Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? (2280 Views)

15 Bible Verses To Encourage You / Did The Bible Condemn Polygamy And Yul Edochie's Second Marriage? / Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Kobojunkie: 8:45am On May 20, 2020
KingAzubuike:
Actually he did. Read the book of ecclesiastes again.
undecided undecided
Actually he didn't. If you read the book, you will find that it reads like the musings of a somewhat depressed mind, in a way. I find it fascinating
KingAzubuike:
Yeah you're right he later turned to Astarte (the goddess of the Sidonians) and Milcom. Just as the bible said, he was a very wise man because just like he said in the book of Matthew 19, he also expected Solomon to give up all his wealth , sell them off but Mr Solomon wasn't that foolish. And you know the funniest thing, his worship of idols never stopped him from attaining more wealth. According to the Bible, he was worth over $2 trillion dollars and even after he set up a temple for Astarte, he continued to receive millions of dollars worth of gold each year.
I know of no such expectations placed on Solomon after God blessed him, Solomon, with wealth to begin with. He was never told to sell off his belongings, and God never took back the blessing He(God) had placed on Solomon. undecided
KingAzubuike:
Very laughable, what about the Innocents souls in RCCG and Winners who have been loyal to him since they were born yet still living in abject poverty and squalor. Why is he turning deaf ears to their cry ?
Do they worship God or do they worship the god of RCCG and/or Winners? God said anyone who comes to Him must Obey His commandments. That is how it works. undecided undecided
Are you wanting to saving those innocent souls you refer to by helping them out of poverty to maybe prove to God that you are better than He is? undecided undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Kay25(m): 8:57am On May 20, 2020
[quote author=KingAzubuike post=89675493]The Bible seem to condemn the rich alot and encourages you to be poor . Even if you are wealthy, this same Bible task you to give to the needy by force else you face eternal damnation. Like it's an obligation? Why must the Bible dictate how a man spends his sweat and what to do with it. It's even as bad as saying it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.. Very pathetic.
Well the bible is authoritative because it is the word of God and that's what you are to live by since the just lives by faith.but on the issue of the rich God never condemn you being wealth if he did ?why was Solomon wealthy and rich?Deuteronomy 8vs 18 He said he giveth thee power to get wealth but what you are referring to is of the riches that hinders you from serving God which is a mammon and that's why jesus said it is hard for a rich man to make heaven Matthew 19 vs 24.when you are rich without knowing or acknowledgin God your wealth is foolishness to Him.what God wants is for you to be rich yet know Him as the doer of all things .in a bit of that you can use your riches rightly by giving to the poor out of it which Is what is called charity and laying up a treasure for yourself in heaven.God is not against you being rich he is against wealth that does not give him the glory.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 5:00pm On May 20, 2020
[quote author=Kay25 post=89749564][/quote]
This is meaningless honestly. So it's an obligation for a rich man to give to the poor? What happened to the God they've been praying to for financial blessings? If you ask me , he's just shying away from his obligations . Check Deuteronomy 15:7-9 If there are poor among you, in one of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be selfish or greedy toward them. But give freely to them, and freely lend them whatever they need.. Like I should freely give them whatever they need and ask for coz na me born them abi grin And don't tell me he giveth power to be rich. There are several rich people in the Bible who were non believers so how come?
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 20, 2020
Please can you quote anywhere in the scriptures where, when or how a man of God gave his money to the poor? undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by truespeak: 5:48pm On May 20, 2020
KingAzubuike:
The Bible seem to condemn the rich alot and encourages you to be poor . Even if you are wealthy, this same Bible task you to give to the needy by force else you face eternal damnation. Like it's an obligation? Why must the Bible dictate how a man spends his sweat and what to do with it. It's even as bad as saying it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.. Very pathetic.

Proverbs 28 :Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.

Luke 12 : Sell your possessions, and give to the needy.

James 5; Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. .You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter.

Revelation 3: For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.

Proverbs 21 : Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered.

Luke 21: Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

Ezekiel 7: They cast their silver into the streets, and their gold is like an unclean thing. Their silver and gold are not able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the Lord. They cannot satisfy their hunger or fill their stomachs with it. For it was the stumbling block of their iniquity.

James 5: Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you.

It's no doubt good to give to the needy but the Bible ought not to make it seem like it's an obligation because when they were hustling, their poor counterpart were either sleeping or praying to him. Now that the hustle paid off, he must now give part of it to the poor ? A must? What for? It shouldn't be a must and he shouldn't be threatened with misery and hell because of the misfortune of another man. I've never seen a book so authoritative.

If what you say is true, how do you explain the likes of Abraham, Isaac ,Jacob, David, Job and all of God's true followers, who were not just blessed but greatly blessed and in all things!!!
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Mdmelijah: 6:02pm On May 20, 2020
hayoholla:
It is more easier to control the poor, than to control the rich grin
Money controls the rich, what is this one saying. Threaten to burn a man store down first and see if he won't do anything not to lose his money.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Mdmelijah: 6:04pm On May 20, 2020
HitlerGaddafi:
As far as the Bible is concerned, it's a big crime else you buy yourself an estate in hell. Ever wondered my most over religious Christian's are poor?
and you have actually read a significant portion of the bible?
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Mdmelijah: 6:08pm On May 20, 2020
KingAzubuike:
. I've never seen a book so authoritative.
Well when you die you will understand.

I wonder how authoritative I would be if I was the most powerful man in Ikoyi
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Mdmelijah: 6:11pm On May 20, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Sorry aburo, the wealth I've accumulated in this life, your current generation and the unborn ones can never attain such feat okay? So look for your mates to exchange words with.
really cheesy but wait God blessed you na, or you don't believe grin what if God removes His blessing shocked

How about it, why not dare God to curse you if he isn't the one who allowed you to prosper. I mean he can't have authority can he
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Mdmelijah: 6:13pm On May 20, 2020
KingAzubuike:

It's not that you make meaning out of scriptures, you're only being gullible and easily manipulated. You people barely think properly. Someone who thinks well can easily see alot of flaws in a book written by man called the Bible.
but you that is wise tell us. Did the son of God, born of a woman exist or not
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Mdmelijah: 6:15pm On May 20, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Or in your infinite knowledge, tell me how you can make meaning of the book of Romans that says that we are saved by faith alone without works

But in James 2:24, it says A man is justified by works, and not by faith only
I can't believe a wise man such as u didn't see that Justified and saved are different words.

Aint you proving the bible right, a fool says in his heart there is no God
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Mdmelijah: 6:16pm On May 20, 2020
YongeeB4431:

Bro Abeg help me with any amount 1380274861 Access bank Basit Agunbiade Thank you God bless
grin lol, abeg did he send u anything
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Kay25(m): 6:18pm On May 20, 2020
KingAzubuike:

This is meaningless honestly. So it's an obligation for a rich man to give to the poor? What happened to the God they've been praying to for financial blessings? If you ask me , he's just shying away from his obligations . Check Deuteronomy 15:7-9 If there are poor among you, in one of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be selfish or greedy toward them. But give freely to them, and freely lend them whatever they need.. Like I should freely give them whatever they need and ask for coz na me born them abi grin And don't tell me he giveth power to be rich. There are several rich people in the Bible who were non believers so how come?
if it is meaningless to you I can't convince you maybe when u meet God you can ask him why?but I know for sure he does not do this that does not bring glory to him and out of love ...its just a pratice for selfless love.I pray the holyspirit of God will bring the light of Jesus words to you then u will understand
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by truespeak: 6:21pm On May 20, 2020
Maximus69:
Please can you quote anywhere in the scriptures where, when or how a man of God gave his money to the poor? undecided

Job verily did. Job 29:12, 13,15,16
The disciples of Christ and the first Christians did same. Acts 4:32,34,35.
The Church in Phillipa. Phillipians 4:10.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 20, 2020
truespeak:

Job verily did. Job 29:12, 13,15,16
The disciples of Christ and the first Christians did same. Acts 4:32,34,35.
The Church in Phillipa. Phillipians 4:10.

Please where exactly was it written that a man of God gave money to the poor? undecided

Of course we all at one time or another assisted a neighbour in need but giving money to a beggar never appeared in any part of the scriptures! undecided
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 7:14pm On May 20, 2020
Maximus69:

Please where exactly was it written that a man of God gave money to the poor? undecided

Of course we all at one time or another assisted a neighbour in need but giving money to a beggar never appeared in any part of the scriptures! undecided
So you've forgotten about the book of Matthew where a man wanted to know jesus and Jesus told him to go and swell all his belongings and give them away before he can serve him. The man did as he said.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 20, 2020
KingAzubuike:

So you've forgotten about the book of Matthew where a man wanted to know jesus and Jesus told him to go and swell all his belongings and give them away before he can serve him. The man did as he said.

No Sir!

Jesus said so because the guy loved his riches more than God! Luke 18:18-23

But Jesus and his own followers NEVER gave a dime to the poor!

You need to know the meaning of what Jesus said, if it's about giving money to the poor at least we will see one example where he or his followers did just so! smiley
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by truespeak: 8:47pm On May 20, 2020
Maximus69:

See! You have changed post after I answered you. You clearly said poor, which I have answered, now you change to beggar

The poor and the beggar are not the same. The poor is poor and in want but even a rich man can be a beggar. But it is clear, the poor is NOT a rich man.

Therefore I have proven that the Bible recorded that people of God give to the poor in answer to your question at the first!
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 20, 2020
truespeak:

See! You have changed post after I answered you. You clearly said poor, which I have answered, now you change to beggar

The poor and the beggar are not the same. The poor is poor and in want but even a rich man can be a beggar. But it is clear, the poor is NOT a rich man.

Therefore I have proven that the Bible recorded that people of God give to the poor in answer to your question at the first!

Hmmmmmmmm you don't get my point, either poor or beggars there is no record of a poor man or woman in the Bible that was given any money from Genesis to Revelation!

Of course people do help one another, but when we talk of poor what comes to the minds of most people is the picture of that beggar in the street! smiley
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 1:44am On May 21, 2020
The Bible(series Word of God) do not encouraged to be poor!
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 7:10am On May 21, 2020
Oluwadamilare118:
The Bible(series Word of God) do not encouraged to be poor!
Proverbs 6:9-11 smiley
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 7:11am On May 21, 2020
Maximus69:

No Sir!

Jesus said so because the guy loved his riches more than God! Luke 18:18-23

But Jesus and his own followers NEVER gave a dime to the poor!

You need to know the meaning of what Jesus said, if it's about giving money to the poor at least we will see one example where he or his followers did just so! smiley
Oga , I said the book of Matthew when a man sought to enter the kingdom of God. Jesus simply told him sell what you are possessing, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in the heavens;
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 7:27am On May 21, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Oga , I said the book of Matthew when a man sought to enter the kingdom of God. Jesus simply told him sell what you are possessing, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in the heavens;

Hmmmmmmmm it's like the same story that Luke recorded Sir! Matthew 19:16-22 compare to Luke 18:18-23

You only need to read your Bible to ascertain the quoted texr first before commenting Sir! smiley

The POOR there never means people who NEED money but people who WANTS it, you may have millions in your bank account but don't depend on it while you may not have up to 10,000 yet your heart is after billions! 1Timothy 6:7-10

What Jesus meant is

"leave material riches for people who trusted in it, but you come follow me to prove you believe (trust) in God" compare to Zephaniah 1:18

God bless you! smiley
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Perfectbeing(m): 8:35am On May 21, 2020
In bible reading, context is king.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 10:40am On May 21, 2020
Maximus69:

Proverbs 6:9-11 smiley

Abi o
Prov. 22/29!
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 10:44am On May 21, 2020
May God bless you! smiley
Oluwadamilare118:

Abi o
Prov. 22/29!

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 10:45am On May 21, 2020
Maximus69:
May God bless you! smiley

Amen in Jesus name!

Shalom

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by truespeak: 11:52am On May 21, 2020
Maximus69:

Hmmmmmmmm you don't get my point, either poor or beggars there is no record of a poor man or woman in the Bible that was given any money from Genesis to Revelation!

Of course people do help one another, but when we talk of poor what comes to the minds of most people is the picture of that beggar in the street! smiley

Ah! I have already answered you. Stop trying to change what has been settled.

You asked about proof of giving to the poor. I have given you proof and it is settled.

Now you still want to change it a second time. First from poor to beggar.

Now, you are going from poor and beggar to particular and specific poor which we all know is not recorded and is not in contention.

You clearly asked for PROOF of GIVING TO THE POOR not an indentified or known poor but you called for the proof of giving to any undentified and unidentifiable poor, which I have long since supplied and it is rested.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 21, 2020
truespeak:

Ah! I have already answered you. Stop trying to change what has been settled.

You asked about proof of giving to the poor. I have given you proof and it is settled.

Now you still want to change it a second time. First from poor to beggar.

Now, you are going from poor and beggar to particular and specific poor which we all know is not recorded and is not in contention.

You clearly asked for PROOF of GIVING TO THE POOR not an indentified or known poor but you called for the proof of giving to any undentified and unidentifiable poor, which I have long since supplied and it is rested.

It's spiritual NOT physical, Jesus and all other prophets of God give people spiritual things! smiley
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 5:30pm On May 21, 2020
Maximus69:

It's spiritual NOT physical, Jesus and all other prophets of God give people spiritual things! smiley
Ah bros take am easy now. The loaves of bread Jesus used to feed 5k people na spiritual abi .

And you saying jesus was against giving all your belongings is false. Check the book of Matthew 26 from verse 6
While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.”

Mind you while she poured that perfume on him, he was smiling and happy. When one of his deciples questioned that action, he simply rebuked them and told them the woman did a wise thing.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by forlexxy(m): 5:52pm On May 21, 2020
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by forlexxy(m): 5:55pm On May 21, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Is God Loving God If He Destroy Humans? / Christian Attrocities On Pagan Peoples / The Zealous African Christians And The Backsliding European Evangels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.