Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? (250 Views)

Should Bride Price Be Paid On Non-virgins? / "After 14 Years Of Dating, He Came To Pay My Bride Price" - Beautiful Lady Says / Man Marrying 6 Women In Delta, Pays Bride Price Of 3, Leaves 3 Stubborn Ones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? by Nobody: 12:58am On May 17, 2020
Some of our cultures really set us back . Many people haven't married or not even thinking about marriage due to not having enough money .Should bride price be abolished so that there'll be marriage boom ? what's your opinion?

PS during precolonial Nigeria most bride prices were paid with farm products like yam and goat and chicken. These days parents get greedy and demand outrageous items like car and phones, some even demand a House as bride price .
Re: Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? by Ekakamba: 1:05am On May 17, 2020
grin
Re: Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? by tidalstorm(m): 1:08am On May 17, 2020
Even if we wanted to, bride price cannot be abolished. Their will be other ways to extort money from the groom. Na culture wey don dey before dem born our ancestors.
If it can be regulated, it will be alright.
Re: Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? by Faithful4real(m): 1:28am On May 17, 2020
Seriously, you are lost. Which proof will you have that you are married to your wife. Even if you wed at the church without bride price you have not married her.
Re: Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? by Gentle0wavez: 6:06am On May 17, 2020
No it shouldn't be abolished, go and ask your elders it's significance they will tell you
Re: Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? by mezarddinny: 7:57am On May 17, 2020
there are a lot of cultural practices that should have been abolished since 1960s yet it is still being practiced just because we are too dumb to think of the negative effects of such on us as a people

bride price as no significant importance, it doesn't determine the success or failure of a marriage but what it does is frustrate young men and women who would have lived better if there was no such practice in place. Imagine a man who is hardworking and has made some good money, instead of him to use the money to invest and create employment for maybe 2 people thereby helping the economy in his little way, he instead spends it on alcohol, cloth and bride price and then the money vanishes. this young man's hustle of 3 or 4 years is spent on a venture that others do without a single dime.

this generation has to change a lot of things tbh
Re: Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? by mrblessed(m): 9:22am On May 17, 2020
Since culture is dynamic and not static, I think it is high time we abolish the payment of bride price and dowry as well. Well, there are families in the East who don't accept the payment of bride, but it is inadequate to rely on individual discretion alone. It has to be collective and multilateral. We might maintain other marriage rites, but the issue of bride price is outdated, and should be phased out. The claim that a lot of money were used in the training of the girl child does not hold water since the amount collected as bride price does not cover the amount spent in her training. So, what purpose does bride price serve?

It is not because the west don't practise it anymore, it is simply because it reduces the dignity of women to a mere commodity to be carted off with money and, it is one of the reasons women suffer in marriages today. In the past women were married, apart from bearing children, to provide addition hand in farm. But today, a lot women are breadwinners of their families and are still shackled by this patriarchial principle.
Re: Should Bride Price Culture Be Abolished? by Nobody: 9:46am On May 17, 2020
Me na oyinbo I wan marry
Cause den no dey collect bride price
Well to our people here if den like make Dem abolish am if Dem like make Dem no abolish am
If I marry a Nigerian woman shishi I no go pay
Cause what I want to pay for someone somewhere has already eaten it for free smiley

(1) (Reply)

Simi- Duduke Dance Challenge / Wife Pour Hot Soup Cheating Husband @ Restuarant / Pls Can I Travel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.