Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,145 members, 7,811,219 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Who Gets 2015? North Or East? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Gets 2015? North Or East? (3133 Views)

Da Fvck Is South South? Why No North North Or West West Or East East? / 2015: North Will Burn If Jonathan Wins 2015 Election – Eurasia Group / 2015: North Bids For Power Shift (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Vigilante: 8:42pm On Jan 16, 2011
With the massive support given to GEJ by the East, do they sincerely think they will net 2015. Will GEJ deliver?
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Vigilante: 8:46pm On Jan 16, 2011
I believe its on this 2015 scale that GEJ and Sambo will part ways.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by ekubear1: 8:48pm On Jan 16, 2011
Has GEJ said definitively that he won't run for a 2nd term?
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Vigilante: 9:04pm On Jan 16, 2011
Wonders!!! Is second term still in the works? I thought Mr Fix It gave assurances for a single term.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by fstranger1: 9:18pm On Jan 16, 2011
Keep fooling una self

SE wont have a chance until 2035!
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by jason123: 9:23pm On Jan 16, 2011
@ OP
No one cares (except some igbos,hausas and yorubas) who the becomes the president. If a Northerner, Easterner or Westerner becomes the president, how would it affect his people if he is corrupt? I do not care if the core north or core igbo rules as long as he is honest and knows how to move the nation forward!
We really need to move away from this tribal politics. Its killing our country. MO
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by purplelady: 9:24pm On Jan 16, 2011
Gej tenure end 2018, SE will have the following 8 yrs, then SW next 8 yrs, then ,NE the next 8 yrs, Na rotation na!
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by fstranger1: 9:27pm On Jan 16, 2011
purplelady:

Gej tenure end 2018, SE will have the following 8 yrs, then SW next 8 yrs, then ,NE the next 8 yrs, Na rotation na!

Ode!

Gej tenure ends 2019, SE will have the following 8 yrs till 2027, then SW next 8 yrs till 2035, then , then SE, it they dont screw it up again, the next 8 yrs
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Olaedo1: 9:30pm On Jan 16, 2011
NewsMonste:

2015 Is not about who takes over. I bet you, no matter where the President will come from, what will ache the minds, hearts and thoughts of Nigerians, is the condition of their well-being. Lets make every day of the next four years count, by making sure that the President after the 2011 elections rules so positively that Nigerians will never talk about Presidential geo-politics ever again!

True talk.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Afam4eva(m): 9:33pm On Jan 16, 2011
It's more feasible for the North to produce a president in 2015. That's if GEJ will step down after one term in office. As for Igbos AKA South east d em go jones if dem think say north go allow dem take 2015 when dem brother just rule finish. That one will amount to another civil war. The way things are going the only time an Igbo man will become the president of this country is when every region will decide to go solo. Igbo man don suffer.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by fstranger1: 9:36pm On Jan 16, 2011
^^^

True talk!

If Igbos had supported Atiku in the PDP primaries, he prolly might have won!
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Afam4eva(m): 9:38pm On Jan 16, 2011
Igbos had a greater chance if a northerner had won the PDP primaries. But just that most of the northerners that were paraded were bunch of ndioshis(thiefs).
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by ekubear1: 10:44pm On Jan 16, 2011
^--- Sambo will just allow himself to be shoved aside for an Igbo? Why?
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by fstranger1: 10:46pm On Jan 16, 2011
eku_bear:

Dont mind the dimwit; I think he is high on Taba!
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by dempeople(m): 10:53pm On Jan 16, 2011
eku_bear:

Sambo is just one person. Things are changing otherwise, Atiku would've been flagbearer by now.

fstranger1:

Dont mind the dimwit; I think he is high on Taba!

Get behind me satan. I bind you.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by ekubear1: 10:57pm On Jan 16, 2011
It isn't even Sambo specifically I mean so much as the region he represents.

What about the North and Middle Belt? You think they'd be keen on being shut out of political power?

Who are the allies the SE will line up to support their quest for presidency in 2015 or 2019?
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by fstranger1: 11:05pm On Jan 16, 2011
Same reason why GEJ did not want to respect the gentle man agreement of Zoning is why Sambo would not agree to step down for the SE

I actually see Sambo becoming the president after GEJ is done.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Olaedo1: 11:06pm On Jan 16, 2011
Sambo will not be chosen as the PDP aspirant becausr a southerner will have to be picked for the Vp slot.The northerners behind the scene,who run things,will not allow sambo because he is a pure Hausa man.If he is president then fulani dominance will be ended. They will not allow that.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by dempeople(m): 11:06pm On Jan 16, 2011
eku_bear:

It isn't even Sambo specifically I mean so much as the region he represents.

What about the North and Middle Belt? You think they'd be keen on being shut out of political power?

Who are the allies the SE will line up to support their quest for presidency in 2015 or 2019?

Good questions. The north is politically divided.

Firstly, Usman Dan Fodio's house is in disarray. More and more politicians from the house are pursuing selfish interests.

Secondly, the middle belt is diverging away from the house of Arewa and are leaning towards the South, politically. This has been a gradual process since '98. They're becoming more pro-south by the day.

Thirdly, the south is unifying in ways only imagined before the '60s. Support for the SE wouldn't come in blocks but rather significantly dispersed.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by ekubear1: 11:15pm On Jan 16, 2011
@dem_people: Three points I agree with to some extent. However, this doesn't necessarily suggest a SE presidency. The North will want the presidency after GEJs tenure ends too. Which allies will the SE get to support their quest? And what concretely will they offer those allies in return?
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Onlytruth(m): 11:16pm On Jan 16, 2011
All you guys saying that Sambo will stop an Igbo presidency in 2015 are VERY POOR students of history and Nigerian politics.  undecided
You just witnessed a minority candidate (GEJ) winning LANDSLIDE throughout Nigeria, and you fail to see the message inherent in it.

For me, I learned that lesson in 2007 when Obasanjo simply tossed Atiku (a man who made him politically) to the dogs and simply picked a sick Yar adua. That is part of why Jonathan is president today.

You guys are still underestimating the power of a sitting Nigerian president. Obasanjo was all the lesson I needed, and GEJ just reconfirmed that lesson.

If GEJ wants an Igbo to succeed him, he will pull it off.
As for Sambo, he has two choices. Either he continues on as VP to the chosen Igbo candidate, or he will not get the support (if GEJ chooses an Igbo to succeed him). The Nigerian president was made this powerful by the 1999 constitution designed by the northern oligarchy. They never thought it could work against them. Well, here we are.

I have maintained that if Ndigbo are serious about succeeding Jonathan, it is very easy!
Are we not Nigerians? Are we not the only zone that has least produced a Nigerian head of state?
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Olaedo1: 11:21pm On Jan 16, 2011
Look nobody is stepping aside for anybody.jonathan made it clear that the presidency is not ZONED. The delegates will choose who they want.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Onlytruth(m): 11:29pm On Jan 16, 2011
Posted by: Ola edo

Look nobody is stepping aside for anybody.jonathan made it clear that the presidency is not ZONED. The delegates will choose who they want.

Of course nobody will step aside for anybody, but the Nigerian leader will have his way. OBJ did in 2007. GEJ will this year.
Zoning or no zoning. That is the point I'm trying to make.
So, only GEJ will determine his successor, thanks to the 1999 constitution and the powers heaped at the presidency.
Anyway, I'm done.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by dempeople(m): 11:30pm On Jan 16, 2011
eku_bear:

@dem_people: Three points I agree with to some extent. However, this doesn't necessarily suggest a SE presidency. The North will want the presidency after GEJs tenure ends too. Which allies will the SE get to support their quest? And what concretely will they offer those allies in return?

If the North was politically solid, GEJ wouldn't have won the primaries. How can one explain GEJ's victory in all states of the North except Sokoto, Zamfara and Kano? It shows you a sign of the times. Even I myself was quite very surprised to say the least. Atiku is arguably the most popular Fulani, a prodigy of Shehu Yar Adua's PDM. Indeed, there's serious fire up there in Fodio's college of thoughts.

If they can vote for GEJ, the thought of a SE president isn't far-fetched nevertheless, the power of incumbency taken aside or even into consideration. This means the first obstacle has been quashed. The second obstacle is which party will the SE candidate emerge from? If it is PDP -with VP from the North or SW then its a sure victory. This is the second and most difficult obstacle.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Afam4eva(m): 11:34pm On Jan 16, 2011
But what makes you guys think GEJ will support an Igbo presidency.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Onlytruth(m): 11:35pm On Jan 16, 2011
Also, I think that the process will be smoother and easier in the future. No one will present a dunce as Igbo candidate of course. We will present our best. cool
After that, we start making the case that we have not produced a Nigerian president and start making the necessary connections throughout Nigeria. You better believe that even the north will see our point.

They don't want a disintegrated Nigeria.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by ekubear1: 11:35pm On Jan 16, 2011
@dem_people: I do not think that GEJ's purchase of the Northern PDP delegates and his coercion of the Northern Governors (most of whom do NOT want to see Atiku become president, as this means that they'll not get the chance to run in 2015 or 2019) suggests anything about what the people of the core North feel about him.

@Onlytruth: If the powers of the president are unlimited, why no 3rd term for OBJ?  undecided
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Onlytruth(m): 11:39pm On Jan 16, 2011
Posted by: afam4eva

But what makes you guys think GEJ will support an Igbo presidency.

It all depends on Ndigbo.
If we make our case strongly to him (and I believe Ohanaeze started already), he will do it. The job is easier with him on the saddle because he can go to the north and make the case himself.
Believe me, it is very easy. All the north needs is to make sure that the Igbo candidate believes in ONE NIGERIA.
Shikena.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by fstranger1: 11:39pm On Jan 16, 2011
Onlytruth:

All you guys saying that Sambo will stop an Igbo presidency in 2015 are VERY POOR students of history and Nigerian politics.  undecided
You just witnessed a minority candidate (GEJ) winning LANDSLIDE throughout Nigeria, and you fail to see the message inherent in it.

Well, well, if we have to go there , we will. the only message I saw in the last PDP primaries is that he who pays more, gets the vote
I also learnt that contrary to what GEJ would have us believe, uncle Sege is still very much in-charge
I also learnt that the North is an unforgiving bloc, that as along as one of their own, I mean a core northerner, is not involved, they are not as forgiving of disrespect of their Icons as the other groups.

And knowing OBJ, and looking at his antecedents, from 1979 & in 2007, GEJ is handing over to the North, undoubtedly. It might not be Sambo specifically, but definitely, power is going back to the North,

For me, I learned that lesson in 2007 when Obasanjo simply tossed Atiku (a man who made him politically) to the dogs and simply picked a sick Yar adua. That is part of why Jonathan is president today.

What happened to Atiku would not have happened without the support of the Northern Oligarch. Atiku stepped over the line repeatedly and he was made to pay for it. If Sambo plays ball, he is abound to take over from GEJ.

You guys are still underestimating the power of a sitting Nigerian president. Obasanjo was all the lesson I needed, and GEJ just reconfirmed that lesson.

Well I really dont see why you are comparing OBJ with GEJ. GEJ paid is way to victory, of course, with OBJ and some powerful people from the North behind him.

If GEJ wants an Igbo to succeed him, he will pull it off.

It is not impossible for an Igbo candidate to succeed GEJ, but it would not be GEJ calling the shot. It is however going to be difficult to find an Igbo man acceptable to the North to lead the country. Ekwueme was SE's best chance, followed by Okadigbo, but both are dead. Nnamani seems likely, but not in 2015.

As for Sambo, he has two choices. Either he continues on as VP to the chosen Igbo candidate, or he will not get the support (if GEJ chooses an Igbo to succeed him). The Nigerian president was made this powerful by the 1999 constitution designed by the northern oligarchy. They never thought it could work against them. Well, here we are.

Hate to break it to you, Sambo is being groomed to take over from GEJ. Like OBJ said, the nigerian system should mirror the American system where Governors are picked/groomed to become presidents. And in this context, Sambo was picked  just so he could eventually take over from GEJ. Ever wonder why GEJ picked someone from the NW?

I have maintained that if Ndigbo are serious about succeeding Jonathan, it is very easy!

It is easy, but not that easy. the biggest factor mitigating against the Igbo candidacy is the dearth of comptenet and acceptable candidates. The North that refused to allow Abiola, a muslim and supposed ally, become president because they could not trust him as  a Yoruba man would find it difficult to allow an Igbo man mount the saddle of leadership. Any Igbo man aspiring for that post would have to pledge allegiance and loyalty to the North first of all. And I dont know, as of now, any detribalized  Igbo man  that would be acceptable to the rest of the south, let alone the North.

Are we not Nigerians? Are we not the only zone that has least produced a Nigerian head of state?

Igbos are Nigerians, but not Nigerians enough. They still need to do more to convince the rest of the country that they can be trusted with power. It is not just the North that is wary of Ndigbo, the SS and SW are apprehensive as well.
Re: Who Gets 2015? North Or East? by Onlytruth(m): 11:42pm On Jan 16, 2011
Posted by: eku_bear

@Onlytruth: If the powers of the president are unlimited, why no 3rd term for OBJ?

Firstly, because it is unconstitutional. He needed the constitution amended first and that is a no -no.

Secondly, he was too unpopular after second term. Almost all Nigerians wanted him gone!

Thirdly, Igbo presidency is one that all Nigerians know within their hearts that it is the right thing. So, it is an easier sell.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mrs Dame Patience Jonathan (presidents Wife) And Her Many Errrors! / Matters Arising / Onitsha River Port - October 2011 (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.