ilawyer , polygamy in Nigeria is not because of islam. Islam did not bring polygamy into Nigeria. Nigeria had polygamy before islam.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by redsun(m): 11:23am On Jan 15, 2011
Becomrichn:

Ilawyer , polygamy in Nigeria is not because of islam. Islam did not bring polygamy into Nigeria. Nigeria had polygamy before islam.

I agree with you for once.Africans are polygamous in nature,have alway been and will always be.People should marry as much wives as they want as long as they are accountable to their families,the state and the society in general.

Not like a case of atiku looting our coffers to maintain his harem or the paedophile senator marrying a child
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Tsiya(m): 11:32am On Jan 15, 2011
redsun:

I agree with you for once.Africans are polygamous in nature,have alway been and will always be.People should marry as much wives as they want as long as they are accountable to their families,the state and the society in general.

Not like a case of atiku looting our coffers to maintain his harem or the paedophile senator marrying a child
or Abiola whose family doesn't know their limit.

EVen the North, the Polygamy is not practiced as Islam enshrined, the whole thing is being abused by hony-wealthy men.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Tsiya(m): 11:38am On Jan 15, 2011
@ilawyer

You should be thinking about how the government should regulate religion and religious activities.

Religion is the strongest institution that all Nigerians recognise and if the government will regulate football, transport and business, why shouldn't the government relugate the most important social insitute in Nigeria.

We shouldn't copy everything the western society are doing. We should have a government that suits out needs and our way of life not changing our way of life to suit a government.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Becomrichn: 11:52am On Jan 15, 2011
My friend, if two women choice to marry one man. that is not government business.  You must separate marriage from government.  It is not government business how many you marry. it is your business.

When two women decide to marry one man, what is government business in that.  It is thier choice. it has nothing to do with government and should never be put in a constitution.

Government should not be the one who determine what you use your life for.

Even white people marry more than one woman. There is a program on television call "sister wife. "

government should get out of marriage.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by ekubear1: 1:27pm On Jan 15, 2011
These polygamists, I dunno how they cope. I can barely handle one woman as is tongue
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Akhenaten: 1:30pm On Jan 15, 2011
eku_bear:

These polygamists, I dunno how they cope. I can barely handle one woman as is tongue

What kind of African man are you? grin You have been in the West for far too long. Maybe I should have 5 wives like my grandfather.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Becomrichn: 1:46pm On Jan 15, 2011
eku_bear,Why cant you cope with one woman.  polygamist find it more easy than one man with one wife. financial polygamist man do better than single men. most of the rich men in Nigeria are polygamist.   They have 3 or 4 wives.

That is like having 5 salary coming in each month, compare to two salary. they are all sharing the same house like others. so they pay less bill , which they save, and end up in business.  financially it is rewarding for most  polygamist.

I would rather be a polygamist.  than a gay man , I prefer women, any day and any time.
it hard for women to be alone, i hope you know that.

eku_bear, are you gay person
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by ekubear1: 6:17pm On Jan 15, 2011
^---  grin grin grin

Well, first of all, Nigerian women, the type that consent to polygamy are not the sort who will make anything more than pittances. I'd much rather have one wife pulling in $200k+/year from her medical practice than 5 uneducated housewives who drain away my funds.

Second, I dunno how my reluctance to deal with more than one woman suggests that I am gay. As I said before, women are complicated enough as is. . . it would drain away all my energy having to deal with more than one. And I say this as I guy who has several sisters.

@Akhenaten: If you can pull it off, more power to you man! I just want to live a long life and enjoy my life fully. Not sure the benefits of multiple wives outweighs the costs. . .
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 15, 2011
Becomrichn:

That is like having 5 salary coming in each month, compare to two salary. they are all sharing the same house like others. so they pay less bill , which they save, and end up in business.  financially it is rewarding for most  polygamist.

LOL grin grin grin

I swear, I have never looked at it that way before. Ok, you pay less bills, let's assume the women have three children each, don't you think whatever you save from paying less bills will go to taking care of 15 children, which is by no means an easy task.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Becomrichn: 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2011
look at it this way. it allow you to buy things in bulk and it is cheaper to buy in bulk than single. and another thing about is increase your network.  That why they become rich.  they have more network of people.

Look Why would people allow lesbian people to marry, but the same people who allow lesbian, find it hard to allow polygamy in America?  have you ask the question.  dont forget this are two women. what about if two women decided they want to marry one man.  It even better to be a polygamist than allow gay marriages. Polygamy is about a man and woman, "doing it " the way God want it. gay is men and men.Can you see my point.  Why would a society want to allow men and men. But when a woman want to be with a man. That same society says NO. I dont understand america.

How do you think women who cant have children use to do in Yoruba society. their husband have children by another woman.  Instead of throwning her on the street. she would rather be first wife.  Now what aboutif your son wife could not have  children , most women are going to kick the daughter in law out. but in Yoruba culture , you marry second wife. Instead of kicking the woman on the street.

What I am trying to say, is it is not government business to be in marriage. There should be no government law determine how you run your life about marriage.
It is not government business if Atiku is married to 20 wives. That is Atiku problem.  that is his business. Not government.
you cant force your own religion on others.
like i said before, i would rather be a polygamist than be gay. read my lips, I love women. i am not ashame to say it.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by ilawyer: 10:44pm On Jan 15, 2011
Marriage: the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc

What exactly is polygamy?

Having more than one husband or wife
, though technically when there are more women to one man that is properly called polygyny. When a woman has more than one husband that is polyandry. It takes many forms across the globe. In some cultures one wife is shared by brothers. In others a father and son have a common wife. In others a man has many wives – up to 11 in the Arsi region of Ethiopia. In many a widow is inherited by her dead husband's brothers, father or even a son by another wife.

Example: SA president in 2010 aged 67 married his fifth wife in a traditional ceremony at his remote homestead in KwaZulu-Natal. His first wife, whom he married in 1973, was there to see him wed a woman 30 years his junior. His second wife stayed home to prepare the reception. He had two other wives but he divorced one in 1998 and another committed suicide in 2000. And he has not finished yet. The other day he paid the traditional dowry for his sixth fiancée.

more to come,
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Abeem(m): 2:31am On Jan 16, 2011
ilawyer's hatred for Muslims and Islam has closed his sense of reasoning that he couldn't relate that polygamy is native to Africa and also, perhaps due to limited knowledge, he doesn't know that there are Christian sects who preaches and practice polygamy. One example is the Mormon, the Latter Day Saints (LDS) which originates from the United States and predominates the US state of Utah.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by cskin: 9:11pm On Jan 16, 2011
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by ilawyer: 9:28pm On Jan 16, 2011
According to the independent, more than a thousand societies were researched. Of these just 186 were monogamous. Some 453 had occasional polygyny and in 588 more it was quite common. Just four featured polyandry.
Some anthropologists believe that polygamy has been the norm through human history. In 2003, New Scientist magazine suggested that, until 10,000 years ago, most children had been sired by comparatively few men. Variations in DNA, it said, showed that the distribution of X chromosomes suggested that a few men seem to have had greater input into the gene pool than the rest. By contrast most women seemed to get to pass on their genes. Humans, like their primate forefathers, it said, were at least "mildly polygynous".

Polygamy is very common in the animist ( The belief in the existence of individual spirits) and Muslim communities of West Africa. In Senegal, for example, nearly 47 per cent of marriages are said to feature multiple women. It is relatively high still in many Arab nations; among the Bedouin population of Israel it stands at about 30 per cent. According to The Salt Lake Tribune as many as 10,000 Mormon fundamentalists in 2005 lived in polygamous families.

[b]So what are the origins of Polygamy?[/b]No one knows. But there are clues. It is most common in places where pre-colonial economic activity centred around subsistence farming which requires lots of manpower, Africa being a prime example. High levels of infant mortality may be a factor; when many children do not survive past the age of five a family needs more than one child-bearer to be economically viable.

Then there is war. When a lot of men die, having more than one wife boosts the population most swiftly. The more wives a man had the more military and political alliances he could forge. Wealth and status became wrapped up in the number of wives a man had. A larger family became a source of pride, while a smaller one was a symbol of failure and shame. By contrast, in a society with too few resources and too many people, polyandry is a way of limiting population growth. A woman can only have so many children, no matter how many husbands she has. Such considerations were often consciously political.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by jaygetta1: 11:08pm On Jan 16, 2011
@ OP: Man was never designed to have one female partner, end of story! Carry ur Oyinbo jagbajantis comot for here. . .how many wives did ur Grand-Father have?
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by oderemo(m): 11:12pm On Jan 16, 2011
^^,
hope you wouldn't be dissappointed if the grand father had one wife. undecided
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Kenezi: 11:26pm On Jan 16, 2011
Mormons aren't Christians, they are Mormons, they worship Joseph Smith. Polygamy is banned in all Christianity.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Abeem(m): 1:32am On Jan 17, 2011
Kenezi:

Mormons aren't Christians, they are Mormons, they worship Joseph Smith. Polygamy is banned in all Christianity.
You can say that from the comfort of you home in 9ija. Go to Utah and make that pronouncement and see what will happen to you.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by jaygetta1: 1:37am On Jan 17, 2011
@Ode-Remo: hehehehe, I will be o; becus my Grand Dad had one wife. Lol
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Kilode1: 2:33am On Jan 17, 2011
Becomrichn:

eku_bear,Why cant you cope with one woman.  polygamist find it more easy than one man with one wife. financial polygamist man do better than single men. most of the rich men in Nigeria are polygamist.   They have 3 or 4 wives.

That is like having 5 salary coming in each month, compare to two salary. they are all sharing the same house like others. so they pay less bill , which they save, and end up in business.  financially it is rewarding for most  polygamist.I would rather be a polygamist.  than a gay man , I prefer women, any day and any time.

it hard for women to be alone, i hope you know that.

eku_bear, are you gay person

Becomrichn:

look at it this way. it allow you to buy things in bulk and it is cheaper to buy in bulk than single. and another thing about is increase your network.  That why they become rich.  they have more network of people.

Look Why would people allow lesbian people to marry, but the same people who allow lesbian, find it hard to allow polygamy in America? have you ask the question. dont forget this are two women. what about if two women decided they want to marry one man.  It even better to be a polygamist than allow gay marriages. Polygamy is about a man and woman, "doing it " the way God want it. gay is men and men.Can you see my point.  Why would a society want to allow men and men. But when a woman want to be with a man. That same society says NO. I dont understand america.

How do you think women who cant have children use to do in Yoruba society. their husband have children by another woman.  Instead of throwning her on the street. she would rather be first wife.  Now what aboutif your son wife could not have a children , most women are going kick the daughter in law out. but in Yoruba culture , you marry second wife. Instead of kicking the woman on the street.

What I am trying to say, is it is not government business to be in marriage. There should be no government law determine how you run your life about marriage.
It is not government business if Atiku is married to 20 wives. That is Atiku problem.  that is his business. Not government.
you cant force your own religion on others.
like i said before, i would rather be a polygamist than be gay. read my lips, I love women. i am not ashame to say it.

[size=18pt]EPIC POST!! [/size]

[size=14pt]Aare Gbogbo O'dua online! Asiwaju Okunrin!! The Oranmiyan of Nairaland!!! [/size] cheesy cheesy

Egbon, E ku laakaye!! ~Thank you for your profound, thought provoking analysis~

May you live long in cyberspace!!! I'm in awe!!! cheesy grin
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by ekubear1: 2:44am On Jan 17, 2011
^---  grin grin grin grin grin

I am starting to wonder if I give off a gayish internet vibe. Becomerich is not even the first nairalander to call me gay! tongue
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Kilode1: 2:54am On Jan 17, 2011
^^ It's that liberal American thingy you seem to champion everywhere, the live and let live, protect the women mentality is seen as "gay" around these parts cheesy

The confusing part though is that when it comes to fashion, most Nigerian guys are more metrosexual than regular US Males. They might look like a Black version of Sacha Baron Cohen until they express their conservative worldviews.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Becomrichn: 3:06am On Jan 17, 2011
ilawyer polyandry is only know may be in 2 society in the world.  but more than 120 countries of the world have polygamy

And most religion reject polyandry,   But most religion accept polygamy. Even in Isreal or the USA some  churches allow for polygamy. in some states in the USA polygamy is well know.

Nobody is saying ilawyer, you should accept polygamy, the truth is Ilawyer, you want to take away government from people life. It is not government business to get involve in people  life.  leave them allow. you dont want to start getting into religion. and force your religion believe on others.

Churches who force thier views on others are not good churches. If you tell people something and they dont want it, you leave them alone. churches going to play games to destroy other peoples lifes, are bad and evil churches.  This are not children of God. Those should not be call men of God. Mind your our believes. Leave islam , budahist etc and face your lifes. if you talk to someone and he is not interested leave him alone to mind his lifes. You cant force people to come to your church by force.

IF they say No, understand NO is NO. you going behind doing unGodly things, that if we start telling people, they question , your character. This are not good churches.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by isalegan2: 3:12am On Jan 17, 2011
eku_bear:

^---  grin grin grin grin grin

I am starting to wonder if I give off a gayish internet vibe. Becomerich is not even the first nairalander to call me gay! tongue

You don't give off a gay vibe.  Broda Becomrich is out of his mind!  He's talking about 5 wives in the same house and everyone sharing their money and crap. shocked  They'll kill each other!  If you're gonna do that, have the sense to buy them their own homes/flats.  Didn't you read "Things Fall Apart"?  Didn't each wife have her own hut?   smiley

At least we now know what else the Broda is passionate about besides satellite maps - THE WIMENS! cheesy

Anyway, I don't want to be in this thread.  

*I was never here*
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Becomrichn: 3:22am On Jan 17, 2011
The bible talk about polygamy. Even Jesus talk about polygamy.

The problem is , most people dont read thier Bible. What most people do is they take anything a pastor tell them, without them checking to see what the bible says. Most people in the new testement had more than one wives. Some church are asking people not to get married because Paul did not get marry, what apply to paul can not be applied to everybody. That paul life.

Nigeria does not need a leader who force his religion on others. To force your own religion view on others is not a Godly thing to do my brother.

So when the church now let itself be taken by evil, just because they want to maintain monopoly as the only nigeria church and doing unGodly thing that is wrong against other. God see it.

Understanding polygamy in america. Monogamy is an anglo american law, not tradition. In isreal there is polygamy.

Anyone who is against polygamy does not know the word of God. You see, the bible clearly state, that at the last day polygamy would be the order of the day. That men are going to have multiple wives. This is the prophecy and this prophecy most come to back.

Isaiah 4:1

In that day seven women will take hold of one man and say, "We will eat our own food and provide our own clothes; only let us be called by your name. Take away our disgrace!"

2 Ne 14:1

Can you see the word " take away our disgrace" I do I take away thier disgrace, dont laugh o. "by marrying them" by marrying them. I know it sound funny but dont laugh.

America law allows you marry one legal. but does not mean, you can not have another wife , not in the books. many people in america have polygamy marriage. How do you think muslim do it in america.

Even in nigeria, there are churches which allow polygamy.

this is an american who is a polygamist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4qnrmjcwww

There is a bible prophecy behind it. And noone can show you anywhere in the bible that say you cant have more than one wife. the only think we can see his paul written timothy 1tim 3:2. apart from people talking about flesh(term wrong use)

Polygamy must happen for the bible prophecy to be fulfilled. Nobody should do anything to prevent this prophecy.

When a pharises ask Jesus if he can divorce his wife. he ask Jesus in a singlular term. "wife" but Jesus reply in plural term. "wives"

This man was talking about wife. Jesus said like a yorubaman, wives.

The bible tell you about "the wife of thier youth", it refered to thier first wife.

And when you look at Jesus parable to the 10 virgin. Jesus talk about one man married 5 wives on this same day.

Matthew 25

25:1 "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins
who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

25:2 Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

25:3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them,

25:4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

25:5 But while the bridegroom. was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

25:6 And at midnight a cry was heard:
'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!'

25:7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps.

25:8 And the foolish said to the wise,
'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'

25:9 But the wise answered, saying,
'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you;
but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.'

25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came,
And those who were ready went in with him to the wedding;
and the door was shut.

25:11 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying,
'Lord, Lord, open to us!'

You would see that Jesus was talking about polygamy, because there is a prophecy tied to polygamy. that a man would take seven wives. The only place you find is 1 tim 3:2 , which clear state, if a man want to be a Bishop. But hear is the truth , how many men want to be like Bishop Oyedepo. Not many.

And notice that statement says if a man want to be a bishop he must be a husband of one wife. And what about if a man does not want to be a Bishop. This portion of the bible tell you, that in the early church during the time of Paul and Timothy many of the born again christain , had more than one wife. that why he told you. It means many of the born again people with timothy , he had to look for only the one who had one wife to make bishop. some of them had more than one wife. Not every man want to be like Bishop Oyedepo.

I am clear against putting anything in the nigeria constitution that prevent polygamy because it is against the prophecy of the bible. The prophecy would not be fulfilled if we have it in our laws against it.

Isaiah 4:1

In that day seven women will take hold of one man and say, "We will eat our own food and provide our own clothes; only let us be called by your name. Take away our disgrace!"

Is there anybody who has disgrace out there. 5 virgins were foolish, may you never be foolish. Do you still want to keep your disgrace. dont be a foolish virgin. You can see my email.

becomrich2010@yahoo.com
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Nobody: 5:30am On Jan 17, 2011
Becommrich, I swear. You can be bloody annoying. still loffs you tho kiss

@post
It needs to end. Case closed!
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by ekubear1: 5:36am On Jan 17, 2011
Kilode?!:

^^ It's that liberal American thingy you seem to champion everywhere, the live and let live, protect the women mentality is seen as "gay" around these parts cheesy
Heh, fair enough. Ain't changing for nobody.

The confusing part though is that when it comes to fashion, most Nigerian guys are more metrosexual than regular US Males. They might look like a Black version of Sacha Baron Cohen until they express their conservative worldviews.
Lol, yep! Nigerian dudes dress too well. Me, I'm like 2-5 years behind on fashion trends. Fortunately though, my lack of interest in fashion hasn't hurt my competitiveness too much (at least, so i hope.)

isale_gan2:

You don't give off a gay vibe.  Broda Becomrich is out of his mind!  He's talking about 5 wives in the same house and everyone sharing their money and crap. shocked  They'll kill each other!  If you're gonna do that, have the sense to buy them their own homes/flats.  Didn't you read "Things Fall Apart"?  Didn't each wife have her own hut?   smiley
Five women in the same house is the fastest way to wake up one morning missing your balls. Or with a knife in your throat. . . these polygamists are a lot braver than I am, I guess tongue Or Naija women are a lot more beaten down/meek than I thought.
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by Nobody: 6:26am On Jan 17, 2011
start with 90% of our past presidents / milads

including the current one

perhaps it should be part of the presidentrial debates

i suspect our incumbent is the only candidate with multiple wives, and is a christian

should make for an interesting discussion  tongue

perhaps ilwayer can tell us if our president is a christian or not based on his practicing polygamy, and also go further explaining why adeboye who if i remeber correctly excommunicated some dude for divorce or some such was ministering to a fellow that should have been excommunicated
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by isalegan2: 6:32am On Jan 17, 2011
eku_bear:

Five women in the same house is the fastest way to wake up one morning missing your balls. Or with a knife in your throat. . . these polygamists are a lot braver than I am, I guess.

Hahahahahaha. Maybe you are gay. Hehehehehehe. I'm kidding I'm joking. Wuss! grin
Re: Polygamy: The Debate? by fstranger1: 6:44am On Jan 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Hahahahahaha. Maybe you are gay. Hehehehehehe. I'm kidding I'm joking. Wuss! grin

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeTCVojVE2Q?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ijaw Now Nigeria's Second Largest Tribe! / SEE What Aregbesola Is Doing To His People In Osun State : PHOTOS / 700 Pound Snake Pulled Out Of Lake In North Carolina? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.