Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,988 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation (28444 Views)

Senate Considers Bill On Unemployment Benefit Scheme / Supreme Court: PDP Uncovers APC’s Plot To Frustrate Reversal Of Imo Judgment / Imo: PDP calls for reversal of verdict, resignation of CJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by surgical: 7:23am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:
Can somebody tell me why this corrupt Senate will not remove transmission of power from exclusive list to concurrent list so that State government that have capacity to generate can also transmit their power to the end users and also selling the excess to states that are in short supply.
With these many States will GI into PPP to build their power plants be it Gas, Coal or Solar powered.
Why is our leaders like running around a circle?
if I am a governor I will do everything to make sure power is available to my people 24hrs irrespective of the obstacles you stated here and let's see who will stop me.
It will now be between the entity and the people, the people will ask questions if the enemy of progress. The governors are just not ready to do anything nobody is holding them,exclusive list or not
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Anyahuruagu: 7:26am On May 20, 2020
See them as if they are after the common interests of the common man...
Nigerian leaders lack proper Managerial Attributes for common offices talkless of power.

They lack the capacity to handle PHCN/TCN in my own opinion.

These private guys run it as their own means of livelihood, if Govt takes over now it becomes another Govt property where anything can happen.

Instead of them to factor ways to boost energy, abi d waka wey Spending Waka for Germany no make sense again.?

WAKE UP NIGERIANS.
OUR GREEDY SENATORS AT IT AGAIN.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by DorianD(m): 7:26am On May 20, 2020
Carnival of eediots

1 Like

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by israelnedion(m): 7:29am On May 20, 2020
Am new here, please could u guys welcome me
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by SoNature(m): 7:31am On May 20, 2020
Wolgrace:
Suswan and Obj that time. Now, he moves to do what should rightly done years ago. Hypocrisy!!

-Nigerians, we are our own woes for electing quack and stomach-god mere rulers. Nigeria as a false union birthed and infiltrates corrupt spirits upon the lands. Reason the love, interest, zeal, passion, determination, patriotism, strategical ideas, and individual catalyst for change for a false united nation's progress is fainted beyond redemption, hence the "chop I chop mentality" as the almagamation is strictly business mentally and physically.

-Passion for your region is the best bet.. Secede quietly and peacefully.

It's not the fault of a voter, but the leader.

The politicians present themselves as good people during elections, but they will always change when they are declared the winner.

Nigerians cannot get someone from the moon to govern them because our leaders represent who we truly are. Believe it or not, Nigerians are NOT good people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by israelnedion(m): 7:31am On May 20, 2020
[b][/b]
israelnedion:
israelnedion:
israelnedion:
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Teenaira: 7:34am On May 20, 2020
PedroEastman:

One thing I know very well about power availability in Nigeria is that power can only be available if every power user have a prepaid meter. If we can achieve this, the power company will do all that is necessary to provide power so that money can come to their purse. If you don't believe me just look at the improvement in supply that came without any serious efforts from the customer in those areas where they recently installed prepaid meter enmass.

So if the government like, let them cancel the contract and give it to another set of thiefs Or let them change all the thief directors at TCN or any other organisation managing our power services or if Buhari likes, let him sack everybody and put only his Aboki friends. Almost everybody I know in the power service industry from the top to the most junior is a good thief. The only thing that can get them committed to providing power is to ensure that the money that comes in is directly related to the power they supply.

If there are no prepaid meters, there won't be light. This is not space science.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by oz4real83(m): 7:38am On May 20, 2020
jumper524:
Privatisation, govermentisation, PDP, and APC.
Power supply in Nigeria is still wack.

State govt needs to wake up to more responsibilities. The FG has failed in power supply.
the problem is not with state governments, it is a constitutional and federal govt problem. Our constitution does not permit states to generate, transmit and distribute power. If any state should engage in power generation, the state MUST transfer the generated power to the national grid to be used by everybody. Over the years, I have expected the NASS to amend that section of the constitution but they haven't. States can only extend electricity to rural areas but can't generate,transmit or distribute. Just like in the police force, states provide logistics to police but don't have power over the NPF.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Rawtruth1: 7:39am On May 20, 2020
Reading comments

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by edoairways: 7:45am On May 20, 2020
Teenaira:

One thing I know very well about power availability in Nigeria is that power can only be available if every power user have a prepaid meter. If we can achieve this, the power company will do all that is necessary to provide power so that money can come to their purse. If you don't believe me just look at the improvement in supply that came without any serious efforts from the customer in those areas where they recently installed prepaid meter enmass.

So if the government like, let them cancel the contract and give it to another set of thiefs Or let them change all the thief directors at TCN or any other organisation managing our power services or if Buhari likes, let him sack everybody and put only his Aboki friends. Almost everybody I know in the power service industry from the top to the most junior is a good thief. The only thing that can get them committed to providing power is to ensure that the money that comes in is directly related to the power they supply.

If there are no prepaid meters, there won't be light. This is not space science.
Not just prepaid metres but a slight increase in tariffs
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by enemyofprogress: 7:46am On May 20, 2020
Rubbish! They should stop deceiving themselves. They just want to be settled. If you know you know
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by edoairways: 7:46am On May 20, 2020
SoNature:

It's not the fault of a voter, but the leader.

The politicians present themselves as good people during elections, but they will always change when they are declared the winner.

Nigerians cannot get someone from the moon to govern them because our leaders represent who we truly are. Believe it or not, Nigerians are NOT good people.
The problem is still from the voters too. They vote out of sentiment, religiosity and nepotism

1 Like

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Brunicekid(m): 7:48am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:
Can somebody tell me why this corrupt Senate will not remove transmission of power from exclusive list to concurrent list so that State government that have capacity to generate can also transmit their power to the end users and also selling the excess to states that are in short supply.
With these many States will GI into PPP to build their power plants be it Gas, Coal or Solar powered.
CONFIRM POINT!!!
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by wink2015(m): 7:51am On May 20, 2020
The Senate on Tuesday asked the Federal Government to consider a comprehensive review of the power privatisation policy with a view to reversing the current arrangement.
The red chamber said Nigerians would not enjoy stable power supply in the next 10 years if the activities of the distribution companies were not reviewed and restructured .
The Senate President , Ahmad Lawan , stated this on Tuesday after the Senate had considered and approved a motion by Senator Gabriel Suswan on the power sector recovery plan .
He said , “ We gave power to them ( power generation and distribution companies ) and they still come to the public to ask for funds.
“ I think it ’ s time for Nigeria to consider reversing the privatisation of the power sector or they should just cancel the entire privatisation process completely .
“ If we leave it , we may not have power for another 10 years.”
Lawan said, “ The privatisation of the power sector has , so far , not been successful. We expected efficiency and effectiveness in the power supply .
“ The Discos have no capacity to supply us power . The Gencos have challenges too .
“ It is not a good commentary that we should continue to give them money . They ’re private businesses . We need to review this privatisation .
“ Our committee needs to investigate trillions spent. That ’s a lot of money .
“ Try to find out what has happened so far. Government needs to look at this whole thing .
“ Maybe , government is not doing its own part . We need to find out .
“ There is lack of capital, lack of investment. We feel very bad because we have no electricity and the country is suffering. ”
The Senate also urged the Federal Government to suspend the planned electricity tariff increase due to take effect from July given the increased hardship occasioned by the coronavirus pandemic.
The upper chamber also commended the Federal Government for the proactive initiative to establish the N 1. 7 tn Covid- 19 crisis intervention fund to cater for critical issues on effective management of the pandemic.
Suswam , had while leading debate on the general principles of the bill , said stable and uninterrupted power supply was also a critical factor in management of COVID -19 pandemic patients at the designated isolation and treatment centres across the country .
https://punchng.com/senate-demands-immediate-reversal-of-power-privatisation/

THEY SHOULD DO IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

But at the same time they should not go and sell it to their family member, friends and associates.

1 Like

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by galadima77(m): 7:51am On May 20, 2020
Story
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Flyingngel(m): 7:54am On May 20, 2020
surgical post:

if I am a governor I will do everything to make sure power is available to my people 24hrs irrespective of the obstacles you stated here and let's see who will stop me.
It will now be between the entity and the people, the people will ask questions if the enemy of progress. The governors are just not ready to do anything nobody is holding them,exclusive list or not.

Unfortunately, state government don't own any transmission line be it high or low tension cable so how will they evacuate the power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Jamesbiodun(m): 7:57am On May 20, 2020
let all state genate their let by themselves, anything FG controlled never work
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by SocialJustice: 7:57am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:
Nigeria matter tire person. Even this one they are talking, nothing will happen at the end of the day.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Urchman200: 7:59am On May 20, 2020
helinues:
grin

Misleading headline
very misleading headline,would have been suprised to see this rubber stamp house take an independent decision for one's.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by blackboy(m): 8:00am On May 20, 2020
Clowns. So we should go back to the era of NEPA. Or the government now has so much money to now manage and employ power workers.
Or carry out another sales which will be worse off than he last one or sold to themselves. The cycle continues. Greedy lawmakers.
NEPA was one of the worst things Nigeria had.
What they need to do is call NERC to order to check the DIscos. Sanctions should be in place to under performing discos. The Gencos need gas . Gencos dont produce gas. The suppliers of gas are not there or not being supported or sanctioned.

1 Like

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by watchindelta(m): 8:02am On May 20, 2020
For a whole country no single thing that you can pick out is working!
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by dederocs(m): 8:02am On May 20, 2020
They issued the power companies to themselves, that is why they are using public funds to run them.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Nobody: 8:02am On May 20, 2020
Will anything good ever come from this rubber stamp senators?
We are watching you guys let's see if you guys can reverse without collecting bribe. When it government property and compare to when it was privatised we have not experienced any difference in giving out services
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by surgical: 8:03am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:
surgical post:

It will now be between the entity and the people, the people will ask questions if the enemy of progress. The governors are just not ready to do anything nobody is holding them,exclusive list or not.

Unfortunately, state government don't own any transmission line be it high or low tension cable so how will they evacuate the power.
They can do it in their locality,local government by local government,they are not transmitting over long distances
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Stan2330(m): 8:04am On May 20, 2020
handie:
Seriously, the privatisation of the power sector has failed in all it's entirety. While the immediate past president can and should be blamed for his handling of the process (He virtually handed over a sector as critical as electricity to friends and cronies without considering their capacity to deliver), it goes further than that. Honestly, the privatisation should be reversed, a new and comprehensive plan that'd involve a total deregulation of the sector with both generation and distribution in the hands of competent private entities who would be selected by a transparent and credible process with the government only playing a regulatory role through the BEDC. Alas, I know the above won't happen. D senate are most probably bringing this up cause they want a settlement from the Discos. Nigeria's ruling elites cannot be this selfless..... Not when Mikano generators are still in the market

Nice idea but burahi can't solve Nigeria electricity problem..... let's just forget about it until after 2023
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Flyingngel(m): 8:08am On May 20, 2020
surgical post:

They can do it in their locality,local government by local government,they are not transmitting over long distances.

No bro, they need line to transmit it to households.
Power transmission is capital intensive and it take years to cover a large area in Nigeria case.
What the federal government shld do is to hand over the distribution lines in each state to the state government but hold back the regulation of the sector.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Pusyiter(m): 8:14am On May 20, 2020
SIMPLE
The gospel truth
we have been saying it for a longtime but they know the right thing but blatantly refused to implement
Flyingngel:
With these many States will go into PPP to build their power plants be it Gas, Coal or Solar powered.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by misterjosh(m): 8:15am On May 20, 2020
Privatisation didn't solve anything. Maybe they should try the decentralized approach now. States keep what electricity they generate, and send a quota to the national grid.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by MondayOsunbor(m): 8:15am On May 20, 2020
PedroEastman:

WHAT? UNA DO CHOP BILL GATES MONEY FINISH ALREADY?

USELESS NIGERIAN SENATE
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Kay17: 8:22am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:
With these many States will go into PPP to build their power plants be it Gas, Coal or Solar powered.

The legislative lists are mainly the competence of each legislature both national and state to make laws on the selected subjects. For power, only the federal legislature can make laws and regulations. Placing power in the concurrent list for 36 states to legislate on, will be chaotic. The single national grid would be subjected to 36 different laws and regulations of varying effects. No reasonable investor would want to put his money into the power sector with that kind of chaos.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by irepnaija4eva(m): 8:23am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:

My brother I have been asking this question for years..
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Martini101(m): 8:25am On May 20, 2020
To settle this issue once and for all. The three sectors of Power distribution in Nigeria are
-Generation
-Transmission
-Distribution

All of them have their individualized challenges, that hinder steady power supply in Nigeria. Let me list a few on each branch

GENERATION.
Fluctuating supply of gas to energize their power generators. Meanwhile, we (Nigeria)do not have generating capacity that can guarantee 24/7 to the entire country. Our generation have never exceeded 10,000MW as a nation with all our population while South Africa with a population of not up to 60million has a minimum of 40,000MW available.

TRANSMISSION.
Our transmission lines are outdated. Even with the newly constructed and ongoing transmission line projects, our installed transmission lines at the moment can not evacuate all the powers being generated at the moment. Else we risk transmission line failures at many places. You know how disastrous it can be. Our Generation has been between 4,500 and 6,000MW. You can google that if you doubt.

DISTRIBUTION.
This is the one nearest to the common man as they bear the blunt for the misdeed of all the other sectors. They have their own problems. Let’s assume that the other two sectors got their acts right, most distribution transformers we have today are heavily over loaded that it will explode within two days if there is 24/7 supply to it.

There are many more reasons for unsteady power supply from each sector of power in Nigeria, but let is ponder on the highlighted .

Nigeria Power system is so discombobulated that as a power expert, Steady power supply is still a mirage in this part of the world. We can only be managing for now, until the light goes off entirely if nothing is done. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

“Jack Must Pay” – Adamu Garba Explains His Absence In Court Against Twitter CEO / Boko Haram Attacks Christian-Majority Communities In Borno & Adamawa States / Fulani Elders Tackle Miyetti Allah Official Over Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.