Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,881 members, 7,828,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently (20547 Views)

Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question / Ghana And South Africa, Which Is More Friendly To Nigeria? / United States Of Africa? Which Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently by notcorrupt: 10:32am On Jan 17, 2011
Litmus:

unipol

Typical Niraland statistics which only buttresses my point---

99% of Nigerians are murderers and thieves. This is a fact you cant doubt since Nigeria does not keep records 

You are a not-so-smart person for making such a suggestion.

Lets see, who has the highest HIV rates in the world ?

Who attacks immigrants that helped support them during Apartheid

Quote taken from Wikipedia

"Crime is a prominent issue in South Africa. South Africa has a high rate of murders, assaults, despoils, and other crimes compared to most countries. Many emigrants from South Africa state that crime was a big factor in their decision to leave.[1]" Wikipedia

Statistics

A survey for the period 1998–2000 compiled by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime ranked South Africa second for assault and murder (by all means) per capita and first for despoils per capita in a data set of 60 countries.[6] Total crime per capita was 10th out of the 60 countries in the dataset.

The United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute have also conducted research[7] on the victims of crime which shows the picture of South African crime as more typical of a developing country. These statistics show that South Africa has lower rates of violent crime than many African and South American countries.
The murder rate has increased by an order of magnitude in South Africa during the last 40 years,[8] though it has fallen from 66.9 per 100,000 people in 1994–95 to 37.3 per 100,000 in 2008–09.[9] From 2003–2009, crime decreased significantly according to official police data.[10]

According to government statistics, violent crimes such as murder and (reported) robberies decreased in 2007. Between 1994 and 2009, the murder rate reduced by 50% to 34 murders per 100 000 people.[11] violation and hijacking rates, however, showed no signs of slowdown. Hijackings and cash-in-transit heists, particularly, have been shown to be on the increase. The incidence of violation has led to the country being referred to as the "violation capital of the world".[12]

[edit]Sexual violence
Main article: Sexual violence in South Africa

According to a survey for the period 1998–2000 compiled by the United Nations, South Africa was ranked first for despoils per capita.[13] One in three of the 4,000 women questioned by the Community of Information, Empowerment and Transparency said they had been violated in the past year.[14] More than 25 per cent of South African men questioned in a survey published by the Medical Research Council (MRC) in June 2009 admitted to violation; of those, nearly half said they had violated more than one person.[15][16] Three out of four of those who had admitted violation indicated that they had attacked for the first time during their teens.[15] South Africa has amongst the highest incidences of child and baby violation in the world.[17]

[edit]Car hijackings
South Africa also has a high record of car hijackings when compared with industrialised countries, typically characterised by a lower rate of car ownership.[citation needed] A South African insurance company, Hollard Insurance, stated in 2007 that they would no longer insure Volkswagen Citi Golfs manufactured in the previous two years as they were one of the most frequently hijacked vehicles in South Africa.[18] Certain high-risk areas are marked with road signs indicating a high incidence of car hi-jackings within the locality.[19]

[edit]Farm attacks
Crime against commercial farmers continues to be a major problem in the country (no citation?)

References

^ SA's woes spark another exodus
^ Police Survey 2006IOL News on crime scourge
^ DA challenge on Burundi
^ Independent Projects Trust: Crime prevention projects
^ Fight or flight?, Cape Argus, 2 June 2006. Retrieved 28 September 2006.
^ NationMaster: South African crime statistics. Retrieved 28 September 2006.
^ Victimisation in the developing world, United Nations Crime and Justice Research Institute
^ Coloured homicide trends in South Africa Institute for Security Studies, March 2004. Retrieved 20 November 2010.
^ "The great scourges". The Economist. 3 June 2010. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
^ Crime Statistics in the RSA for the period April 2003 to March 2009 South African Police Service
^ Crime, security in SA, , IOL, 6 November 2007. Retrieved 30 November 2007.
^ SA 'rape capital' of the world, News24, 22 November 2005. Retrieved 10 March 2007.
^ "NationMaster: South African Crime Statistics".
^ Rape- silent war on SA women
^ a b "South African rape survey shock." BBC News. June 18, 2009.
^ "Quarter of men in South Africa admit rape, survey finds". The Guardian. June 17, 2009.
^ Oprah scandal rocks South Africa
^ Why insurance firm snubs Citi Golfs
^ "Extreme weekend". SecondBestBlog.com. 2007-04-15. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
^ a b http://www.sahrc.org.za/sahrc_cms/downloads/Boomgate%20Report.pdf
^ Karina Landman, Gated communities in South Africa: Building bridges or barriers?, International Conference on Private Urban Governance, Mainz, Germany, 6–9 June 2002. Retrieved 28 September 2006.
^ Cops spend R100m on private security protection, SABCnews.com, 10 March 2007. Retrieved 10 March 2007.
^ "SA, capital of white-collar crime," Mail & Guardian
Re: Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently by playmode(m): 11:07am On Jan 17, 2011
notcorrupt:

I shudder at the above analysis.

The ones I work with always put on a smiley face as per fake , but generally we get on, most likely because if there start their hatred here, they will most likely be sacked.

So what is it for Nigerians living in ZA ?

For Nigerians living in SA it depends on which side of the fence you are on. Whether you are here illegally or legally , whether you are into a legit business or you are a criminal.

From the very moment i landed in South Africa right from the airport i experienced racism because the immigration officer who let me in  was white. He was shocked to find a 3years business visa in my passport. He asked me point blank how much i paid to get the visa. I put on smile and told i did not buy it. His reply : poo! these Nigerians, they will never stop coming here as if we don’t have enough of them already”

The general perception in SA is that Nigerians are bad news. The whites blames us for turning their kids into junkies(it is true many Nigerians have ruined people lives with drugs).But many whites who have not dealt with Nigerians also hate Nigerians. When you ask them why , they will tell because Nigerians are all criminals. At first i used to get angry but i soon got used to it and focused on the reason why i was there.

If you are a Nigerian and you come to SA to start a business, if you have good business plan you will become rich within 2years.It is very easy to get rich here if you are black because Saffers (south African) are not as "sharp" as Nigerians. Nigerian business men here are very astute and become successful within a short time. We bring our Nigerian Street Sense into SA and start small scale businesses that do not already exist in SA. Our only competition in SA are the Pakistanis and Ethiopians who are also astute businessmen. A large number of the black South African population are poor but close to 20% of the African immigrants living in SA are rich while about 5% are millionaires. This makes the whites jealous as well as some SA blacks who feel that we are taking our advantage of their country to amass wealth for ourselves.

On the other hand there are Nigerians who come here with evil intentions ,419 ,drugs, prostitution syndicates e.t.c Most of these guys get rich within the first 6 months and then they start killing each other. Nigerians kill each other here more than South Africans kill Nigerians. There a few stories you will here of former bakassi boys kidnapping another fellow Nigerian who is rich and asking his wife to raise money to free him. This is one of the reason why I don’t have too many Nigerians friends here and the ones i have don’t know where i reside.419 boys also kidnap Americans and UK citizen who fall for their "come and carry" scam. One thing about the SA media is that they like to sensationalize everything and they love to report Nigerian crime because they get huge ratings when they report Nigerian crime. The propaganda spread by the SA media is what lead to the movie “District 9”.Anyone who has watched that movie will agree with me that the white South Africans who acted in that movie made sure they sent the message across to the world that they hate Nigerians and that Nigerians are barbarians who believe in voodoo and would do anything for money or power (sleeping with an alien ,eating alien flesh).

So like i said it depends on which side of the fence you are on. I don't give a rat's backside about white South Africans , they hate me i dislike them. When i drive around in my car ,you can see the way they look at me wondering where i got the money to buy such a car. White South Africans find it difficult to adjust to their new reality. They used to be privileged under apartheid but now they are getting poor and the blacks are getting rich. This make them want to explode.

The bottom line is that you can make shitloads of money here in a short period of time especially if you have capital and you are BLACK.

Below is an illustration of the SA’s past reality where blacks bow to their white masters and the current reality where blacks are kicking their asses.

Re: Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 17, 2011
if apartheid alone is to be considered,i will give it to the south.

angry angry angry

they are unfriendly and highly unstable
Re: Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 04, 2013
Well thats where some of you are wrong. I'm black and i go to the same school as white people and my friends are white people we share everything and also they respect black people and some of the black people in S.A they have white people as their maids,gate openers,security guards etc and my dad is a civil engineer and he works with white people. those days of racism are gone we have a new south africa. and also how many white people do u see in nigeria per day? stop talking things you are uncertain about S.A is far Much better than The so cold overpopulated Nigeria!!
Re: Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently by andrewza: 9:01am On Jul 04, 2013
frosbel: But seriously , if South Africa is not as violent as Nigeria, how come all the whites are running away.

In fact we have tons of our beloved white African brothers working here in the UK and doing exceptionally well.

By God's mercies, I have been on holiday to Nigeria many times and have never had any issues relating to security such as kidnappings, robberies etc.

I attribute this to God's protection.

Most whites leave due to economics. Affertiv acstion and all that. Basicaly me has a white south african am less effected by crime than say the poor black. How ever I am less lickley to get a promostion. The SANDF has balnced out now so if another white guy above me gets promoted or leaves I have a spot. How ever privat companies are not ballanced so you end up with sittsions where a black guy will jump in front of white people. A good example is SAA who have stoped hiring white pilots.

Many white people leave because of this. On average a black persone is at great risk of crime.
Re: Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently by andrewza: 9:11am On Jul 04, 2013
Let's put it this way. In SA most muerders hapen between people who know each other. So don't hang around with the wrong crowd you will be fine. Most robbers don't want to kill you just your money.

Nigeria has indescrimted vilonence. Intera villges get raided, bombings, extra.

SA has very accurit poliece recorders. Nigeria has many undocument crimes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Probe Looters In APC, Nigerians Tell Buhari / Mali: Osinbajo In Accra For ECOWAS Summit (Photos) / Lagos At 50 - Ikorodu To Get New Stadium, Shopping Mall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.