Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? (938 Views)

Bandits Are Not Muslims, North Is Undereducated & Underpopulated- Bello El-Rufai / Why North Is Tolerating Buhari – Shehu Sani / The North Is Seriously Atikulating... Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by DanHaske: 11:53pm On May 17, 2020
The north is the problem of this country! Thats how most people always chuckle satisfactorily to themselves. When you ask them how it is so, they began to wobble. Wobble around and end up saying nothing. It is quite easy to lay such accusations. But we should also know that there is no position that a northerner has held in this country that had not been occupied by a southerner. How they performed in that position has nothing to do with where they come from. We say northerners have been ruling this country ever since and nothing good to show. Well, it is not only northerners that have ruled Nigeria, and for those who would say that northerners have damaged Nigeria. I will ask you how so, but first let me briefly outline some policies and actions that have damaged this country.
Destroyer number 1 - Aguyi Ironsi
Aguyi Ironsi took power in 1966 after forcing the cabinet members to "willingly" hand over power to him. For the record, he had no business taking over power since the ongoing coup had been quelled by Yakubu Gowon. The first thing Ironsi did was to promulgate a unification decree. The damage that did to this country can still be felt to this day.
Secondly, Ironsi's actions or inactions led to the civil war. If the C in C had brought the coup plotters to book instead of giving them a luxury prison life, the northern officers wouldn;t have planned any coup and the northern soldiers wouldn't have hijacked the coup and turned it into a massaccre. The infortunate incident that led to the civil war. Ironsi did irrepairable damage to this country.
2. Olusegun Obasanjo
The baba himself. In his eyes, he is the best thing that has ever happened to this country. Obasanjo was the first President we had after the return to democracy, there was an economic boom during his time. However, he did certain things that has damaged Nigeria till date. For instance, he handed over local governments to governors just to get their support for second tenure. This action stalled the local governments in most states and has impeded grassroot development to this date. Governors now see the local governments as their cash cow and will not let it go without an agressive fight.
Obj gave Bakassi to Cameroon just to look good to the international community. No country gives away even a square inch of its land to another. The best they can do is to keep fighting over it and call it disputed land till eternity.
It was Obj that set the template for horrible elections in this country. Sit in a room, write results and go out and announce it. The electoral process has never been the same again
During Obasanjo, any elected public official whom he doesn't like was removed. Be it governor, senator or any other person. It was him that introduced "ghana must go" bags in the national assembly. Political assassinations left right and centre.
3. Goodluck Jonathan
I will not say much about this man. There are people here who believe he is the best president Nigeria ever has. But if you know, you know.
We are still yet to recover from the damage his looting machines did to this country.
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by temblor1(m): 12:17am On May 18, 2020
How about Buhari^2, Abdulsalam, Abacha, Babangida, e.t.c
Stop fooling yourself, young man.

3 Likes

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by emilas1979(m): 3:45am On May 18, 2020
Trash

Fix ya North
DanHaske:
The north is the problem of this country! Thats how most people always chuckle satisfactorily to themselves. When you ask them how it is so, they began to wobble. Wobble around and end up saying nothing. It is quite easy to lay such accusations. But we should also know that there is no position that a northerner has held in this country that had not been occupied by a southerner. How they performed in that position has nothing to do with where they come from. We say northerners have been ruling this country ever since and nothing good to show. Well, it is not only northerners that have ruled Nigeria, and for those who would say that northerners have damaged Nigeria. I will ask you how so, but first let me briefly outline some policies and actions that have damaged this country.
Aguyi Ironsi took power in 1966 after forcing the cabinet members to "willingly" hand over power to him. For the record, he had no business taking over power since the ongoing coup had been quelled by Yakubu Gowon. The first thing Ironsi did was to promulgate a unification decree. The damage that did to this country can still be felt to this day.
Secondly, Ironsi's actions or inactions led to the civil war. If the C in C had brought the coup plotters to book instead of giving them a luxury prison life, the northern officers wouldn;t have planned any coup and the northern soldiers wouldn't have hijacked the coup and turned it into a massaccre. The infortunate incident that led to the civil war. Ironsi did irrepairable damage to this country.
2. Olusegun Obasanjo
The baba himself. In his eyes, he is the best thing that has ever happened to this country. Obasanjo was the first President we had after the return to democracy, there was an economic boom during his time. However, he did certain things that has damaged Nigeria till date. For instance, he handed over local governments to governors just to get their support for second tenure. This action stalled the local governments in most states and has impeded grassroot development to this date. Governors now see the local governments as their cash cow and will not let it go without an agressive fight.
Obj gave Bakassi to Cameroon just to look good to the international community. No country gives away even a square inch of its land to another. The best they can do is to keep fighting over it and call it disputed land till eternity.
It was Obj that set the template for horrible elections in this country. Sit in a room, write results and go out and announce it. The electoral process has never been the same again
During Obasanjo, any elected public official whom he doesn't like was removed. Be it governor, senator or any other person. It was him that introduced "ghana must go" bags in the national assembly. Political assassinations left right and centre.
3. Goodluck Jonathan
I will not say much about this man. There are people here who believe he is the best president Nigeria ever has. But if you know, you know.
We are still yet to recover from the damage his looting machines did to this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by BafanaBafana: 2:03pm On May 18, 2020
temblor1:
How about Buhari^2, Abdulsalam, Abacha, Babangida, e.t.c
Stop fooling yourself, young man.
If you read and understood well, you wouldn't say that. Stop making fool of yourself. He didn't absolve northern leaders of any blame. He just pointed out that you can just blame northerners for the mess this country is in today

3 Likes

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by temblor1(m): 3:33pm On May 18, 2020
BafanaBafana:

If you read and understood well, you wouldn't say that. Stop making fool of yourself. He didn't absolve northern leaders of any blame. He just pointed out that you can just blame northerners for the mess this country is in today
You're the fool here. I don't have time for you. Just shove your nepotistic, myopic, unbridled fanatic views down your butthole.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Dtribeless: 3:47pm On May 18, 2020
DanHaske:
2. Olusegun Obasanjo
3. Goodluck Jonathan

The North is the problem not because of the leaders they produce, but because of the Northern peoples' religious fatalism. They refuse to develop human capital/themselves. If Northern Nigeria develops the same human capital as the South, the countries GDP will be 4 times what it is now. But no; they want Sharia and feudalism -- and other backward 5th century stuff. This the problem; the leaders in both regions are of equally poor quality.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Justiceleague1: 3:57pm On May 18, 2020
Rubbish.
The retrogressive north remains Nigeria's problem.

Thunda Faya Lugard seriously faya 1914 amalgamation.
Economic drawbacks

2 Likes

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by powerhouse3(m): 4:14pm On May 18, 2020
Any one that believe another tribe is their reason for slow pace development is a FOOl.

Now let me use my state,Akwa ibom as an example

2008 alone ,Akwa ibom state under Akpabio made ,174billion more that the 5 Eastern state combine

209billion more than Nw,state combine...

And Akpabio was Jonathan man friday which mean most of the road he did was highly subsidies by Jonathan's government,... including the stadiums....

And today ,the only thing he can boast of,is tiring of road, and whereas Governor Chime with meagre federal allocation and ill health also tare road ..

Now ,if Akpabio was humane enough to give us one or two industry ,will an Akwa ibomite still troop to Lagos in search of green pasture..

Now ,is successor instead of building industry's,he was to built a 5billion naria worship centre ,and someone want me to blame BUHARI for that

While 10 %of blame goes to the president, the remaining 90%goes to my Governor,my local government chairman ,my councillor and all the people representing akwa ibom ,the senator ,the house of rep,the minister and the ambassador..

when Amaechi was screaming that Jonathan should share the SWF,how many ordinary Nigerian benefitted from it

1 Like

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Justiceleague1: 4:29pm On May 18, 2020
powerhouse3:
Any one that believe another tribe is their reason for slow pace development is a FOOl.

2005 alone ,Akwa ibom state under Akpabio made ,174billion more that the 5 Eastern state combine

1 Like

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Yobabad: 4:40pm On May 18, 2020
Not the north as a whole, is Hausa fulani and then some local yoru...ba Muslims

1 Like

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by gidgiddy: 4:42pm On May 18, 2020
DanHaske:

It is very important to correct some mistakes here. A lot of people like to Decree 34 or unification decree but many people have not read it. The unification decree did not damage Nigeria in anyway. All that decree did was standardize the structure of the civil service. The decree that damaged Nigeria was Gowons Decree 14 that abolished the Regions and took away resource control. Ironsi was the only Military Ruler who kept true federalism

Secondly, the fact Ironsi did not bring the coup plotters to book in the 6 months he was in office is not what led to the war. The war did not start until a year after Ironsi died. What led to the war was Gowons refusal to keep to the Aburi agreement he signed with Ojukwu.

3 Likes

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by helinues: 4:48pm On May 18, 2020
tongue
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by BlackfireX: 4:58pm On May 18, 2020
Children of the North:

Boko haram

Religious fanatics

Almajiri

Herdsmen

Illiteracy

Drug abuse

Kidnapping

Less value for life

Should I go on??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by DanHaske: 5:27pm On May 18, 2020
BlackfireX:
Children of the North:

Boko haram

Religious fanatics

Almajiri

Herdsmen

Illiteracy

Drug abuse

Kidnapping

Less value for life

Should I go on??
Go out and play please, your mates are not here. Elders are discussing here

2 Likes

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Danzysb(m): 5:28pm On May 18, 2020
Well,for me,I think the system of the country has a major role to play in that.However I think if the north can curb their poverty, illiteracy and religious violence things would turn out better.
North contributes to more than 70% of the country's poverty.
*Fulani herdsmen terrorists
*Boko Haram
*Religious Beheading and violence
*Alhamajiri beggars(Little children sent to beg on the street)
*Quota system
Etcetera.....
People from the south will score 130 to enter Unity secondary schools schools and someone in the north will score 9 and will be given free entrance into unity schools and that same people from north will be given a high position in political office,It's as I they hate merit system.. angry I don tire biko...
The north currently has most of their people in high political offices,what are they doing there?
We still need to correct flaws and corruption in all parts of Nigeria though.
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by DanHaske: 5:29pm On May 18, 2020
gidgiddy:

It is very important to correct some mistakes here. A lot of people like to Decree 34 or unification decree but many people have not read it. The unification decree did not damage Nigeria in anyway. All that decree did was standardize the structure of the civil service. The decree that damaged Nigeria was Gowons Decree 14 that abolished the Regions and took away resource control. Ironsi was the only Military Ruler who kept true federalism

Secondly, the fact Ironsi did not bring the coup plotters to book in the 6 months he was in office is not what led to the war. The war did not start until a year after Ironsi died. What led to the war was Gowons refusal to keep to the Aburi agreement he signed with Ojukwu.
What led to the Aburi accord in the first place? Was it not the unfortunate massacre of easterners in the north? Had Ironsi done what was just, it wouldn't have happened!
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Danzysb(m): 5:53pm On May 18, 2020
DanHaske:

What led to the Aburi accord in the first place? Was it not the unfortunate massacre of easterners in the north? Had Ironsi done what was just, it wouldn't have happened!

No now! Massacre of Easterners in the north have been going on since the 1940's so it's not a matter of if ironsi did this or that.Is it that they just do it for fun or what?,they've been massacring other Nigerians for long now!
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Dtribeless: 6:18pm On May 18, 2020
DanHaske:

And the south...
Armed robbery

Kidnapping

Internet fraud

Drug abuse

Drug peddling both local and international

Money rituals

Baby factory

Cannibalism

Witchcraft

Prostitution (local and international)

Human trafficking

Religious fraudsters

Selling of their own children

Cultism

Child abuse

Incest

Should I go on?

Please go on. It's clear you do not want a real conversation on this issue; you want an internet food fight, which means nothing really. Really, the South thinks it's shackled to never-do-wells who also have the effrontery to display arrogance. I say it's not arrogance; it's low self esteem in disguise. You know you people are far too backward.
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Blackking98(m): 6:23pm On May 18, 2020
powerhouse3:

2005 alone ,Akwa ibom state under Akpabio made ,174billion more that the 5 Eastern state combine

209billion more than Nw,state combine...

And Akpabio was Jonathan man friday which mean most of the road he did was highly subsidies by Jonathan's government,... including the stadiums....

And today ,the only thing he can boast of,is tiring of road, and whereas Governor Chime with meagre federal allocation and ill health also tare road ..

Now ,if Akpabio was humane enough to give us one or two industry ,will an Akwa ibomite still troop to Lagos in search of green pasture..

Now ,is successor instead of building industry's,he was to built a 5billion naria worship centre ,and someone want me to blame BUHARI for that

While 10 %of blame goes to the president, the remaining 90%goes to my Governor,my local government chairman ,my councillor and all the people representing akwa ibom ,the senator ,the house of rep,the minister and the ambassador..

when Amaechi was screaming that Jonathan should share the SWF,how many ordinary Nigerian benefitted from it

akpabio took over in 2007 oga I don't know which planet you're living in. That aside yes akpabio tried anyway but what people don't know is that if akpabio used 70% of Akwa Ibom Money that time wisely and judiciously omo we for no get competition aside Lagos
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by gidgiddy: 6:45pm On May 18, 2020
DanHaske:

Easterners have been massacred in North long before the first coup. In Jos in 1945 and Kano 1953, Easterners were massacred. The killing of Easterners is a continuous thing that has never stopped, coup or no coup. If Easterners were to retaliate for all the times the North have massacred Easterners, there would be no Northerner in the East today.
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by powerhouse3(m): 7:25pm On May 18, 2020
Blackking98:
akpabio took over in 2007 oga I don't know which planet you're living in. That aside yes akpabio tried anyway but what people don't know is that if akpabio used 70% of Akwa Ibom Money that time wisely and judiciously omo we for no get competition aside Lagos
my bad ,pertaining to the year ,...its 2008 precisely,...I will modify it,...

Akpabio could've been the savior, but corruption couldn't let akwa ibom witness true transformation which was his slogan...

sosongho for that correction, nyah modify..etubom ke afo ado
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by 24kmagic: 7:33pm On May 18, 2020
North isn't actually the problem per say, Islam is! Islam is everything bad.
Backwardness, illiteracy, almajiri, stagnation, unproductivity, subjugation, etc are all the hallmarks of Islam.

This is the major reason why this country is the way it is. No law can be fully passed in the national assembly without considering how it affects Islam.The other reason is ethnicity but that one can be managed.

If northern Nigeria was a non Muslim dominated region, things would have been a little bit ok.

Truly, ISLAMABAD

2 Likes

Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by DanHaske: 7:34pm On May 18, 2020
Dtribeless:

Please go on. It's clear you do not want a real conversation on this issue; you want an internet food fight, which means nothing really. Really, the South thinks it's shackled to never-do-wells who also have the effrontery to display arrogance. I say it's not arrogance; it's low self esteem in disguise. You know you people are far too backward.
Your opinion though. I made a mistake replying some fool up there. Please unquote me.
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by DanHaske: 7:45pm On May 18, 2020
Danzysb:

No now! Massacre of Easterners in the north have been going on since the 1940's so it's not a matter of if ironsi did this or that.Is it that they just do it for fun or what?,they've been massacring other Nigerians for long now!
Do it for fun? Haba bros! What happened in 1966 was different.
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Blackking98(m): 8:08pm On May 18, 2020
powerhouse3:
my bad ,pertaining to the year ,...its 2008 precisely,...I will modify it,...

Akpabio could've been the savior, but corruption couldn't let akwa ibom witness true transformation which was his slogan...

sosongho for that correction, nyah modify..etubom ke afo ado
mfna ibahga bro
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Dtribeless: 9:26pm On May 18, 2020
DanHaske:

Your opinion though. I made a mistake replying some fool up there. Please unquote me.

Without that the topic you brought up is entirely fraudulent. You and I know the issues with our parts of the country. No one is complaining of leaders, as all sides are corrupt; it's the common people on both sides that really define the regions. Folks on the Northern end are not holding up their part of the bargain. They have refused to develop, and I believe we both have the same intellectual capacity. It's religious fatalism that explains the difference, and I'm almost entirely sure you know that; but you believe closing your eyes to it will qualify for a reward from Allah.
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by DanHaske: 9:45pm On May 18, 2020
Dtribeless:

Without that the topic you brought up is entirely fraudulent. You and I know the issues with our parts of the country. No one is complaining of leaders, as all sides are corrupt; it's the common people on both sides that really define the regions. Folks on the Northern end are not holding up their part of the bargain. They have refused to develop, and I believe we both have the same intellectual capacity. It's religious fatalism that explains the difference, and I'm almost entirely sure you know that; but you believe closing your eyes to it will qualify for a reward from Allah.
You don't know! Stop presenting your thoughts and opinions as knowledge.
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by Dtribeless: 9:53pm On May 18, 2020
DanHaske:

You don't know! Stop presenting your thoughts and opinions as knowledge.

Everything you originally posted is an opinion, no? Because your ignorance on the Bakassi issue was glaring.
Re: The North Is The Problem Of Nigeria? by BlackfireX: 11:45pm On May 18, 2020
DanHaske:

Go out and play please, your mates are not here. Elders are discussing here

And you are what exactly?? Alhaji Metu?

(1) (Reply)

Igbos Are The Most Industrial Group And The Livewire Of Nigerian Economy. / Ikeja Electricity Company Sent Me A Text On My New Mtn Line. / Obaseki's Speaker Removed Yesterday Is Already Scheming To Dump Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.