Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,684 members, 7,831,124 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation (28440 Views)

Senate Considers Bill On Unemployment Benefit Scheme / Supreme Court: PDP Uncovers APC’s Plot To Frustrate Reversal Of Imo Judgment / Imo: PDP calls for reversal of verdict, resignation of CJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Lastmankc(m): 8:27am On May 20, 2020
See Gabriel susuwan as senator. This country is finish
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by adenigga(m): 8:29am On May 20, 2020
naija4life247:
Sign of madness. The Senators are mad. I know a mad man when I see one because I was born at Yaba, I had my Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education at Yaba, so I pass through the psychiatric hospital at Yaba regularly and I see mad men there. So I know mad men when I see them.

Two very mad men Obasanjo and Atikuchukwu sold NEPA to themselves, their families and their friends. These are the same two idiots that now think they are Nigeria's solution.

Yar'Adua came and reversed the criminal sale.

Goatluck Jonaddaft the ineffectual buffoon and prodigal came and sold NEPA back to Obasanjo and Atikuchukwu's families and friends and now included his(Goatluck) friends also.

Only the gods can settle this matter because God has been too patient with these generational looters.

But hope you stayed safe and maintained social distancing during those days o, so as not to be a victim of psychovirus?
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Peacecoy19: 8:31am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:
Can somebody tell me why this corrupt Senate will not remove transmission of power from exclusive list to concurrent list so that State government that have capacity to generate can also transmit their power to the end users and also selling the excess to states that are in short supply.
With these many States will go into PPP to build their power plants be it Gas, Coal or Solar powered.
Why is our leaders like running around a circle?
Generation and distribution were less problematic and needed less capital to make them work at the time GEJ government did the privatization.Transmissionwas considered to be in need of too much money and even laws of privatization should be different.But even gencos and discos have failed because the assets were sold to wrong people they just formed prozy companys.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Agugbadin: 8:33am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:
Can somebody tell me why this corrupt Senate will not remove transmission of power from exclusive list to concurrent list so that State government that have capacity to generate can also transmit their power to the end users and also selling the excess to states that are in short supply.
With these many States will go into PPP to build their power plants be it Gas, Coal or Solar powered.

Very Valid point
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Shizzyguy: 8:33am On May 20, 2020
I personally feel the Discos were sold to the wrong people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Teenaira: 8:34am On May 20, 2020
edoairways:

Not just prepaid metres but a slight increase in tariffs

If they like, let them increase tariff. I hope you know that if for whatever reason you do not use light for a whole month, they will still bill you just as if you used light for the full month. Does that have anything to do with tariff.

Every Nigerian should just help us to beg them to install prepaid meters for us. Remember also there was a time the Gencos are complaining that the Discos refuse to collect the power they produce. This can only happen because the Discos know that they can always give us any bill whether they provide power or not. Once they provide prepaid meters they know it is their responsibility to ensure power goes into it and if it doesn't, then no money. With the prepaid meters, whichever way they produce the power is their headache, we will only pay for what we consume.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Shizzyguy: 8:35am On May 20, 2020
Peacecoy19:
Generation and distribution were less problematic and needed less capital to make them work at the time GEJ government did the privatization.Transmissionwas considered to be in need of too much money and even laws of privatization should be different.But even gencos and discos have failed because the assets were sold to wrong people they just formed prozy companys.

Exactly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Joefat: 8:38am On May 20, 2020
[quote author=Flyinpost=89744903]Can somebody tell me why this corrupt Senate will not remove transmission of power from exclusive list to concurrent list so that State government that have capacity to generate can also transmit their power to the end users and also selling the excess to states that are in short supply.
Why is our leaders like running around a circle?/quote]

Because they have solar system and standby generator in their various house's. That's why they don't care about light. And the source of their income don't need light. Because it will be safer to steal in the dark than in the light.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Flyingngel(m): 8:40am On May 20, 2020
Kay17 post:

The legislative lists are mainly the competence of each legislature both national and state to make laws on the selected subjects. For power, only the federal legislature can make laws and regulations. Placing power in the concurrent list for 36 states to legislate on, will be chaotic. The single national grid would be subjected to 36 different laws and regulations of varying effects. No reasonable investor would want to put his money into the power sector with that kind of chaos.

I know, that was why I mention the Senate.
Transmission laws will be tailored based on each cos the federal government will handover their distribution lines to each state that it is domiciled.
There will nothing like sending it to the national grid except in excess.
What the federal government will with hold will be regulation so that substandard materials will not be used.
Investor will be state based like the Airport that states are building, it is the respective state that are managing it but are being regulated by the federal government thus the state tailored how they want to run it.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by edunwanna: 8:43am On May 20, 2020
@OP, but said dt ur wife is a witch.

See his monika.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by maasoap(m): 8:45am On May 20, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
Consider Wetin? Under Buhari regime abi.una never see anything .Though I miss the days of NEPA &PHCN.

Morron! Buhari regime didn't privatise power sector, your hero did

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by eenai(m): 8:51am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:

This is and has been the one and only solution to the power issue in Nigeria. Any right-thinking person knows that. But the Federal government and the senators and rep members are the biggest beneficiaries of the current arrangement, so they will always look the other way round. This cwantry is a joke.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by funshint(m): 8:53am On May 20, 2020
One of the worst legacies of GEJ. The power privatization he did was total rubbish. Just sold of NEPA to politicians who lacked capacity and technical know-how to undertake the power sector.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Nobody: 8:54am On May 20, 2020
SoNature:

It's not the fault of a voter, but the leader.

The politicians present themselves as good people during elections, but they will always change when they are declared the winner.

Nigerians cannot get someone from the moon to govern them because our leaders represent who we truly are. Believe it or not, Nigerians are NOT good people.

We are all Nigerians. Most leaders were never good at first which is evidently clear, they were all corrupt from the grassroot levels with the tendencies and aim to get elected at any cost for selfish purpose. THAT'S HOW NIGERIA AS A FALSE UNION IS VIEWED. The shady and crafty means to brainwash the voters to get elected reveals the intent of their hearts and bellies.

That means the corrupt leaders depicts the voters. That's the spirits roaming about and within us. We are our own problem!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by bizzibodi(m): 8:55am On May 20, 2020
Thunder fire discos,jona & cronies!After many yrs of take over,we hav not seen new transformers,prepaid meters after all d bail out government has been pumping into her,power we didn't see no added value!no improvement!!.For me Western coys like GE,Siemens,ABB shld handle power.

1 Like

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Nobody: 8:56am On May 20, 2020
DexterousOne:

Nigerians dont even have passion or loyalty for their region, state or local govt..

It's for themselves and pocket only

When we secede, we will know. Nigeria as a false nation birthed and infiltrates the ill-passion upon us.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by SoNature(m): 8:59am On May 20, 2020
Wolgrace:

We are all Nigerians. Most leaders were never good at first which is evidently clear, they were all corrupt from the grassroot levels with the tendencies and aim to get elected at any cost for selfish purpose. THAT'S HOW NIGERIA AS A FALSE UNION IS VIEWED. The shady and crafty means to brainwash the voters to get elected reveals the intent of their hearts and bellies.

That means the corrupt leaders depicts the voters. That's the spirits roaming about and within us. We are our own problem!

Nigeria is a f*cked up society.

Until we realize that separation or revolution is the only solution to this mess, this country will keep running round in circle
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by AsomughaChuks05: 9:25am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:
This is not the solution. You do it, you will still have the same bottlenecks that have hindered any progress since the privatization aka Nigerian factor. The Senators should just hand over everything , generation, transmission and distribution to a single reputable foriegn company like Siemens and you will see mind blowing improvement in power supply within 2 years.

1 Like

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Jaspero94(m): 9:42am On May 20, 2020
Mywifeisawitch:

https://punchng.com/senate-demands-immediate-reversal-of-power-privatisation/

The agreement was signed abroad so the government has no power over these people. They should probe and arrest the people that chose to sign away our destiny with these greedy animals.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by anigbajumo(m): 9:48am On May 20, 2020
surgical:
if I am a governor I will do everything to make sure power is available to my people 24hrs irrespective of the obstacles you stated here and let's see who will stop me.
It will now be between the entity and the people, the people will ask questions if the enemy of progress. The governors are just not ready to do anything nobody is holding them,exclusive list or not

Lol,u don't understand government my brother,Nigeria is not a banana republic.There is no way any state can fund 24/7 power transmission without seeking for international Loan,how will u get external loan without the approval of NEC or FG??
The Constitution needs to be amended first so that power transmission can be removed from exclusive list to concurrent list before anything can be done.

1 Like

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Okoroawusa: 10:10am On May 20, 2020
The ogogoro master try sha
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by alfredilly: 10:12am On May 20, 2020
Benin Electricity Distribution is a good enough reason why privatization must be repealed. Scanty power supply after 6 years of being in business. There activities in Ondo state is criminal. Despite cutting off power supply to three local government in Ondo south since 2014, the light supplied to the remaining local government is so erratic that a week of blackout has become an acceptable reality. The evil is all the more obvious in outrageous charges imposed on houses. An untenanted house is being made to part with 15 thousand monthly bill. I can tell you my house in Ore is currently suffering this fate.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by gnykelly(m): 10:13am On May 20, 2020
Babatunde40:
They should reverse the nonsense. Privatization was daylight robbery of Nigerians

They can give power companies goals and standard to meet. If they don't reach those goals or perform up to that standard, they should collect the companies.

actually there was standard but atiku is the one that single-handedly sold those companies by waiving the standard.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Babatunde40(m): 10:15am On May 20, 2020
gnykelly:

actually there was standard but atiku is the one that single-handedly sold those companies by waiving the standard.
Atiku? This had nothing whatsoever to do with Atiku. What year was the privatization done? Go check and see if Atiku was in government
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by gnykelly(m): 10:30am On May 20, 2020
Babatunde40:
Atiku? This had nothing whatsoever to do with Atiku. What year was the privatization done? Go check and see if Atiku was in government

atiku was in charge of BPE and sold off those asset
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by lastempero: 10:35am On May 20, 2020
I understand most of them are not intellectuals so they cant reason critically but can only scratch the surface. Liberate the power sector entirely from government and review the useless constitution that is giving the gencos and discos excessive power not to do the right thing. Someone built a power plant in aba which can cover the greater part of aba with 24hrs electricity( geometric to be precise) but the useless constitution cant allow the man to put the power plant into use,so who is fooling who here. Alot of private companies can build power plants that can cover wherever they are comfortably. Nlng powers the whole of bonny 24hrs so who says we cant do it.

1 Like

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Nobody: 10:41am On May 20, 2020
SoNature:

Nigeria is a f*cked up society.

Until we realize that separation or revolution is the only solution to this mess, this country will keep running round in circle

Which the corrupt system has become our mental and physical DNA. Reason, most our diasporans are quick to exhibit the toxic traits of it in another man's land. False union decays and stinks!!
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by chrisxxx(m): 10:43am On May 20, 2020
If guys like review, revoke or do not review, I have made up my mind to leave Nigeria immediately after this COVID 19 settles. It is enough.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Tonytonex(m): 11:12am On May 20, 2020
Please, they should do so with immediate effect. These people are thievez.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by WaffenSS(m): 11:14am On May 20, 2020
The same suswam that for 6 years was a major shareholder of jos disco , including Jang and David Mark.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by gr8child(m): 11:57am On May 20, 2020
The power industry can never be efficient without competition. We only transitioned from a government-owned monopoly to a privately owned one. How can there be efficiency when there is only one supplier for each electricity district and the consumer has no option to switch to another supplier when services become poor.

Anyway, the Reps are making empty noises. The FG does not have the will nor management capacity to provide the level of service required to improve electricity supply.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by chaloskyx: 12:23pm On May 20, 2020
each state should embark on its independent power project that was there would be accountability North solar and hydro plants, east coal plants, south gas plants west gas and solar plants. this is the 21st century why are our politicians behaving as if this is rocket science. the number one problem with Nigeria is leadership nothing more

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alex Nwankwo 'Alexreports' Emerges Anambra Accord Party Governorship Candidate / FG Declares Tuesday, Wednesday Public Holidays / Who Is The Most Active Minister At The Moment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.